A guide on Lucid Dreaming and Tulpas (v1.1)

Guest Anonymous

Question

Guest Anonymous

V1.1 Updates: Restructured the lucid dream guide. Made various additions to avoid confusion and ambiguities. Removed unnecessary bolding.

Introduction

I've been lucid dreaming for many years. My tulpa started being just a lucid dream friend. She was so real, independent, like a separate consciousness, that I needed to somehow take her out of the dream world, so I "updated her to tulpa status." This (as I've been told) "unusual and difficult" approach to making a tulpa has proven to be really exciting and fun, and has made me learn a lot along the road.

As I think there's many benefits on the use of lucid dreams to get closer to your tulpa, I've decided to make this guide on how to lucid dream and how to get in touch with your tulpa in the dream world, with various tips to make the best out of it.

Index

A - How to lucid dream (quick guide)

A.0 - About this guide / Useful links

A.1 - What's a lucid dream?

A.2 - Dream recall

A.3 - Techniques to induce lucid dreams

A.3.1 - The reality check

A.3.2 - Dream signs

A.3.3 - Dream cycles

A.3.4 - False awakening

A.3.5 - Wake Induced Lucid Dreams

A.4 - Inside the dream

A.4.1 - Staying longer in the dream

A.4.2 - Retaining lucidity

A.4.3 - Memory while lucid

A.4.4 - Dream control

B - Your tulpa in dreams

B.1 - General benefits

B.2 - Meeting your tulpa in a dream

B.3 - Tulpa deviations in dreams

B.4 - Bilateral feedback

B.5 - Dream characters as proto-tulpas

C - Questions and concerns

C.1 - What if I make a clone?

C.2 - I don't trust dreams.

C... - (For future questions / to be updated)

A - How to Lucid Dream (Quick guide)

A.0 - About this guide / Useful links

The purpose of this guide is to give you a quick overview of what lucid dreams are and common practices to start having them. Since there's a lot of in-depth information about lucid dreams out there, I'll try to give a more personal, simple and concise introduction to lucid dreaming in this text. If you are interested and want to do further research on the subject, check out the following links:

Dreamviews - Amazing and complete website devoted to lucid dreaming with lots of detailed guides and very useful forums.

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming - A fantastic book by Stephen LaBerge, father of lucid dreaming scientific research.

Basically it's a dream in which you are aware you're dreaming and you retain consciousness, which in turn makes the dream world very vivid and realistic. If you're lucid while dreaming, you can also achieve greater control over the dream, ultimately being able to change the whole dream world as you please.

You may probably have experienced one or two lucid dreams already, since in normal circumstances people have a few lucid dreams during their lifetimes. With some practice and a bit of patience you can achieve having several lucid dreams every night.

A.2 - Dream recall

The first important step is to be able to remember your dreams. What's the point in having an awesome lucid experience if it vanishes from your memory just as you wake up?

That's why I suggest starting a dream journal first. Keep a notebook and pen (or electronic device) just beside your bed (or under your pillow). Before falling asleep, concentrate for a while on convincing yourself you're going to write everything you can remember from your last dream as soon as you wake up. If you wake up and remember nothing, don't worry. If you can remember just a concept, object or idea, write it down. Write down as much as you can. You should also write about emotions, smells, sounds, textures, memories that the dream evoked... don't focus just on the events that happened. It could also help to remain a minute or two motionless with your eyes closed and carefully reconstruct the dream backwards in time before writing anything down.

This is a bit tedious, I know, but it pays off. In just a couple weeks, if you are persistent, you'll start remembering full dreams and filling several pages each night.

Although a dream journal is not really a must to successfully lucid dream, it can be really helpful. Apart from increasing your dream recall, it makes you more aware about your senses and thoughts through those detailed descriptions, eventually making it easier to discern when you're dreaming.

A.3 - Techniques to induce lucid dreams

There are many different techniques and practices that can increase your probabilities of having a lucid dream. The key is to try as many as possible and find those that are most effective for you. Many of them might not work the first couple times, or not work at all, so don't worry too much about failure and just experiment and have fun with them until you find the set of techniques that suits you the best.

A.3.1 - The reality check

A reality check is basically asking to yourself if you're dreaming, while awake. Ideally, you should do them regularly (every 5, 10, 30 minutes) during the day so you trigger them automatically also when dreaming. Also, you should avoid just repeating "am I dreaming?" like a parrot. Each time you do a reality check, you should take a moment to carefully examine your surroundings and recent memory ("what was I doing 5 minutes ago?", "What was I going to do next?") and see if anything is odd or out of place, meaning that you could be dreaming.

This technique, used by many lucid dreamers, doesn't particularly work for me, so I'll instead share my own way of doing a reality check, which is very simple and in my case very powerful:

While awake, you probably never question if you're dreaming, ever. But in dreams, you might always have a slight doubt. The only thing you need to do then is to learn to identify that doubt, even if it's almost insignificant. You need to convince yourself that anytime this happens, anytime you think you might be dreaming even if just a little, you're definitely dreaming.

A.3.2 - Dream signs

Once you've filled lots of pages of your dream journal, you might notice that some elements or themes appear frequently in your dreams. It could be people from your childhood, cars driving at unreasonable speeds, water, elevators… Try to identify them, and do a reality check every time you encounter these signs during the day. Try to associate those signs with thoughts about dreams. This way, whenever you encounter those signs inside a dream, you'll have better chances of asking to yourself if you might be dreaming and becoming lucid.

By doing this you're also giving very special attention to those signs, which in turn will probably increase the chances of them appearing in future dreams (and consequently the chances of becoming lucid). Because of this, I recommend choosing only neutral or positive signs that you like the most. This way you won't be bothered if these sings start showing up frequently in your dreams.

A.3.3 - Dream cycles

As you might know, we dream in cycles, which consist of a long period of deep sleep followed by a short period of REM sleep (when we usually dream). These cycles get shorter and shorter and the REM periods closer and closer together the more hours you've been sleeping, so you have better chances of becoming lucid early in the morning. A common practice for beginners is to try to wake up 2 or 3 hours before the time you'd normally wake up. Stay awake for a couple minutes, thinking about what you're going to do in the dream, repeating to yourself you're going to be lucid, reading books or forums about lucid dreams, etc. Doing this before you go back to sleep will increase your chances of becoming lucid, as you'll enter the REM sleep faster and better retain consciousness having been awake for a while concentrated in lucid dreams.

Many lucid dreamers will say that you should avoid using alarm clocks, as they can disrupt the sleep mid-cycle (which will make you wake up tired, and making it really difficult to recall previous dreams). I've used them however to train myself to wake up several times during the night (every 90 minutes or so). When I became used to it, even with no alarms I was waking up several times just as I finished a dream, helping me recall many more dreams and giving me more opportunities to try lucid dreaming techniques.

A.3.4 - False awakening

When you wake up from a dream, many times you wake up inside another dream. You may even dream about a dressing up, having breakfast, going to work... until you wake up for real and realize the whole day was just a dream (don't you hate it when this happens?). False awakenings can be a really powerful tool to induce lucidity. Start doing reality checks every time you wake up, so you trigger them also during a false awakening. Being so common (even more after a lucid dream), you'll be greatly increasing your chances of becoming lucid.

A.3.5 - Wake Induced Lucid Dreams

The Wake Induced Lucid Dream or WILD technique is probably the hardest one but also the most powerful. Every successful WILD attempt will put you directly in a lucid dream right from the start. There are many different ways to do this technique, so I'll focus here on my own personal way of doing it (if you want to know more, check this Dreamviews forum on the WILD).

What you want to do is remain conscious as your body is falling asleep. The best time to do this is again in the morning, during the late hours of sleep when you enter REM cycles easily (also during naps). To do this technique, you should avoid moving any part of your body. Pick a comfortable position first, and ignore any signal from your brain that makes you want to change position or scratch something that suddenly itches. Ignoring these signals will make your brain believe you're falling asleep faster. However, you should try not to focus too hard on it as it could make you feel tense or nervous, making it impossible to fall asleep. If you can't ignore the signals and you MUST change position, do it. Just try to remain as calm and relaxed as possible while being as motionless as possible and without giving too much attention to your body.

Try to repeat some phrase to yourself or count from 100 to 0 slowly so your mind stays focused and conscious. If that doesn't work, just imagine a story as complex as possible, picturing every detail (it could be the dream you want to enter next). If everything goes as planned, after a while you might feel a bit dizzy and overall numbness over your body as it actually starts to fall asleep. Don't panic! The feeling is really weird and you might be too excited/scared and fail the WILD instantly. By all means, try to stay calm and just think about the dream you want to enter. You can picture yourself falling down through your bed into a tunnel, whatever keeps your imagination running and conscious. If everything goes right, at some point you will step into the imagery that flows in front of your mind eye, entering the dream directly.

Even after many years of training, I can't do WILDs consistently every day, so don't worry if you fail many times, it's a really hard technique!

A.4 - Inside the dream

If you've attempted some of the lucid dreaming techniques, chances are you already got your first lucid dream. But it probably wasn't that rewarding. Usually, when we realize “This IS a dream!”, the whole dream world becomes suddenly much more crisp and colorful, becoming maybe even more vivid than your usual experience of reality. Sadly, you usually are too excited when this happens and you just wake up. And even if you manage to stay calm, the dream fades away in just a couple seconds. That's completely normal. Roughly speaking, your brain is not used to being conscious while dreaming so whenever it detects you're conscious it wakes you up instantly. Don't worry, as you lucid dream more and more, your lucid times will get gradually longer and you'll probably develop your own tricks to remain a bit more in the dream.

A.4.1 - Staying longer in the dream

Tricks to keep dreaming while lucid differ from one person to another, but there are some that seem universally helpful. Anyway, you should try to develop your own for best results.

· Looking at something closely, touching it, rubbing your hands, and in general focusing on a detail of the scene for a couple seconds can help “stabilize” the dream and prevent you from waking up.

· If the dream starts to get blurry and you feel like you're about to wake up, spin! The spinning motion somehow tricks your brain to not wake up (it is also a good trick to teleport you to another dream scene quickly!).

· If you wake up into a false awakening, you might become lucid again and continue with the dream right where you left off. By chaining dreams this way you can achieve lucid times of about an hour long or more!

A.4.2 - Retaining lucidity

Another problem when you have your first lucid dream experiences is that you usually lose lucidity. You become distracted with something in the dream world and suddenly you are “going with the dream” again, losing the lucid state and reverting to a normal dream. While lucid, you should always try to repeat to yourself that you're dreaming from time to time, even if you're just watching the dream go on by itself as a passive spectator. If you have thought about doing something specific in the dream before going to sleep, try to focus on it, and if something in the dream tries to distract you, just ignore it and concentrate hard on your goals.

A.4.3 - Memory while lucid

When lucid, your mind might not function exactly as it does when awake. Lucidity is not a on/off state. If you're just mildly lucid, your sense of what's logical or not might be a bit more tolerant, you are more prone to distractions, and your memory might be hard to access. If you have thought of something you want to do in the next lucid dream, it's a good practice to repeat to yourself several times what are your goals for your next lucid dream just before falling asleep. This will also help you remember the dream better as you'll recall if the goals were successfully completed or not. And once your goals are completed, it could be a good idea to try to wake up so you can remember the dream even better being closer in time.

A.4.4 - Dream control

The dream world will mostly change based on your expectations. If you want to fly, but you doubt a little you can fly, you probably won't go far up in the air. The key is to convince yourself that anything is possible in a dream, and to use your imagination to visualize in detail how it could be possible. You need yo be sure that you can fly, and you need to clearly imagine how it feels to be flying. Definitely harder than it looks. You have to fight against your firmly established subconscious expectations about how reality works. You can, however, trick yourself to overcome these difficulties in various ways.

· If you can't make someone appear (you tulpa for instance), convince yourself that they are already behind you, look down for their shadow, or talk to them as if they were there.

· If you can't go somewhere, use a door as a portal, do the spinning trick from before, or just turn back and believe you're there already.

· In general, if something isn't there, just assume it is behind you (it's easier to make things appear outside your field of vision). If you can't do something (for instance, having a superpower), you could think of a magical object that makes you capable of doing it which is nearby, on the floor, or that you already have on your pocket. The key is to be creative and use your imagination to make your mind more open to believe what's going on.

B - Your tulpa in dreams

B.1 - General benefits

Communicating with your tulpa for the first time is not an easy task. Many tulpamancers have to force for months just to get a faint emotional response. And even if imposition gives you the power to feel, see and hear your tulpa, it requires a lot of constant training for a long time (up to several years) to achieve near-lifelike multisensory perception of your tulpa. This failure to communicate during the first steps of the process is one of the things that may lead some tulpamancers to quit forcing out of frustration.

If you know how to lucid dream, you can fully experience your tulpa with your 5 senses, without problem. You can also talk to them early in development, spend some time together before you get any waking response from them. It can be really helpful during the first months to strengthen the bond between you and your tulpa and to keep you motivated to force more.

B.2 - Meeting your tulpa in a dream

Finding your tulpa in the dream for the first time can be harder than it looks. Your brain has a hard time figuring out how to realistically render strange forms, or even faces that you haven't seen before, so if you have just a vague idea of how your tulpa looks like, don't expect them to appear perfectly in your dream the first time, even more if they are non-human, or cartoonish-looking. However, if you haven't established a definite form yet, you can let the dream work it out for you!

Once you successfully enter a lucid dream, you can start looking for your tulpa around you. If you can't find them there, use the trick from before and just assume they are already there, behind you. If that doesn't work look for their shadow, try to call them and listening to their voice, or go through a door and expect them to be inside.

Once you think you've found them (you could be unsure if their form is not quite correct), ask them "are you [tulpa name]?" If the answer is positive, congratulations, you've found your tulpa, give them a tight hug! You could think that maybe more questions should be asked to ensure that it IS really your tulpa. From my experience, if you assume and firmly believe it's your tulpa, then it is your tulpa.

If you want to do something specific with your tulpa or ask them some questions in a dream, be sure to write it all down and try to remember them as you're falling asleep. If you have a lucid dream, you'll remember the events and responses better and it will also help you to remember more of the dream when you wake up.

B.3 - Tulpa deviations in dreams

From my own experience, tulpa and host have the same difficulties during dreams. Tulpas can also be "going with the dream" when you meet them, be distracted and not pay much attention to you (just like when you have a normal dream). For a perfect experience, you need your tulpa to also be lucid. If your tulpa seems to be lost and distracted, remind them that they are inside a dream, tell them to not get distracted with the flow of the dream and to pay attention to you.

If your tulpa's personality seems off, just ignore it. You might have had some dream in which you were angry and aggressive without reason, or acting in a really weird way, right? Same thing can happen to tulpas, they are not always behaving "as themselves". That's why you should just take into account the encounters in which your tulpa acts as they're supposed to act, when they are "fully lucid". Getting angry at your tulpa for a bad dream is completely unfair (as it'd be for your partner to accuse you from cheating on a dream!). Try to always be positive and tolerant, and treasure the good and fruitful moments.

Form can also deviate in dreams, for the reasons I said before and also because nothing in dreams remains completely static. You can either let it go and ignore it completely, or try tulpa-dreamsculpting! Try using your lucid powers to change every bit of their appearance so they look just perfect. This is also a great aid for visualization. However, spending too much time trying to get the perfect form every time can be a bit frustrating and time consuming, so try to be tolerant about the form changes instead as they'll probably be happening frequently. You might even love some of the changes!

B.4 - Bilateral feedback

The greatest results come by combining the best of the two worlds. While in a lucid dream, you can ask your tulpa for advice on "awake forcing". You can also verify that your communication experiments are being fruitful. For example, you can ask your tulpa "When yesterday I heard a faint 'Hello' in the back of my head, was it really you?". And vice versa, you can ask your tulpa to do something in the next lucid dream and see if they remember and actually do it. You can ask them to help you become lucid, or to find you in dreams instead of you looking for them. Doing experiments in both directions will greatly increase your tulpa's abilities to communicate better with you, inside and outside of dreams.

Again, always keep in mind that lucid dreams are not 100% reliable. One day your tulpa may not remember anything you said being awake, or not even recognize you. That doesn't mean it's true. Ask them again another day, and if they're lucid, they will surely remember everything and behave normally. As I said before, just ignore a dream if something goes wrong, and expect the next one to be awesome.

B.5 - Dream characters as proto-tulpas

If you have a lucid dream companion, and you feel that you want to be with them more closely, have a deeper relationship even when being awake, you might want to "upgrade" them to a tulpa.

Alternatively, if you've just started on making a tulpa, instead of working on personality and form from scratch, you can make lucid dreams do the work for you. Before going to sleep, convince yourself that in your next dream you'll meet your tulpa. If you're not sure about it when you find someone that looks like it could be your tulpa, you can ask them "are you my tulpa?". If the response is positive, congratulations! As before, you might want to ask more questions to ensure they are, but believe me, it's better to just assume it's them. After the first encounter, you can keep visiting them regularly and get to know them better through lucid dreams and do traditional forcing during the day.

C - Questions and concerns

C.1 - What if I make a clone?

This was a deep fear when I started. What if my dream character ends up being just a clone of my tulpa (or vice versa)? The best way to prevent this is to fire questions in both ways, as I said before. In dreams, ask them if they can hear you while awake. While awake, ask them if they remember your last dream together. By doing so you will be making connections and helping your brain believe that the dream tulpa and the awake tulpa are exactly the same being.

In my opinion, you can't make a clone if you don't want to. Just as what happens with "accidental parroting", believe that an "accidental clone" is impossible. Ignore it completely and it won't be a problem. Assume it's always the same tulpa.

· "But my tulpa doesn't remember our time together in the last lucid dream!"

You don't remember all of your dreams, so don't expect your tulpa to do so. Tell them what you did to refresh their memory, ask them another day for another dream, and you will definitely have some positive results.

· "But, while in the lucid dream, my tulpa didn't remember anything from the past day!"

More or less the same. Memory in dreams isn't always accessible, and your tulpa may not be always as lucid as you are. Just ask the same on later lucid dreams and eventually they'll remember everything without a problem. Again, try to ignore bad experiences and treasure the good ones.

C.2 - I don't trust dreams!

Yes, lucid dreams are not completely static. If you're looking for absolute perfection and total control in lucid dreams, you might be disappointed. Your tulpa will definitely deviate a lot in lucid dreams, so why bother even trying? Is going to be a mess to discern when your tulpa is in their "true" form and personality!

Actually, it isn't difficult at all. Just as you can tell when "something's wrong" with a close friend or relative, you can know whether or not your tulpa is "acting weird" or not, quite easily. If their personality is off, you can convince them to "go back to normal" and that they're just being distracted by the dream. If form is off, don't worry too much about it unless you want to practice some in-dream visualization, as it will always deviate a little.

[Note, tiny edits in posts for anonymization purposes, as requested by the OP -Chupi]

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for this guide! I've always had problems trying to lucidly dream (I've yet to actually pull it off consciously), so I'll try these techniques to see if I can succeed. ^_^

System Name: The Z Squad

Original: Zoe, The Organizer

Headmate: Zach, The Protector

Headmate: Zero, The Confidence

Tulpa: Chael

Form: Fallen angel with rabbit features and horns

Tulpa: Celeste

Form: Android

Hey Anonymous, thanks for making this informative guide on providing concepts, advice, and suggestions if readers are interested in using lucid dreaming a supplement towards tulpa creation and beyond. I glanced over it first and then gave a more engaging read, and you’ve done an excellent job in getting your points across, and for English being your second language, you sure have an eloquent way of describing things.

I’m just going to go ahead and give a critique on it to follow along with the whole GAT procedural thing. And with lucid dreaming, having some experience myself (but not as much experiential learning as you’ve claimed to have), I guess you were presenting ever-green content on lucid dreaming since the forum itself lacks any lucid dreaming related content to associate with tulpas (other than the DreamViews parent link, but that’s pretty much it).

I’ll just go section by section for this:

You’ve given the general definition of lucid dreaming, which is pretty straightforward, so I can’t really say much for this. However, for the part where you talked about how a person would presumably have “much more control over the dream,” newcomers that may be oblivious to lucid dreaming may take that in the wrong direction. They may imply that they would have to have some level of control in order to fit the “parameters” of having a lucid dream.

I’m sure you’re well aware that a person doesn’t necessarily have to have a lot of control to be lucid in a dream. Especially since an individual can become a spectator and just happen to know that they’re dreaming. When I used to start out with attempting lucid dreaming, I always had the predisposition that I would have to control something (e.g. my body or changing an environment). It took me hundreds of dreams later to realize that was what skewed how many lucid dreams I actually had. Control doesn’t really need to be a factor, just awareness, but I’m only stating this because newcomers tend to make implications on anything that involves rigidness, stability, and control.

Just something to point out because the audience here is completely different. If it were your regular lucid dreaming community, they would take things with a grain of salt, but for a community like this, they’ll tend to take the subtle things too seriously.

A.2 - Dream recall

Everything for this section was just fine except for the last part. I understand you’ve stated this because it’s always more pragmatic to have a consistent level of dream recall to ensure consistency with increasing the probability of lucidity in dreams, but this may intimidate some newcomers.

Of course, as you know, we can only rely on anecdotal cases on how some individuals don’t necessarily have to have the militant strive to augment dream recall quality and content to attempt lucid dreaming. It’s mostly just for them being able to even remember they had a lucid dream. I felt that what you stated at the end with it being very difficult, maybe reinforce the reason for that difficulty is because the one attempting it may forget their lucid dreaming endeavors in the first place.

I know for this section you had to go for the basic route, but just something else to point out to others who may wonder how much they need to be proficient in dream recall to succeed in lucidity. Though I admit that I made militant strives for dream recall, it was because I focused more than just recalling the events. I recalled things with as much sensory description possible (e.g. how I felt, how people felt, what the conditions were like, and the overall feelings after recalling the dream).

Because people can eventually recall things well, but it’s more of them developing the habit to get into sensory description even more that will allow them to have that metacognitive set of abilities to know when they’re dreaming. Maybe you could expound on this a bit more to prevent some ambiguity on what would be the general concept to go about with improving dream recall.

A.3 - Reality check

I used to follow reality checks by the book, and that’s what ultimately contributed partially towards my confusion on whether or not I was lucid dreaming years back. I’m sure you know that reality checks should be considered a supplement, and it’s not always reliable, especially if a person makes repetitious habits to do them in waking life.

The reason being is that the individual may have those habits sublimating in their dreaming state of being, but they may not necessarily be able to proceed in sustaining their lucidity for very long (i.e. getting excited after a reality check and eventually losing stability because of the high emotional state they’re not used to adjusting accordingly).

So for this section, maybe you could refer that reality checks are just supplements and that one should practice them consistently with intent . This is because there’s individuals that can repeat things like a broken record, but they never develop enough prospective memory to go along with that. However, for later sections where you promoted the reader to imagine themselves in dream incubation, this would’ve made things redundant…so I guess now it’s just an “it goes without saying” notion.

A.4 - Dream signs

You’ve provided a good overview on what dream signs are and why people should consider them as one of many ways to reach lucidity. I know one of my dream signs are blonde women (which eventually manifested Eva), though adding that with the hundreds of reoccurring events after recalling thousands of dreams these past 2-3 years makes it debatable if dream signs can increase chances of lucidity.

Though I wonder if by the time the dreamer collects certain dream signs, wouldn’t the fact that they have inward focus on them lead to the tendency that they’ll consistently have those reoccurring dream signs? This is why you could expound a bit more with how you stated dream signs can give one better chances of lucidity as long as they don’t make a militant ambition to only scavenge for a few reoccurring dream signs.

Because I’m sure the more they have a larger totality of dreams recalled, dream signs as a means for lucidity would just be considered a transient mode that could go both ways in reaching lucidity or not.

A.5 - Becoming lucid for the first time

For this section, I guess you were trying to give a quick introduction to REM cycles and a general method combined with the WBTB (Wake Back to Bed). However, I’m not sure if you were making this section to give a pragmatic method or set of methods for the reader to reach lucidity for the first time.

If so, which most likely is the case, maybe you can inform them on the WILD technique right below this section as well instead of having it at the near to last section before starting on the tulpa section. This way, you could give the general method (with the alarm) and label that it’s a good start, and WILD is something more advanced right after it’s mentioned.

And for the alarm, since you mentioned how one can remember their dreams better in a later section if they remain motionless (i.e. keeping their eyes relaxed), wouldn’t this contradict things a bit? Because for their first attempt at lucid dreaming, they may get startled by the alarm and end up having a difficult time recalling their dreams.

Of course, they could always shut it down as quickly as possible and go back to recollecting their thoughts, but this would seem more applicable to those who are used to the sounds. Maybe you could also suggest that the person can practice waking up naturally (without an alarm) to help with having accumulative dream recall. And this could also allow you to explain more on how autosuggestion or even a MILD (Mnemonic/Mantra Initiated Lucid Dream) can help as well with that.

A.7 - Staying longer in the lucid dream

Good overview on explaining how kinesthetic practice (e.g. touching objects, body parts, etc.) helps with sustainability in lucid dreams

A.9 - Memory while lucid

When you mentioned the part with how it may be hard to access one’s memory during lucidity, I felt this was an exaggeration. I guess you were mentioning how the dreamer would focus more on the random spontaneity (ergo forgetting their dream goals), but for the part with memory accessing, the dreamer is already in a state of consciousness of imaginative potential to where this logic is pretty much contradicting.

And it seems you were suggesting the usage of mantras and autosuggestions as well, not that it’s a bad thing, just something to point out seeing how you gave tautological suggestions in other sections. But I guess reinforcing that to the reader, especially for newcomers that may be confused on what to do will give them more assurance.

A.9 - Memory while lucid

The part with “your mind won’t function exactly as it does when awake,” this ended up with more ambiguity than you were probably intending it to be. It’s mostly a debate on whether or not you’re mentioning the dreamer’s conscious state of being or if the other aspects of their minds just go through random filtering of somatic, psychosomatic, day events, and other occurrences/processes that wouldn’t be consistent in relation to how we conceptualize waking life.

Because for lucidity, especially if the dreamer performs a WILD technique, I’m pretty sure they’ll have their cognitive and metacognitive abilities/awareness/etc. still intact, since they are diving into an altered state of consciousness that literally allows them to access the same imaginative potential I mentioned before.

So maybe for this section, you could elaborate more on how dreams in general won’t make sense compared to waking life, and how more practice will eventually allow the dreamer to have unconscious competence in knowing when they’re dreaming or not. And non-lucid dreams can be as beneficial because the dreamer can now accumulate competence in understanding the common absurdities that goes in in their heads at times.

Because even if the dreamer repeats their goals several times, depending on how long they actually get into their REM periods (or even non-REM), the time they took to wait (in a WILD attempt) may have them forgetting their goals entirely. Of course, this isn’t always a fixed pattern, but just something to point out to you speaking from experience.

A.10 - Control of the dream

Definitely agreed with the content you provided here. It’s always a matter of disposition when it comes to the dreaming state. Learning how to balance out conceptual schemes, upbringing, and other factors that may restrict that suggestive state of optimism can definitely change the dynamic for all dreamers.

However, I admit that it’s more of the person knowing how to imagine what it would feel like to “fly” or something abnormal in a dream instead of just going “courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality” all the time. It goes back to what I stated with how going more into detail with dream recall other than giving a chronological set of events that occurred adds on to building that accumulative competence in doing pretty much anything in your dreams.

A.11 – Nightmares

I would have to disagree on the notion on how nightmares would be less believable than usual dreams, especially when there’s countless of anecdotal cases and even some articles that inform others that nightmares can be some of the most emotionally memorable experiences. Which means the person would be more likely to believe what occurred because fear and other negative emotions may actually help them get more attention that they’re dreaming.

So I’m not sure if you were just adding this part to give the generic way of handing nightmares as a double role. Whether it’s for gaining lucidity and the whole-understanding–sense-of-self, I’m not sure if this would actually be useful for people wanting to use lucid dreaming as a supplement for tulpa creation.

Because it’s easier to say that anyone can have the courage to face their nightmares, but for it actually having pragmatic use for the tulpa creation process, it seems it’s something they can ignore (like you’ve mentioned in later sections). Although I do agree facing one’s nightmares saves a lot of hassle (i.e. them reaching the realization that the only thing to fear is themselves), with the intent of this guide giving a general overview for tulpa creation in combination with lucid dreaming, it seems to be of little use.

Maybe you could explain more on why nightmares in general would be something a person would consider. Some doors within the confines of our minds should remain closed for obvious reasons, and people may not want to take that chance in finding things about themselves they aren’t going to be prepared for.

A.12 – The WILD Technique

For this section, there’s something you should emphasize with the methodology of the WILD technique you’re giving.

You must avoid moving any part of your body

Maybe you could add on to how the person should do this, but they shouldn’t make it a habit of having to consciously focus on avoiding movement with their bodies. Because the whole point of a WILD is for the individual to be able to get into an ideal state to shift into dreaming state, or in short, it’s just another mode to reach lucidity.

The same thing goes with ignoring the signals the brain makes to “test” to see if the person is falling asleep. Because some cases would suggest that those signals are very hard to ignore, in fact, they may have the person consciously focused on trying to persevere. Having that high state of resistance may be counterproductive, especially when things like auditory hallucinations of rapid heartbeats and such can intimidate and scare someone attempting lucidity.

A useful link where an individual gives their experiences with WILD and some advice can be found here:

http://www.dreamviews.com/wild/

This can be something useful for newcomers to read into. I’m not saying the information you’re providing is wrong, it’s just that they may need to be explained a bit more to show that the person shouldn’t aim to be still as a brick during their attempts. It’s more of them knowing how to relax and still sustain passive awareness of what’s going on.

Because people can still move around just fine simply because they know how to they can relax. There’s other WILD tutorials that seem to break away from the logic of being still as much as possible while finding transient activities (i.e. counting in your head) to eventually help in reaching the dreaming state.

B.1 General Benefits

This is a nice way to entice people to get the hope that they can have a tulpa from day one. However, this is dependent on whether or not they had accumulative competence of reaching lucidity stacked on beforehand. So this section may be a bit misleading simply because the person may find a dream character in a non-lucid dream that they may be predisposed into making a tulpa in waking life.

And even though you’re right that a person can experience their tulpa with all 5 senses, it’s not as if it’s overly difficult to do so in waking life. It’s just that the person has common restrictions and mental boundaries absolved during the lucid experience. There’s nothing wrong with this section to cause detrimental effects since it can give hope for people, but just know others may give a more analytical eye towards disagreeing with this section.

B.2

Agreed, this takes “treating them as sentient” philosophy to a whole new level, in fact, it just furthers how most of the encounters ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. I’m glad you explained this section in a positive manner to reinforce to the reader that intention is pretty much king in getting results.

B.4 Bilateral feedback

The part where the dreamer and tulpa would have consistency issues on whether or not the tulpa actually did something in the dream is definitely a challenge anyone would have to encounter. However, it gets more complicated because furthering the questioning on whether or not the tulpa actually did something would probably eventually lead to them believing they did have some involvement.

Though I guess closing the gap of uncertainty comes with practice from both the host and tulpa.

B.5 Dream characters as proto-tulpas

I would personally disagree with you on people “upgrading” their reoccurring dream characters to tulpas. Simply because the experiences in dreams is a completely different dynamic to the normative waking life practices in tulpa creation and living. Though I guess this is just a matter of disposition and what upbringing the person had since I did lucid dreaming way before I knew about tulpas.

Also, when questioning dream characters, sometimes they’ll easily become “yes men,” so maybe you could explain more on how the dreamer should ask more things that goes into detail so they wouldn’t be inclined to wait for one positive response that may come about out of many negative responses.

C.1 – What if I make a clone

Well done on explaining things here, because this forum always has in abundance of people with confusion on existential aspects for tulpas, dream characters, or any other forms of thought-forms for that matter. The one’s that worry focus more on the origins rather than realizing the end result is going to be the same.

In a way, people would see dream characters as transient potentials for becoming tulpas, and some may subscribe to how those dream characters are already full-fledged tulpas.

Quick recap:

• Maybe format some things in a way that I suggested (especially with the techniques and the WILD one you added way after that section)

• Some links that you feel others should read for supplementary insight for their endeavors can help as well

• Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on the sections I mentioned that had would be ambiguous to those new to lucid dreaming

Other than that, this is definitely a useful guide for readers who may not have some understanding of the concepts of lucid dreaming or even the experiential learning for it as well. Maybe something you could do is provide links that you feel they could research on more. I know further research should be a given for anyone reading information, but it’s something that could add on to this.

Since you’re having the intention to update the guide, and since the content you’re providing will most likely be extended, I would still give this guide an approval if the suggestions given would be implemented in some way.

But I’m not expecting you to incorporate every single suggestion of course. Anyway, looking forward to any future updates on this. Thanks for taking the time to collaborate this information Anonymous!

Guest Anonymous

Hey Anonymous, thanks for making this informative guide on providing concepts, advice, and suggestions if readers are interested in using lucid dreaming a supplement towards tulpa creation and beyond.

[...]

Wow, what a great in-depth critique, thanks!

I actually agree with pretty much everything you've suggested. My intention at first was to make just a quick easy guide on lucid dreaming for the first part. Since there's already a lot of very good information about how to lucid dream out there, I tried to make my guide a bit more personal and simple. Fearing that going into much detail would be boring to read, I left a lot out, merged some concepts together and went just superficially over others. I guess instead of being simpler it just appears more confusing at certain parts, so I'll definitely expand the guide a bit more to avoid the ambiguities. And I also agree with the WILD being out of place. I'll probably making a section with some of the most known techniques.

I'll be adding some links too, that's something I didn't think of and it's actually very helpful. Thanks again!

Seriously, thank you so goddamn much for this. I had such an amazing night last night. I had 2 lucid dreams and 2 where I was aware, but not really in control.

I have only been researching this for less than a week now, and it seems insanely bizarre I was able to do this this early.

The things that helped me the most were: Vitamin B6 and spinning.

I've been taking the vitamin supplements for a week now and had a dramatic increase in dreams, up to this point where I had 5 dreams (including the 2 lucid and 2 aware) that I remembered in one night!

The spinning though, helped me maintain it. I don't know why, but I almost lost control a few times, and spinning put me right back into it.

I don't mean to brag, but this seemed really easy. I was bad about reality checks during the week, and I just kinda "realized" I was dreaming and went in control from there.

Thank you again so much, and my tulpa thanks you too!

In a lucid dream, you can fully experience your tulpa with your 5 senses, without problem. You can talk to them from day one...

Assuming of course, that you can lucid dream according to your guide. And if you can't, then you're spending time learning how to get lucid dreaming to work which often takes quite a long time for many. False advertising much, huh?

And speaking of the bolds, when there's so many, the emphasis is lost. I suggest you to write your next possible guide in another way, because this is annoying and either implies you think that we can't get your point because we are idiots, or that you have written your point poorly and it would be impossible for anyone to get the important parts without.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Guest Anonymous

Assuming of course, that you can lucid dream according to your guide. And if you can't, then you're spending time learning how to get lucid dreaming to work which often takes quite a long time for many. False advertising much, huh?

And speaking of the bolds, when there's so many, the emphasis is lost. I suggest you to write your next possible guide in another way, because this is annoying and either implies you think that we can't get your point because we are idiots, or that you have written your point poorly and it would be impossible for anyone to get the important parts without.

I'm not advertising anything (?), I'm just sharing my experience. What I was trying to say is that if you know how to lucid dream, you can contact your tulpa very early in development. I think it was implied but I guess it isn't...

About the bold thing, I read somewhere in the forums that long walls of text should be avoided and the use of bold to emphasize important bits was encouraged. I'm not calling anyone an idiot, and I don't know why do you treat me like this. Is it really necessary to be so mean? Am I offending you in some way?

The advertising part is about your claimed day one results, which won't happen to everyone as everyone can't do the lucid dreaming thing. It's not implied and you bet when newbies skim through the text, all they see is DAY ONE RESULTS NO EFFORT NO PROBLEM WOO. Well they'll probably see it anyways because people have a habit of seeing what they want but eh...

Walls of texts are broken up by paragraphs, which you have done. If the entire thing is tl;dr anyways, then you read through your thing and see if there's something you can word better, so you can get rid of tons of useless sentences. If you want to write up an actual summary of you guide (not really necessary in these that explain tons of steps but you could summarize an article you wrote or something), you would summarize the entire thing. Not every paragraph, not every chapter or whatever, the entire thing. Doing that is an important skill though, but one that requires you to actually learn the skill. But that's kinda going off-topic here.

Hi, Sands, from the GAT. Guide approval team. My job is to look at guides and rate them, though yours isn't under the spotlight yet so I'm not going to approve or disapprove here now. I'm here to give you my two cents for now, telling you writing tips you desperately need. Seeing that I didn't rip you a new asshole here, you should be thinking you did something right when you wrote this. My nitpicking is pretty minor, isn't it.

Mean? Where am I being mean? Treating you "like this"? Well, if you're going to be that way, I can treat a diva the way they should be. Listen, if you can't handle people not licking your ass, don't ever post anything you create online. Don't show it to anyone but your friends/family who will never tell you the truth or what you need to hear. No harsh words or critique, just asspats. If that's what you want, sure, go ahead. You're not going to get just asspats here, though.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Guest Anonymous

The advertising part is about your claimed day one results, which won't happen to everyone as everyone can't do the lucid dreaming thing. It's not implied and you bet when newbies skim through the text, all they see is DAY ONE RESULTS NO EFFORT NO PROBLEM WOO. Well they'll probably see it anyways because people have a habit of seeing what they want but eh...

Walls of texts are broken up by paragraphs, which you have done. If the entire thing is tl;dr anyways, then you read through your thing and see if there's something you can word better, so you can get rid of tons of useless sentences. If you want to write up an actual summary of you guide (not really necessary in these that explain tons of steps but you could summarize an article you wrote or something), you would summarize the entire thing. Not every paragraph, not every chapter or whatever, the entire thing. Doing that is an important skill though, but one that requires you to actually learn the skill. But that's kinda going off-topic here.

Hi, Sands, from the GAT. Guide approval team. My job is to look at guides and rate them, though yours isn't under the spotlight yet so I'm not going to approve or disapprove here now. I'm here to give you my two cents for now, telling you writing tips you desperately need. Seeing that I didn't rip you a new asshole here, you should be thinking you did something right when you wrote this. My nitpicking is pretty minor, isn't it.

Mean? Where am I being mean? Treating you "like this"? Well, if you're going to be that way, I can treat a diva the way they should be. Listen, if you can't handle people not licking your ass, don't ever post anything you create online. Don't show it to anyone but your friends/family who will never tell you the truth or what you need to hear. No harsh words or critique, just asspats. If that's what you want, sure, go ahead. You're not going to get just asspats here, though.

Oh, so you are from the GAT. I'm not being a diva at all. You just said that the bold thing I did was either me calling people stupid, or me being so stupid that I have to bold it to make better my poor writing, and meanwhile you were making fun of the bold thing to make me look even more stupid. Is that not being mean? Is that constructive critique? Maybe you should look at the critique Linkzelda did a couple replies back and learn a lot about how to treat people with respect.

I don't want people licking my ass, I don't want asspats. I just want to be treated in a normal, educated way when the only thing I'm doing is sharing my experience to help others. I guess this is the wrong place for that!

Yeah Linkzelda is doing the whole writing stuff about every paragraph which is annoying and not exactly what critique should be about, he tends to lack the whole critique of the entire thing part which I hope he'd do more often. He has good points, he just could learn a lot from the whole read the thing through again and drop useless sentences thing. He's gotten better as he's taken advice from some of the great writer dudes here but there's still a bit more to go for him.

Also did I say that you called people stupid or that you were stupid? I didn't. I said the way you wrote and bolded implies such, because all that bolding is just a poor idea for getting your point across. Whether you want it or not, the tone of your text becomes annoying and difficult to read, treating your readers badly. My overuse of the bold was an over the top example and that was annoying to you, wasn't it? It sure seems like it was. So how do you think your readers feel when reading your thing that's also full of bolds and almost as ridiculous with them?

So, I gave you a tip. Drop the bolds or you give your readers all kinds of messages you don't want to give them. It's a bad way of writing. Dropping the readers and them getting annoyed at your writing from here, how do you think all those bolds make you look as a writer? Like I said, like you can't write your thing well enough so that it can be understood with bolds. It's not a good message.

Trust me, those bolds aren't needed and I doubt you will need them in the future. This thing even becomes more readable without when I copypaste it elsewhere, because they don't keep distracting me from reading. And do keep in mind that the bolds lose their emphasis when you overuse them. That is bad. See what I did there?

I'd treat you in a normal and educated way if you realized not everyone is out to get you.

edit: this r key, I swear

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Linkzelda is doing the whole writing stuff about every paragraph which is annoying and not exactly what critique should be about, he tends to lack the whole critique of the entire thing part which I hope he'd do more often. He has good points, he just could learn a lot from the whole read the thing through again and drop useless sentences thing. He's gotten better as he's taken advice from some of the great writer dudes here but there's still a bit more to go for him.

Also did I say that you called people stupid or that you were stupid? I didn't. I said the way you wrote and bolded implies such, because all that bolding is just a poor idea for getting your point across. Whether you want it or not, the tone of your text becomes annoying and difficult to read, treating your readers badly. My overuse of the bold was an over the top example and that was annoying to you, wasn't it? It sure seems like it was. So how do you think your readers feel when reading your thing that's also full of bolds and almost as ridiculous with them?

So, I gave you a tip. Drop the bolds or you give your readers all kinds of messages you don't want to give them. It's a bad way of writing. Dropping the readers and them getting annoyed at your writing from here, how do you think all those bolds make you look as a writer? Like I said, like you can't write your thing well enough so that it can be understood with bolds. It's not a good message.

Trust me, those bolds aren't needed and I doubt you will need them in the future. This thing even becomes more readable without when I copypaste it elsewhere, because they don't keep distracting me from reading. And do keep in mind that the bolds lose their emphasis when you overuse them. That is bad. See what I did there?

I'd treat you in a normal and educated way if you realized not everyone is out to get you.

edit: this r key, I swear

It's not about the bold thing. Really, you can stop that. As I've said before, I only did it because I thought it was encouraged in these forums. I have nothing in favor of it, at all. I don't have a problem with the critique, I have a problem with the way you criticize. It's harsh, unpolite, and it makes me want to bold things more instead of the opposite.

"Also did I say that you called people stupid or that you were stupid? I didn't. I said the way you wrote and bolded implies such"

And this is what you said:

"...because this is annoying and either implies you think that we can't get your point because we are idiots, or that you have written your point poorly and it would be impossible for anyone to get the important parts without"

I say the way you wrote it implies that either I think people is stupid or that I'm stupid. If you can easily assume the meaning behind my words and why I bold, why can't I assume the meaning behind your words and mockery? (See what I did there?)

Treating people in a normal and educated way should be the default, not something we have to ask for. If you don't want to do it because I'm a diva, then treat me like shit, I'll greatly welcome it.