[Subselves] The Shadow

schlondark

Schlondark and subselves: Part 1 of ?: “The Shadow”

This guide is intended to shed some light on what seems to be a common, similar experience for tulpaforcers in this community.

Here is my experience on the matter:

One day (quite early on) I felt a slight twinge of fear, and entered my (first) wonderland only to find a humanoid being composed of a murky, shadowy, black mist with glowing white eyes. I was able to fend him off by throwing shuriken made of light at him, and I thought my problem was solved.

Quite a while later, possibly months, I constructed an area of my newest wonderland into doorways to represent my and each of my tulpa’s subconsciousses. Upon the entry of my room by myself and my oldest tulpa, we were assaulted by the same being. Only after leaving the area and calming down from the initial fright caused by this incident did it leave us alone.

Here, I will give all knowledge and advice I can about these kinds of things.

This is what I know / advice I can give.

They are NOT tulpae, though they appear fully sapient; and have apparently arrived fully imposed before. THEY CAN TALK.

They seem to represent your ‘inner darkness’ and may act upon any fears you have upon encountering them, which can quite easily lead to a skirmish.

The easiest and most effective method of getting them to leave you alone is to calm yourself down as much as possible and not to fear them.

Whilst appearing evil or malevolent, and often seeming to exude an aura of it, they do not seem to mean much harm, and also act as ‘guardians’ of the subconscious.

Though the actual form can vary greatly from person to person, the ‘living darkness’ appearance can be a common factor. They also range from humanoid to extremely abstract.

The appearance of this ‘being’ is not limited to wonderlands and tulpae, several avid daydreamers have described it as an ‘evil self’, always doing the opposite of what the daydreamer would.

The darker your mind, the stronger it is. Mental issues seem to make it stronger.

This phenomenon is quite likely behind the scattered reports of seemingly malevolent accidental tulpae.

(Because this has come up before): I believe merging with it is an outright idiotic Idea.

Though it may appear that you can kill it, it just respawns. Knowing what and who it is is likely the best way to not fear it, and therefore make it leave you alone.

I have no idea to the actual ‘extent’ of its power, so even though you should not be afraid, you should likely tread with caution if at all possible. In my mind at least, its presence can cloud my visualization.

I highly discourage creating a tulpa out of it.

According to another thread in the forum; it is possible that Carl Jung had tulpae.

Because of this; and its appearance to myself and others, I refer to it as ‘The shadow.’

There seem to be other beings similar to it, but I do not know their purposes.

These could easily be Jung’s anima/animus or other as of yet unknown beings.

Further Reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29

TLDR; Jung believed it to either represent the entirety of the subconscious as a whole or the ‘repressed self,’ representing that which we do not like about ourselves and choose to keep bottled up.

As best I can illustrate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iqmzq9uxnzh6ot/shadow.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really interesting, because i have a shadow myself, but you make them look like evil beings, and you are probably right, it's just not everyone sees them like that.

This might sound like a stupid thing i did, but my shadow is not my enemy at all, my mind is really "dark" as you say and with time i reached the point where i aknowledged it, now that shadow is what gives me strenght and what let me keep fighting when there's no hope, and even one of my tulpas is based in that feeling, though she's really harsh, we get along well and she helps me when she can(in her own ways, A.K.A. making me realize how weak i am)

I'm not sure if it's because i'm confident enough or what, but it's there and it actually helps me(not directly, rather, i make it help me), but the thing is i don't think that shadow talked to me before and i don't even think it's sentient.

What do you think?

@Gambarimasu:

They appear evil, at least at first, to some people.

I did mention it seemed to act like a subconscious guardian.

I also don't know how sentient they are.

@Lolimancer:

'not liking yourself' is what can create these, not lead to their absence.

I guess, but what i meant to say is that if there are no parts of yourself you particularly like/identify with there are also no parts you reject either - or at least that's my take on why i personally didn't meet anything like it, only cute girls. I also think it might actually be a good idea to talk with said shadow a little if you'd like to know yourself or some shit; talking to thoughtforms != making them tuppers, after all. (I also am of the opinion that much of you mind is "alive" on some level, including thoughtforms not-turned-tupper).

This is a big eye-opener for me.

I have encountered this shadow presence once myself. It's completely gone now, but I didn't have a clue what it was until now. It arrived in the hardest and scariest period of my tulpa creation progress.

You can read about it here

Thankfully I have overcome my fears a long time ago. It's reassuring to know what the presence was all about.

Merging with Jungian shadow actually sounds like you could gain superior self-awareness. Peharps not liking yourself at all also means having no shadow?

If the wikipedia article is to be trusted, then it's my understanding that the Shadow is a collection of facets of your personality that you are not consciously aware of. From this, it seems that a person who was completely and totally honest with themselves, their beliefs, their life, and everything else about themselves would have no Shadow whatsoever. Likewise, a person who often lied to themselves and did not care to find out much about their personality would have a very powerful Shadow.

This is a bit difficult to think about, and is purely speculation, but (besides sounding dangerous and like a bad idea) I don't think merging with your Shadow would even be possible. If it even WERE possible to merge your conscious personality with everything that you didn't know about yourself, then it seems that you would become a completely different person. Now this could be good or bad, depending on what traits and personality your Shadow has, I suppose.

Really though, "merging with your Shadow" could be done much more safely and effectively, in my opinion, by sitting down and asking yourself some questions about your life and finding out if you're being truthful with who you think you are and who you see yourself as. Consciously knowing about yourself, it seems, would reduce the presence that your Shadow will have in your subconscious.

"Give a man a Truth, and he will think for a day. Teach a man to Reason, and he will think for a lifetime."

-Phil Plait

Really though, "merging with your Shadow" could be done much more safely and effectively, in my opinion, by sitting down and asking yourself some questions about your life and finding out if you're being truthful with who you think you are and who you see yourself as. Consciously knowing about yourself, it seems, would reduce the presence that your Shadow will have in your subconscious.

Uh. I guess that's why i've met no shadow. All things considered, a shadow tupper doesn't sound too good either.