Antidepressants/Antipsychotics & My Tulpa

Renesmee

Hello. I'm currently on four antidepressants, an antipsychotic, and an anticonvulsant for depression and anxiety. I don't believe I need them anymore. I've recently begun my tulpamancy journey and I'm worried that my meds will hinder my progress. Would you advise reducing or stopping my meds altogether?

Renesmee is the host and (as of Jan 22 2021) the only fronter.

Rosalie ("Rose", possibly a placeholder name) is the tulpa, currently pre-vocal, and in the forcing stages.

rosaliesketch.thumb.jpg.579a64ac9b948a3dfc6aec9e554e7eb2.jpg (Sketch of Rosalie) I'm not quite sure about the eye color; I visualize her with green eyes. But she has blue ones here.

For those of you who know a good amount about the Twilight saga, yes, my username comes from the books.

However, I didn't intentionally give a Twilight name to my tulpa- I was thinking of names that I thought would fit her, and Rosalie kept coming into my mind.

It suits her, I think, although her personality is in stark contrast to that of the Twilight character.

If, once vocal, she'd like to change it, she can, of course do so.

September13

Talk to your doctor first. It could be very dangerous to quit taking all those medicines at once.

Also known as GypsyRoad or Phil Present. Call me what you want, I'm not picky.

Simmie is my lovely tulpa, she's quite young still but is eager to meet and chat with new people so don't hesitate to say hi!

Antidepressants shouldn't affect tulpas, at least not in my experience. I've gone through several different types. Antipsychotics might have an effect on how well you can communicate with a tulpa, but for me that was only while I was adjusting to the new medication. Currently my antipsychotics have no effect on my tulpas. 

So I'd say keep them for now and see how things go. If you plan to stop them anyway, talk to your doctor about it and do it gradually. But try not to worry about tulpamancy progress. Everyone's experience is so different and others naturally take more time to develop a tulpa, so the meds still might have nothing to do with it if it takes you a while 🙂

CM - She/them - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Progress report  Art thread  Our lounge thread

Renesmee

Thank you @CMand @September13!

Rosalie ("Rose", possibly a placeholder name) is the tulpa, currently pre-vocal, and in the forcing stages.

rosaliesketch.thumb.jpg.579a64ac9b948a3dfc6aec9e554e7eb2.jpg (Sketch of Rosalie) I'm not quite sure about the eye color; I visualize her with green eyes. But she has blue ones here.

For those of you who know a good amount about the Twilight saga, yes, my username comes from the books.

However, I didn't intentionally give a Twilight name to my tulpa- I was thinking of names that I thought would fit her, and Rosalie kept coming into my mind.

It suits her, I think, although her personality is in stark contrast to that of the Twilight character.

Miichu

Do I really to have to be that person that says ''antipsychotics made one of our tulpas vanish from existence''? Maybe it was that said tulpa was too weak, since I didn't even flinch and I am a tulpa too, but it could also be a combination of that and our antipsychotics being a very high dosage. It could affect you or maybe not, depends I guess.

But if I were you, I would prioritize medication above my newly found tulpa journey, or just wait until your doctor takes off said meds to start with it.

Hello, I'm Miichu, and I'm the main fronter of this system.

The others are Miri, who's the original host and co-fronts with me.

Progress Report and my Art Thread

Waka Waka x3

solarchariot
(edited)

I work in mental health. You should definitely not quit taking your meds without discussing it with your doctor. Four antidepressants sound like a lot. There is an assumption that if you were given medicine, there were symptoms that suggested you would benefit from medication. Are there alternatives to medication for mental health? Yeah, but that again is a conversation to be held with a doctor, because mental health issues run a continuum to manageable to not manageable.

There is no evidence for or against medication affecting tulpas. Allow me to offer you this. Tulpa creation works best when the host has clarity. One can argue that someone suffering from severe depression and or psychosis is probably low on clarity. Again, it depends on the degree of psychosis. Tulpas, by definition, are not a form of psychosis. There is no anti-psychotic that will make you as a person go away, and therefore, my position is they won't make tulpas go away. Meds are not supposed to change a person- they're supposed to help a person have a normal range of emotions, which means some good, some bad, and a lot of neutral- and improvement in recognizing thought disturbances. Some folks still hallucinate even with antipsychotics. 

Psychotropics are better today than they were in the past, and they will get better in time.  Depending on your diagnosis, you may or may not have to take meds indefinitely. Bipolar, for example, as we understand it right now, that tends to be a life long medicinal regimen. Schizophrenia can go into remission... they don't know why or for how long, but it happens. MDD tends to be  the one that has the best results of being a temporary thing- but if you come off and illness returns, it might mean some long term medicinal requirements. The brain is plastic. It will adapt, and learn. So, can a person learn to beat something like depression with just counseling? Yes. One can feel better with meds, but not do any counseling and not necessarily get better. Ideally, meds and counseling result in the best results. So, let's say meds help you feel better, you take on some serious counseling and learn new skills, you're essential building brain scaffolding that will allow you to hold and maintain your emotional state when you come off the meds. If you do nothing to change your brain, you're likely to return to the place you were before the pharmaceutical assist.  Well, guess what- making tulpas changes the brain! It's a mental exercise, a meditation practice, and a way of experiencing thoughts from two very distinct perspectives. If that's not neural scaffolding, I don't know what is. 

So in short, meds will not stop you from thinking or having wants and desires. It will not stop you from making a tulpa, because tulpas are not hallucinations. (The fact you can perceive them as you might an hallucination, doesn't mean they are that.) September 13 said it right, stopping your meds could be dangerous. Never stop anything cold turkey. That could kill you. If your doctor agrees, or the next doctor you find if you don't like this one's opinion agrees, they can taper you off and help you get to a place where you and your family can decide together if it's okay. All in all, you have the right not to be medicated... (If you're an adult, you have the right not to be medicated. Parents can over rule the rights of minors...) The fact that you're here and asking good questions suggests to me, you're doing okay. You're thinking, you're reaching out to others, isn't that okay?

Edited by solarchariot
Renesmee

Thank you, @Miichuand @solarchariot