Could you make a tulpa of yourself?

Title.

For the sake of self-improvement:

1. Would it be possible to make a tulpa of yourself

2. How accurate would it be

3. Potential dangers

4. Usability in terms of switching, for the purpose of accessing alternate states of consciousness while allowing "yourself" to take care of the physical reality, essentially so you do not have to be bothered with it while you're contemplating matters of a more serious nature.

5. Usability in terms of mirroring, for the purpose of accessing character flaws and undesirable traits in yourself which you may be able to see in another light by this perspective shift.

6. Alternate theory of creating yourself as a tupa, fixing its flaws, and re-integrating it back into your consciousness so that you improve yourself.

7. Any other ideas, questions, suggestions.

Thank you all for your consideration and time if you choose to answer, and for those of you who read but do not feel inclined to answer, I hope this broadens your horizons in terms of potential.

//Admin feel free to move boards, as I'm not certain where this belongs//

Ermahgerd Ver fer Vernderterr

1. Would it be possible to make a tulpa of yourself

I think it’s possible, but whether or not their existence may bleed onto your own way of living might affect #2. For the sake of improvement, and seeing someone other than yourself, there may be benefits, so long the person understands that said tulpa might be a candidate of a “higher self,” “ideal self,” or whatever futuristic context they’re inspired to become. Or, it could just be who they were before--like, let's say they felt how they were in the 80s was the prime example of a person full of potential and having the means to improve themselves progressively; kind of like those forum discussions over this person in this mode/comic/-insert trope related context here for crossovers- that could curb stomp this guy, or whatever.

Or like, "Oooh what if X person collaborated with Y person? That would be bloody savage, yo; Pls nerf now, too OP."

2. How accurate would it be

That depends on the context, and since it’s for the sake of improvement, I guess if the host is willing to put through the effort in progressively learning and stepping up their game, the doppelganger of themselves might be so accurate since the person is trying to contemplate inwardly in an active manner. But this isn’t saying that this can’t be done with someone other than a projection of yourself.

3. Potential dangers

As much as it’s nice to think that having a doppelganger can be danger-free which anyone you’re allowing to mirror, or supplement in your self-progression, certain things might happen:

- Self-actualization: Who knows if the projection of yourself might be convinced (like any other probability with a tulpa that isn’t really “you” aesthetically or emotionally) to feel they want to expand their existence more than just being in your mind (e.g. switching/possessing to put things into context of this reality)

- Ownership of life/Sharing of Life: Depending on which side of the table you’re on, there might be conversations of who may be more capable of assessing life; who has a sense of urgency to keep living, or having goals in mind. Some may be able to compromise, and learn to coexist, but circumstances like the host feeling inferior towards the tulpa of themselves being capable, or more than might have them questioning themselves. But for those cases, I think something I learned, from a different context mind you, is that the more capable they seem to be (the projection) is probably due to how militantly the person wanted to cultivate those competencies in some way. In other words, what the host could do for the tulpa is something they could do for themselves; they realize self-progression can go both ways, and thus could be synced with the mirroring for #5, metaphorically speaking.

- Questioning/Apprehension: Having someone that’s a projection of you (from whatever period in your life that you had a certain persona, or in the future) might have you second guessing yourself, and how it’s even probable for one to cultivate the existence of a thought form that could potentially engage in reality in some way (excluding the obvious of physically existing).

4. Usability in terms of switching, for the purpose of accessing alternate states of consciousness while allowing "yourself" to take care of the physical reality, essentially so you do not have to be bothered with it while you're contemplating matters of a more serious nature.

In context of self-improvement:

- Finding a way to flourish with them to allow a blank canvas to be pained on how one could live out their lives, and carry on with day-to-day/quotidian activities.

- Finding ways to foster silver linings, or things to keep you at bay in times of desperation depending on how a person reacts to switching entirely

- Developing trust with someone that would essentially share in taking dominion over the body; it can’t really get more personal than having someone in your internal private experience to have a potentially private experience themselves via your body (but this isn’t presuming we can’t know what went on; they may end up relaying those experiences anyway if the “trust” factor came into equation for the sake of self-improvement, and most importantly, transparency.

- For meditating on other things while they assess day-to-day stuff might be a useful component in living. And in context of self-improvement, probabilities of escapism, or other negative implications might not really be a problem since both would be striving to find a balance between their imaginations, and how they interact with this reality. Both end up being potentially fallbacks to each other, and thus another mirror analogy is set up.

5. Usability in terms of mirroring, for the purpose of accessing character flaws and undesirable traits in yourself which you may be able to see in another light by this perspective shift.

Long and short of it, I would presume that the more a person can get into an evaluative context with them, the more these concepts you presented will be put onto the table for group thinking, and what have you. Paradigm shifts/perspective shifts may become useful, probably learning tools because embracing that evaluative context entails being aware of various viewpoints; life becomes less linear, and more of a blank canvas, if you will. Some might be bothered by that sense of liberation, or feel they’re deluding themselves into a pretense of liberation, or –insert other emotive context here-

6. Alternate theory of creating yourself as a tupa, fixing its flaws, and re-integrating it back into your consciousness so that you improve yourself.

Seems more like infinite regression in context of consciousness, and that can lead to putting theories of mind into context with tulpas. But I don’t think I could be capable of dishing out those theories in this thread. And even if this were possible in the near future for the community, I would imagine a lot of gaps in knowledge with things like “”is/ought”, hard/soft problems of consciousness, and such. It may be more of knowing these things are there just to exercise our minds, but not necessarily telling someone what to do with their lives. Kind of like intelligible parlor games.

#7. Just a suggestion, a dream character that looks like a projection of yourself, and other emotional context might be sufficient enough if deviation comes a fear for the host. They could just wake up, and dream every now and then of that doppelganger engaging in conversation with them without much of the weight behind treating them as sentient.

My first reaction was "Oh god, why would you want to?" Either you'd be too similar and this would set up an echo chamber situation, or your flaws would be magnified and you'd end up driving yourself up the wall. Possibly both simultaneously.

Then, I started wondering if it was even possible. Sure, you could base a tulpa off yourself by giving them your traits... but isn't one of the defining traits of a headperson the fact that we have an identity separate from our hosts'? As in, you could create an exact mental replica yourself, but they wouldn't be you... they'd be themselves. Like a clone: a being who has the same basic make-up as you but who is their own separate entity and sense of identity beyond that.

And that's assuming you could create an exact replica of yourself, which is something I doubt. No one is 100% self-aware... you're always going to have blind spots where your perception of your own traits, talents, and flaws differs from what they are in a more objective sense. If you try to replicate those traits in a tulpa, you're more likely to end up with an interpretation of yourself at best, and a caricature of yourself at worst.

Which is fine for the purposes of self reflection, I guess, but one thing I know is that tulpas have a tendency to deviate. What starts as your own replica might start going their own way. Would you be okay with the tulpa doing that? Because if not, you might be better off with some sort of servitor for this.

Also, number 6? Creating a self-aware being for the express purpose of "fixing" them and then reintegrating them? Might want to think long and hard about the ethical implications of that one.

Not saying this isn't an interesting thought exercise, but I don't think a tulpa's the type of thoughtform you'd want for this. Something less separate from yourself would be better, and probably something less self-aware too. You're talking about tulpas like they're tools, and while I don't have a problem with a tulpa being created to serve a specific purpose (it'd be pretty hypocritical of me if I did) your post doesn't seem to consider the tulpa's sense of autonomy and identity at all, which is pretty much one of the defining traits of a tulpa.

Try this with a servitor or something first. Doing this with a tulpa would probably lead to more than you bargained for.

~ Member of SparrowNR's System ~

Also, number 6? Creating a self-aware being for the express purpose of "fixing" them and then reintegrating them? Might want to think long and hard about the ethical implications of that one.

Not saying this isn't an interesting thought exercise, but I don't think a tulpa's the type of thoughtform you'd want for this. Something less separate from yourself would be better, and probably something less self-aware too. You're talking about tulpas like they're tools, and while I don't have a problem with a tulpa being created to serve a specific purpose (it'd be pretty hypocritical of me if I did) your post doesn't seem to consider the tulpa's sense of autonomy and identity at all, which is pretty much one of the defining traits of a tulpa.

Try this with a servitor or something first. Doing this with a tulpa would probably lead to more than you bargained for.

In lieu of ethical considerations, if you met yourself from an alternate reality and decided it would be beneficial to harmonize yourselves into one mind so that you may correct one another's flaws, wouldn't you? Just because something is independent does not mean it must remain that way. The fact that you have an independent being in your mind apart from you is proof of that- why not take it a step further? Certainly you've had to play a role in whatever endeavor you take on- school, work, social activities, etc... You always change your mindset for each of those situations. So why not create your ideal self and reintegrate it into your consciousness? Can you honestly say it is easier to change yourself than it is to change your thoughtforms? Certainly from both sides it would be beneficial- you correct their flaws, they correct yours, and you both become the best versions of yourselves you can be. This is ideally, of course. Whether someone wishes to attempt this themselves is another matter... I just wanted to ask the question to get the thoughtstream going, so to speak, so that in the future if someone wanted too, they could try it and let us in on the results.

Ermahgerd Ver fer Vernderterr

In lieu of ethical considerations...

Why "in lieu of?" Why not "in addition to"? Brushing ethical considerations aside to ask a different question does not make those ethical considerations go away.

...if you met yourself from an alternate reality and decided it would be beneficial to harmonize yourselves into one mind so that you may correct one another's flaws, wouldn't you?

Ha ha ha... okay, this is mostly just me, but no, there would be nothing "harmonious" about me meeting myself, even as some sort of idealized version (whatever that means?). Suffice to say, there would be carnage.

But fine, I can see your point here. But you haven't considered mine, because you're assuming both versions of yourself would be on board with this.

See, my ethical quibble is not with reintegration itself. It happens. I've got headmates who've integrated into one another in the past. It's a little squicky when you think about it too much (because seriously, one person being absorbed into another?), but that's not what my point is about.

The quibble comes in when you propose to create a self-aware being specifically for the purpose of eventually being reintegrated.

See, a tulpa has free will... or at least a functional simulacrum of it. If this hypothetical tulpa gets created as an idealized version of you, and is then happy to reintegrate once they feel they've fullfilled that purpose, more power to them. That's their decision.

But what if they decide they don't want to do that? Will you resent them? If they decide they want to do something different with their existence, are you going to try to dissipate them because they no longer serve their intended function and are therefore no longer of any use to you?

That's the ethical question that needs to be considered before something like this is attempted. There is a chance that a tulpa wouldn't want to go along with this plan, and if that happens, what do you do with the thinking, feeling being you now have in your head?

Which is why I suggested creating a thoughtform that is not necessarily self-aware for this. Like I said, this could be an interesting thought exercise. I just don't think a tulpa is the right fit. That's why I suggested looking up servitors. Here's a guide on it, and I'm sure there are others.

I'm not telling you (or a hypothetical person who wanted to try this) what the answer should be. Maybe you would dissipate the tulpa, and that's your business. But the important thing is that you consider the question.

~ Member of SparrowNR's System ~