Tulpamancing Roleplay: An exercise in visualization.

Wrath

What do you think of this Idea?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this Idea?

• I like it and wish to participate.
    • I like it and do not wish to participate.
    • I dislike it.
    • you're an idiot.
    • I hate it.

Here's a better alternative to HP system

In most situation:

If succeeded in rolling the number less than target, nothing happens.

If failed, do a "second chance" test.

But if you failed miserably by rolling higher than triple of the target value, you instantly die, get knocked out or any other appropriate result

Target for "second chance" is 3 times the original target

If endurance roll succeeded, give appropriate penalty to an appropriate stat if injury or debuffs are received.

If fails, you either die, disabled with huge penalty to stat, fall unconscious or any appropriate consequences based on the situation.

For example

[align=center]Someone fired an arrow at Chloe

To dodge; Agility target at 6

To catch the arrow; Accuracy target at 3

To stand there and block the arrow with your body; endurance target at 1[/align]

The situation gets worse as the higher the number gets.

The situation becomes real serious if the number is higher than twice the target.

If dodge

If I rolled 6 or less, then Chloe dodged it

If I rolled agility higher than 6, then the arrow made contact with Chloe

If I rolled agility higher than 18 (target x 3), the arrow caught Chloe in the face/neck instantly killing her.

If catch

If I rolled 3 or less, then Chloe Catches it

If I rolled higher than 3, then the arrow hit Chloe

If I rolled higher than 9 (target x 3), the arrow caught Chloe in the face/neck instantly killing her.

If block with your body (lol)

If I rolled 1 or less, then the arrow bounced of Chloe's body (bad ass much?)

If I rolled... you know the drill

As you can see, the harder the challenge, the more dangerous it gets.

Most people would dodge, but Chuck Norris with 1 Endurance might just let it bounce of him to show the world how bad ass he is

Use your common sense to decide what happens according to the number rolled if you failed and be realistic.

[align=center]Chloe dodge the arrow, target for agility is 6.

Agility rolled at 12[/align]

I rolled 12, higher than twice the target so the situation becomes serious. However, it's not that high so shit did not hit the fan.

[align=center]The arrow hit Chloe's abdomen.

Roll for endurance

Target is 18[/align]

Since I failed the agility test, now I have to do a "second chance" test to see if the character survives or not. Target for "second chance" is three times the target for the failed test.

The stat that would be used for "second chance" if determined by your common sense

Since the arrow would definitely hit Chloe, she would have to rely on her endurance to endure the arrow. She wouldn't use her agility to endure it, yes?

Rolling less than 18 means Chloe endured the arrow and survived. However, the injury will still penalize some of her stat point including.

rolling higher than 18 means Chloe died from the arrow :(

The severity of penalty and situation should be proportional to the number of the roll. The higher the roll, the worse the penalty and the situation gets. Again, use your common sense and be realistic.

[align=center]Endurance rolled at 8

The arrow hit Chloe's abdomen. Chloe winced in pain and endured it with sweat and blood.

(+3 to endurance (she might not be able to endure anymore injury) and agility (the pain stops Chloe from making a fast movement))[/align]

Also, your traits can interfere with the event. As long as it is sensible.

Let's run the same situation through again with Chloe using shadow armor.

[align=center]Someone fired an arrow at Chloe

To dodge; Agility target at 6

Agility rolled at 12 [/align]

Shadow armor does not effect the number of roll itself, it only improves the stat from 16 to 12. So a roll of 12 is still a roll of 12.

The arrow hit Chloe's abdomen.

This is where her traits come to play

[align=center]Shadow armor: Sentience

The armor deflects the arrow

Strength target: 10

Rolled 6

Chloe's shadow armor can acts on it's own, and so it protects it's master by deflecting the arrow with it's hurricane force.[/align]

As you can see, traits can effects the situation as long as it's sensible.

Also penalty on stat point does not stay forever, as long as certain event restore it. Drinking a regeneration potion will restore your stat for example.

This also means that you will eventually die as the penalty on your stat point builds up causing you to fail miserably on the first test or failed the second chance.

Another example

[align=center]A warrior chop his sword downward at Cruse's head

Cruse attempt to dodge. Target agility: 6

Agility rolled at 8

Cruse dodged, but the blade caught his arm. Target end: 18

Endurance rolled at 18

The sword cleanly dismembered his arm. (End +10, strength +15, agility +5, accuracy +5)[/align]

Since the situation was not that bad as I did not failed the first test badly, I only ended up losing my arm with huge stat penalty due to failing "second chance"

If I had rolled 18 on agility, the sword would cut my head into 2 and kill me instantly.

Another example

[align=center]A man grabs Chloe.

Chloe decided to push him back. Strength target: 4

Strength rolled at 7

Chloe failed to push him back, the man threw her onto the ground and attempts to stab her with a knife. Chloe grabbed his hand and tries to push the knife back. Strength target: 12

Strength rolled at 3

Chloe pushed the man back just enough for her to kick him away.[/align]

When Chloe grabbed his hand and when she kicked him. I did not do a challenge since it would be too disruptive to the flow of the story. It should be fine skip certain action like this as long as it's not a very challenging one. E.g. you can't skip an agility test when being shot by an arrow. But if you are trying to dodge a small snail trying to ram you, then by all means, skip.

Another example

[align=center]Cruse throws a health potion at Chloe

Chloe attempt to catch, Accuracy target: 8

Accuracy rolled at 24

The potion caught Chloe right in her face knocking Chloe out as Cruse yelled in shock (End +2)

The content of the potion healed Chloe's injury

Endurance restored.[/align]

End result may vary as you can see above and below.

Another example

[align=center]Chloe throws a jar of piranha at Cruse

Cruse attempt to catch it, Accuracy target: 8

Accuracy rolled at 10

Cruse failed to catch the jar, dropping it. There's a split second before the jar hit's the ground, Cruse decided to dodge the splash of piranha, agility target: 6

Agility rolled at 7

Cruse jumped, but not fast enough. Some of the piranha is now biting his legs. It hurts real bad. (+1 to end, +1 to agi)[/align]

Also, I spend too much time typing that and don't have time to type Chloe's action, I'll be back soon.

Chloe - That cheerful girl with ponytail.

Aigis - The male cyborg that looks like raiden in MGR.

Vixen - Half dragon female who looks like Mary in DMC3 when in human form.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of stuff.

Despite how complicated that is I think it's genius, [Yeah!], DAMN GENIUS. I'm guessing you're employing the 'faith in intelligence and common sense' spiel? or are we going to decide, as a group, regulations for a set of very common actions—such as catching, dodging, negotiating, etc.?

For uncommon actions such as... oh... idk slicing an arrow down the middle, it will the common sense of the player though? Or will the number be the GM's choice? I was thinking against that because it would just slow the shit outta everything.

~

Here's some music, not at all reltaed, we just fucking love Nina Simone.

Pruria Joal (Pegasus)

Working on: Imposition

Hieldy (Moogle)

Working on: Possession/imposition

Samantha (Griffon)

Working on: Deafness/form

And please, call me G.

So I suppose the system I suggested is ok then?

just remember that unless it's a combat between two character, the stat required for "normal" is 6.

Slicing the arrow down the middle would be 3.

Slicing the arrow down the middle mid air would be 1.

[align=center]stat

Chloe

-Strength: D10

-Agility: D10

-Accuracy: D14

-Endurance: D8

Shadow

-Strength: D10

-Accuracy D12[/align]

Chloe watched the pegasus jumps narrowly jumps out of the warg's way. Though Chloe liked dogs amongst all other things, she detested warg. It's cool and furry alright but they give dog a bad name. After that train of thought came to pass, Chloe leaped at the warg and swing her naginata down with all her might.

[align=center]"Pole-arm mastery" Activated

-1 to agility, -4 to accuracy

Chloe

Strength: D10

Agility: D9

Accuracy: D10

Endurance: D8[/align]

However, Chloe was a little bit late, and the warg noticed her assault. The warg attempts to dodge.

[align=center]Warg dodges. Agility D6; rolled 4

Chloe chops vertically. Accuracy D10; rolled 9

"Pole-arm mastery" Deactivated[/align]

Chloe completely missed her target, however, the warg noticed the shadow spike protruding from Chloe's armor only after it's 1 inch away from the warg. It could not do anything beside standing it's ground and hope the shadow is as fragile as the girl looked.

[align=center]"Shadow armor: sentience" Activated

Shadow impales, Strength D10; rolled 5

Warg stood ground, Endurance D10; rolled 10[/align]

The shadow spike cleanly impaled the warg through it's torso. It howls in anger and pain.

[align=center]"Second chance"

Endurance target; 15

Warg Endures, Endurance D10; rolled 6[/align]

The warg suffered (+2 to endurance, +2 to agility), but not enough, it pulls itself out of the shadow spike. Blood splattered and the shadow armor shields it from reaching Chloe's face. The warg roared at Chloe in anger, but Chloe was not afraid. She could see the pain in the warg's eye. With a confident smile, Chloe amplified her shadow twice.

[align=center]"Amplify shadow" X2

Target end: 6 and 6

Endurance D8; rolled 3 and 8 (shit!)[/align]

Chloe's shadow gained strength, and dissipated afterward. Left with only her clothing which stands no chance against the warg's claw and teeth, she said;

"Oh crap."

[align=center]final stat

Chloe

-Strength: D18

-Agility: D18

-Endurance: D16

Shadow

-dissipated-

Warg

-Strength: 8d

-Agility: 8d

-Accuracy: 14d

-Endurance: 12d

-Charisma: 999d

-Intelligence: 999d

-Luck: 80d[/align]

MIAH HELP

Here's a better alternative to HP system.....

I love this idea. I vote for this.

Chloe

-Endurance: D16

Shadow

-dissipated-

Warg

-Luck: 80d

Growling with rage, the warg attempts to bite Chloe's leg after thrusting it's head forward. (accuracy)

Warg rolls 3 agility, it is fast.

Chloe rolls to dodge (agility) (I hope you're OK with me doing this) 15.

warg Rolls 11 accuracy.

The warg lurches forward, aiming to clamp it's jaws down on chloe's thigh, but as she scrambles to get out of the way the warg latches onto her foot and ankle at the height of it's gait, digging it's teeth into the spot just above her boots while causing uncomfortable pressure on her boot covered feet.

Second chance:

Chloe tries to slip away (again, sorry. But it seemed like the obvious course of action). chloe rolls agility: 17 (well shit, looks like your disorientated)

The warg continues gnawing on chloe's foot before rearing up on it's hind legs, foot still in mouth.

warg rolls strength: 2

The warg wrenches chloes foot up into the air, not only causing further bleeding but sending her face first into the forest floor. The warg falls back onto 4 legs, it's front paws landing on chloe's back and digging into it painfully, yet not causing any overwhelming pain.

The injury causes Chloe to loose -1 agility and endurance.

While pinned her agility is -10. (temporary, hopefully)

finial stats:

Chloe

-Agility: D19 (-10)

-Endurance: D17

Shadow

-dissipated-

Warg

-Luck: 80d

[Hope I didn't overstep any boundaries while choosing reactive decisions for your character. I apologize if I did).

Miah sighed. It appeared that everyone around her was incompetent. She realized how negative that sounded, but as the old saying went, "It's hard to be a positive person when your surrounded by idiots." Actually, that may not have been an old saying. Upon further reflection, Miah realized that she may have coined that herself. Granted, it wasn't all that imaginative and didn't quite have the ring to it that most sayings did, but it could catch on. Imagine that! Her own saying becoming cliche! Then she got a queer feeling, like she was forgetting something. What could it be? She looked down.

"Oh, right," she thought, "The girl geting a new lease on life as a Fiedo's chew-toy... I suppose I should do something..."

She had wanted to see if the other two were capable of taking care of themselves. This was obviously not the case. The girl's shadow armor had seemed promising, but it was quite obvious she had little control or discipline in using it. What should have been an effective and terrible weapon was seemed a dud.

As to what that pony thought she was doing, the ranger had no clue. What did she think she was going to do anyway? The best it seemed she could do was keep out of harm's way. She wasn't even going to start on the man whom had been knocked unconscious by a stray rock the beast had kicked up.

Miah sighed. From where she sat in the tree, she had a perfect view over the clearing. She had the high-ground as well. And the element of surprise. And a superb field of fire. She almost felt sorry for the oversized canine. Then again, such was life.

She recalled the warg's anatomy. Lungs. Chest cavity, through the fourth or fifth rib, more room in between. Break through a rib, puncture the lungs. Piecing pain, strained breathing, eventual suffocation, immediate disorientation.

The huntress took a deep breath. In and out. She allowed her thoughts to rush out of her, like a river running dry. In and out. There was nothing but her and what was in front of her. In and out. She was centered. In and out. She drew the arrow back, feeling the breeze against her face, shifting her aim over slightly. In and out. She felt the arrow's potential as it fought against the bow, striving for release. In and out. She visualized the shot. In and out. It was simple now. In and out. Just let go. In. Out. Let go.

[align=center][Roll for Accuracy (D7 w/ Wild Child): 2]

((Going to say the element of surprise gives the warg no chance to dodge.))[/align]

The arrow soared through the air, as if guided by the ranger's intentions. It sounded as if the air sizzled around it. Then, it made impact. A dull thump, the crack of bone, and a yelp as the warg caught it's breath.

[align=center][Warg's Endurance (D12) Target is D6: 5

Warg endures with +2 to Endurance, +1 to Agility and Strength.][/align]

The warg let go of its grip on the girl and turned in the direction of the arrows origin. It was searching for Miah. She would not give it the chance to be successful. The jugular. Massive loss of blood. Extreme disorientation. From this angle, constriction of the wind pipe. A quick death.

She notched another arrow in a quick, sure movement. She did not even think. Breath in. Out. Let go.

[align=center][Roll for Accuracy (D7 w/ Wild Child): 4]

[Roll for warg's Agility(D9) target is D4(only has a vague sense of Miah's location) to dodge: 8 Fail]

[Roll for Endurance (D14) target D12: 10]

[Warg Endures with +2 to Endurance and +2 to Agility, Strength, and Accuracy.][/align]

Once again, the arrow pierced the air. It's path was sure and it came to a conclusion in the warg's throat. The beast tried to howl, but it could not find the air to do so. It could only cough as dark blood began to pulse from it's throat. It staggered and groaned, but finally lifted it's head to meet it's attacker. It did not seem long for this world, but it's will to live was admittedly impressive.

Not wishing to waist good arrows on a creature in such a dismal state, Miah returned her other three arrows to her quiver. The warg was close enough now. She didn't think she could miss and the canine's reflexes were likely too slow now to move. Calculating the risk, she drew a long knife from its sheath on her hip. With that, she leaped from the branch.

[align=center][Roll Agility(D6 w/ Wild Child) target is D6: 1]

[Warg Roll Agility to dodge(D11) target is D1(Has to beat my roll, right?): 8]

[Warg to Endure(D16) target is D3(3 x my roll, right?): 11 Fail][/align]

With a gratuitous flip for style, Miah, like Death itself, fell upon the warg. The beast's legs gave out as the huntress's boots collided with it's spine. Riding the animal to the ground, Miah thrust her blade into the warg's heart, slipping neatly between it's ribs. Leaves and dirt puffed into the air as the two hit the ground. Now lying on its side, the warg jerked, pain coursing through it. The ranger let a soft, "Shhhh," slip through her lips, trying to comfort it in its last moments.

"You fought well, my friend," she whispered, stroking the warg's head as it wheezed and gasped for air, "No living creature wants to die, but it is the way of things. We shall meet again, sometime, somehow... Find peace. Goodbye..."

With that, the woman twisted the knife. A soft whimper, and the life faded from the animal's eyes. Miah sighed. With a gentle touch she closed the dog's eyes and wished it well on it's new path.

She removed her knife from the corpse, along with the arrow in the throat. She did not try the arrow that had pierced the lungs. It would be caught in the broken rib and would not come cleanly. Standing up, she looked back towards the other's to see how they were fairing. She sorely hoped they weren't hurt too badly. Carrying them to shelter one by one was not the most appealing thought at the moment.

((Okay... Holy shit.... Lucky rolling for kick-ass Miah is win! I probably will not be able to do that ever again! Also, I really hope I understood this new system. If I did anything wrong, please tell me.))

[Okay, okay, you can stop poking fun already... and is it not one action a turn? I didn't get a chance to do anything...]

I was unconscious by my own hand, I'm indifferent to your suffering; but I think we should only get multiple actions if you roll a 1`or it's part a of a skill. No worries though! Everyone makes mistakes.

~

G rolls endurance, d16, target 8: of course it's a 9, G attempted to rise, from his trauma induced slumber, only to fall back unto the dirt in a small cloud of dust. It appeared he'll need help getting up.

((I don't think I've gotten a roll under 9 this entire game.))

Pruria looked over to her partner and waved her hoof at him, [Nah, he'll be grand.] G groaned wearily in response.

((Thanks Pruria, you're a doll :P))

Pruria Joal (Pegasus)

Working on: Imposition

Hieldy (Moogle)

Working on: Possession/imposition

Samantha (Griffon)

Working on: Deafness/form

And please, call me G.

((Is it only on action per post? I was under the impression it was go until you're done. I was going to stop after I came to ground level, but that one kind of ended it. We'll have to come to a consensus on this.))

Miah rolled her eyes. The man didn't appear to be getting up anytime soon and his horse friend didn't seem to be in the helping mood. The woman walked over to the man's place and got down on her haunches. He appeared dazed, but he was comming out of it.

"I'll be damned if I'm going to lug your ass around," she grumbled aloud. "Come on, wake up sunshine!" With that, she licked her fingers and smacked the man on the cheek. He seemed non-responsive. Miah signed. "Fine. Have it your way."

She put the man's arm over her shoulder and pulled him up off the ground. The man was heavy, but she could prop him up until he regained his senses and began to support his own weight.

Man at her side, Miah began to make her way over to the girl, Chloe. The warg had gotten a fairly good grip on her and she could have been hurt badly. If she was, they all were in a very, very bad place. One man with a concussion was enough, but a girl with mauling wounds? It was not a good state to be in, especially in the middle of the forest, despite how "eternally good" they were.

No Jax what you did was perfectly correct, and admittedly pretty badass.

Anyway, for future reference there is a rural town to the north of here, built on the edge of the woods (traveling there will invoke a time-skip)

To the south-west a river flows nearby, it will provide fresh water and fish, you could also hunt wild animals for food. Problem is they may also hunt you. Weigh your decisions, do you go into the unfamiliar town or risk a night in the wilderness without a tent nor supplies.

I would finish whatever you are doing then get a move on before nightfall. The forest is a (more) dangerous place at night. (although if you do go into town could you let me describe it, at least initially as I've planned out an interesting (probably) scenario with both choices). Got any suggestion on the world say the word and make it an option.

Man... Chloe was about to do some ass kicking but the server was unavailable before I was about to post. Once I'm back, everything was done.

"Damnit"

Maybe I should just post a quick one and say "I'll post soon"

Also, we should let the person do action until he or she made a large mistake. Like how Chloe loses control of her shadow.

Chloe

-Endurance: D17

Shadow

-dissipated-

Chloe heard a whistling noise. Then she felt the clamp on her leg go away. Without a second thought she recalled the shadow.

[align=center]"Shadow"

Target endurance 8

Endurance D17; rolled 8

Shadow

Strength D12

Accuracy D10[/align]

Chloe somehow managed to get her shadow active right away but it didn't matter. Another arrow flew. And then the ranger jumped and killed the warg.

Chloe got up and groaned as she felt the pain on her feet. It was mauled pretty badly. The shadow coiled itself around her feet to stop the bleeding and support the weight of it's master body.

[align=center]Agility restored temporary

"Shadow armor" activated

Chloe

Strength D12

Agility D12

Accuracy D14

Endurance D9[/align]

Chloe saw Miah approaching and said;

"Thanks for that. By the way you fight just like my brother!"

Seeing how her wound is quite serious, she suggested to the group;

"Also, I know a person in the town nearby, we should go there."

In case everyone forgot. One of my another tulpa decides to be an alchemist in the nearby town which I called "Abani town".

She's not just an alchemist though, you'll know why.

Seeing how her wound is quite serious, she suggested to the group;

"Also, I know a person in the town nearby, we should go there."

AW, I was going to have the town be deserted and overrun with vampires. I'll make something else up.

How about the townspeople have erected a barricade to keep the animals out at night, as some dark, malevolent force makes them act viciously towards sentient beings. Tis a mystery.

Also you're going to have to hurry up, you've got 2 hours till dusk. Then it'll all go to shit.

Light seems to keep the creatures at bay, and animals aren't the only things that stalk the night. Just setting the scene.