Linkzelda's Article on Living With Tulpa [WIP]

Linkzelda

Oh, I won't get rid of the guide, like I've stated, there will be major revisions. There will be grammar, spelling, and other error fixes that will be updated, which is something I clearly mentioned over and over.

And it still bothers me that if you want to talk about how I should've mentioned something that could be made through common deduction, but after going through all that, you made the conclusion that the same common sense logic and self-explanatory aspects made the guide pointless in general.

So the question I'm having is, if you're willing to make a better criticism than you did for the last post, and spend so much time committing to that criticism only to state the guide should be eliminated completely, why would you go through such lengths only to have in the back in your mind that it was hopeless to begin with?

Even when I stated that the guide will have to be updated (revised and such) in the disclaimer and in most general points, you didn't seem to take heed of that.

So now because you're ignoring the disclaimer that I've stated, and even when I stated I know there will be major revisions, and because you know how the "average reader" can't process this, it's still a matter who's opinion is more practical than the other.

And even in the end where I've stated this wasn't all I didn't have in mind, and specifically stated more information may be updated in the future, the only reasonable way for you to respond like this is if I had the guide to be absolute, unchanging, and no intentions for revision.

But first you need to rewrite it so that I can get what you're saying' date=' alright? It's unreasonable to ask me to pick through 30 or 40 pages of this as it is. [/quote']

Which again brings me back to what I mentioned with having to fit the ideology of waffles, because as long as he can read it right, everyone else can right? You do know how narrow-minded that is right? Why do I need to make another 30 or 40 pages just for you waffles? It's unreasonable for you to suggest that to me.

And if you're going to state it's for the average reader and not you, we've already been through that already.

What you don't need to do is write a five-paragraph motivational speech' date=' as I've seen you do.[/quote']

But waffles, what's wrong with a motivational speech? Do you think a five paragraph motivational speech will actually splatter the brains of newcomers that want some motivation? I guess part of life in general isn't about finding motivation in your mind.

Of course, I don't need to give you a five paragraph motivational speech, since you clearly don't need any, therefore the "average reader" doesn't need it as well. How have you made such a huge conclusion just like that?

That's what bothers me. If it's a few select people that have a gripe over the long posts and long guides, that's not considered to be the consensus of the "average reader."

You keep stating shorter, shorter, and more comprehensibility, but then even when you don't mind longer posts, it's still a matter of what you conveniently feel is suitable.

It begs the question, why not make a guide in your own image and likeness as well? That's what this community needs, more people to give their opinions, but rarely does anyone take that chance because there's more risk of debate. I honestly think you can accomplish this feat as well.

Shorter posts and shorter explanations doesn't really mean newcomers will suddenly stop asking questions, if that's the major concern over the "average reader." It still amazes me that out of all the other guides that would go longer than five paragraphs, you would make a personal mission to be bothered by the five-paragraph motivational speech.

tl;dr (not really): It's alright waffles, I understand you want major revisions in spelling, grammar, and format errors. I won't be taking the guide down, and even if it's somehow taken down on tulpa.info, it's not the end of the world, whatever happens, happens. To be honest with you, this guide was a pre-meal warmup, and I haven't given this serious thought, ironically, because I had intentions to suppress what I really wanted to get out. Because if I get too into detail, it's a problem, but if I make it too obvious, it's a problem. Welp.

If staff feels the need to take it down, they will take it down waffles. Of course, with how others have been acting towards staff lately and in the past (not very pretty), I wish them the best with that. With how guides can become outdated if the guide makers are non-existent, it's clear even if a guide were to fit your model of convenience waffles, it would still have the probability of major revisions.

So instead of suggesting the militant approach to eliminate the guide completely (which is futile), it's clear no guide will be perfect. If I have to use people's steadfast behavior to go crazy in criticism on the guide to make it better, then I will continue doing that.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't act like waffles is the only one with the problems, though. I didn't voice my concern over his points because he already said them and there was no need for me to repeat them. I don't think I got a lot of what you wrote and a lot of it just seemed like it didn't connect anywhere. As in, what was the point. I again think this is not a guide and would probably be much better off split into parts that actually talk about the same thing, and of course revise the stuff so it actually says something instead of being words with barely any meaning.

Oh and I just have to edit this in to point it out for you as it seems you missed it. This is what waffles said: The only solution for the first one is to get rid of the guide, so let's set that aside. So let's set that aside. He didn't tell you to delete this, instead he is asking you to make it better and gave you tips on how to do so.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

There are countless things I could point out here, but I'm sure waffles has, or will get around to most of it.

What I do want to say is this: it's fine to not have your first draft be your final draft--you may want to add more sections, and reword some things later. But if it's really so over-inflated, full of grammar errors, and a host of other problems, then why did you post it yet? You could have just saved what you did, and edited it later. To post it in such a rough form is just asking for such harsh criticism.

I, like waffles, find myself unable to comprehend much of which is written in your guide, as well as your other posts. I've noticed a recurring theme here--it's usually when your sentences run on for too long, or you dance around your point in stead of just making it.

Anyway, I agree with the bullet points waffles made about what needs to be changed, or rather, what should have been done in the first place.

If you're not capable of spilling words onto your keyboard into a comprehensible idea, then that's fine--not everyone can. But what that does mean is that you should account for that shortcoming. Re-read your posts. Make sure they are coherent. Try to remove the grammar errors that seriously impede comprehension. Tt's fine to make grammar errors--everyone does it. But you might as well weed through them when you can.

Ball's back in your court, waffles.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Of course, I had forgotten that your reading comprehension was lacking too. And indeed, even though I had said "let me make this clear" and then told you that I wanted to set the whole guide's obviousness aside, let me make it clear again:

I think that the whole guide is pointless. However, let's set that aside because the solution to it would be to remove the guide. I want to give you criticism outside that.

Oh, I won't get rid of the guide, like I've stated, there will be major revisions. There will be grammar, spelling, and other error fixes that will be updated, which is something I clearly mentioned over and over.

If you were aware that there were so many errors then why did you publish it?

And it still bothers me that if you want to talk about how I should've mentioned something that could be made through common deduction, but after going through all that, you made the conclusion that the same common sense logic and self-explanatory aspects made the guide pointless in general.

So the question I'm having is, if you're willing to make a better criticism than you did for the last post, and spend so much time committing to that criticism only to state the guide should be eliminated completely, why would you go through such lengths only to have in the back in your mind that it was hopeless to begin with?

This is answered at the top of my post and in my last one. Seriously, read my stuff through before you answer it. In this case you got the wrong end of the stick.

Even when I stated that the guide will have to be updated (revised and such) in the disclaimer and in most general points, you didn't seem to take heed of that.

So because you've said that you're willing to change it, I can't tell you what to change?

So now because you're ignoring the disclaimer that I've stated, and even when I stated I know there will be major revisions, and because you know how the "average reader" can't process this, it's still a matter who's opinion is more practical than the other.

Like I said, I think mine is more practical. I gave reasons too.

And even in the end where I've stated this wasn't all I didn't have in mind, and specifically stated more information may be updated in the future, the only reasonable way for you to respond like this is if I had the guide to be absolute, unchanging, and no intentions for revision.

Incorrect. Telling you to write more clearly is very relevant if you're planning on writing more, as is telling you to plan and proofread and so on.

Which again brings me back to what I mentioned with having to fit the ideology of waffles, because as long as he can read it right, everyone else can right? You do know how narrow-minded that is right? Why do I need to make another 30 or 40 pages just for you waffles? It's unreasonable for you to suggest that to me.

And if you're going to state it's for the average reader and not you, we've already been through that already.

Yes, we have. The last point made on that by either of us was from me, that this approach was more practical because you'll end up with more readable text.

But waffles, what's wrong with a motivational speech? Do you think a five paragraph motivational speech will actually splatter the brains of newcomers that want some motivation? I guess part of life in general isn't about finding motivation in your mind.

If they want a motivational speech then they can ask for one. In the example they didn't ask for anything of the sort.

Of course, I don't need to give you a five paragraph motivational speech, since you clearly don't need any, therefore the "average reader" doesn't need it as well. How have you made such a huge conclusion just like that?

My conclusion was that a five-paragraph motivational speech was not needed to answer the question.

You keep stating shorter, shorter, and more comprehensibility, but then even when you don't mind longer posts, it's still a matter of what you conveniently feel is suitable.

No shit what I think is good is what I think is suitable. Read my sentences. I have consistently said that I don't like long, rambling posts.

It begs the question, why not make a guide in your own image and likeness as well? That's what this community needs, more people to give their opinions, but rarely does anyone take that chance because there's more risk of debate. I honestly think you can accomplish this feat as well.

I wrote a guide about narration a while back.

Shorter posts and shorter explanations doesn't really mean newcomers will suddenly stop asking questions, if that's the major concern over the "average reader." It still amazes me that out of all the other guides that would go longer than five paragraphs, you would make a personal mission to be bothered by the five-paragraph motivational speech.

Or maybe you might have misread yet again, because it wasn't a guide I was talking about. It was the example of a simple question, given initially by you.

Because if I get too into detail, it's a problem, but if I make it too obvious, it's a problem.

The question you should be asking yourself is "Why did I define terms and not define then properly?". Do you think I am going to criticise a dictionary for being too obvious because it gives full definitions?

TL;DR

I'm not telling you to take down the guide. I know that isn't happening. You shouldn't ignore the rest of my criticism just because I would prefer the guide gone.

If you want, I offer to voluntarily pick through the guide, fixing the spelling, grammar and reading-comprehension-impeding mistakes. I'm good at that. Perhaps that will at least calm the situation down a bit. I'd rather not see a huge argument arising between anyone on these forums.

Linkzelda, I think your guide is great. All of the ones I've seen I have tried to incorporate, and this is no exception.

Motivational speeches are great for newcomers. I've taken that firsthand from two different communities, and the welcome and motivation that users give you is brillant.

waffles, I also agree with some points of yours, but I don't think that just because the guide has grammar, spelling and comprehension-impeding errors (if you sort it out in your head, it is actually a brilliant guide), "it should not have been published". The only reason for refraining to publish it that I can think of would be if there was a serious risk to tulpa or the host if the methods described were used. Which is not the case.

Linkzelda is allowed to write as many words as he wants to.

Again, I shall suggest allowing me to edit the comprehension-impeding mistakes, etc. and I hope you stop arguing. Just mutually agree to disagree if it's really necessary.

Also, not everything needs a full conclusion.

-Twiliclipse

"There is no abiding success without commitment." - Tony Robbins

"Commitment is an act, not a word." - Jean-Paul Satre

"Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes... but no plans." - Peter Drucker

Alright, after receiving a good well-thought out criticisms here and through PMs, if people will consider it an article, I will have to agree with them on that. And Kiahdaj, thank you again for your response.

Note: this is in response to everyone in general, not picking out on anyone in particular, there's been more than one person that wanted the guide to be taken down for grammatical, spelling, and other forms of errors. Also, since I know this is rough draft, I'll just send a request to shift this to General Discussion.

1. Not taking down the "guide," probability of changing the title is obvious there. Glad people are talking about something more related to tulpa and people's opinions/standpoints/etc. about them. So good job everyone!

2. Will Start "dumbing" down some of the concepts, which is ironic since I thought I was being hur durr durr in general with the guide, but some people felt it gave a thorough explanation, some didn't. So it's clear that in order to have something fitted for the "average reader's" competency level, I will continue embracing all sorts of criticism, but just do know that if you want the guide taken down or have a personal gripe with me and aren't willing to admit, I will only listen to the suggestions/feedback/criticism/etc. in relation to the guide, not my moral code or ethics. If the "article" or whatever you want to call it is opinionated, welcome to the nihilistic internet where some person will bash on the other either way guys! I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't learn how to live in a constant state of repression (most of the time) with an environment like that.

3. Will provide better examples, but in order for me to do that, I will have to take some risk either way. If this forum is for the intention of theorizing and trying to explain tulpa from a psychological standpoint (mostly), it should be fairly obvious that there will be some people who won't think much into what a "lifestyle" actually is, and some may be able too (yes, I know most will subscribe to me being the first notion). And although I haven't (as yet) given a broader detail on those potential roles, relationships, and such, based on past history and the comments on this thread, PMs, and such, it's in the front of my mind to improve on.

4. With the varying responses of others, it's clear that some will see it as one perspective, but some still have heavy implications that I have intentions for this to be the totality of all other members' perspectives. Although in terms of gathering ideas, we may share the same intentions, the actual content we give will obviously be different.

5. Grammar, spelling, etc. will obviously be on my priority list, but of course, getting perspective from others, no matter how much they may respond to it, is useful for gaining insight. So keep commenting, taking your time on anything that you feel is wrong, explain why it may be wrong, and offer your suggestions. And based on how people respond, plagiarism won't be an issue, since if people think another mentioning one concept/idea/perspective and a person making a more detailed response to that is plagiarism, lol okay then.

6. Clearly one person's perspective on this isn't going to be considered the higher normative framework of lifestyles or whatever intentions there is on tulpa. Either way, let's not forget that we may find ourselves wanting to dish out on one perspective without even giving more insight on our own. You guys are in the right direction in making this site where people DO criticize everyone's points, but are able to explain better without being too aggressive.

7. I make mistakes, we all make mistakes, we're not perfect. I may be that guy that seems to sit down on a big throne giving fanatical speeches on aiming to boost people's spirit and desire to improve in this tulpa phenomenon, and I am verbose about it. It's only through being as verbose as possible is when I can know when to take things down a notch or by fifty. If I have to piss you guys off, make your brains splattered and make your eyes bleed, I will do that, and I will keep going and improving, and if you have anything against that, that's your problem, not mine.

To the people that responded before in this thread, PMs, and other forms of contact and may respond in the future, thank you very much for everything you've contributed in your opinions/standpoints/etc.

And for a caveat: Although this site is based on psychological standpoints on the tulpa phenomenon, let me make it clear that people will obviously be planning their own perspectives, which means there will be competition, and with competition, especially in aims to hopefully getting scientific grounds to be interested by those psychological standpoints, it's a battle of egos, and I'm well aware of anyone that is passionate about this.

We all have an ego in this phenomenon no matter how much everyone wants to be euphemistic about it, instead of being so humble about it, let's just admit it and have a friendly competition. There will be bruises and injuries, but it's that impetuous spirit that does it to me here, thank you everyone.

@Lunaclipse, the help will be much appreciated and I am extremely grateful for your offer, you can PM me for anything. And again, thanks for your responses waffles, means a lot. I don't ignore your criticism, it just takes some time for me to improve from it. You don't aim to just give a pat on the back to anyone, and that's why I'm grateful for your analytical perspective on this, I don't take that for granted.

See that you posted your thing while I was working on my reply, Linkzelda. I'll still post what I wanted to say to the other dude.

...but I don't think that just because the guide has grammar, spelling and comprehension-impeding errors (if you sort it out in your head, it is actually a brilliant guide), "it should not have been published". The only reason for refraining to publish it that I can think of would be if there was a serious risk to tulpa or the host if the methods described were used. Which is not the case.

Why do you think that way? You think authos should be allowed to be lazy and not even proof read their important articles? Hell, I think it's extremely disrespectful for your readers to publish a version you know is full of errors. That, and because the "guide" (I still don't think this is a guide but multiple articles slapped under one misleading title) is impossible to understand at points, it just doesn't really make sense. Those are things that have to be fixed, especially when Linkzelda has talked about wanting to write books in the future.

Critique=/=argument, but that's something .info and every other immature and unprofessional art/whatever site has to learn. If you can't understand that, don't post guides, articles or artwork anywhere, because you will get critique. And the best part about getting critique is that it makes you better AND you're getting it for free here. Not everyone is so lucky. Everyone needs critique, especially starting authors with dreams of a brighter future, when what they produced wasn't too good.

Basically, telling us to shut up and only offering people praise will ruin them as authors or artists. It makes them think there are no problems and the reality will hit them hard when they try to get serious. Seen many artists in the art world have to go through that and it either ends well and they learn to take critique and get better, or it ends very badly and they become screaming lunatics who are sure everyone is just a hater coming to get them and spreading bad words about them. Needless to say, they're never taken seriously until they change and learn to take the critique and actually fix their glaring problems.

We're telling this to Linkzelda because we want him to get better.

Also Linkzelda, as a tip when writing anything about tuppers: we don't know anything for a fact. It's better to write knowing that you don't know anything for a fact either. Don't claim something as the truth when it's [citation needed]. You yourself or some other random dude on the internets is not a valid citation source. Well, as a factual citation source, you can cite anyone you want, but you can't claim it as a fact.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Thank you Sands, critique is what I wanted in the first place (just promoting your response to Lunaclipse). And if I give implications that will just have [citation needed] all over the place, I apologize for that, but I do aim to make sure people know it's made of generalization and is full of theorizing and hypotheses.

Although I agree that critique=/= argument, the debates on this forum and other forums I go about in helps tremendously. The secret for me is to just close my laptop half-way down, rub my eyes, and see things more vicariously. So don't worry Lunaclipse, I know you're defending some of my points, but you don't have to be generous for that, again, I thank you for doing so either way.

The reasons I gave warnings that seemed to be aimed to quiet people down on the presumed aggression(in general) was just for saving the staff from proceeding to damage control. But you guys clearly aren't trying to be militant about it, you're just more expressive in your words, so again, inherent bias on my end.

And again, thank you for telling everyone the truth into this Sands. This is why despite of my own opinions on this site, I still keep coming back here for more information. I never have taken for granted on anyone's criticism and opinions in anything I plan to do here, if I did, I would be non-existent in this forum for a long time now.

And yeah, I'll add to the disclaimer that I do not know anything for fact as well.

If possible, I would like to have this thread right here shifted to General Discussion.

Thread moved to General Discussion at Linkzelda's request.

If staff feels the need to take it down, they will take it down

I think, perhaps, you may misunderstand the staff's intent - in all goodwill to improve the professionalism and utility of the site (and yes, as has already been acknowledged, we need to start with ourselves in this). So, no thank you, on behalf of the staff we politely decline 'to take it down'.

As I have already posted individually, please be polite with each other.

Thank you, Nobillis

per Tulpa.info

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

2. Will Start "dumbing" down some of the concepts

I don't believe anyone suggested that you do this. I said that some of it was difficult for me to comprehend--not that it was over my head. And I'm almost positive waffles wouldn't have asked that, either. Maybe askied for you to shorten it, but that is nowhere near the same thing as dumbing it down.

At any rate, as I was saying, it doesn't need to be "dumbed down". Contrary to what you may believe, it wasn't hard to understand because your level of proficiency in the English language is far above our own--but perhaps, and forgive me for this--it is because it may be below waffles' and mine. You have a tendency to run on sentences for a bit too long, dance around points, and make a good deal of mistakes which make it difficult to understand.

Which is another reason you should definitely proof-read your pieces before posting them.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."