Should we have a second LOTPW thread (or something similar)?

Ranger

Put it in the lounge. Too lazy to form an actual response to Ranger btw but I still don't think what he's suggesting is going to work out literally at all like how did he get to that conclusion ranger please what are you smoking and can I have some

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I thought about this again and I have another idea. I think it can be as relatively simple as a chat sub board where people can make new threads and old ones either get locked or merged.

Despite times the LOTPW gang has been welcoming, I think people are both often shy and unlikely to hop into a large thread. Allowing people the option to create a new "hi" thread in this sub board, they can post without worrying about that.

As long as this other thread remains decently active, it can be left alone. If it dies, we can either lock it or merge it with some catch all mega thread (it doesn't have to be the original chat thread, but it can be). That way, it won't matter if a new thread dies or not.

The other considerations I have in mind are the following:

• The original chat thread will never be locked. I think that thread should be pinned in the sub board too.
  • None of this affects LOTPW in any way.
  • I don't have an exact idea of what counts as "active" and "dead", I think that's up for debate.
  • If we go the lock route, I guess if someone really want to revive something they can? Likewise if we go the merge route, splitting is always an option?
  • I think people should be allowed to create a new thread if they see another one is active with a decent amount of post history. However, it would be spam if they kept creating new threads and not contributing to them. We may need a rule to determine what counts as a "decent post history" before someone makes a new thread, but that may be a little too undermining of this proposal.

I looked over the previous discussion but I don't have the energy to quote stuff.

I will say I think the concept of having a place is more important than the software of that place, considering both cBoxes are dead. However, I ultimately agree doing some weird place enforcement isn't going to help with anything. I think just starting a new thread is good enough for people to feel they can own their own little corner of the forums. Best of all, the LOTPW crowd can contribute to those other threads and suddenly connections can be made, which in turn may make new faces more comfortable to contribute to LOTPW discussion since they now know at least some of the people involved.

The merge route would definitely help on controlling clutter. The lock route would preserve history in case people want to ever go back to that thread...

I suppose we can do both. If a thread has a large enough post history it can get locked instead of merged. A random dead thread of six "hi" posts can be merged.

Another interesting consequence of this proposal is the thread title can always be changed. If say "hi 2" gets a lot more attention than everyone expects, the OP may change it to something a little more creative like, "cats cats cats". Or they'll keep "hi 2" just to spite me, who knows.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I feel like LOTPW could just not exist and it wouldn't change anything. We just don't have many active members right now is all

But if we did, they would naturally chat in more places than just LOTPW, like personal Lounge threads and the other general purpose chat threads when they don't care about what's going on in LOTPW/want to start their own subject

You're basically talking about trying to get the five or so really active members to split up where they chat, which is pointless. Activity happening in LOTPW doesn't hurt anything, except when it's good discussion that could've been an on-topic thread of its own - but that can happen with one chat thread or a thousand

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

(edited)

No, that's not my goal. I'm hoping to give new members what we had- an opportunity where they can have off-topic discussion without a topic without having to worry about being intimidated by older posters. The LOTPW gang will continue to post in LOTPW, that won't change. What I'm hoping will change is people new to the forums will post more and then feel less intimidated to ultimately join threads like LOTPW, and thus allow community growth

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I know what you're trying to get at Ranger and it's a commendable idea! The major flaw though is that is relies on a steady stream of new people, and we just haven't been having that lately. Maybe things will change--I know we've had periods of higher activity even within the time I've been here--but for now it's barely a trickle.

I really do agree about LOTPW being intimidating for a new person to jump into. The layers of internal references and unwritten rules, not to mention the learning curve of figuring out how to interact with some quite eccentric personalities, makes it an uphill battle for anyone who wants to try. There's also the problem that most of the regulars would rather talk to each other than engage with a new person, and when they do interact the interactions are often negative. I've tried to combat this the best I can by prioritizing talking to new members whenever I can, but I am just one person.

I do think a LOTPW alternative would be a good idea to give people a "soft landing" into this community, but in practice I don't know if we're big enough to sustain such a thing.

I actually just thought of another idea: What if LOTPW didn't appear by default in the activity tab? I remember when I was new to the forum I would use that tab to see what new discussions were happening, but everything was utterly buried under LOTPW silliness. Later on someone showed me how to create a custom tab that sorts things by which topics were most recently posted in, but that's not something that every new member is going to know how to do. The thing is, one may say that what happens in LOTPW doesn't effect the rest of the forum, but in reality everything is utterly buried by LOTPW when you check by latest activity. Taking it off the tab won't effect the LOTPW regulars--as they'll go straight to LOTPW regardless--but will make the other discussion a lot more visible to a lot more people.

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

When I joined the forum, I didn't even post in LOTPW for like, 3+ years. LOTPW is not the entry point for forum activity, it's just a chat thread for those of us who have stuck with the forum. Chat threads are entirely unnecessary for forum growth, all that's necessary is interesting threads to view and maybe post in. Tulpamancy has been discussed as heck already though, so there's not as much to talk about unless you're totally new, and more importantly, forums have pretty much been replaced by Reddit and Discord and such - and people tend to just not have the patience to partake in such an in-depth and longform format for content anymore.

There are already other chat threads for people to post in, and Lounge threads that are literally the least intimidating threads ever created - the one active place on the forum has nothing to do with it, and newbies usually browse by board and not "activity stream" anyways, so LOTPW is just some random thread to ignore for them (like it was for me when I joined)

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

It is true that forums in general have been largely replaced by Discord and Reddit. I can't speak for anyone else but my host and I still prefer forums because we're oldheads and are slow to adapt to new paradigms on the internet. 😄

The thing is, people are going to go where the most activity is. People may (and do) post topics on in-topic boards, but the main attractor of forums like this is still the social interaction, not the vast repository of information we've accumulated over the past decade, that's secondary. I really don't like the implication that "if you're new, LOTPW is not for you", which is what you seem to be saying. I think the entire forum should be open and welcoming to everyone! LOTPW should not be a middle school cafeteria table where only the cool kids can sit. Communities grow when they are dynamic and ever-changing with new people being welcomed into the fold, communities wither and die when they coalesce around a small group of insiders and push everyone else aside. I've personally seen it happen many times. (Well, my host has anyway!)

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

Chat threads are entirely unnecessary for forum growth, all that's necessary is interesting threads to view and maybe post in.

If this was a forum about paint.net software or about RWBY sure, but since tulpamancy is such a personal practice, having friends to share your progress with can make a huge difference. This is part of why I suspect newer faces stick together- they learn tulpamancy together roughly around the same time, so they have that thing in common. Sharing progress makes sense for them because they relate to each other. While I can give tulpamancy advice too, I don't think I'll have that same kind of connection simply because I have been in this game for almost 5 years now.

When Gray and I came in 2018, the forums were dead, far more dead than it is now. Gray stuck around to post beginner questions, but I wanted to interact with people. I was able to join LOTPW and things went from there. I know quite a bit about the regulars in that thread and even if I don't always want to chat, I have that sense of "oh, they're still around". Keep in mind that while we have lost people as usual, we didn't lose everyone. And a lot of us are from 2018. If we can retain more people in the future, perhaps we can build more activity in general.

47 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

Tulpamancy has been discussed as heck already though, so there's not as much to talk about unless you're totally new

Which I find completely sad, but that is the current reality of tulpamancy. Most people don't have a drive to discover more, likely because they are convinced there is nothing to discover. I personally think that given how new modern tulpamancy is, this ought to be scratching the surface. But I know that a lot of people are here for just creating a tulpa and then going on their very day.

I can't speak for Reddit and Discord, but at least on Discord I notice the same thing happening in LOTPW- you have a handful of regulars, beginners come in and decide if they like the culture or not.

Now granted, I do think the Discord has more beginners coming in, but that didn't stop the LOTPW gang from forming. We do have new members check out the forums, even if that rate is very slow. And keep in mind that this forum isn't in a vacuum either- people sometimes will check out the forums by finding out about it on Discord.

1 hour ago, TurboSimmie said:

I actually just thought of another idea: What if LOTPW didn't appear by default in the activity tab? I remember when I was new to the forum I would use that tab to see what new discussions were happening, but everything was utterly buried under LOTPW silliness. Later on someone showed me how to create a custom tab that sorts things by which topics were most recently posted in, but that's not something that every new member is going to know how to do. The thing is, one may say that what happens in LOTPW doesn't effect the rest of the forum, but in reality everything is utterly buried by LOTPW when you check by latest activity. Taking it off the tab won't effect the LOTPW regulars--as they'll go straight to LOTPW regardless--but will make the other discussion a lot more visible to a lot more people.

I checked the default VTP button by viewing the site as a guest and LOTPW is only listed once as a topic. However, I know that the activity stream used to be different and I'm wondering if the old one would show a bunch of LOTPW posts burying everything else.

5 minutes ago, TurboSimmie said:

The thing is, people are going to go where the most activity is. People may (and do) post topics on in-topic boards, but the main attractor of forums like this is still the social interaction, not the vast repository of information we've accumulated over the past decade, that's secondary. I really don't like the implication that "if you're new, LOTPW is not for you", which is what you seem to be saying. I think the entire forum should be open and welcoming to everyone! LOTPW should not be a middle school cafeteria table where only the cool kids can sit. Communities grow when they are dynamic and ever-changing with new people being welcomed into the fold, communities wither and die when they coalesce around a small group of insiders and push everyone else aside. I've personally seen it happen many times. (Well, my host has anyway!)

I pretty much agree. I don't know if Lumi is saying LOTPW isn't for you, I just don't think he agrees LOTPW is going to draw in more activity. I have learned a lot that off-topic and on-topic stuff being more fuzzy may actually help the health forum out in the long run given how weird tulpamancy itself is. I'm also drawing on past examples including Ashley's experiment and the tulpas only chat thread knowing that creating the option for a secondary corner could work and bring good results.

Edited by Ranger

Huh? If I said anything that sounded like LOTPW wasn't for newcomers, it was just in reply to the "if" of Ranger saying that newbies were afraid to jump in. They can post wherever they want, but if they don't want to post in LOTPW but still want to chat, I said there are countless other off-topic threads and chat threads for them to do so in

Anyways, I still believe the forum can't grow more active based on off-topic chat threads. There have to be many people/new people interested in the core discussion this community is focused around for the community to grow - people can find places to chat literally anywhere, especially with public Discords being so accessible these days

(Kind of why we have a Tulpa.info Discord in the first place)

To give more of an answer to the goal behind this thread though, I do think making the .info Discord a nice place to be and then integrating it slightly more with the forum is the best thing we can do for forum activity.

Edited by Luminesce

I'm definitely a forum dinosaur. I don't care much for the format of endless stream of chat. I like the back and forth in a structured format where I can sit and think without getting buried or pressured. Same reason I prefer texting over calling people. It's just my personality. 

Maybe we just need to be more active in other areas? I agree that overall activity seems to be in a lull, but I'm not sure what to do there. Maybe it'll pick back up later naturally with new blood. I think for me I'm just struggling to prioritize being social now that I'm more comfortable in my skin so-to-speak. I kind of just work and play games. I haven't had time or energy for fun art stuff to share much. 

Also I want to echo that Tulpas Only seems to have been a hit and is only really suffering from overall activity drop. I don't think a mass restructuring would be wise but we could try a couple small experiments to shake things up. Worst case we archive the failed thread and go back to LOTPW.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]