IRC chat [badges]

Chupi

Policy on badges on #tulpa.info?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Policy on badges on #tulpa.info?

• Ask users to remove them in all cases
    • Allow badges for tulpas who are available to chat, but not for nonvocal or away ones
    • Allow all badges

We recently added a policy on the chat discouraging the use of [badges] in nicks, especially for hosts with lots of tulpas or nonvocal tulpas. I'm also encouraging people to use a T\ prefix style instead, since brackets get confusing when there's multiple tulpas. Another option is to change your nick to the tulpa's name or let them choose a nick.

I want to know what the community thinks.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were making the policy, it would be one badge max, vocal and available tulpas only, and brackets only, no {Words} or |Words| or +Words+ or anything. Yes, I've seen people with only one tulpa using something weird just because.

I could deal with no badges just fine, but I don't really see a reason to completely ban them if they're properly regulated.

What about badges on the forum, here?

On the forums, definitely no. There's so much room where you can write your tupper's name elsewhere, even with a description of some sort if you so please. You got a signature, a custom title, the bio in your profile and the entire progress report forum to do that shit. A badge in your username is nothing but badging for the sake of badging, useless and attentionwhore-y as fuck. And fucking demeaning to your tuppers, I sure as hell would love it how the only way I'm allowed to speak is if I'm a) a badge my host wears to get online asspats and b) must badge all my text as well because of some retarded rules this community is trying to make. Because it's that difficult to write it in some other way that is either just as fast or a bit slower, but better for everyone in every other way. This is a forum, after all. Not a real time chat. And even in IRC, there's much better alternatives than whoring for attention by showing off all the tuppers you got.

You want a shared account and a shared username on the forums? How the fuck is host[tupper]{sockpuppet}|piss| a shared name? It's not. Make up a fucking shared account name if that's what you want, be a bit more creative. Hosts make up nicknames for themselves all the fucking time, tuppers can do the same. You could use one person's name as the account name and write the rest down somewhere else. Or you could also pick a name that is special to all of you instead of making your account name a list of names like you have no creativity, or just have you own accounts if you really want to juggle between them. But then again, the amount of people who just take existing characters to base their tuppers on already says a lot about this community's creativity.

In IRC, there is really no reason, either. There is no way countless of tuppers and a host could be speaking the same amount using one name, keyboard and body. Give the name to the main speaker and let them fucking speak without everyone else trying to get in the way. It's good to concentrate on one thing and do it well instead of trying to split the time and half ass it. And for ease of understanding if you really had to have everyone's fucking name in the list at the same time, you could have multiple clients open or something, fuck if I know.

There are so many alternatives. Refusing to see those alternatives is just you wanting to be an attentionwhore showing off your tuppers. How about you give them some time on their own without your fat name floating right next to them in the only place where they can be a bit more separate you when it's made so fucking easy. One fucking command, /nick, that doesn't take long to change. Though that isn't an invitation to change it every five minutes because come on, if you're only planning on talking for five minutes, you don't really need to have the name at that moment. It would do some good for many tuppers to gain some online identities of their own, not so connected to their hosts. And the best way to start that is to encourage every tupper to have some time they can use to chat with others without the other derps in the body getting in the way, using some name that isn't automatically connected to the host.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I think it should only be there for those that are actively chatting, and you should try to keep it as short as possible. I have no reason to use Kronkleberry[Alyson]{Lillian} if I'm the only one chatting. Kronkleberry[Alyson] is still pretty damn long, so I often shorten to Kronkle[Alyson]. I wouldn't have any trouble taking it farther, Kronk[Aly] to make it even shorter if we're both still talking. I hate it how people join with an already long nick, ImSoFuckingSpecial, and have to add one or two tuppers who *must* have their full names too.

The T/ notation is great for those who have many tulpa trying to talk at once, but if I just have one, I'm going to use brackets.

Tulpa: Alyson

Form: Human Female, slender body, Auburn hair, Emerald green eyes.

Tulpa: Lillian

Form: Human Female, slender, blonde, dark blue eyes

What about badges on the forum, here?

There's about 3 users with them. If we abolish badges I will contact them and ask for permission to change their nicks. I will probably do this even if we leave IRC badges as they are, since the forum ones just look silly and there's plenty of other ways to let people know your tulpas' names without screwing up the margins of posts with excessively long names.

Make up a fucking shared account name if that's what you want, be a bit more creative. Hosts make up nicknames for themselves all the fucking time, tuppers can do the same. You could use one person's name as the account name and write the rest down somewhere else. Or you could also pick a name that is special to all of you instead of making your account name a list of names like you have no creativity, or just have you own accounts if you really want to juggle between them.

This is a good alternative. Make up a name that applies to all of you, and use your own individual names within that.

Voting, but I don't expect anything to happen.

It's already happening. Check the /topic in #tulpa.info. The outcome of this poll decides what direction I take it in. At present the votes are 9/11/2, so I'm leaning toward allowing some, but maximum of 1-2, and only if they're available to talk to. I would also heavily discourage new users from using them.

Another thing I want to do regardless is disallow one- and two-letter badges. An example is Host[A]{B}|C|\D\+E+. That's just annoying ASCII clutter and conveys no useful information at all. The reason people started using badges in the first place was to tell others the name of the tulpa who was speaking in brackets, when the community got big enough that everyone no longer knew everyone else's tulpas.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Yeah, I really think it should be limited to people who will be actively speaking.. Besides, not being badged doesn't mean the tulpa can't chime in from time to time. On the IRC we go by TC|whoever is talking (TC|Jaden, TC|Kate, etc) but anyone in the group can pop in and say whatever without being badged. And people still ask about how Giselle is doing even when she's not badged, so at least in our case it hasn't caused a lack of focus on the tulpas who aren't mentioned in the username.

To be fair the badges never bugged me, but it was odd to see a multitude of nonvocal tulpas having badges.