Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

Forbidden Planet featured an invisible "monster from the id" of the scientist whose intelligence was boosted by using the teaching device left behind by the Krell. Not really a tulpa, but tulpa-like in terms of being the manifestation of one person's subconsious mind.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Dumbledore

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Thatcher,_Dragon_Hatcher

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

Read this book a long time ago and just noticed how closely Tiamat was to a tulpa, if it weren't for the fact that like three other people could she her and she could fling things around the room.

I apologize profusely for any damages my murderous rampage may have caused.

• 1 month later...

Because nobody seems to have posted it...

The main character in Deadly Premonition, Francis York Morgan, has a tulpa named Zack. The player takes control of Zack during some scenes in the game to engage in QTE-based conversations with York, which is intended to break the fourth wall a bit and provide added perspective on the events of the game. The game is something of a cult classic among its fans, it had an Xbox 360 release with atrocious tank controls, and recently a Director's Cut was released for PS3 that features reworked controls and an alternate ending.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

Lord of the Rings (gollum...)

Naruto (Tailed Beasts...)

The Emporor's New Groove (Cronk's shoulder angels.)

Basically anything where characters talk to themselves.

"DUDE! That's wrong! You don't do that! That's like giving a kid a knife and telling him that it's a neck massager!"

Shameless self promotion!

Deus and Murmur from Mirai Nikki start off as imaginary friends, but then it's revealed (in the first episode) that

Deus was just a cool guy/god living inside the protagonist's subconscious.

He even has a wonderland of sorts.

Ah. I didn't see any spoiler bbcode immediately visible and assumed they weren't there. I'd rather use color #696969 than be one of those guys that tries to use non-existent spoiler tags. Good to know, though. Thanks, Lacquer.

Color #696969 looks like this, for those who care.

In the book "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend" there is something very similar.

The kid's imaginary friend, Budo, is sentient, totally independent and has his own opinions, and sometimes he even fights with his creator.

In the first chapter, he clearly states that he has his own life and he can do whatever he wants, but he must be near his creator most of the time because if he stops believing in him and paying attention to him, he will not exist anymore.

However, in the book the imaginary friends can see each other (I mean, they can even see other people's imaginary friends) and there is one of them who is capable of moving objects in real life (even if it tires him a lot).

There's this one book of this guy who always talks to this imaginary person, to help get advice, and so that he'll tell him what to do. Like what's good, bad, right, wrong, etc. He would tell him all kinds of things, and have him spread the word.

Damn, I can't remember the name of the book, at the moment.

I just know it's the second most printed book in the world, next to the Ikea catalog.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."