Recent News

Not sure if this is the right thread, but one of the rules about Slenderman is that the more you know about him, the closer he gets to you. In other words, tulpaforcing. Am I the only one who thinks that Slenderman should be "destroyed" (meaning a community-wide effort to get rid of the Slenderman creepypastas)? Much of the info about him paints him as malicious. Would it be easier to "destroy" the meme, which would be treated as just a meme, or treat Slenderman as an agent, and paint it/"him" as benevolent, like any tulpa (but one that just happens to look creepy)?

Slenderman is fictional. You're overreacting.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Would it be easier to "destroy" the meme, which would be treated as just a meme, or treat Slenderman as an agent, and paint it/"him" as benevolent, like any tulpa (but one that just happens to look creepy)?

Destroy? How would you even begin destroying an idea, that by definition is widespread? Secondly, why do you think this is necessary? Slendy's just a collection of stories. He can't hurt you.

Treating him "as an agent" wouldn't work either because

A) Anybody that's heard of Slenderman has heard of him as that "creepy" internet story and spreading any image to the contrary would require an extraordinary amount of cooperation among internet users -- a sort of conspiracy of deceit, the likes of which has never before been seen (though I suppose that would be the mark of a good conspiracy -- it not being seen, I mean.)

B) Unless you incorporate him into a major holiday, like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, nobody's going be interested in that creepy, nice guy, who just goes around being creepy and nice. It's not nearly as interesting.

Just because it's a fictional character is someone's mind, doesn't mean it's a tulpa. In fact, I would say that the majority of the demographic who have talking characters in their heads have serious mental disorders, not tulpas.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

The belief in Slendy as a dangerous tulpa-esque entity that could attack people in real life isn't that far-fetched. Tulpa Theory is a prominent part of the Slenderman mythos, and people have attepted to 'combat' Slendy, usualy by writing stories into the Slenderman mythos where the archetypal characters would actually defeat him for good. Evidently, it didn't take.

But it's a simple matter of belief. It's like the chaos-magic view on curses: It will only bring you misfortune and misery if you believe it will. You're only cursed if you think you've been cursed. I actually went to a lecture that was basically about the idea of Slendy as a tulpa or an egregore, fuelled by the fandom he's gained over the years. And he did discuss a few methods of combatting the idea. Namely, through humour. 'Banish with Laughter' as Peter Carroll puts it. Or in a more familiar phrase to many of you 'Giggle at the Ghosties'. If you find a way to make Slenderman funny, then in your mind he is no longer a threatening presence, and therefore cannot harm you. Splendorman, the whole stupid '20 Dollars' meme, all those cheap cosplays of him that basically consist of a black suit and pantyhose over the head. If that's how you percieve Slenderman, then to you, that is how he will be. Not a threatening and deadly thoughtform, but a cool but kinda silly character that spawned some pretty cool webshows and ARGs.

[align=center]Host: Mike "Redback"

Tulpa name: Deortabe

Appearance: Female deer with glittery hooves.

Begun: 04/09/14

Progress: Basic appearance starting to take shape, possible first signs of sentience.[/align]