Switching And Anxiety

Heyo! My host deals with extreme episodes of anxiety and I do my best to help with that. However when I'm switched and he gets anxious I can feel it and we end up switching back due to this. Is there a way to stop that from happening because sometimes it interferes with my switch time if my host gets too overstimulated. I wonder if it's because the body is used to being stressed so much it automatically kicks in a defense mechanism? Sometimes I'm able to override it but mostly I get kicked out. It's uber annoying

"The sun will rise and we’ll

bid farewell to forever

All our happiness will only be a dream

Oh darling won't you stay with me

Cause all these seasons

aren't the same without you

In the darkest times you’d

always light the way
So darling won’t you stay"

tumblr_27e352a4ac01f38026764d4977a4165a_cdfb6f4b_540.gif.81fbd2c582b2aa8e8b175b934576ba6f.gif

I would say practice! Practice makes perfect (or near enough lol), so practice situations in which they may happen and work out how to make it easier for you to override the 'defense mechanism'. Also work out ways that you can calm your host when he gets anxious together, and/or train his body to not kick you out if he gets anxious.
I hope this helps

Lyceon (host) (they/he/xe/xe/cat/catself/it)

Currently most active tulpa: Ariya (she/her)

I have more tulpas, but I don't want to make a big list lol

Are you switching in during stressful times? If so practice during free time after all the majority of the day's stress is done.

I can't say I ever felt anxious during a switch, this body does get anxious but Bear holds the front hard during those times. So maybe it is related, if the body is anxious all the time it might prevent switching as a defense mechanism. Bear's rarely anxious though, like maybe once per month.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. We might have the same thing.

[Ashley] I help Bear when he's anxious and yeah, switching is last on the mind. Next time he's anxious I'll switch in and test it.

8 hours ago, LyceonCollective said:

I would say practice! Practice makes perfect (or near enough lol), so practice situations in which they may happen and work out how to make it easier for you to override the 'defense mechanism'. Also work out ways that you can calm your host when he gets anxious together, and/or train his body to not kick you out if he gets anxious.
I hope this helps

Thanks! I'll try my best to. Sometimes it's hard to get him to cooperate when it happens but it's something we'll have to do together

bid farewell to forever

Cause all these seasons

always light the way

tumblr_27e352a4ac01f38026764d4977a4165a_cdfb6f4b_540.gif.81fbd2c582b2aa8e8b175b934576ba6f.gif

7 hours ago, Autumn Ren said:

Are you switching in during stressful times? If so practice during free time after all the majority of the day's stress is done.

I can't say I ever felt anxious during a switch, this body does get anxious but Bear holds the front hard during those times. So maybe it is related, if the body is anxious all the time it might prevent switching as a defense mechanism. Bear's rarely anxious though, like maybe once per month.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. We might have the same thing.

[Ashley] I help Bear when he's anxious and yeah, switching is last on the mind. Next time he's anxious I'll switch in and test it.

Most of the time we switch when there is time to do it. However there are times that I'm doing something and their anxiety will spike as they have an anxiety disorder. I figured it wouldn't affect me as much, but it's hard to overpower things of that nature. At least for me because in the past I've never really had this problem to this extent

bid farewell to forever

Cause all these seasons

always light the way