Lunanite

A Thread for Voicing your Opinion on Moderation

Yes fede, we know, anarchy in the UK, power to the people, yadda yadda.

You know you're you're a legend in the mlp threads; why not go there of you feel a lack of respect here?

Astral project on my face, brother!

I think you're just jealous that Fede gets more respect than you because you're a moderator that no one likes

entitled to your opinion, but at the end of the day, I think that there should be a vote every so often that will ensure fairness as far as selecting moderators go. For instance, an open poll where people can put in their candidates or something like that and then have the community vote on it. (Although I think Glitchthe3rd and Chupi should be permanent mods)

Ermahgerd Ver fer Vernderterr

Oh, silly V. I don't want respect. If everyone liked me, I'd be worried that I wasn't doing my job very well. Which is part of why I think "mods by democracy" is a silly idea. Popularity contests do not produce effective mod teams.

Astral project on my face, brother!

Oh, silly V. I don't want respect. If everyone liked me, I'd be worried that I wasn't doing my job very well. Which is part of why I think "mods by democracy" is a silly idea. Popularity contests do not produce effective mod teams.

But you must admit that they do prevent defective mod teams. If a community does not like a mod, simply put up a poll for it. 50%+ vote gets rid of them.

Ermahgerd Ver fer Vernderterr

But you must admit that they do prevent defective mod teams. If a community does not like a mod, simply put up a poll for it. 50%+ vote gets rid of them.

Except what happens is that moderators doing their jobs are ones that end up getting disliked. It's like if a classroom does not like a strict teacher, should they be allowed to vote such a teacher out? Chances are that most of the kids would feel that they're righted to behave how they behaved, or that they shouldn't have to do the school work, etc. and then become upset when they get in trouble.

I also believe that swapping one moderation team out for a new set of people doesn't resolve anything, as that new set will end up being treated the same way. I know of one moderator that would be among the critics of our moderation team before being brought on board (if I recall correctly, Amadeus asked, "Do you think you could do a better job?"). This moderator receives the same complaints that other moderators before him have received.

Further, I know of a moderator who recently resigned because they didn't like how they were making people feel so uncomfortable. They were a moderator, and they were looked at in a different light.

I've been in communities where I was a member, mod, and admin before -- moderating and administrating ones much larger than this one -- and others who have been moderators as well will probably tell you, moderators feel more like babysitters than anything else, and it's a stressful job that consumes the majority amount of your time. You end up having to take correctional action against your friends -- which puts you in an uneasy position already -- and most of the time you end up being generally complained about and disliked (unless you're one of the 'easy' mods that would rather act as a 'pal' than an authority figure).

Now, I agree that moderators make mistakes, they're human. They have errs in judgement at times, they may be going in this without proper experience and might not effectively moderate.

However, this is what I propose: Moderator being too strict, not handing out proper warnings, etc? It's brought to our attention and we do something about it. Moderators not strict enough, or not doing anything when people are breaking the rules? We do something about it.

What do we do about it? Well, recently, when a dispute comes up, usually I bring all the moderators into #tulpa for it to be discussed with the member who had the dispute. With civil discussion from both sides on a neutral level, these issues can be addressed, just like they were in #tulpa in a few days ago (in which we developed new rules, corrected some disputes between the moderators, etc.).

With the advent of #tulpa.mods, I believe that this can be done properly, and like everything else, things will balance out and moderators already in place will become better moderators. I believe this will be more effective in the long run rather than simply saying, "Oh, they're not doing this good, KICK THEM OUT," especially when you consider what they're giving up to be a moderator in the first place.

Now, it could be true that some moderators end up being 'defective,' and such moderators could be blatantly abusive and not be willing to change. While popular vote will not determine their fate for some reasons stated above, that doesn't mean such moderators can't be removed from the moderation team, as which has been done before.

EDIT: Also, V, this whole thing wasn't specifically a reply to you, but rather my comments as a whole on this situation. I just happened to be quoting you, then went off on a tangent.

I agree with Pleeb fully. Popularity vote (or democracy if you want) doesn't work except in utopian society. Sadly we don't have such society, so let's be realistic and let reason decide it instead of popular vote.

Guest Anonymous

I think that mods dint have proper tools, as kadih was recently banned because glitch didn't know how to ban him from the shoutbox, where kadoh was repeatedly harassing me.

I think that mods dint have proper tools, as kadih was recently banned because glitch didn't know how to ban him from the shoutbox, where kadoh was repeatedly harassing me.

In this situation, the shoutbox plugin doesn't have a way for moderators to ban people from the shoutbox (and thus should ask an administrator such as Amadeus to do so, which I've just alerted the moderation team to do).

The 3-day-ban can be lifted, though things like this don't help the guy's case :/

I think the mod team just needs a refresher. Or a new rotation. If the current team thinks they can be mods and do whatever they like (with the only opposition being a complaint pm or thread which dies soon anyway) then the whole place goes to shit.

If there's a rotation and they, more or less have a fear for their position (as in they could lose it if people vote them out) then I think moderation quality would go up. I highly doubt there is a majority who will vote in some of the unsuitable members to be mods "4 teh lulz", so there's no danger there.

If a mod is good and people like them, then putting it to a vote won't change anything. But if they suck and most people hate them for abusing their power or having poor judgement then they will be removed.

I don't see how this isn't a thing already. Mods don't get voted in by the community do they?

frt

I think the mod team just needs a refresher. Or a new rotation. If the current team thinks they can be mods and do whatever they like (with the only opposition being a complaint pm or thread which dies soon anyway) then the whole place goes to shit.

If there's a rotation and they, more or less have a fear for their position (as in they could lose it if people vote them out) then I think moderation quality would go up. I highly doubt there is a majority who will vote in some of the unsuitable members to be mods "4 teh lulz", so there's no danger there.

If a mod is good and people like them, then putting it to a vote won't change anything. But if they suck and most people hate them for abusing their power or having poor judgement then they will be removed.

I don't see how this isn't a thing already. Mods don't get voted in by the community do they?

My current reply to this is this post.