Beginner Questions General

It is also possible that the story you read is someone asking for help with something that may be a tulpa but that they did not intentionally create. An intentionally created tulpa should never do that unless the host wanted. Take it from a spooky guy with spooky headmates.

"My lover's got humour,

She's the giggle at a funeral,

Knows everybody's disapproval,

I should've worshipped her sooner."

Host to Samuel, RavenIvy, and Olivia.

CERCA TROVA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, hello, beginner here! I'm very interested in the concept of tulpas, and I'd very much like to make one. However, I just read a disconcerting personal experience/horror story about a tulpa, and I feel discouraged upon reading it...the tulpa didn't hurt the person in the story but more like haunted them, followed them around, and generally freaked the host out. My tulpa won't do stuff like that, right?

Everyone's experiences here are different, so even if that did happen to someone else (and it's not just some silly story concocted for entertainment or to discourage others), it's possible that it won't happen to you. From what I've read over the years, this only really happens when the host expects the tulpa to go bad or for something bad to happen in general.

I'm so glad people answered my question concerning my fears about tulpas. If my anxieties, insecurities, and negativity ultimately affect the creation of my tulpa, I suppose I have a very long way to go. Here's my other question, though: If I happen to succeed in creating a tulpa, would they be upset if I do not reveal their existence to family and friends? I'm scared of the reactions that'll surface. I don't want people to think I'm crazy or need any mental help. I know people shun things they don't understand, but nevertheless, I don't want to go through such painful interactions. 

I've already had a bad experience with one of my online friends, when I said I was thinking about making a tulpa. She referred to the community as a bunch of "freaks" and that didn't comfort me at all.

L: I'm sure it differs from tulpa to tulpa, but personally I always tend to discourage my host from revealing our existence to other people. I don't feel like they need to know, and knowing the negative reactions people are bound to have, I think it's much safer this way. But again, it's different for everyone. Desmond, for example, would love to chat with everyone around but he's not exactly upset that he can't do so.

I only ever told one online friend, and he seemed to take it well at first but afterwards began diagnosing me with god knows what and insulting me and generally just treating me like an idiot. So I can't recommend it unless you already know what their reaction is most likely to be :P

CM - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system

Desmond - 21st April 2014

L - 5th May 2014

Nevira - 14th December 2014

Misa - 5th December 2015

Roska - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - 13th July 2020

Progress report  Art thread  Our lounge thread

There are two primary factors here. The first is your audience. If your audience is into spiritualism, has a reputation for open mindedness, or is just really nice, they are probably safe to tell. If you are a good judge of people, this helps.

The second is how it is spinned. You can do a soft reveal. Say that you have developped another voice in your head through meditation. This is not the full story. It is easier for most to accept. If you are a spin doctor, you can manipulate a person's first impression with even more nuance.

A tulpa will recognise how risky this all is.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Or you can just do it like I do and whenever someone asks who I'm talking to when there's clearly nobody there.

"Oh, just talking to the voice in my head."

While not fully correct in my case, I've said that for comedic effect for years since I do tend to talk to myself quite a lot.

When you serve it up so blatantly, even if you provide names and additional information, strangers and acquaintances will just go "Oh".

Friends, if they really are your friends, will trust you to not have gone completely over the deep end and there is some sane explanation for what it is that you are doing. Whether they ask for one is up to them, and what you say in response is up to you.

Doc: Childhood friend turned servitor gone rogue turned host who's bad at feeling emotions.

Meti: Overly lewd Tupper.

CT, who is also called Jeremy: Original personality whose default emotion is anger.

You can also soft introduce it as this "weird thing" you found on reddit that you find "Interesting" to see what they think of it. I've gotten responses from crazy to interesting.

"My lover's got humour,

She's the giggle at a funeral,

Knows everybody's disapproval,

I should've worshipped her sooner."

Host to Samuel, RavenIvy, and Olivia.

CERCA TROVA

Or you can just do it like I do and whenever someone asks who I'm talking to when there's clearly nobody there.

"Oh, just talking to the voice in my head."

I do this quite alot if I'm caught forcing in the middle of class or something like that. If they ask why I usually respond "it's the only intelligent conversation here." People don't like that joke.

Generally I show people the tulpa.info homepage thing-a-mabob and see what they think. I always present it as a "oh so I found this cool psychology thing" pretending to only know what anyone would by first reading the homepage and not exploring the forums thoroughly. When they're finished I usually say something like "pretty cool, huh?" and then their response varies. That response will tell you whether or not to tell them. Heck, when I did this with the first two people I decided to tell they both wanted to make tulpas. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I should be worried that I may have just changed the rest of their lives. But, when they said they wanted to make them I was like "So I have this Victorian-era loli living in my head..." and all went well.

Then I also have the person who thinks I'm actively trying to drive myself crazy. I keep having to reassure him that only crazy people hear voices in their head and think they're normal.

Edit: As for how your tulpa feels about talking to others, it varies (you're going to hear that alot). As a general rule though it'd be absurd to think they'd only want to talk to you, ever. Unless they turned out to be incredibly anti-social or you forced them to be that way. Worse comes to worse though, the IRC is available for them to socially interact.

The System:

It's too big.

ha, that's what she said.

Although I am not that relatively new to tulpamancy (3 days :P) I have a question that I need help with:

Mostly whenever i talk to my tulpa (passive and active forcing) i get this immense feeling to yawn and also I sometimes get watery eyes, Is this normal? Or is this extraordinary?

Normal. It has nothing to do with a tulpa.

See, the brain has a natural physiological response to react to increased workloads with yawning to improve bloodflow in the brain.

Watery eyes are, like a runny nose, an automatic response to strong stimuli, like bright light, cold weather, or sudden increases in brain activity.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

• Pleeb pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic