Lunanite

A Thread for Voicing your Opinion on Moderation

His hostility and vulgarity were uncalled for. When giving criticism here you still have to follow the rules and be civil.

Astral project on my face, brother!

You could've told him that so he would change his message to lack "bad words" for you, no need to delete fucking everything all the time. Trigger-happy mods.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I sent him a message letting him know what happened and that I don't want his opinion to be gone, just reworded. The deletion is just until that change happens. I could have gone in and edited it for him, but I didn't want to go in and change the wording of his post, because I'm sure he will want to write it out how he would like. If you want I can post it right back up here minus the quotes, I just wanted to give him a chance to change it himself to what he wants it to be.

I do want this conversation to keep going, I think it's important that everyone gets their opinions known so everyone can work things out. I know there is a divide going on--One post will get six or seven reports by different people(as well as PMs from users when I do decide a post that was reported was not breaking any rules and should stay) while when it's removed there are six or seven different people who are very upset it's gone. There are a lot of opinions on how things should work here.

It's tough to have a conversation like this on the site itself because the rules still apply to this thread and that means the posts need to stay civil. Everyone's emotions are running high so that can be tough.

Now, I'll go ahead and quote the post that was deleted. If VforVendetta has issues with how I have changed his wording he can repost what he wants to stay while remaining within the rules and I will go ahead and delete this part of my post. All the changes made are in silly little brackets.

"Voicing your opinion" doesn't get you anywhere, in my opinion, but I will voice it, by God (And any other religious figures that you underprivileged miscreants wish to call forth in utterance to attest to my oath.):

Whoever decided to permaban Fede-Lasse, you are [a very poor example of a person], and I wish to make this known to everyone. It was an unfair and unjust decision, and I believe that you have become part of the [problem that is ruining this site.] I'm sick and tired of the Mods' bureaucratic [behavior], and I believe that this site would be much better with a clean-slate approach: everyone's bans lifted, no more stalking and monitoring lists, and then let them screw up, and ban them again, but stop rebanning people because of personal bias. Thank you.

I know his wording was made for impact--he's upset. A lot of people are. And his original post is still available for all the mods to see and understand his feelings on the issue. Cursing is a tricky grey area and this is where judgement calls are made. I do think his post was important to this thread and I let him know that in his PM, but the post was leaving the area of civility which is where we want the conversation to stay. He has an opinion that we should start from scratch, he just worded it aggressively.

The mods should delete threads that's sole purpose is to attack or negatively discuss another user.

The mods should add a thing to the report feature so it sends the reporter a message when their report has been read. This will also help fight against report spam, since nobody wants their inbox to be spammed with messages.

The mods should add a captcha to the report function, further adding a wall against report spam. Also, if they mess up the captcha 2 times and the message isn't really worth reporting, they'll give up.

The mods should add a rule that you have to read the rules.

The mods should add a rule that users shouldn't answer anything that's answered in the FAQ, and instead redirect the questioner to the FAQ (and the rules).

The mods should add a captcha-like device in the account creation page. The 'password' to the 'captcha' should be randomly placed inside the rules somewhere, forcing the members to read through at least most of it to get the 'password'.

The mods should add a rule that says suggestions to the moderator team is ok, but insulting is bannable. Some users aren't being very mature.

The mods should instate one trustworthy member to be an 'invisible mod'. This user will be a mod, but it will not be showed on his user title. I have no idea what this could be used for, but it'll come in handy somehow one day. Trust me on this.

Guest Anonymous

TulpaCouple,

With the whole 'deleted post for being offensive', wouldn't a 24 hour wait (more or less) between deleting the post be sensible? Like you said, emotions can run high at times. Mind you, this is assuming a mod has PM'd the user about the post and is giving them a chance to change it. Perhaps even make the post have a red dot on it or something to differentiate them in an attempt to stop more users from reporting it. Why, this could even apply for warn-worthy posts. If a user has blatantly bashed another user they could have a short duration to change it and make it more 'friendly'. However, bashing a user after a mod has sent a PM will give permission to delete posts and warn the user. It'd be assumed that the PM from the mod lasts for a week or so and any other maulings during that time would result in an auto-delete. I'm tossing ideas here, that's all.

The mods should add a rule that says suggestions to the moderator team is ok, but insulting is bannable. Some users aren't being very mature.

1.8.2 Don't be offensive, harass or insult.

I feel that moderators are normal users with power. Nothing more than that or at least in a perfect world. Giving them select rules that differentiates them from the rest would be... counterproductive.

The mods should add a rule that users shouldn't answer anything that's answered in the FAQ, and instead redirect the questioner to the FAQ (and the rules).

And then what? If someone violates this rule do you give them a warning? Ban them? You'd be warning someone for helping others and better yet being active. The redundancy of questions give a chance for new ideas and perspectives to be made, new users to get themselves known through helping others, and keeping forum sections afloat.

The mods should instate one trustworthy member to be an 'invisible mod'. This user will be a mod, but it will not be showed on his user title. I have no idea what this could be used for, but it'll come in handy somehow one day. Trust me on this.

I can't really agree with you on this. To start, if the invisible moderator were to move his wrists and actually use his moderator powers, he'd likely become known and the whole point of an invisible moderator would be defeated. Furthermore, an announcement of an invisible moderator could put users on the edge a bit; almost like they're being watched. Big brother is there! From the apparent unrest going on this isn't something the site would want. And if the moderator were to not be announced, it implies the mods can't trust the community and this is never a good situation.

Furthered, an invisible moderator that moderates other moderators could work, yet it'd have its drawbacks as well. It'd imply that the administrative team couldn't necessarily trust the moderating team and tension is a possible spark from this. If it truly were one user that was more or less an extra set of eyes for the administrative it'd mean that one user's reports were more valuable than the rest, devaluing the community in its own little way.

The rest are quite reasonable. If you put a captcha in the registration page you'd have to make a warning of some sort in big, bold letters telling the registrant about it. Regarding the report captcha, if it can't or won't solve the problem there could always be a timer, in example a 5 minute timer that activates after two reports have been sent.

It'd imply that the administrative team couldn't necessarily trust the moderating team and tension is a possible spark from this.

They can deal with it. If we're going that route though, they shouldn't be invisible. As a former moderator, I agree that a moderator of moderators is a good idea. It should stop the things that the everybody hate the most, such as "Uwa~ mods are abusing their powers!" With a moderator of moderators, moderators wouldn't be able to moderate unjustly, otherwise the moderator of moderators will moderate the moderators. Ideally. Then the admins could look over the moderator of moderators. This takes some of the workload off of the admins, and places it on somebody else whose only real job would be to overlook the moderators. Kinda like a hierarchy, which I think worked very well in that regard in the past. So: Admins look over the mod of mods, who looks over the mods, who look over the users. Like that.

Also, lets face it, as far as I remember mods never took action against other mods, even when they posted off-topic things and the like. If there were a mod whose sole purpose was to do that, I don't really know what would happen. I imagine something good.

This is ignoring the fact that the mod of mods could be like the regular mods now- circlejerking and not reporting each other and what not.

If you're saying we should promote a mod to be a mod of mods, then I weep for this forum. It will change nothing and nothing will happen. If you were in class and the teacher told you to report anyone in the class who was dicking about, would you report them? Including your friends? No you wouldn't. If you would, you are either lying or one stone cold person.

If you mean a member gets promoted effectively twice, then I would love to hear your reasoning in your decision on who to promote.

frt