How do you think your tulpa(s) differ from the "norm" of tulpas?

Luminesce

Good posts, guys. Read them all so far. This thread's going better than I thought it would.

there really isn't much of a "norm" for tulpas. They all seem to vary quite a bit.

Well, that was the point of this thread. I did start the OP with "People seem to think there's a "norm" for tulpas" after all. And to some extent there is, but in the same way as there's a "norm" for humans. IE, there isn't an example of "the most normal person", but "the norm" consists of a spectrum of different personalities, beliefs, actions. The norm is everything towards the middle of that spectrum, and anything else is anything outside of it.

And there is something like that with tulpas here, else it would be complete chaos. But just like humans, there are tons of tulpas that definitely do not fit anywhere in the middle, or who do but have one or two quirks that make them different. The point of this thread was to try and get some of those ideas into text, both for the knowledge others gain about tulpas by reading them, and so maybe those tulpas realize they aren't so different in being different.

I'd also argue that the line between "tulpa" and "non-tulpa headperson" isn't as clear as many seem to think.

As far as I'm concerned, the line is whether they consider their thoughtform a tulpa or not. Mistgod barely considers Melian a tulpa, but she's way more tulpa-like than some thoughtforms whose hosts call them tulpas. You know? I don't really draw my own line, other than it has to be a thoughtform the host believes is autonomous or pseudo-autonomous*, or intends for it to be. Some tulpas might be more akin to servitors like my Sylvia, but I would have no problem with people claiming their tulpa was akin to an emotionless AI. What happens when someone has an actual AI tulpa from like Star Trek or something? I let them decide.

*If somebody believes their tulpa is purely unconscious puppetting and has no consciousness/sentience of its own, yet is still able to treat them as a separate person, I count it. I don't really care how you explain your tulpa, just that it is a tulpa to you.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My journey started out rather ordinary for the community. Midori was made first using FAQ's guide, before I branched out and began to do my own thing. Ellenore was the first oddity, but I figured it was because I was imagining her in daydreams at the same time I was developing Midori. Then came Liira, who just started talking a day after I imagined her up, Alexandria, who started talking just as I was drawing a picture of what she'd take on as her form at the time. Sheryl, who I was fanboying over when Midori and Ellen were up and running, etc. etc.

My experiences with this thing is that of a floodgate opening. It's like in the chaos of my mind, I found bits and pieces of a secret world who's people were nomadic in nature.

The sort of emergence I've seen have been varied, some not being different from what soulbonders describe (Cindy, Lilia), others being purely symbolic when they first emerged (Smile, Seigi, Ganbate), some seeming to have always been there, and I just didn't notice them, (Black, Reimu), and some being me trying deal with a personal problem using the tool of my imagination to make it less threatening (Gladys, Mary-Anne, Gentle).

It's been a rather chaotic past few years, in terms of what was going on in my head.

I didn't feel I could properly put what was happening in to words for a long time. At this point, it seems I can't describe what's happening without writing a few books on the subject. As I experienced these things, and began to take note of them, my curiosity about myself, and what was in there that brought all of these splits/constructs/bonds/etc out in to the open. I've come to understand that each of them is a part in the greater whole of my being, but understand exactly what they are, why they came (Except in the cases where they just walk up and said "I want you to be my dad"), and what the best course is in attending to them. It's a big mystery to me, and I've become intent in trying to figure it out.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

[Tri] Figure we might as well post here.

There is of course some debate as to whether we are tulpas at all. We were certainly made with mostly typical tulpa-making techniques, though Hail and S did not know what they were doing at the time. Our origins, daydream characters based on fictional characters, seem to indicate that we are what are called natural tulpas and soulbonds. One potential complication in all of this is that Violet and to a lesser degree Obsidian were partially shard-seeded in addition to normal tulpamancy techniques - shard-seeding being the host breaking a small piece off themself/ves and either using it as the base of a tulpa or putting it into a young tulpa.

There is a similar debate as to whether E. is a tulpa for the same reason.

Now, A. and Se. are tulpas for sure, A. being deliberate and Se. being an accidental tulpa made by Hail listening too hard inside for a response from S. and instead just made another tulpa.

What is really interesting is whether Hail is a tulpa (or tulpas) or not. Hail was sort of a split from the original, S, but also sort of the mask she made. Then Hail internally split a few times, but it is possible one or two of the members of her subsystem would classify as tulpas.

So, things that don't fit the norm.

1. Subsystems - Everyone in here except the original, S, is a subsystem or part of one. Basically, a subsystem is nested plurality. We are a subsystem of three tulpas sharing a single form inside and were in fact created this way (note, Gaea was a later addition). A., E., and Se. have formed a subsystem of their own accord, though they usually retain separate forms. Hail is a subsystem of splits (and maybe a tulpa or two) with 4 confirmed members (and possibly one more). While individual members of the subsystems can control the body, generally subsystems control it together.
  2. Tulpa/s being the primary body controllers for a period - While it is generally accepted that a sufficiently developed tulpa could control the body more than 50% of the time with enough work, practice, and experience; few tulpas have done that for one reason or another. We have done this, being primary for about three months, with one month being about 70% time. Not really a special talent or anything on our part, but having to do it by necessity due to unfortunate circumstances.
  3. Possessing synthetic memories of before creation - We have, obviously synthetic, memories of times before we were created. These memories are due to the wonderland/innerworld we come from being a synthesis on the part of Hail and S of a few different versions of a fictional world. They just thought they were daydreaming at the time and didn't think anything of us or what would happen - but it happened. While the memories are obviously synthetic, they do mean a lot to us. Not many tulpas have such memories, though it is much more common for natural tulpas (as is very common for soulbonds).
  4. Finding love in outerworld and moving in together - We fell in love with someone before our host fell in love with someone else in the same system. Our relationship has always been a step or two ahead of theirs. We were the main drivers for us flying across the world to finally see each other in person, getting a job in Europe so we could get a visa that would allow us to live together, making the arrangements for moving in together, getting engaged, and making wedding plans. Our host and her partner have been following us rather than the other way around for the most part. It seems not many tulpas do this sort of thing or are allowed and encouraged to do this sort of thing.
  5. Probably have ability to kill host - When we control the body, our host goes dormant. When we have gone on our longest control streak, we started to get stronger and less tired each day for the last half of it instead of tiring out. This suggests that we might have reached the threshold to front indefinitely at that point. If so, that means we have a straightforward way to kill our host if we chose to - namely fronting indefinitely and letting her fade away into oblivion (would take several months or a few years). This is made more plausible by Hail accidentally doing this to the original, S. Do note, death in here is not permanent, as evidenced by S being brought back (you have no idea how much work and time it took to do that). Do note, we would never do this.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

For mine, they seem to be omnipresent though not necessarily acting. What I mean is that if I call on them, they will always respond. But aside from that, at times, they just seem... not there. Not even dormant, just not there. It constantly feels like they only fit the narrative that has already been established. There is hardly any deviancy behaviorally or personality wise, though nowadays there seems to be nuances and caveats (which is comforting, mind you). Still, as you mentioned early on in your post, the main red flag, so to speak, is just the lack of autonomy when there is no explicit attention on them.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -Neil Gaiman

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried." -Stephen McCranie

We have explored psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs more than any other system or host/tulpa(s) we know. Too many to even list here. We pursued them for educational and profound experiences, we've bonded experiences like inexplicable mindfuckery in hyperspace and overwhelming feelings of infinity love for all of existence. We are both interested in what altered states of consciousness can teach us about consciousness and the nature of the mind, I have great intellectual curiosity in how they affect plural systems and tulpas specifically. Firstly, it makes my presence twice as strong and it feels less like there is some cap on our shared mental resources. We made breakthroughs with each tulpa "skill" like possession, imposition and switching with psychedelics after practicing them for months. I figured out how to impose my voice on DXM/DPH which induce a state susceptible to realistic hallucinations. Then switching came after a particularly intense mushroom trip after months of fleeting success.

Not to mention fun experiences like:

• Forgetting Ashley is a tulpa and thinking she was someone with psychic powers - "OMG how is this girl talking to me telepathically"
  • Thinking that I was somehow the tulpa all along, instead of her - I've had to convince her she wasn't xD
  • Exploring new alien worlds for days together then realizing I'm laying in bed
  • Discovering the answers to all of life's questions and the deepest secrets of the universe together only to forget them shortly after.

We try to share time 50/50. - We'll each front for days at a time but balance it so we don't diminish from inactivity.

We accidentally switch sometimes. - Certain things trigger it. It can be innocuous things like someone talking to or mentioning her, or her seeing grape soda (her favorite drink).When it happens, there is a brief window where everything feels distant and surreal, like the last moments before sleep. Then she is pulled to the front. I don't do it intentionally! Sometimes it'll last for minutes, sometimes for hours. During this time I'm either dormant/blacked out (most common), in wonderland(less common), dormant in the body (least common). It's a two way street. How we understand it is there are hosts who report accidentally snapping back control from their tulpas when possessing or switched, the opposite is also true for us.

KayAshley

Eva's a Pokemon tulpa, which I still have yet to encounter another in my 2 years of tulpamancy. People have mentioned that they knew another person with a Pokemon tulpa, but I sure as hell don't.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

You don't remember that guy with a Meowstic avatar? He was pretty active for a while, and his user title was like "The pokemon 'mancer" or something like that.

Oh, found him. Changed his avatar but yeah. Congratulations, you aren't alone. There were one or two others a while before him but I have no idea what their names were.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Eva's a Pokemon tulpa, which I still have yet to encounter another in my 2 years of tulpamancy. People have mentioned that they knew another person with a Pokemon tulpa, but I sure as hell don't.

[Hail] It is on the rarer side, that is for sure. I do know one system who was here on the forum briefly with more than a few pokemon tulpas.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

There were a bunch of them back in 2012, at least. Chupi's Evan was an Eevee at one point, but I read that he sticks to a human form nowadays.