Chat Thread

I heard that not too long ago on some Japanese EDM channel I follow. It was one of the few non-Touhou songs from them in the last few months that I actually listened to and liked. I listened to it maybe eight times over a couple days. For your information, as far as generic electronic sounding stuff goes, that one's is pretty good. I liked it as much as the vocals, because it actually sounded interesting. That being said, I didn't even know it was related to a franchise, just treated it as a generic EDM song. Didn't even know it was a remix honestly. Really good vocals on a decent electro song.

You're going to have a hard time trying to whistle to electro music. Also I don't know what defines the genre "Electro" I just apply it to music like that. If you want melodies, generally Touhou is your safest bet. I'm used to random songs like that not being necessarily memorable outside of just listening to them. But with Touhou, unless the song is really changed/distorted, you can usually hum or whistle the original melody just fine no matter how it's been changed.

As an example,

(1:00 forward) is basically just one of Tewi's themes the whole way through. Even though the voice annoyed me at first I came to like it a lot over time, and I sure as heck can whistle it, despite it (if I did this right) being your definition of generic electronic stuff. Touhou, man! Thousands and thousands (and thousands) of arranges of hundreds of themes in every genre imaginable. And it only takes 2-3 years to be totally familiar with them all! (Seriously though, you find some themes and some characters you like and you stick with them)

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zone of the Enders is one of Kojima's old franchises, only made it two games in, with a speculated third somewhere on the horizon by the time he got axed from/quit Konami and formed his own company. Fan-fucking-tastic mecha fighting game, just, great. I'd actually recommend watching

thing they did for their mechaweek a while back, they're super into it, and do a pretty good job at expressing the feelings you have for it when your're a fanboy.

Honestly, Lumi, I do have a lot of electronic music in general that's really melodic, or that at least has vocals going on with it. It's not as hard as you'd think to find things to listen to, and whistle to, but yeah, idk, some genres are just full of weird glitchy, disjointed sounds that are only really musical in the sense that they're noise and technically make sense in context with other noise. 

Not totally opposed to the song you linked, I don't think, but it reminds me of an issue I have with so much electronic in general

It's the fact that the drums don't get their fucking due. It's always shit, bare-bones drums, nothing technical, simple, simple, simple. Idk, even really generic metal has more technical drums, and I follow a good few drummers who are certainly not generic, so that doesn't help matters. 

I actually really enjoy it when musicicans of other genres make electronic, because they don't ignore the fucking drums. People who start with electronic are bred to believe that it's not even that important a thing, oh, who cares about drums? It just needs to be constant, consistant, and establish rhythm, past that, who cares?

But no, fuck that.

If you only knew what all this cost - What she gave up, just to save her art

What is fashion, fashion without love? Like an odradek, a spool without purpose

Enny, could you link some awesome drumming? I wanna hear what you mean, yaknow?

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I can list off awesome drummers, awesome drumming is a bit vague, I suppose.

I'll throw together a list, but for now, Matt Halpern. Pretty big in the industry, these days. Drummer for Periphery, helps run a company that releases samples, getgood drums, was the drummer at the Video Game Awards that helped perform the Doom stuff.

Also complimented me on my speaking when I told him "I was well", when he asked how I was, when we met before one of his shows, last year :^]

Anyone planning on picking up Nier: Automata once that's out?

Don't have a ps4, so I'll be waiting for whenever the PC date is (Hopefully not teeerrribly far in the future), but yeah, gameplay stuff has got me interested. Never played the original, although I've heard good things (and, you know, some other things), and I do enjoy the soundtrack, so I'll probably go pick that up in a couple days, or something.

Be nice to play something a bit different than usual, break up the pace, I guess.

I'm the biggest NieR/Drakengard fan you'll ever meet, so I preordered the Black Box edition for a good $200. Also preordered Gravity Rush 2 and Resident Evil 7.

Oh, wow. I'd be interested in getting the $200 edition, if there were one for PC. Didn't wind up getting Nier, though I did watch an LP of it. It looks really interesting in a lot of regards, still love the soundtrack, the storytelling is pretty damn good, VA is good, just, the combat and a couple other mechanics that seem stiff. Also, not too into the side-quests as far as I've seen. World also seems so interesting, but I feel is let down by the graphics (Not that they're not artsy in their own way), and maybe a limited budget.

Although most of that seems to be fixed as fuck in Automata, so that's great. If I had a ps4, I'd probably pick it up day-one, but as it stands, yeah, gonna be waiting.

Gravity Rush 2 looks interesting, although not the kind of game I'd buy, tbh, and I've always, strangely enough, hated the Resident Evil series. I just have yet to play one I feel is interesting, or engaging in any way, and I've played several. Idk.

I hear Drakengard isn't stellar in a lot of regards, would that be true?

Drakengard's gameplay is repetitive and it's getting all of the endings is one hell of a grind, but it's strange as all hell and one of the endings is connected to NieR. I'd recommend watching an LP for Drakengard 1 and 3.