Lazy Tulpa Discussion

One of the things that I really like about the Discord's #tulpa-disucssion channel is you don't need to put effort into thinking of what your topic is about and you don't have to worry about going off-topic. Tulpamancy more often than not goes off-topic very easily and I have found more and more tulpa discussion tends to flourish in more general and oftentimes off-topic channels. I then wondered what would happen if we had a thread that was dedicated to any and all tulpa discussion, where the only way one can go off-topic is to talk about something that has nothing to do with tulpas or to change from talking about a point related to tulpas to just focusing on something off-topic.

The obvious problem here is this is against the very purpose of the forums. This thread may kill any threads people would otherwise make the old-fashioned way. Conversations would be at least searchable, but they would be tangled up in some general thread that's hard to sift through, like LOTPW. And I'm not sure if this is any better of an idea than making a second LOTPW, which was a wildly unpopular opinion.

I have mixed feelings about this idea to be honest, but it came to mind and I figure, heck, why not mention it. I like the format of Discord a lot, and I fear that this format is inviting enough to steal away people who would otherwise come here to talk about tulpas.

Then again, maybe there's a flaw in my thinking- how detrimental is lazy discussion to forums anyway? I know people have moved to platforms like Reddit and Discord in favor of forums, but would allowing relaxed posting actually fix the problem? What if people are simply intimidated by forums, possibly because it's a learning curve to use and requires more tech savvy skills to use? What if forums are less appealing because they are slow? There's something about Discord people like better than forums, but threads tool on Discord, slack, and other platforms do in fact get used and are oftentimes a selling point.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I'm undecided on Rosalind or Rosalin, and my male name is Ronan. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

I do not think it's a matter of learning curve or skills, we've had people of all ages and backgrounds here. Let's face it - forums are unpopular with young people and considered old fashioned. They are rigid and slow and do not provide immediate feedback. In the same way as Facebook has become unpopular over TikTok.

But that's how it is, the strong point of forums is collecting and presenting information in an ordered fashion. That's something IRC or Discord cannot provide. There's little point in trying to turn one system into the other.

One frequent issue many forums do encounter is that they start small, then expand into myriads of subsections which receive less and less attention as activity goes down. It's a sort of overdiversification that tends to thin out discussion. Continuously opening new threads for every little personal question is not really ideal.

We simply do not see a lot of on-topic discussion and it may be true that many new threads are too specific for people to tune in. They might receive more attention if they were part of a general thread. I dunno either, we can try it out. Let's be honest, even the vast majority of on-topic discussion is not that noteworthy that it needs to be perfectly searchable in orderly threads. Jumping from one tulpa-related topic to another certainly keeps discussion alive.

But I doubt even such measures will significantly increase activity or even draw people from Discord here.

It might be an experiment to try. Those specific questions tend to pop up and die almost immediately. Getting buried over time. A long running continuous discussion might be interesting to see how it flows.

If this is the appropriate place to start I could posit one: improving headmate PR specifically in media and mental health representation in general, how might one do that? Are traditional venues and mechanisms that other minorities or avant garde ideas have used effective or something different or more specific? What are some awesome examples of doing tulpa/headmate stuff right in stories?

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍

👨‍🍼👩‍🍼 Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

I think the most promising approach would be entertaining tupper stories or comics. If I could draw I would long have done it.

But I strongly advise against going out there and personally exposing yourself. The first rule about tulpamancy is - you do not talk about tulpamancy. At least not outside the community. At best you'll get labeled as a weirdo, at worst as mentally ill with serious consequences for your future career and personal life. It is also cringe af.

I can't come up with a well made tulpa character in a story, Yakumo / Ido are certainly not a good example to follow. But as a song, Neil Diamond - Shilo is about as good as it gets.

we're still new to this forum, but we aren't new to forums in general. you're welcome to disregard this if it seems like wei may be overstepping.

in muir observation, small post of the day type threads can work best for keeping an active forum topic. these are things such as "daily thought" or "what did you do with your tulpa today", or threads with questions which ask the person about their personal experiences in some way. encouraging people to post forum topics is another thing that keeps forums active, and typically people seem to be more likely to do so if there is at least one person also making regular topics. wei don't typically participate in random discussion forums because normally the topic doesn't interest muis.

for PR, in muir experience being out as a system for a few years, it largely depends on how you present yourself. treat plurality as a normal and casual thing, and not as anything special, and people normally respond better to that. the only times wei've faced issues from singlets is when wei go into detail, but in a well-moderated community where you can report anyone who gets too rude or pushes your boundaries it usually goes smoother as opposed to social media. spaces that have more adults are also normally better, but if there are minors around then look for the levels of moderation and that no one is trying to get around it. though then again wei never say wei are tulpamancers, just that wei are a system and normally the most is that wei are a median system. it also helps to actually be active and positive in the community you're in.

wei think also not provoking people in general is a good idea, including those within the community. there are many systems wei see who seem to take pride in making people mad or creating a community increasingly more micro-label heavy just to confuse the gatekeepers, and at that point it's no wonder endogenic systems are so hated and misunderstood. if you can it's a good idea to treat people against you as level headed as possible and it's a balance between being able to tell if someone is willing to listen or if someone is too deep in their own dogma. wei normally keep a list of sources and have several points and counter-points scripted in case we need them so that way wei don't put in too much effort either way, and if wei ever fail a debate on if wei exist or not it's always because the person just results to name-calling or refuses to engage once they realize wei actually have reputable sources.

wei actually write a lot of fiction exploring plural characters, but haven't completed anything or gotten to a point where wei feel confident to post it. the best example wei can think of in something published is traid from legion of superheroes who felt extremely plural coded and is written surprisingly well for the 90s.

I feel like anytime someone makes a post on the forum, it is because they are asking something that they either need specific help with or was something that needed a lot of elaboration to explain. We lose out on a lot of the quieter parts of tulpamancy people may have, because they don't want to make a post for something "trivial." I think a thread like that would be ultimately beneficial, although it would be hard to determine what merits its own thread and what should belong in the chatting thread. 

On 7/30/2022 at 4:36 PM, voidmen said:

in muir observation, small post of the day type threads can work best for keeping an active forum topic. these are things such as "daily thought" or "what did you do with your tulpa today", or threads with questions which ask the person about their personal experiences in some way. encouraging people to post forum topics is another thing that keeps forums active, and typically people seem to be more likely to do so if there is at least one person also making regular topics. wei don't typically participate in random discussion forums because normally the topic doesn't interest muis.

I really like this idea, except maybe make it weekly instead. Something that encourages people to come on every week, have a little discussion with fellow tulpamancers, then moving on to next week's topic. Casual enough for anyone to drop in, but structured enough so everyone is on the same page. It would also keep things separated enough to be easily searchable. It could also be a good resource for varied experiences or thoughts from community members who aren't interested in responding to the typical tulpa problem questions. 

Slipper (cringelord host) and Mordecai (the brain gremlin).

Art Thread

Progress Report