Simple visualization exercise

yesman

Question

Basically this is nothing revolutionary and surely has been suggested many times before, but maybe some have missed it.

The instructions below are merely an example and almost anything can be changed to suit your needs.

1. Sit down at a desk with a small object in your hands, for example a pen.

2. Close your eyes.

3. Start manipulating the object. Rotate it, touch it, feel it.

4. As you do so mirror your movements in your imagination. If you rest your thumb on the pen's top button, visualize it doing the same thing in your mind. It's important that both of these movements happen at the same time.

5. Remember to stay in control of your hands in your imagination. Try to pretend that it's them that you move first while your hands in reality follow.

6. Focus and relax.

This is just one way to do it, but the important thing is that you keep your eyes closed and only peek occasionally when needed. And of course remember that you are trying to visualize your hands and the object to the best of your ability, not just sitting with your eyes closed.

You could also try this technique with something that you can't physically hold in your hands. For example by standing in front of a wall. This time it would require you to imagine your entire body mimicking your movements in reality.

I believe that the biggest benefit from doing this exercise is that it simply gives your imagination something to build on. A lot of people can relate that it's difficult to visualize something from nothing. This method might help by giving your imagination some basic sensations to build on.

I hope it makes sense.

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Aw, this guide was missed

Since this is an exercise, I put it under Tips & Tricks for Visualization

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread