What should the width be?

Pleeb

Fluid Width Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How should Fluid Width be set in the dark theme?

• Disabled (same as Light Theme)
    • 75%
    • 100%
    • Other percentage (which?)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/13/20 at 12:00 PM

Someone was mentioning that the width of the forums are really, well, wide, on the dark theme, whereas it's not on the light theme.  This is mostly because I had the "fluid width" option enabled on the dark theme and not enabled on the light theme, hence the inconsistency.  I never noticed, since I was on the light theme.

I've attached three screenshots from my ultrawide monitor, one with fluid width disabled (how it is in the Light theme), one with fluid width set to 75%, and one to 100% (how it is now).  Which would the community like?  I'm partial to having it disabled.

Disabled:

1241201329_ScreenShot2020-08-06at12_40_53PM.thumb.png.7fdfb623e1980e8b10da2c74de9b2640.png

75%:

185724322_ScreenShot2020-08-06at12_41_52PM.thumb.png.32c1e5a3866e60db86559020fe725589.png

100%:

725423003_ScreenShot2020-08-06at12_41_15PM.thumb.png.1e7925b7687d7d242e8a898ccdabf649.png

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

I have two monitors, the small one that is a part of my laptop and a large one I use as a second monitor. On my smaller screen, there is no difference between the disabled and fluid settings. On the larger monitor, I notice a change.

Honestly, I'm not bothered by the width of the forums, but it is a bit weird for me to see that white space that isn't normally there. It feels like ads would go there. If they were to, that would be a problem because then the forum would become vertical to make room and I would find that annoying. I'm used to my monitor displaying things as super wide because Discord also stretches and becomes super wide.

The one problem I have with the disabled feature is the buttons on top become smaller and my profile picture is tiny on both this screen and my wider screen. I'm not sure why that happens, but if there's a way to blow up the avatar on light theme then that would be nice.

I'm not going to vote because I don't have a strong opinion, and my minor annoyance with the pfp being tiny isn't enough of a reason to not switch to disabled.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

While the entire-screen width is iffy, you guys would really prefer it take up like half of the available screen space instead? Why? That just means pages are longer and require more scrolling to cover the same amount of space it does now. So much wasted space...

If it goes below 75% I'll probably be upset for a while. Also, does this affect mobile? I have to assume not (/only in desktop mode), because a % scaling on mobile sounds laughable

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

2 hours ago, Luminesce said:

While the entire-screen width is iffy, you guys would really prefer it take up like half of the available screen space instead? Why? That just means pages are longer and require more scrolling to cover the same amount of space it does now. So much wasted space...

If it goes below 75% I'll probably be upset for a while. Also, does this affect mobile? I have to assume not (/only in desktop mode), because a % scaling on mobile sounds laughable

I think it's just that people are used to the redditsique model, which definitely has the site squished in the center.  I think it's more for vertical readability.  For example, with this one I'm moving my eyes across 14 inches for every line, while this one is only about 8.  I used to have a vertical monitor setup similar to this one that would help with that, since reading down a narrow column is easier than reading across. 

I feel 75% could be a good compromise.

As for the mobile, it shouldn't affect it all.  It wouldn't affect it on anything more narrow either, since it isn't pushing it down to 75% (or in the middle) in all cases, but only pushing it down to 75% (or in the middle) if the monitor is wider than a certain amount of pixels.  Something I tend to do right now, when on the dark theme, is just to resize my browser window so it's only half as wide.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

75 percent seems reasonable to me if it doesn't apply for mobile devices.

Edited by reguile

• 1 month later...

Dark mode squished is really weird, at least on mobile. The header and footer are weird, but everything else looks normal.

I was surprised to see the mobile version of light theme is really wide and I love it. Everything looks good, and it utilizes the space it has efficiently.

I want to double check light theme again on PC and compare that to the dark theme.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I regret not pushing more for keeping it as it was

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I also think it looks worse this way. It was brought up that the example posts for the different %s were misleading because Pleeb has a wider monitor. 

Not sure if there's a way to make everyone happy, though, since I do agree that what looks like a good width on smaller screens was too wide on wide screens. 

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Light theme actually looks normal on my main laptop screen and what you would expect on my other wide screen monitor.

Light theme laptop screen:

image.thumb.png.a11d476ec81302c19752c6a6cc2b6d77.png

Light theme wide screen:

image.thumb.png.445b17ae7d50db9eb3a7c7825c4427b1.png

Dark theme is more squished and zoomed in on my main PC screen, but it looks about the same on widescreen, minus the fact the title shrank in size.

Dark theme laptop screen:

image.thumb.png.0db2e333393f328673e20d5d178b9530.png

Dark theme wide screen:

image.thumb.png.bac3d84be68750466452759b15a1ab60.png

3 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

I regret not pushing more for keeping it as it was

Even thought I had a different opinion before, I actually am okay with how light theme looks. At least, it's perfectly fine compared to how dark theme now looks.