How and why did you choose your tulpa(e)'s name?

Guest Anonymous

Mine is named Brek. I originally wanted to name him something a normal boy would have like David or Daniel. Since those are common names I felt like he might pop up anytime I uttered one of those names.. There was a little boy in a movie I saw named Brek, and that name just spoke to me. It's short and simple, and it suits him.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started out calling her Jessica but i was worried about her associating herself with a real life Jessica so i asked her if we could change it. I was bouncing names off and though of the word Rain, specifically the feeling of purity that comes right after the rain. This was later reinforced when she decided to assume an angelic form, a form I see as pure.

• 1 month later...

I made a Pony OC and she was a pegasus so following the pegasus weather control trope in MLP and because I like the rain I decided to have her cutie mark be a rain cloud. After hours poring over a logic tree, I decided Rain Cloud would be her name.

Conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency

I'm a conscious dreamer

Therefore I can be treasurer to my own currency

I can be the mind controller

I originally had two name choices for her, Elise and Naomi, but when looking for forcing music, we came along a song called "Rhiannon". She loved the name and the song, but she also loved the other names. And from then on, Her entire name was "Rhiannon Naomi Elise". Her sister's name, Rare....I'm not sure about that one.

I've got so many tuppers it's like a used car lot in my head.

My attorney has a full, three-part name. Because it would be extremely easy to tell who I am in real life based on her names, I'm not going to reveal any of them, but I will give the reasons for them.

Her initial name was going to be one of my favorite names I've encountered (though I can say the same about her current name). The problem was that it is also the name of the main character in a certain manga, but there was too much already associated with that name in my head and I couldn't separate the two ideas.

So, I chose a beautiful name from a lemon I read maybe ten years ago. I think it's a nickname of a German name from a character from a different videogame than the one the lemon was about. Most of the prior associations I had with the name were gone, so it worked out well and she has definitely taken it as her own name.

Her middle name isn't set yet, but the options are the name of a character with an ancient Greek name, a favorite composer of mine, her initial first name or Aletheia. The character was simply ridiculously well-done, showed up suddenly and became the final boss in the manga it was in. I didn't know it was possible to care that much/be that invested in a character that appeared out of nowhere in such a long-running series. The composer is a badass, with a badass name. Aletheia is a concept I found out about through the musician SoGreatandPowerful (In History, Maybe) that essentially translates to/means/is about "the disclosed truth." This is separate from the idea of actual truth. It's kind of like the idea from Shiniez' Sunstone work that we all have our own masks we make, but the point is that we make them, that they are of us (and that we're all human under them). The concept returned/became defined during postmodernism, and I'm working on internalizing exactly what it means now, and to me. It is also the name of my wonderland as a whole and 2 areas of my wonderland.

Her last name is the name of a house which meant a lot to me that was on my college campus.

Normally when I create/choose a name, I pick one with a lot of weight and symbolism. I'll do a quick etymology search and hunt down how far back the name goes, what the components mean and important people in history who have had the name. For example, here's what I would do for the name "Herman." So, it's got German elements, but is Dutch and English. It basically means "army man." Though, it can also be read as "her man," which is also important, even if it is not inherent. The name isn't very popular. It was the name of a saint, a Munster, and of the writer of Moby-Dick. It sounds kind of bleh. Looks like it came about sometime around 1100, died off in the Middle Ages, and then came back.

*EDIT: Yogurt-cannon? Seriously? Hilarious. But, seriously?

“Just sick enough to be totally confident”

-H.S.T.

"Same thing; a soul's made of stories, not actions."

Progress Report

Lemon?

Yeah, the word probably isn't used anymore. I think it referred to yuri fanfiction (specifically shoujou-ai) before there were places like fanfiction.net and stuff. Or right around their founding. Ah, explicit yuri fanfiction. That was way back before all the yuri/yaoi tropes came to America and it was just poorly written stories. Good times. Warm fuzzies everywhere.

Actually, I think "lemon" was just a term for explicit fanfiction. I can't remember.

I found the old site! Here's a quote:

"Lemon (contains adult situations)"

“Just sick enough to be totally confident”

-H.S.T.

"Same thing; a soul's made of stories, not actions."

Progress Report

One day (after forcing), I asked my tulpa if she was okay with the name of what her form is based on (Rainbow Dash). She then suggested 'Luna'. After asking her if she was sure, 'Luna' it was from then on.

Name: Luna (Used to be "Dashie")

Birthday: Jan 29, 2013

Form: Rainbow Dash

Stage: Imposition/Visualization/Voice