Can't see a dang thing?

The following should apply to both open- and closed-eye visualization. I do some of both but prefer closed-eye because there's less going on in my visual field to distract me. Note that I do still often struggle to get things going, but the stuff in this guide generally does work and at least get me something. It might not be really vivid, but it's way better than darkness. Also, this guide is a bit TL;DR, sorry.

To clarify, this is about "seeing" things in your mind's eye / imagination. You will not actually see things visually until imposition. However, you should get something that feels a bit like seeing. Best I can really describe it is like it's on a separate plane from your real vision. It's like what you "see" when you recall a really vivid memory -- you imagine it in full color, and with good detail, but your real vision always overrides it, especially if anything is there to distract you. This is why closed-eye/blindfold/perfectly dark room so often work well, and why it helps to get rid of visual blobs and noise as much as possible. When you impose, you're allowing this same imagined picture to override parts of your real vision.

First off, the biggest problem I see is people trying to make stuff appear on the backs of their eyelids. If you're doing this, don't. Focus instead on your mind's eye, where you imagine things, like when you think visually, read vivid descriptions, etc. Learning to shift your focus from your vision to your mind's eye can be difficult, and certainly was for me.

The very first thing to try is relax. Being a little to a lot relaxed often makes it easier to see yourself somewhere. Thinking about being somewhere happy -- not necessarily seeing anything -- may help you relax as well. Try listening to soft music, hard rock, binaural beats, Fede tones, whatever helps you. If you can, get to a trance state, but that's something for another guide. Just let yourself space out. ...Or don't relax. Sometimes you might just randomly get amazing visualization in a full-waking session.

If closed-eye doesn't work, try open-eye, which is about the same as daydreaming. Something in between is to have your eyes open but wear a blindfold or sit in a room with zero light.

Do you get any activity on the backs of your eyelids, like excessive noise and "plasma blobs"? I find these are quite distracting and make it way harder to focus on my mind's eye vision instead of the blobs. Usually relaxing my eyes and not squinching them shut helps with this, as the muscles around the eyes press them when contracted, causing the blobs. If you can't live with the blobs and can't get rid of them, play with different ambient light levels in the room. Pitch black is not always best. Medium-dim indirect light can produce a flat orange across your whole field of vision, with very little discernible noise or blobs.

What is it like when you try to imagine something, either open or closed eye? Can you at least get a sense of what is where in your imagination, but just can't "see" it? If so, you might just need something to draw your attention to your mind's eye. If you don't even get an idea of what's where or how it's supposed to look, pay extra attention to describing what you want to see with words.

Imagine something vividly colorful, with lots of color, and that moves at least some. Lots of contrast is good too. Places you're really familiar with can work well too. I'll sometimes use my childhood home, or a beach with really vibrant, exaggerated colors. Try to describe what you want to imagine with words, and include as many senses as possible, especially smell and sound. Try to imagine how light and shadow work, and try moving the light source around to see it change. If you're imagining an indoor place, imagine turning on the lights. If you're outdoors, be sure to include the sun or a full moon. Also consider imagining a small flashlight in your hand. You can use this to illuminate an object you're examining from any angle, and move the light and shadow around it freely. (See below for a detailed example.)

Occasionally I've had success with imagining all black, then all bright white, alternating back and forth -- a strobe of sorts. The idea is it's sudden changes and about as much contrast as you can have. Still, realistic scenes typically work best because they involve more senses.

Once you catch a glimpse of something, you need to hold onto it. If what you're seeing is interesting enough to you, this may be easy. If what you see vanishes instantly, it may be because of a thought like "cool, I'm seeing something!", which makes you snap your focus back to your eyelids to see it. Instead, try to remain spaced out when something comes. Do not focus on seeing things; focus on the things you're trying to see. When you start to see them, don't do anything different or think anything in particular of it. Just keep focusing on what you're visualizing and continue normally.

If you see something for a while, and then it fades more slowly, leaving you staring at your eyelids again, you've lost focus or drifted out of whatever favorable (relaxed, zoned out) state you were in. Speaking aloud can do this, as can excess movement, at least for me. As for focus, that's another thing that takes practice, although I've heard good things about bananas and an energy drink called Neuro Sonic. If you absolutely cannot focus, imagine a place where there are plenty of different objects, and let your attention dart from one to another. You're still focusing on things in the same mental location you're trying to see, so it should work.

Example way to handle a beach scene. If you don't like beaches, substitute any place that you feel really happy in. This may or may not be your wonderland, though that should be a happy place as well. Merely reading this example may well make you see something.

(Change the order to put whatever sense comes most easily to you first.)

Don't concentrate too hard on making something appear, or it won't. Narrate these details to yourself, or later your tulpa, as you attempt to imagine them. Even if you don't see anything, continue. At some point, you will probably catch a glimpse of something. If something does appear, don't focus on it or go "wow, I'm getting something", or it will vanish as you immediately snap your focus back to your eyelids.

• Sight: Start with the sky, which is clear and a deep azure that is deepest straight above and lighter toward the horizon. The sun is about halfway down the sky, on your right. Let your focus drift downward from the sky and see the ocean water, slightly rippling and with small waves. Now see the rich, warm golden sand, closer to brown where the water has touched it, stretching from the water's edge up to where you stand. See the dips in the dry sand where people have walked. Notice how some random grains of sand glimmer in the sunlight. Point your finger at the sun, and make it follow where you point. See the effect on lighting and shadows, including on each dip in the sand. Also look down and see your own body; this helps place you in the scene and establish that you're there, and not just a floating view.
  • Smell: That unique salty smell you get at a beach... Or that stinkier low-tide smell if you like smelling icky things.
  • Sound: Hear each wave as it wooshes in, crashes and then recedes. If there's much breeze, hear how it sounds blowing into or past your ears. Add some seagull or other water bird noises if you like.
  • Touch: Feel the soft sand under your feet and feel how it shifts as you walk, your feet sinking into it slightly. Reach down and pick up some sand. Feel how it's warm from the sun, feels gritty and has the occasional really small pebble in it. Feel it flow out of your hand between your fingers, leaving a slight coating of sand stuck to your skin. Brush it off, feeling how it rubs on your skin a little. Walk down to the water, feeling how the wet sand is cool and hard under your feet. Walk slightly into the water and feel how the cool water flows by. Pay attention to how the water washes away the sand directly under your feet as a wave recedes. Reach down and scoop up some soggy sand. Notice how gloppy it feels for the moment before enough water runs out of it that you're left with a wet crumbly lump. Try to shape the lump a little, then drop it and feel how it's left your hand damp, with small amounts of wet sand sticking to it.
  • Temperature: Imagine that there's not much wind blowing. Feel the warmth of the sunlight on your skin wherever it hits you. Now a cool sea breeze picks up, coming in from the ocean. Feel it on your body, especially on bare skin. It reduced but doesn't eliminate the warming effect of the sun. If you're wearing loose clothes, see and feel how they flap about in the breeze.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally have no problems visualizing, but sometimes when my thoughts drift and object, myself, or the tulpa will start spinning in the same place. The only 2 solutions I have been able to find are: 1) holding my breath, and focusing on stopping the object, or 2) fappin, then stopping said object/subjecy. Does this happen to anyone else?

Oh god, the spinning objects. This used to happen to me whenever I tried to visualize anything, provided I could get anything at all to appear. Fortunately it now happens less often. Trying to grab the object never works. The movement of my eyes seems to contribute to making the thing spin faster, and as it spins, my eyes try to follow it, making it spin faster still, until it becomes a blur and than fades from existence.

One solution is to stare at one point, even if the object is still spinning. Moving your eyes the other way a bit may help slow it some.

Another fix I've heard of but not tried yet is to imagine the object to be in a viscous fluid that makes its movement slow pretty rapidly.

Or look down at the base of the object, where it meets whatever it's sitting on. This surface can be used to anchor it down and make the spinning stop.

(It used to be that nothing I did worked, apart from letting it spin out, then create a new one and hope this one doesn't start spinning. Now I can usually slow and stop the spinning.)

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

First off, the biggest problem I see is people trying to make stuff appear on the backs of their eyelids. If you're doing this, don't. Focus instead on your mind's eye, where you imagine things, like when you think visually, read vivid descriptions, etc. Learning to shift your focus from your vision to your mind's eye can be difficult, and certainly was for me.

So you have to see through your mind's eye, or your imagination? Just being sure here, this means you are able to visually see it if done successfully?

Guest Albatross_

So you have to see through your mind's eye, or your imagination? Just being sure here, this means you are able to visually see it if done successfully?

Mind's eye and imagination are the same thing in this case.

Visually see it, as in, with your eyes open? No. Visually see it, as in on the back of your eyelids? No. This guide is for visualization in the mind's eye.

Also, awesome guide Chupi. Well-written and concise. Hopefully this clears up some questions for people.

To clarify, this is about "seeing" things in your mind's eye / imagination. You will not actually see things visually until imposition.

Wait...so I have been doing it right.

Everything makes sense to me now.

Thanks for the guide Chupi.

But will it blend?

Lurker.

A fellow zerg.

Wheeeeeeee!

ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH!

KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH! ZERG RUSH!

KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Dem Hydralisks man...

Back on topic, I think I get what Chupi is talking about a bit more. So, visualizing is to use your imagination, and to visually see it, it has to be imposed?

I don't know how my visualization skills are then actually! I am able to picture something in my mind, but I never got to imagine hearing, feeling, or smelling something etc. I should give this guide a try.

Also, I LOVE Neuro Sonic!

Once again, thanks Chupi!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JD1215
      JD’s Guide to Visualization
      Many people come into tulpamancy with different levels of visualization. It’s common for more artistic and imaginative people, as well as those with the tendency to daydream, to be able to visualize very well. However, some people find that they are very bad at visualizing, or even unable to visualize at all. The goal of this guide is to figure out your skill level of visualization, and to show you how to advance from there.

If you are experiencing this level of visualization, the most likely problem is that you are expecting to see your tulpa with your eyes, or see her image on the back of your eyelids. However, this is not the case. Visualization takes place in the mind's eye, that is in an area separate from the stream of data from the eyes to the brain. You'll want to focus on adjusting your attention away from your physical eyes, and instead to your mind's eye. You naturally use your mind’s eye all the time, especially for keeping your surrounding environment in mind. For example, observe this setup of cubes.

When counting how many cubes there are in this arrangement, you will probably not only count the cubes you can see with your physical eyes, but also the hidden cubes you can see with your mind’s eye (which in this case acts as a sort of mental x-ray vision). There are 19 visible cubes, and 12 hidden cubes.

At this level of visualization, you are looking through your mind's eye, but you've yet to achieve any sort of definition or significant color in your attempts to visualize. Getting beyond this stage is mainly sheer practice. One visualization exercise you could try is my very slight modification of Rasznir’s number visualization guide. This exercise involves visualizing a canvas in your mind, and asking your tulpa to draw numbers on each page of the canvas, starting from zero and going up to 100 with each step. Try to maintain visualizing your tulpa writing each number in detail, without losing focus. If you lose focus, start again from zero. I suggest that your tulpa writes these numbers in different colors as well, and that you try to name the color your tulpa used. If correct, move on to the next number. If wrong, start over. The point is for your tulpa to test how accurately you are visualizing color.

At this stage, you've got a foothold but your visualizations are still hazy like a dream you don't really remember well. To get beyond this stage of visualization, you'll want to focus on several different things. For one, you need to start practicing including smaller details in your visualization. Start by scanning your tulpa from head to toe, sequentially zooming closer on smaller areas as if your tulpa was being viewed in Google Maps. Additionally, you'll want to increase your ability to know the exact pose and form of your tulpa. Fuzziness can indicate uncertainty in your visualization, and turning the mind's uncertainties into concrete notions will help decrease the fuzziness as time goes on. To practice this ability, try playing a shape-based puzzle game such as Tetris for an hour or more every day. Eventually your mind will become good at knowing the exact shape of the puzzlefield, which in turn can be applied to your tulpa, reducing fuzziness.

At this stage you are competent enough to impose if you’d like, but to really make your tulpa realistic you will need to learn to refine your visualization abilities. One exercise you can try for getting beyond this stage is by going on Google Maps. Start at any location in satellite view, but zoomed out to a point where you can’t actually discern any individual buildings. Spend some time remembering the details of this overhead view. Once you can visualize it in your head well, zoom in a little bit and start to observe the smaller parts that you could not see before. Scan over the area and visualize these as well. Once you can do that, zoom in another iteration and repeat. Go as far as you like remembering details. The goal is to see if you can mentally reconstruct the map in your mind and zoom in and out at will. This exercise can seem a little daunting, so start with small areas and try only zooming in once or twice. After getting good at this, your mind should be capable of visualizing small details in the bigger picture. Additionally you must spend time going over your tulpa’s form and becoming familiar with the smaller details, just as you have done with the maps.

This is a problem that isn’t as common, where you can see the details of your tulpa, but trying to look at the full form is difficult, often appearing as a collage of details rather than a unified body. The simplest way to work around this problem is to visualize your tulpa from various distances. Visualize your tulpa very far away from you, to the point where she looks like a whole body rather than fragmented details. Ask her to walk towards you until you begin to struggle to see her wholly again. At that point, you’ll have found your threshold for full-body visualization. To stretch this threshold, you’ll simply have to spend some time visualizing your tulpa up-and-down at that distance until the collage effect starts to decrease. Sheer practice is the easiest way I’ve found of mitigating this problem.

You’re nearly a visualization pro, the last step is tearing down the mind barrier that gives your visualizations an uncanny dark or transparent quality. Growing past this stage will have you fully prepared for imposition. While simple visualization practice over time will resolve this problem, it can also be solved through meditation and some general realizations about how you see things. Your physical eyes send visual data to your brain, and your brain makes an image out of it. In essence, you see everything with your brain, not necessarily your eyes. Your visualizations are similar, in that they are interpreted by your brain. You must convince yourself that there is literally no difference between what you can see with your eyes, and what you can visualize, as the end result is entirely constructed in your brain. Your mental image of the world is entirely subject to your conscious will. Every physical object you can see is constructed in your mind only because your eyes react to photons emitted by those objects, and your brain decides to translate that to colors and forms. Every mental object is the same way, but the process is not subject to the laws of the universe. Your brain can translate your imagination into colors and forms in the exact same way. If you can meditate on this train of thought for a while, perhaps you too will believe how subjective reality is. And once you’ve done that, your visualizations will reach the vivid level of quality we’ve been aiming for.

Congratulations. You can visualize awesomely, and you are fully prepared to try imposition. If you’ve not already done it, try visualizing with your eyes open and compare the quality to your visualizations with your eyes closed. The exercises for open eye visualization are exactly the same as closed eye visualization.

If you are able to achieve certain qualities of visualization, but often find that these qualities only exist for brief moments or flashes and regressing to lower qualities, you will want to try practicing visualization from the lowest quality that you tend to hit.

Replaced bad image links with good ones. Original links here - waffles
      Fixed the broken link to Rasznir's guide - vos
    • By Teryakywind
      So I've seen a lot of people complaining that when they enter into their wonderland things don't look or feel clear. I have decided to share what I do when visualizing things in my wonderland, when I'm not being fantastically lazy.

This method involves cycling through all 5 of your senses while in wonderland, one at a time, slowly building up until you have all 5 going at once.

Before you start, make sure that you are in a comfortable position, be it sitting or laying down. don't worry about falling asleep, as dozing a little can be helpful here.

Close your eyes, and imagine yourself to be in your wonderland body. Your eyes, both in the physical world and in your wonderland, should be closed, so at first you will not see anything. Be patient with me, I'm getting to that point. Just keep your wonderland eyes closed until the end.

For the sake of example, let's pretend you're sitting in a field next to a burbling stream and a forest. Overhead, the sky is clear, and the sun has reached its highest point before it once more begins its journey towards the horizon.

First, reach down and feel the dirt underneath you. Pick up a handfull, and feel how it crumbles between your fingers. Feel the temperature, be it hot or cold. Keep the dirt in one hand, and reach out with the other, and feel the tall, dry blades of grass that surround you. Feel the sun over your head. Feel its heat reflecting off of the ground and the grass around you. Feel the breeze as it ruffles your hair and brushes your skin.

Now, hear the breeze as it rustles the leaves on the tress and the grass around you. There are birds chriping, singing sweetly among the trees of the forest. There is a cricket somewhere in the field. Turn your head (remember, keep your eyes shut!) and try to figure out which direction the cricket is in relation to you. is it behind you? Off to the side? In front of you?

Next, take the handfull of dirt, lift it to your face, and smell it. Smell the crumbled moutnains, the richness that gives the grass and plants around you life. Smell the breeze, wafting past and bringing you the smell of pine trees from the forest.

Reach out, keeping your eyes closed, and pick off a blade of the rich grass. Put the end of it in your mouth, and taste the sharpness of the sap that carries nutrients to the plant. Take a little bit of the dirt in your hand, toucch it to the tip of your tongue. Taste its grittiness, taste the nutrients.

NOW, tilt your head down in wonderland so that you are looking at your lap, and open your eyes. Look at the spot you are sitting. Notice the texture of the grass that is flattened where you are sitting, the soil it grows from. Look up a little further, and see the long blades of grass swaying slightly with the breeze. Look up a little further, and see the trees in the distance as they too sway with the wind. Look up a little further, up to the sky. Notice the sun shining brightly in the sky above, the clouds floating gently along on their eternal journey across the face of the Earth.

As you go through this, keep the senses you went through before each step as you move on to the next one. Feel, then hear and feel, then feel and hear and smell, and so on.

Apply this to your own wonderland, adapting it to your wonderland's environment.

As you get better and better at visualizing in wonderland this routine will take less and less time until eventually you will be able to run through everything in a matter of moments.

---For those who requested it, a sound version made by user PsychedelicDiamond is available here: http://uploaded.net/file/qgxz0chl ---

Good luck, and happy tulpaforcing!
    • By Elvode
      I wanted to share mine and Nash meditation exercise, this exercise is great for many reasons such as:
      - Improve hearing your tulpas voice
      - Practice visualization
      - Reduces stress
      - Practice your focus
      - Because it's fun!

You can do this when your tulpa can speak and think by itself because it's your tulpa who's gonna lead a guided meditation with it's own imagination and voice, your tulpa will decide what you see around you and what you experience in there.
      The tulpa starts the relaxation in the beginning to make you feel fully relaxed, it could be like your tulpa tells you that you are on a meadow, feeling the grass and sunshine for example, if you have your own relaxing method that is ok too.

When you are relaxed your tulpa will proceed with the mediation using it's imagination, telling you what's around you, are there creatures or trees, perhaps a garden or maybe your inside a volcano because why not, your tulpa tells you where to go and what objects/buildings to approach.
      You will never know what you will experience or see, their imagination might be different from your own.
      Meditation can sometimes feel very real and is also a great way to meet your fears before you face them in real life.
      If you have listened to a recorded guided meditation before it might be easier for your tulpa to understand how it works.
    • Guest Anonymous
      By Guest Anonymous
      Are you bad at visualization? Heres's a fool-proof way to help with visualization. Wait until night, and fall asleep an hour ealier than usual. If you wake up in the middle of the night, good! If not, go to bed an hour earlier. Now, when you've found a time where you can wake up in the middle of the night, start reading on a portable device or something. Something that can change its lighting. Read for three hours. It can be anything. If you can watch videos, do that. After three hours, if you're tired, close your eyes. Imagine yourself in a Wonderland with your tulpa. You should enter a dream-like state. If you do, start forcing! You did the Dani Method

Warning: May experience sleep paralysis
    • By Spice
      A lot of people are confused about the whole mind's eye thing, and others don't know how to use it. Here is a kind of tip kind of guide to using your mind's eye.

From here on out, if you read quickly like I do, slow down and absorb each sentence. It helps.
      Now read these words in your head
      Cat
      Park
      Sausage
      Broom

You saw all of those images right? But not on your actual eyelids. That's how simple the mind's eye is. If you want to train your brain to see images in the mind's eye read a book that is heavy on description and see the images move in your head as you read.
      I'm talking full on movement. Don't skimp out on any details and try to force them into your mind's vision as vividly as possible. It takes practice, but you'll be able to do it in a couple of days or less.
      Another idea is to use a random noun generator and try to get 3D views of random objects in your head. Treat it like a computer program where you can rotate the images. Make them move at different angles, think about the lighting.
      Hopefully you'll be better by the end of these steps.
      Although I'm no stranger to using the mind's eye, I am bad at writing guides, don't take my word as fact, but use it to make your own ideas.