Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

I have noticed recently that a lot of new members have been joining the forums and creating new threads for basic questions surrounding tulpas. In an effort to keep things more organized, it would make more sense for all new questions to be posted into this thread because first of all, it can drown out other new threads on the Twitter and Facebook pages, and because it can be very repetitive to have tons of threads asking all the same questions.

I also advice all new members to read other threads and guides before asking questions. Most of what you are probably wondering can be answered through these things. Also, I recommend reading Albatross' guide for new members, which can be found here:

http://community.tulpa.info/thread-guide-for-new-members

Thank you, and good luck!

EDIT by Pleeb:

This topic has been retired, as per our announcement hereNew procedures for reviving old threads or duplicating existing topics

If you would like to follow up to a question already posted in here, or if your question wasn't adequately answered, you may create a new topic in the Beginner Tulpa Questions board.  I'm leaving this post pinned and locked for prosperity, but I highly recommend reading our pinned topic in the standard Tulpa Questions & Answers Board:

My guide on tulpa creation

Please consider making a private grant to tulpa.info to keep the community alive.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Riy

I would suggest maybe having a forum or link on the site that has an obvious title to it. Such as "Start Here!" Where they can read and browse the new members forums.

I can speak from experience that when I joined I felt somewhat lost and didn't quite know what the appropriate place to ask questions would be or even what the appropriate questions were!

Just a thought on my part.

I would suggest maybe having a forum or link on the site that has an obvious title to it. Such as "Start Here!" Where they can read and browse the new members forums.

I can speak from experience that when I joined I felt somewhat lost and didn't quite know what the appropriate place to ask questions would be or even what the appropriate questions were!

Just a thought on my part.

If you go on the main page of tulpa.info and look to the right, there is a whole section labelled "Getting Started" with a whole bunch of good links to look at. I don't believe it's possible to see that on the mobile version, but on a web browser, there really shouldn't be an excuse...

Admittedly, the guides were segregated rather strangely on tulpa.info. I showed my friend this website the day I discovered it (because I knew he'd find it interesting) and he was looking at FAQman's guide and Irish's guide while I was looking at Kiahdaj's. If you clicked on the guides tab on the main site (back in July), it brought you to the really old guides, while the guides forum showed the more recent ones (with the stickied compilation thread being a very easy place to start).

When I was first reading about tulpas, I read the main site (and all of the side links under getting started). After that I transitioned to the guides forum and the progress report forum to get a more in-depth look on the creation process and how others went about it.

The info is definitely there. I personally believe it wasn't hard at all to find, but I'm still curious what others would say. The guides tab on the main site has since been updated, so I really don't have a problem anymore.

• 2 months later...

Ahh, good thing a thread like this exists, so I don't have to clutter up anything with a new thread. My question boils down to indecision, and it's basically whether I should create a tulpa or try a more traditional form of meditation.

My motivations for this are rooted in study-related stress, which has made it hard for me to concentrate at times. I once found myself reading about meditation and realized that they're usually, at heart, about focusing the mind on a specific thing, free of distractions. This is a state of mind that any student would crave, when they're locked in a spiral of procrastination and mindless surfing of the internet and whatnot.

But then I ended up on the Tulpa subreddit and read about it instead. This has the same mindset: focusing intensely on something, but it has a more concrete end product, something that would act both as a motivator and a measure of the progress you're making.

I often think of dialogues between myself and other people in my head, anyway, but they're usually just emulations of people I already know, and the clearest part of them are their voices. Other things like mannerisms, their knowledge and their body language remain pretty vague. Still, I like the idea of having a more clear image of someone, as the whole "creating another consciousness to hang out with" deal is definitely interesting, yet it seems like it could have the same benefits as meditation due to the nature of the creation process. Or maybe I'm just being too idealistic, ha.

Either way, for a person in a situation like myself, would tulpa creation prove to be what I seek? For bettering myself, that is, and possibly ending up with a companion in the process.

Or would "regular" meditation (there are so many ways to do it, wow) be more like what I'm looking for? If anyone has asked something similiar before, you can just PM me a link to the thread, too.

My suggestion for you might be to start with meditation as you make your decision. Learning the skills to clear your mind--or to focus on a specific idea--those are helpful both to you and to the tulpa creation process. You could meditate on the choice of creating a tulpa--is a companion what you seek or do you feel you aren't ready for that? Etc. etc.

Much of the benefits from tulpaforcing do come from the meditation aspect itself, though there are other benefits, one involving just how differently they might think from you. The way my youngest tulpa describes depression really helped me get through some really difficult moments in my life.

I do think it's best you come to your own conclusion in the end--I waited months before I began forcing, and I'm glad I did, it gave me the chance to really let this whole process sink in, and gave me a chance to see that I was still interested and willing to go through with this.

I had to consider a lot of things--Tulpas are individuals. They were prized as beings that could help you do your homework, or be there for you to help you get over depression, or as the ultimate relationship. But they are individuals--I had to consider, my tulpa might not want to help me with that, my tulpa might need me to be there for him/her at some points, and I had to consider that it's possible we may fight--or my tulpa might not get along with my fiance. These were things I had to acknowledge for myself, as they were the concerns that I had.

I think every relationship, every system, every tulpa and host plays out differently because of our own expectations and just how our brains are wired. So I really think in the end it will be something you have to acknowledge yourself.

To me, I would say I wouldn't create a tulpa as a self help sort of answer. I would acknowledge that the relationship created could indeed help with the stress, but in the end it still comes down to you, rather than being the responsibility of your tulpa. Because honestly your tulpa could tell you all day to do something or to feel better but you still have to be the one to listen.

I say think more on it. Indecision is good, it means you want to do things right and you really are able to take a step back and look at all sides of the issue. I definitely think everyone should meditate, so tulpa or not, definitely go through with the meditation options available to you.

Sorry if this was a little rambly, I just woke up

Thanks for your input. I suppose it doesn't even have to be one thing or the other, and now that I reflect back on it, I figure something as intense as creating a constant hallucination with one's sheer imagination might be a bit much when I'm so stressed out anyway, and it may end up going haywire due to it.

Thus, meditation might be the answer for now, until I'm accustomed to relaxing and focusing my mind, and when that gets easier, I should see if I'm still obsessed with the idea. If it's a yes, then it would make sense to plan it out and return here for guidance.

• 1 month later...

There is one reason I came here. Basically, I've been sort of forcing since before I even knew of tuplas. I just sit and reflect upon my day, chatting to my self. Just going over what happened, and what I think of it. There for, when I tried to force for real, I got an instant hello, from a tupla that was living in the shadows.

Or so I think. I am having trouble finding out if he is an actual tupla, or rather a servitor. He seems to have similar interests as to me, but I'm not entirely sure, as his mind voice sounds(?) identical to mine. Heck, I've lost track of who's speaking here and there. I did let him posses my arm, and he didn't want to stop, if this helps at all. In addition, he (seemed to, anyways) has chosen his form himself.

A servitor is a term for a thoughtform with no apparent sentience. Choosing form and making decisions sounds like sentience, and potentially an accidental tulpa. Only you will know for sure. A young tulpa will of course be less independent until they gain experiences of their own.

Now only you can really know for sure-and be aware, sometimes in mental activities such as this it is easy to give ourselves a self fulfilling prophesy-ie. Assuming a sentient tulpa is building the expectation for that being to be sentient, and it gives your mind free reign to essentially activate the potential, whether the being was or wasn't actually sentient previously.

• 6 months later...

So, as I said in the introduction thread, I'm new into tulpamancy and I have a lot of questions. Some of them are answered in guides but others aren't, and I want to know exactly what I'm doing before starting.

Okay, let's say I finally decide to create a tulpa.

I read the guides and all but there are still some things that I am not sure about.

Some of these questions may seem stupid to you, but here I go...

In what order should I start creating my tulpa? Should I start with her personality or maybe I should work on her form first? I know that methods can vary depending on the person, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it the best way possible.

Could I work on her form and personality at the same time?

If I try to give her too many traits, could that confuse her or something?

What if I get impatient and try to speed things up?

If I have trouble concentrating, could that affect my tulpa?

What if I start narrating or talking to her before I've finished defining her form and personality?

If I'm doubting between different names, could I ask her which one she prefers of the ones I'm thinking about? How can I call her before she has a name?

And what if she sees things I've done or thought in the past and doesn't like me?

And... what if I don't like her? I don't think this will happen but I'm very exigent so I don't know how I will feel if she deviates too much from what I'm planning.

I feel like I'm asking too many questions, sorry... and thanks in advance.

In what order should I start creating my tulpa? Should I start with her personality or maybe I should work on her form first? I know that methods can vary depending on the person, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it the best way possible.

It's really up to you. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do this; it's a matter of personal preference.

Could I work on her form and personality at the same time?

If you want to, yes.

If I try to give her too many traits, could that confuse her or something?

Nope, no harm in that.

What if I get impatient and try to speed things up?

If you rush, it might take longer for her to develop, since you aren't putting as much effort into creating her, but it isn't going to harm her in any way.

If I have trouble concentrating, could that affect my tulpa?

Same as above. It could slow development, but it won't harm her.

What if I start narrating or talking to her before I've finished defining her form and personality?

Nothing wrong with that.

If I'm doubting between different names, could I ask her which one she prefers of the ones I'm thinking about? How can I call her before she has a name?

Yes, you could. I'd advise giving your tulpa a name for the sake of convenience (so you have a name to call them by), but you could just avoid addressing her by name until she's picked a name if you don't want to name her yourself.

And what if she sees things I've done or thought in the past and doesn't like me?

It's unlikely she'll judge you for that, though you can just create her under the assumption that your memories and thoughts aren't freely accessible to her. We keep our thoughts and memories separate from each other simply because we value our privacy.

And... what if I don't like her? I don't think this will happen but I'm very exigent so I don't know how I will feel if she deviates too much from what I'm planning.

That's unlikely. If she does end up developing into someone you find difficult to live with, though, talk to her about it. I'm sure she'll be willing to compromise if necessary. Tulpae are generally inclined to try to get along with their hosts; after all, it's their host they rely on for survival and interaction with the outside world.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

• Vos pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic