Who would you choose?

Leopard

Which one?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

I think I might have had some trouble answering this a few days ago, but the situation with FAQ_man which recently came to light definitely put things into perspective. While it may be may be worse in that the death of a family member would affect far more people negatively, there's no way I could kill her.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but the situation with FAQ_man which recently came to light definitely put things into perspective

Elaborate.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Guest Anonymous

I'm not going to try to morally prop myself up above anyone else, because I honestly lack any form of moral structure besides "Don't be a douchebag to others". I hate my entire family and relatives, and haven't spoken to any of them since I was a teenager, but without question I'd chose a family member. Even if it was a random stranger I'd never see, meet, or hear of, I'd pick them over a tulpa. It's not so much a matter of tulpa vs. family member, but a schism of your consciousness vs. a human life.

If a tulpa were to theoretically die, you'd still have every single part of your subconscious and conscious mind, so you could simply re-create them exactly as before. But before even more hypotheticals arrive, even if I were unable to re-create her, I'd stick with my decision. As fennecgirl stated, it would affect every person they know. While the devastating feeling wouldn't be as bad as it would to lose a tulpa for each person, it would proportionally be much worse. And as much as I love my tulpa, I'd be willing to sacrifice my own happiness for the happiness of multiple people, regardless of how I feel about them.

On the other hand, I would choose my tulpa over a utilitarian.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

What's been said has been said. There's a crucial difference between actual life and delusions. An adapted mindset can always conjure up another perceived sentient hallucination, while life... is actual meat and blood, not just something you experience to be meat and blood.

Also I regret voting on "tulpa" because I just read the first sentence of the first post and went "ok". Just saying.

I'm not going to try to morally prop myself up above anyone else, because I honestly lack any form of moral structure besides "Don't be a douchebag to others". I hate my entire family and relatives, and haven't spoken to any of them since I was a teenager, but without question I'd chose a family member. Even if it was a random stranger I'd never see, meet, or hear of, I'd pick them over a tulpa. It's not so much a matter of tulpa vs. family member, but a schism of your consciousness vs. a human life.

If a tulpa were to theoretically die, you'd still have every single part of your subconscious and conscious mind, so you could simply re-create them exactly as before. But before even more hypotheticals arrive, even if I were unable to re-create her, I'd stick with my decision. As fennecgirl stated, it would affect every person they know. While the devastating feeling wouldn't be as bad as it would to lose a tulpa for each person, it would proportionally be much worse. And as much as I love my tulpa, I'd be willing to sacrifice my own happiness for the happiness of multiple people, regardless of how I feel about them.

A couple other people made similar points, but this was explained the best.

Anyway, I understand, and feel the same way about the actual repercussions of the death among the ones close to the family member, even if I don't like any of them, myself.

The difference between you and me, though is; I'm honestly pretty selfish.

That's really all it comes down to.

Being realistic, and if I actually FOLLOWED my morals, I would choose the family member.

But I'm thinking about my own well being.

And to be honest, given my selfish nature, I would choose that which benefits me, time, and time again.

It's a personal flaw.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."