Imposition and Phantom Tail Syndrome

Riku Aotsuki

If I impose cat ears onto my head, trouble is that I wouldn't be able to wear a hat which I do a lot of times and headphones.

And I'll probably look like a retard fiddling with air above my head inside a class.

But seriously, the human brain is a mystery...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BrownSubmarine

When I first changed my wonderland form into dragon I had intensive feel of phantom wings and tail for few days, it was interesting, I've done nothing with it and let it be until someone on IRC mentioned problem with writing because of dysphoria, after reading this I felt how hand with 4 fingers + thumb was just wrong, illogical and not good to use. After this I focused on separating form from body and I succeed, hands were no longer feeling weird and as a bonus I still am able to impose feeling of additional limbs, it's just not as passive as it was before (and there is no way yet to modify feel of existing limbs).

If you would like to try it imagine being something else or feeling a limb (it's hard to tell how to feel limb in air, I picture this like drop of ink in the water, this should give you basic idea).

And I'll probably look like a retard fiddling with air above my head inside a class.

Who said you will have to use physical arms to interact with non-physical ears? :P

-- Kob

Guest BrownSubmarine

Do you have to be able to impose a tulpa to do this? Or will it be easier?

Not really, "imposing a tulpa" is in fact just advanced visualization (including sight, touch and sound) and imposing yourself additional limb is more connected (IMHO) to ability to imagine yourself in different form. It could help but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-- Kob

If I impose cat ears onto my head, trouble is that I wouldn't be able to wear a hat which I do a lot of times and headphones.

But seriously, the human brain is a mystery...

Force holes in the hat. ;)

I shall attempt it. Maybe even impose a badass beard. :D

Awesome.

I would say you don't have to be able to impose a tulpa to be able to impose the feeling of a limb, but that may just be where I am coming from. Sense its only a limb and its basically based all around touch, whereas imposing a tulpa requires a lot more senses and is generally more complex I would say its harder. However, maybe some people might find it harder or easier then others.

Back when I was in college during a psychology course I gave something similar to this a try. I was writing a paper on phantom limbs, and a major portion of it was devoted to the idea supernumerary phantom limbs (limbs that a person never had in the first place) and species dysphoria. The basic gist of it was that people with species dysphoria have supernumerary phantom tails/wings/ears/etc. because they pretty much forced those limbs into existence by concentrating and visualizing themselves constantly with those limbs, not because their "auras/energies" were those of another creature. And that they were actually feeling these limbs, rather than just faking it to feel like special snowflakes.

I wanted to write on first-hand experience, so I spent about a month imagining myself with cat ears and a tail. I would imagine their movements when I walked, and in response to my emotions. I would "touch" them and imagine how they felt. Sure enough, I started literally feeling them even though I have no spiritual attachment to the cat. It was... kind of awesome, I'll admit :) The most interesting thing was that I assumed if I stopped thinking about them long enough, they would go away. They did fade, but on occasion they seem to "pop into existence" at random times every few weeks or so.

But yes, if anyone here is currently trying to force phantom limbs on themselves and is stuck on a problem, I don't mind trying to help out! It is a rather interesting experience!

I'm imposing wings on my back and it's already feeling uncomfortable.

wat is dis halp.

Would it be possible to impose animal (inverted knee and animal foot/paw) legs instead of normal legs? If so, I'll add that to my list of things that I learned from tulpa.info that can make you go insane :3

It's certainly possible to "overlay" non-human body parts over your own-- my host has experimented with doing just that-- although how effective it is largely seems to depend on how different the imposed anatomy is to that of humans. Dog legs are easier than bird legs, for example.

Oh, and there's no such thing as "inverted knees". What looks like a knee in many animal legs is actually the ankle joint, and they're walking on their tiptoes-- the real knee is higher up on the leg, tucked against the body, and often harder to see. ;)

Considering the number of people in certain other odd corners of the internet who claim to experience this, apparently unintentionally and with no sign of tulpas, I'd say it's significantly easier.