How Do You Tell Other People You Have a Tulpa?

Greenie

instead of actual sentient beings that they respect

Oh the hypocrisy in this...

edit: Before you tell me you already said you are guilty, I didn't mean the fuckdoll part, but the respecting part.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out about tulpae, and it does seem like I'd do that, but the reason why I got into the whole tulpa thing is because for some odd reason no matter how many people I'm around, I feel alone, and I also have anxiety, so I thought having a tulpa would allow me to feel less lonely and be less nervous about everything.

Anyway, my mom found out beforehand apparently, right after I posted the thread. We had a talk, and by some amazing fate, she understands the whole thing completely and she's allowing me to go along with it, even asking me to fill her in on progress!

She said not to tell dad though, and theres NO way I'm letting him find out about it.

Sorry if I come off as a bit young to be on here, I'll try my best to act as mature as you all.

Dat luck.

Although I can't say I'm surprised. The Ubersaw crits every other hit, so why wouldn't that luck transfer to everything else?

The risk of getting diagnosed with DID or Schizophrenia is too great

Does this actually happened before?

Regarding on the topic's issue, I don't think your mom is taking you seriously, Greenie.

Nothing.

Does this actually happened before?

It would be extremely easy for you to be diagnosed with schizophrenia if you were to tell a doctor: "Hey, there's this person inside my head who talks to me all day". Honestly, if he didn't diagnose you with schizophrenia, he'd probably have to be a pretty half-assed doctor.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

As much as I want to tell you that you should tell your parents, just don't. It's not worth it. The risk of getting diagnosed with DID or Schizophrenia is too great

At least a great many doctors would see pretty quickly that this isn't getting in the way, and may actually be helping you. In this case there wouldn't be such a diagnosis because it's not a disorder if it isn't causing problems.

and the diagnosis of Schizophrenia in particular could prevent you from ever getting a job again.

Eh, aren't medical records private? So long as you don't appear crazy to others and don't get locked in a mental hospital for a few years and then need to account for that empty spot in your resume, I don't see it being a problem even if you are diagnosed.

If you really want to talk to him out loud, though, then you could use a headset or something. Just keep it in your head if you start talking about something that would get you a few odd glances.

Yeah, Bluetooth headsets are great. You can talk to your tulpa in public all day and so long as you have a bit of plastic on the side of your head you look perfectly normal.

I generally recommend introducing it as "something I read on the Internet", so that if they immediately respond that it's completely bonkers you haven't implicated yourself in it. If they're cool with it, depending on how they respond you can either go for it, or ask what they'd think if you were to try it.

For the record, I told my family and they're fine with it. I took a different approach that didn't give me as much opportunity to judge their reaction first. Over time I was saying more about meditation, dreams, visualization, and creating realistic places in my mind, and asking about their experience with mental things. The way the discussions were going, I couldn't so reasonably being it up as a random item I just stumbled across. If I'm remembering the conversation correctly, I introduced it as something like "building a personality in my head". My mother and sister have shown interest in what I'm doing, and I've shown my mother my blog as well.

My mother has more recently said that at first it sounded crazy to her and she worried some that it would drive me crazy

(>implying I'm not)

. But since then she's noticed that I get angry less, am generally happier, and my OCD-related averseness to new things has decreased -- all things that I credit to working with my tulpae, and things that hadn't improved nearly this much with over a decade of seeing a psychologist. She's even asked me to thank Lyra.

One plus of having told them is that I've said to Lyra that when we finally get switching or full-body possession down, she's welcome to introduce herself to my mother.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Don't worry about your age. I started making Shin at 14, and even though I was kind of a spastic when I joined, my tulpas are all fine. There was someone here who was 11, once.

I don't know your parents, so I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't have told them. I hinted about reading something about meditating and making a mindscape that has random aspects to it, things I don't control, and my mum got all worried and thought I was gonna give myself schizophrenia. My dad would think I was a fucking idiot.

You should make more of an attempt to hide what you search. I got on the family's iPad and wrote something about tuppers in the notes, intending to copy/paste into my progress report the next day and my mum must have found it because I got on her phone and she had searched things about my tulpas' names, and other tulpa stuff. Earlier she had mentioned me bring up "That tulpo or whatever stuff." And I thought back to the mindscape discussion and I never mentioned tulpa to her once. later she told me she needed my password to my facebook and my "Tulpa.info blog." Luckily I was B& when she searched it I think, so she may not have read my report... My brother found the site because I must have searched it on my mum's phone and left the tab open. Cover all of your tracks.

Wow I went way off topic.

My opinions are all subject to change.

I personally wouldn't. My grandmother think I should be old enough to stop having and "imaginary friend" (I'll be 13 in two months). Geez... she doesn't know the first thing about tulpas. Anyways I just stopped talking about him to people all together... for now xD

Name: Zach

Appearance: Messy black hair, light grey eyes. A little bit pale.

Looks: 14

Favorite color: Dark blue

He usually wears a grey hoody, jeans and black converse. He listens to music a lot, so his blue headphones are around his neck most of the time.

I'm pretty sure that this has been said, but I don't feel like going through the thread so...

Try hinting to them that you have a tulpa/ you are interested in the idea. If they respond positively, keep on edging forward with the notion, until you eventually flat out say that you have a tulpa.

If they respond negatively, try to bring the idea into a different light.

I haven't told anyone, even though most people I know are open to the idea, so if you still don't want to, don't.

(Sorry, I have to mention this, even if its not exactly on topic)

Look guys. If you are going to respond to a thread, make the minimal effort to read through it. It was the same with my "people problems" thread. I wrote something to the effect of "okay guys, everything's fine now." and there were several posts after that still trying to tell me what to do.

It's great that you want to give advise, it really is. But if the problem has been "solved"(in this case, kinda/sorta) there really isn't a need to keep replying with how the OP should handle the situation, if its already been handled.

I agree that people should read the thread.

However, this could also be for future reference. Someone else with a similar problem may not have his troubles solved with as much help as the OP received. If everyone had stopped there, then this person may have had to create a new thread or something.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."