Unconsciously Mirroring Tulpa's Gestures

TB

I've been meaning to ask about the fact that often when my tulpa does a motion or gesture, I automatically and unconsciously do it in sync with her, which can be kind of awkward sometimes since I'll make a random pose or gesture out of nowhere with no context. Like I'll be taking a walk with her and she'll raise her hands up in front of her and clasp her hands, and my body will just do it as well at the same time. I don't know if that is common or happens to others, and if anyone knows why it happens or what it is?

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

That doesn't sound too strange to me, we unconsciously mirror stuff going on in headspace too, just not full body movements like that. More like expressions.

It could be a form of possession, or could be useful for learning possession.

Does it only happen with your tulpa's movements? If you had an imaginary character make a movement, would you mirror that too?

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

Sounds like it is common with facial expressions, but I don't hear much about full body movements. It seems to only happen with my tulpa's movements. I never had it happen with an imaginary character before. I can't do it on purpose though, and it has happened less recently, but use to be extremely common. I wonder how to utilize it for possession?

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

{You ninja'd me by saying what I said in LOTPW lol} This is pretty common with facial expressions (some people tend to make faces that they're imagining vividly, such as when drawing, but even just thinking of someone doing it can cause it), though I've not heard it with such drastic movements as raising your hands. Presumably the same rules apply though - you need a sort of self-discipline and awareness of it to stop yourself when you're doing it. With it being so drastic I do almost feel possession vibes, but possession isn't an actual existing skill any random human just unlocks, it's an experience people manually create for themselves (I feel like a lot of people don't realize that most of tulpamancy isn't "unlocking pre-existing abilities", but rather forging your own original/unique experiences simply based on ideas you get from others).

Anyways, it's just a brain thing, mental wiring getting mixed up. At least based on the facial expressions thing, some people are just more prone to having those wires crossed. For example, the more vividly I imagine someone making a facial expression (intense anger, intense happiness, or just really focusing on a confused face, etc.) the more likely I am to unconsciously mimic it with my own face. But, I can easily stop myself from doing it if I'm focusing on it. But it'll probably take a lot more work in your case since again, it sounds a lot more drastic than what I've heard of before. I'd definitely recommend working on it though, I'd be embarrassed enough making faces for no reason while drawing, let alone moving my arms around in public because I'm watching an imposed Lucilyn reach for a tree branch or something. Actually, that sounds kind of awful, really

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Oh sorry, what is ninjaing? I don't know if that is bad, I just wanted to use your suggested title.

And yeah. It seems backwards for me I think... I'm not sure I ever mimic faces much like that just by visualizing it, though I might Rena's. And yeah, I think we unconsciously trained to have her move a little less when in public so I don't do that so much, but it is kind of sad. Sometimes I move when she interacts with me, too, so it is like I'm being touched by an invisible person. I'm glad I don't go in public often...

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Just for Lumi, I'll copy over my LOTPW answer:

"Do you mean that, when your tulpa's form moves in a particular way, the body you share will often move in the same way without either of you intending for that to happen? Because that has been happening to us for well over a year, mainly with facial expressions and body language. Big movements -- standing, sitting, walking, jumping -- don't bleed through, but gestures might to a degree.

I encouraged this back in the day because I thought it was a cool secondary channel for communication when our visualization was much worse than it is now and even mindvoice wasn't completely reliable. But now we don't know how to prevent it from happening. Most of the time, if we concentrate on trying to perceive movement through visualization and not move the body, the movement will still bleed through to the body."

With ordinary characters, I am already becoming and performing them, so I wouldn't think it special for their movements and expression to appear physically. All of that is done by me, with intent. The kind of expressiveness that Vesper and Iris favor is much of the same sort as I do for roleplay characters though -- heavy in the face, light below the waist, and intermediate in between -- and much the same as I used for them when I used to roleplay them, albeit with increasing depth and subtlety as they continue to live and grow.

I don't notice copying expression or movement from characters in books or shows, from other bodies physically perceived, or from memories or daydreams, though.

We never studied possession very hard. When Vesper was trying out the conventional finger/hand techniques back when we first encountered the idea, she was very slow, clumsy, and inconsistent with it. Yet without really trying, her ability to possess well with intent spread slowly out from the mouth, eyes, and throat down the shoulders and trunk, with arms and legs coming last. So I think, at least for those who have it happen naturally, that unintentional possession is a great way to learn intentional possession.

The only time we try to hold back one another's expressiveness is while driving. Some expressions wouldn't be safe, such as Iris' tendency to smile so broadly that her eyes close, or Vesper's tendency to roll her eyes dramatically at things I say. Out-system people often see Iris nodding at something I said in mindvoice and misinterpret it as me nodding at something I heard in mindvoice.

When I'm switched out, my expressions tend not to bleed very strongly, but I'm way behind my headmates at possession and at mental clarity while switched out.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

This can be confused for a symptom of possession, but it looks more like you're mimicking your tulpa's emotions. It looks like you are either really immersed in your wonderland or really focused on your tulpa and have easily tuned out everything else.

My emotions can bleed onto the face regardless if I am deliberately controlling the body or not. Therefore, I am either possessing the body or the body is displaying my emotions. On the other hand, Cat usually empathizes with me and her reaction of me ends up being displayed on our face. If she feels comfortable and is well immersed, it's possible other gestures may occur.

Cat is most likely to act out other gestures with her arms if she's sucked into a story and imagining herself as a story character. She thinks of herself as the character, so she may act out that character's movements. Cat is usually really immersed into a hypnotic like trance at this point and she is usually alone, so she isn't worried of embarrassing herself in front of other people.

I learned possession utilizing a slightly different method. I would make movements in wonderland and tell Cat she had to copy me. Eventually with enough practice, we realized Cat was no longer the middle man and I was moving the body all by myself.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Vesper: We just noticed something interesting. As part of our visualization practice, we try to make our forms more expressive and emotive. As previously addressed, Iris and I have to struggle hard to avoid unconsciously projecting our form movements into the body while switched out, especially facial expressions. The fronter will often move their form partly out of the body in the course of interacting with non-fronters. (Merely physical concerns can't be permitted to interfere with important business like hugs after all.) This evening, I noticed that I have no trouble with my form movements bleeding over while I am switched in. Having executive control of the body allows me to suppress movements of mine that are automatic when I don't have that control.

Ember, on the other hand, struggles to pass along facial expressions to the body while switched out, even with intent. She moves her form much more independently of the body than Iris and I do. This is the first thing that Ember has been able to do better than us while switched out, which was shocking.

Iris bleeds over form movements a little while switched in, but much less than when switched out.

Ember: It may be worth noting that, since I front the most, including nominally fronting while we're all actively trying to ignore the body and concentrate on form interaction, that I have by far the most experience with projecting my form from the body while fronting.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit