Roseluck's art gallery & Requests

STeeK

So I made a quite big thing involving a #39471 generic Gardevoir for @Brassow

McXFLw3t.png

NrjJxAit.png

STBjqUjt.png

CJ7g62ct.png

I'm really pleased with the outcome, the only big issue is that her arms were a little difficult to design without them looking silly (In the calm image) and her left arm looking a little bit awkward in the exited one, I realise that too late. I could try another angle, or maybe a little bit short. Not a big deal anyway.

Also, the background vector was made by kjpargeter. It really saved me a lot of time

The confetti popper vector was totally stolen from a preview thumbnail in a pay-to-use platform. It's not my fault they left those thumbnails with good quality and with just a silly watermark

@Sock forget about what I said about the brush tool with blending, bad idea. Blending is just trouble. The fact that blends the transparency (this sounds bad, but it's true) mess everything in a second and you probably will not notice it after long time. Long story short, it makes the texture semitransparent if you blend the transparency.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of days ago a was away from home and internet so I made a couple of sketches in paper

The result is mediocre plus the pencil and paper it isn't for me, probably because there is no "undo" button.

In half of the images Rose don't have a head, too difficult and messy in a for a little space.

WTwIJwZm.jpg

I like this one, with a little help of Illustrator is going to be perfect.

Hey, a good looking hand.

d8lCaJFm.jpg

The proportions are a mess in this one, again, no "undo" button.

WMoR0S5m.jpg

She is holding something that I didn't draw.

tyuSNdlm.jpg

I forget the bow here, such heresy.

Good to see you back in! :)

Surprisingly enough, not having an undo button when you are learning how to draw is a very good thing. I actually remember the idea that learning how not to erase was an element of learning how to draw properly, though I haven't gotten over that particular hurdle myself, heheh.

I believe the idea is to train the eye to better retain the shape of the subject drawn, as well as to separate the most important lines to draw rather than obsessing over details that, while nice, are not vital to the image's fidelity. Embracing that sort of imperfection is super hard, though, since your mind wants to correct the mistake, rather than to let it be and continue with the greater work . I still struggle with it to this day, and have been in the mind to attempt longer drawings without erasing to help jump this barrier.

One good way to exercise jumping this is to do gesture drawings. 30 second scribbles where you must get ONLY the most important lines in the figure, without any time to do anything else. The temptation is to try to make the gesture look pretty, but that's the opposite of what you must do. Its an exercise I've grown to like over the years, and can be a very helpful warm up.

Hopefully the above is helpful for you along the way!

EDIT: Just so you don't think the above is a platitude of any sort.

Peace.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

6yeh2YRl.png

Comfy colour for a comfy image

B416mxdm.jpg

She looks a little out of place, probably for the difference in the colouring

Next time, better do a sketch of the background first. So much time lost in correcting things and it was too late when I realise how much brown was in the image compared to green. Welp, next time.

Guess what, that fountain if the centre of our wonderland. in the middle of a little park

@Sock

That exercise is obviously helpful and since I'm really boring with poses because I'm too scared to mess the proportions.

I already did a couple of attempts, in the next update I will post them

My goal is git gud in digital drawings but seems like I can't scape from doing a sketch by hand first, also digital sketches needs my entire pc.

Haha! You beat me to posting a bit of your own landscape! I've got a feeling I need to do that at some point, and it's nice to see you take a step toward that. I can see you put some effort in to getting a sense of perspective in there, which is definitely a plus, though the line of your courtyard clips with the benches.

I'm glad you're taking steps to be bolder with your work. I understand the fear of messing something up when you're trying to improve, as I've felt it myself. But it's really necessary to make those mistakes, as drawing and learning and training your hand and eye is how you learn and improve your work. I know I had to make a fair share of poor drawings before I started making stuff I enjoyed looking at.

But I also can't pretend it's not discouraging when you don't like your work. Honestly, gaining a more positive outlook on the stuff you've done and do feels like a skill that needs to be practiced. I know I've made a fair share of drawings that look poor as I practice drawing more from life. The challenge there is to look at your weaker works as steps toward better ones, rather than just throwing them in the mental garbage bin.

I gave your drawing of Roseluck a good look over, and had a fair share of comments about it. Since you seemed pretty serious about improving your artwork, I figured you would want more significant comments on your work. As such, here's some notes I wrote down as I looked at it:

- I like the strong gradient on the most prominent bang, but in the other places it shows up, it kind of seems to be out of place. Like the bit on the back of her head...Also, those two stray bright pink strands.

- ...Also eyes over hair...

- I've been less and less of a proponent of using a dot to denote a small nose. I know why it's used, of course, but it's a nasty cliche that can get one into the habit of completely omitting the nose when constructing faces. It can be tough working with noses in this sort of style, something I've grown to know from experience. Each stray line demands the audience's attention, and a line in the wrong place can make young characters look far older, and other nasty things. Using a shadow instead of, or in combination with, a line definitely helps with this.

- Swirly ear~! Though I kind of find it charming.

- You may want to practice drawing cloth more. I can see you're really trying to give a strong sense of wrinkles here. But they're drawn in a rather random fashion here, and they don't seem to make sense to my eye. Try taking a close look in the mirror at how the wrinkles in your clothing works. Take in how the creases look, you may see a sense of flow in how they wrap around the body. You get a little bit of this in the wrinkles at the lower back end of her shirt.

- Her right arm is HUGE! Like bigger than her shirt sleeve, and also bigger than her left arm. Do you draw arms a lot? It can do you some good to help with your sense of proportion. That said I actually like the hands here.

- The pleated skirt doesn't look pleated, but rather like it has an odd, wavy hemline. Take some time to search up pleated skirts, you'll likely run into fashion tutotials. Even so, they should still be useful to you.

- I dig the ballet shoes + ribbons keep them.

That's my critique. Rather long and unexpected, but if you're serious about improving, it will surely be of use to you. One thing I cannot stress enough is to do more practice drawings: More drawings from life, more drawings from your mind, more drawing period. As well, take more time to drink in your surroundings, break them down in to simpler shapes if necessary. Exercising your visual ability is going to be a HUGE thing needed as you grow artistically. As well, don't be afraid of looking at the work of artists who are far beyond you. It can actually be helpful, once you get over the initial intimidation factor.

It's a lot, but I hope it helps you out. Happy drawing!

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, STeeK, I really like your artwork!

I was just wondering: could you do a drawing of My Tulpa, Cheetah?

He has the body shape of the Pink Panther, but half the height, and with slightly more defined muscles. Rather than being Pink, he has all the colors and patterns of a Cheetah IRL. His tail only reaches down to his knees, rather than dragging on the ground like the Panther's. He has a small forehead, unlike the Panther. He has Five digits on each hand/foot, while the Panther only has 4.

I hope you're OK with drawing Certain Areas Anatomically Correct... (by human standards of course).

He has a dimple on his right cheek when he smiles. His eyes are a natural green with white Sclera, rather than the Panther's Pinpoint pupil/Yellow Sclera. He has slightly pointed ears, and he has Eight whiskers on his snout!

Here's the pose I want for reference. Except the lower hand is on his chest, and his head is looking up toward his upper hand, as if he were singing

pantherfiller11.gif

I took interest in ponies because humans are stupid.

Hey, STeeK, I really like your artwork!

I was just wondering: could you do a drawing of My Tulpa, Cheetah?

He has the body shape of the Pink Panther, but half the height, and with slightly more defined muscles. Rather than being Pink, he has all the colors and patterns of a Cheetah IRL. His tail only reaches down to his knees, rather than dragging on the ground like the Panther's. He has a small forehead, unlike the Panther. He has Five digits on each hand/foot, while the Panther only has 4.

I hope you're OK with drawing Certain Areas Anatomically Correct... (by human standards of course).

He has a dimple on his right cheek when he smiles. His eyes are a natural green with white Sclera, rather than the Panther's Pinpoint pupil/Yellow Sclera. He has slightly pointed ears, and he has Eight whiskers on his snout!

Here's the pose I want for reference. Except the lower hand is on his chest, and his head is looking up toward his upper hand, as if he were singing

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you fully read the first post, requests are closed.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you fully read the first post, requests are closed.

No worries!

...You have to wait until I finish my current work...

Literally right after

>>>REQUESTS ARE CLOSED!!<<<

but Way before

>>>REQUESTS ARE CLOSED FOR NOW!!<<<

Which means that it's only a Temporary hiatus!

I took interest in ponies because humans are stupid.

@Sock

Haha! You beat me to posting a bit of your own landscape! I've got a feeling I need to do that at some point, and it's nice to see you take a step toward that. I can see you put some effort in to getting a sense of perspective in there, which is definitely a plus, though the line of your courtyard clips with the benches.

They're like a child's drawings, but i'm happy about doing it ahhah

I'm glad you're taking steps to be bolder with your work. I understand the fear of messing something up when you're trying to improve, as I've felt it myself. But it's really necessary to make those mistakes, as drawing and learning and training your hand and eye is how you learn and improve your work. I know I had to make a fair share of poor drawings before I started making stuff I enjoyed looking at.

But I also can't pretend it's not discouraging when you don't like your work. Honestly, gaining a more positive outlook on the stuff you've done and do feels like a skill that needs to be practiced. I know I've made a fair share of drawings that look poor as I practice drawing more from life. The challenge there is to look at your weaker works as steps toward better ones, rather than just throwing them in the mental garbage bin.

Yep, it's physically painful to me draw something I know that doesn't look good and more painful it's knowing that I can't improve it, no matter how much time I spend on that, for lack of skills.

I gave your drawing of Roseluck a good look over, and had a fair share of comments about it. Since you seemed pretty serious about improving your artwork, I figured you would want more significant comments on your work. As such, here's some notes I wrote down as I looked at it:

- I like the strong gradient on the most prominent bang, but in the other places it shows up, it kind of seems to be out of place. Like the bit on the back of her head...Also, those two stray bright pink strands.

In my head, the hard gradient change was done to rationalize the nearing ear. But seems like I messed up that detail.

I still like it tho

Also, about those two pink strands... Original desing: pls donnut steel

Not changing them, maybe try another setting in the fall, but nothing more.

- ...Also eyes over hair...

Muh animuh style!

Well, I kind messed it up with the layers and It was too hard to fix without touching other things.

The idea is still good, for real.

- I've been less and less of a proponent of using a dot to denote a small nose. I know why it's used, of course, but it's a nasty cliche that can get one into the habit of completely omitting the nose when constructing faces. It can be tough working with noses in this sort of style, something I've grown to know from experience. Each stray line demands the audience's attention, and a line in the wrong place can make young characters look far older, and other nasty things. Using a shadow instead of, or in combination with, a line definitely helps with this.

The simple line is always a safe option for this style

I will work in improving that detail, but not yet. Like you said, it's a lot more attention-grabbing with a complex nose.

- Swirly ear~! Though I kind of find it charming.

It's in the wrong angle too~

And I'm not changing it in the short run.

- You may want to practice drawing cloth more. I can see you're really trying to give a strong sense of wrinkles here. But they're drawn in a rather random fashion here, and they don't seem to make sense to my eye. Try taking a close look in the mirror at how the wrinkles in your clothing works. Take in how the creases look, you may see a sense of flow in how they wrap around the body. You get a little bit of this in the wrinkles at the lower back end of her shirt.

Yep, it's difficult and needs my attention.

Tricky DDDD:

- Her right arm is HUGE! Like bigger than her shirt sleeve, and also bigger than her left arm. Do you draw arms a lot? It can do you some good to help with your sense of proportion. That said I actually like the hands here.

I actually noted that detail long before I uploaded. I though "Hey, looks awkward as hell but no one is going to notice" Then "Hey, someone is going to notice it, but probably not going to point it out"

Guess I was wrong.

- The pleated skirt doesn't look pleated, but rather like it has an odd, wavy hemline. Take some time to search up pleated skirts, you'll likely run into fashion tutotials. Even so, they should still be useful to you.

I-I was kinda happy with that result

- I dig the ballet shoes + ribbons keep them.

Rose doesn't like those shoes that much hahaha

Too bad for her...

That's my critique. Rather long and unexpected, but if you're serious about improving, it will surely be of use to you. One thing I cannot stress enough is to do more practice drawings: More drawings from life, more drawings from your mind, more drawing period. As well, take more time to drink in your surroundings, break them down in to simpler shapes if necessary. Exercising your visual ability is going to be a HUGE thing needed as you grow artistically. As well, don't be afraid of looking at the work of artists who are far beyond you. It can actually be helpful, once you get over the initial intimidation factor.

It's a lot, but I hope it helps you out. Happy drawing!

Peace

Thanks a lot, It was indeed unexpected and the first moment I see that big reply I get spooked, for rial.

Turns out I wasn't as aggressive as I thought in the first place

I can't thank you enough for taking your time to try to help me

[align=center]

9eVWSg5m.png[/align]

Now, some big news

I decided to ignore my fear of working for someone else for a possible lack of skill, no matter the result. So expect some progress with the request now!

They are still closed until I get myself to complete them all!

Delivering @MechanicalBride

4VxkHEHl.png

I really like how this one turned out

I started working on this one a long time ago but with some problems because I didn't get the result I wanted. Then I got the tablet and everything was so different because I couldn't understand how to work with a new set of tools. So I went on hiatus.

A light delay of 10 months

Nothing serious

gNLDCTBl.png

I like this one, still working on... her expression needs some changes as well, a bit unfitting.

Rose was definitely not pleased with the result

Made with a combination of 4 references for the costume and its details

Now, early sketches!

First three were made with the same structure-guide lines with some little changes

Last one was made with a posture reference

r7KY5orm.png

mJ5rF3Em.png

Mz6LwYOm.png<--- Our favorite so far

KFVTPRam.png

Glad to be of assistance, STeeK! :) It's good to see you back in and still working, and I'm happy I didn't intimidate you too much with that big old wall.

I like this one, still working on... her expression needs some changes as well, a bit unfitting.

Rose was definitely not pleased with the result

Heh, I can understand, she definitely doesn't seem the type to have a blank look on her face.

Keep up the work man! Peace.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace