Ringgggg's somewhat-comprehensive foxgirl imposition log

ringgggg

2 hours ago, Autumn Ren said:

It was plastered all over this forum 2018-2019. You just missed it.

Time to go scavenger hunting.

He had to address the underlying conditioning before he could control it

You mean find the root cause of all the trouble and start messing with it? That's smart.

Here I am talking about "finessing" willpower when it's really just more willpower.

In creative writing, one author said this, at the end of every session, stop while it's still fun, then you look forward to having more fun and are not forcing yourself to continue.

I heard this once. It's good advice

In the end it was his train, not hers and he had to learn to stop it.

Bear, if you're reading this, I'm glad you're doing much better.

Sometimes it's about playing the game. There's a lot of potential for resistance that can happen with that, but it can't be all for nothing if you're doing something

It's really the residual message that they leave behind that hits in just the right spots to cause collateral damage. I'm going through shit like everyone else, but I just want to say that we both paint our problems in very similar hues. At the end of the day it is just people trying to justify themselves, and by then you're lucid enough to know that stepping back and getting on their wavelength is probably the best option if you want to see them through

Maybe I'm too optimistic for my own right, but there's always Bear lore I can go and read for a second opinion.

D-prime is shrinking as we speak.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, ringgggg said:

Here I am talking about "finessing" willpower when it's really just more willpower.

All the willpower in the world didn't help him. It was compulsive and reflexive, it would happen before he could choose to resist.

36 minutes ago, ringgggg said:

find the root cause

We used chakra work to compartmentalize and target certain aspects. We posted the series here if you're interested.

51 minutes ago, ringgggg said:

Bear lore

We deleted his account so it might be harder to get. There was a lotvof unnecessary drama.

15 hours ago, Autumn Ren said:

We used chakra work to compartmentalize and target certain aspects. We posted the series here if you're interested.

I'm interested. It sounds a lot like what I'm doing with metacognition and emotional isolation in my free time.

All the willpower in the world didn't help him. It was compulsive and reflexive, it would happen before he could choose to resist.

Figures. Thanks for the reminder.

We deleted his account so it might be harder to get. There was a lotvof unnecessary drama.

Yeah, I was going to ask for a link to that. Is it buried somewhere in Ashley's Lounge?

1 hour ago, ringgggg said:

Is it buried somewhere in Ashley's Lounge?

It's everywhere, but it's all anon now.

1 hour ago, ringgggg said:

I'm interested.

(edited)
10 hours ago, ringgggg said:

Tryna become chronically online on vrchat to build up those touch imposition skills

Today I learned that this was a thing. It's interesting how other communities approach imposing

They call it 'phantom sense', I think. In a nutshell, it's when they get so immersed in VR that their mind prioritizes what they're 'sensing' in their virtual environment over how they're actually supposed to be perceiving sensory experiences in the real world, which then unconsciously convinces them that what they were feeling in vrchat was for realsies. Sounds familiar, if you ask me.

It's probably a lot easier for them to develop touch imposition in an environment that facilitates it so easily. I'm not supposed to be feeling a hand hit my face in a virtual slapfight, but I can still clearly see someone slapping me, and that's what my mind is sold on. Now imagine experiencing the swift, dynamic motion of a slap every time you picked up the headset. That's your brain on vrchat.

The fact they use hypnosis as one of their primary methods makes sense to me. It's admittedly a solid way to build up the skill that preserves the act of overwriting your perceptual set, plus it's mainstream and you can have someone do all the hard work for you. Then again I may have no idea what I'm talking about. I need someone to like come out of the shadows and jam the correct ideas into my brain so I can stop caring as much as I do. Or maybe I just need to do some more digging, who knows.

Maybe it's best to leave these people to their devices (literally). Unless there are others willing to bridge the gap between the aphantasiacs, the phantom sensers, and the tulpamancers, I don't need whatever the average demographic of vrchat is to mob the masses, for what it's worth. I digress, though. That's just the elitist in me talking.

Edited by ringgggg

(edited)

There's a concept I've been seeing more of in imposition that I've never seen explicitly elaborated on in any of the guides. I'm not the first guy to have brought it up, but it is something to maybe take into account when imposing.

23 hours ago, ringgggg said:

Imposition happens both in the visual field and in the mind's eye, but I constantly find myself going back to the mind's eye to have as a reference or even a true representation of my imposition.

I'm casting what I see in my mind into what I can actually perceive. I've been stuck all this time because I was trying to do it the other way round, brute force style

It's something I've been wanting to talk about a lot more, especially after hearing others like yaya and chinaski reporting similar instances in the way they impose.

You think of what you want to impose. Easy. Then you project exactly what you’re thinking about into the real world. Also easy. You had trusted whatever you imposed to follow the exact same rules that your thinking did just then. The mind's eye is visualization in the context of imposition. It has infinite scalability and flexibility, so using it to directly influence the perception of the imposed image is like drawing with a reference, only the drawing and reference have fused together and are overlapping each other.

Unlike the mind's eye however, which can be scaled in your mind to your liking, the visual field - that is, what you're actually seeing with your own two eyes - is inevitably going to be confined to your current skill level of imposition. Most novice imposers are only able to see a faint representation of the mind's eye reflected in the visual field, or, more likely, absolutely nothing at all. And that's okay! They can't actually see what they're imposing, but having the sense that the imposition is there in the first place is more important.

The big trick with imposition is to "see" what's being imposed with the mind's eye. That is, taking whatever crazy thing you conjure up in your mind's representation of the real world and merging it with how you truly perceive the real world. It's basically visualization-aided presence imposition (except the presences are more than presences when you visualize them). Keep in mind that both the visualization and imposition are happening simultaneously, converging and overlapping with each other. You can close your eyes to reference the visualization, but you can also do it with your eyes open, either by looking away or staring at the imposition as if you were daydreaming. I like to alternate between the three, personally. For visualization, you can picture the space around you in your mind or a blank space where only the object itself exists.

However much of the image is seen through our eyes depends on what we think is there, which is why I suggest visualization as a way to fortify that belief. Fundamentally, imposition is merely just a projection of what’s represented in the mind. So if the attention is on the blurry blob of nothingness your physical eyes are seeing, of course you’re going to be discouraged. You were, in fact, imposing a sphere just then. Merely thinking the sphere was there with you made it imposed; visualizing it in that specific position, floating in the middle of your room within your mind made it imposed. It's already there, you simply can't yet rely on your eyes to perceive it for you.

Strong imposition can be cultivated if the focus is kept on the projecting force (the mind's eye) rather than the projection (the visual field). Make the mind's eye the first priority, and in time your poor imposing skills will disappear (given you've dedicated yourself for months). The visual field's clarity will only continue to increase with more practice, until it’s on par with the mind's eye; a clear and identical representation of what you expected to be imposed.

Below is a model I made to better visualize it. The arrows signify what's influencing what

Spoiler

ringggggsimpositionmodel.thumb.png.be3b4e739fba1852be351a3dc179ca73.png

Additionally, I’ve come up with an exercise to determine whether or not I was doing this correctly, like a personal King Of The Vandenreich’s Prism; I implore you to try this one out for yourself, maybe as a warmup to your imposition.

I impose a ball on a string, then swing it around and have it follow the laws of physics. I’ve found that if I pay attention to how I see the ball in my mind's eye it's a lot easier to swing around. Conversely, if I focus on the imposition itself (the visual field), it barely moves at all. The string is a good indicator of if you're imposing correctly. If you find that the ball has become stiff, just course correct and get back to swinging.

The more you swing, the easier it'll become.

Spoiler

a3hair.jpeg.7dfac41e74b26bf0090d481c863205f9.jpeg

Hair update: she wanted the ponytail back for good

I've been thinking about transitioning to digital soon when my job starts paying me. I figure it'll help pay for commissions, too, which will finally help me get all the ideas I have for some out of my head

Hopefully all of this will be the push I need to get me to start drawing more regularly, though I'm not making any promises to anyone.

Edited by ringgggg

(edited)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1c92b5978ad1bf040045763dd580dfa9.png

This is a screenshot of a part of Yaya’s methodology from my notes. The term ‘mind’s eye’ is used by him to describe wonderland improvisation, while I use the same term to describe what he calls the ‘imagination’. He had a hunch they were both the same anyway, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

It’s cool how key elements to a concept are discovered when multiple people start seeing the same thing. 

Edited by ringgggg

Oh, yeah, one more thing to help: describe what you’re imposing to yourself in broad detail. If you impose a sword in your hand, focus on how you’re gripping the hilt, the metallic shine of the blade, the sharpness of the very tip, etc.

Doing this will make it easier to accept, as opposed to just telling yourself, “I’m imposing a sword”.

I just got back from a call with bre and found it worth noting that she didn't focus on visual noise much at all when imposing. Just plain old imagination.

I think, as it turns out, visual noise is merely a resulting factor of how ambiguous and low-contrast the environment is, and not what I had thought before, thinking I could control it to my liking. It's easier to impose in lower light because everything's the same shade of dark. Visual noise just does the same thing that darkness does, in that everything around you has the same kind of static throughout.

Noise is just a by-product of the ambiguity you're experiencing. It doesn't have any crazy magic imposition properties; it's your brain trying to fill in the blanks of what it 'thinks' is there, not you yourself making parts of the environment more staticky than others.

If you want to harness the ambiguity from the visual noise to impose, go for it. Just don't forget that you're only manipulating the imagination instead of the visual noise itself; your "interpretation" of how the visual noise looks to you, and the shapes you're seeing in the noise just by imagining that they're there.

Because I had mistook an involuntary process as something that was in my control, I was thrown for a loop these past few months. I think it's personal preference whether you want to imagine things in visual noise or the space around you, but you'd still be evoking the imagination and lifting those mental weights regardless of what you chose to do.

Do you guys prefer imposer or impositioner?

Pro tip #354:

Don't focus on the imposition itself when imposing, focus on what it looks like in your daydream. Was the fridge you were imposing whizzing across the room? Surely it looked more convincing when you imagined it in your head. That's a trick question, of course it did.

If hallucinations come from perception, mess with your perception. This is easier to do in near pitch-black, obviously, so feel free to close your eyes and start imagining a fridge unironically whizzing across your room.

I've gotten to the point where it feels like the daydreaming and the impositioning are starting to converge into a single thing. I called it something in my recent posts, something along the lines of the drawing and the reference image overlapping with each other. I find it's a lot more intuitive of a process than what I initially assumed it was. Like good acting.

I should make a guide. Actually, no, I'll hold off until I actually have imposition, and then people can fully put their trust in me. I had the same idea when I thought I knew it all back then, and, predictably, I was wrong about a lot of things I never thought I'd be wrong with. So I'll continue being wrong until I eventually find out I'm right, and then I'll shed some of my schizo anthro furry wisdom to anyone crazy enough to believe it.

Spoiler

Oh, wait, I'm already doing that, oops. Just take things with a grain of salt in the meantime, I guess