Preferred term?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred term?

• Creator
    • Forcer
    • Tulpamancer
    • Owner
    • Host

I also agree with 'tulpamancer' I've seen this debated several times, it's a grandfathered word at worst. I happen to like it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Owner" is only appropriate to me when it's "Owner of the body", in a system where presumably the host claims ownership of the body and not the tulpas.

"Creator" means creator. It's less of a title for a person and more a point of reference; "Reisen's creator", sure, but don't call me "Creator" lol.

"Tulpamancer"... hmmm. The only reason not to use this now universally accepted term is because it sounds too silly for science/mainstream? to take seriously, due to its "magic" implications. So use of this word depends on whether or not you think/want tulpamancy to become a commonly accepted thing. Personally I'd rather just not fight what's already established, but I don't mind if people stop using this term. Nothing new like "Tulper" is going to catch on IMO though, it'd have to be like "Someone who has a tulpa" or "Tulpa host" or something.

"Host" is just here to stay. Has minor "creepy" connotations for some newbies and those who opted never to adopt it, but simply nothing is going to replace it. As for what it means - depends on the person. Most often, "Host" is taken to mean the original personality in the body that came before all the others. Personally, I think (to account for permaswitching, or plurality systems with the original personality gone/otherwise, which is sort of common compared to here) that "Host" is the title for who claims the most ownership of the body and the life it lives. Generally they're the ones most responsible for all others in the system.

Now, a lot of people don't agree with this, and that's fine, but again I've seen some plural systems here whose "hosts" have been gone for 10+ years and now effectively have a new host.. It only feels fair to call them the new host. The same may eventually be true for tulpamancy once it's older. Also note that even as Lucilyn once fronted for two months straight, I was still the host, and always will be. It's not necessarily "who fronts the most", it's who takes the most responsibility and ownership of the body and other systemmates. "Original personality" automatically has this role unless they've given it up.

... "Forcer"? Yeah, nah. "Tulpa forcer" is a viable alternative to "Tulpamancer" for those who dislike the "-mancy" suffix though. I just don't expect to ever see it used, and IMO someone like me doesn't necessarily "force" their tulpas anymore nine years later.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Host kinda implies everything's owned by them, and the tulpas exist on their time and through their courtesy (ignoring parasitic connotations). I'm starting to think it might be better for us to use the term "original" instead of "host" or "old host" or whatever. I'm unsure exactly. Perhaps I should look into possible alternatives to use on a personal basis. "Predecessor," perhaps?

I think a fun word to use instead of tulpamancy would be tulpology, but I know the word tulpamancy is going to stay. And yes, I know -ology means "the study of."

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

My wonderland NPC's call me 'creator', no one in system would call me tulpamancer it sounds like I raised them from the dead as a tie in to necromancer which is the only other -mancer word I had really heard of before that. I wouldn't consider myself 'host' in wonderland either because we're all equals there.

Still, outside of my wonderland, I'm a tulpamancer, and proud to be a host. The body is mine, they told me so.

Never heard of pyromancy?

Host kinda implies everything's owned by them, and the tulpas exist on their time and through their courtesy (ignoring parasitic connotations).

Well, sure, I guess you can put it that way. I'm not saying there has to be someone in a system who identifies as host, just that it should be an option for people other than "Originals", especially in systems where the original is gone.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Of course. I'm speaking more on how we see the term, rather than how others do or don't.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)