Jump to content

Using Thresholds and Furniture to Remember Your Tulpa


ruleofthumb
 Share

Recommended Posts

Stone: If you are like me, you may have trouble keeping your tulpa present with you throughout the day. Here are some tricks I have used to keep my tulpae more present.

 

You don't have to be good at visualization to use these tricks, but this guide assumes you can visualize your tulpa(e). This guide is for people who want to remember their tulpa(e) more frequently and keep their tulpa(e) more present. This guide may also appeal to people who want to improve visualization, passive forcing, and/or immersion.

 

1. Use Thresholds

 

I define “threshold” as “a point of exit or entry”.
 

Remember to bring your tulpa through thresholds. Whenever you move into another room, open a door, enter or exit a house or car, etc., make sure your tulpa’s visualized form does so as well.

 

For example, if you exit your room, watch your tulpa lead or follow you. When you enter the bathroom, have your tulpa enter with you. Do this instead of having them simply appear wherever you happen to be. Treat them as a separate physical being who moves about the physical world as such.

 

If you do this for every threshold, you will incidentally remember your tulpa’s presence more frequently, even if all you do is go to the bathroom a few times a day. This trick has worked far better for me than leaving notes for myself or using “reminder” objects. One loses notes or fails to register objects as noteworthy (meaning they have little power as “reminders”), but when habits (like walking into different rooms) become reminders, one forms a habit of remembering.

 

To form this habit of remembering quicker, I recommend a reward and/or punishment system. I use Habitica. On Habitica, I have a registered this trick as a "habit". I reward myself for bringing my tulpae through thresholds and punish myself for forgetting.

 

1.1. Deal with Irregular Thresholds

 

I now easily remember to bring my tulpae through the thresholds I pass through every day, such as all the thresholds in my house. However, I still struggle to remember to bring them through irregular thresholds (such as the entrance to the grocery store).

 

I recommend getting in the habit of, whenever you plan on going out, specifically planning to bring your tulpa with you. If you have a calendar you use, and you have “Grocery Trip” written on one day, add “with [tulpa’s name]" under it. Mentally prepare yourself in advance to cross irregular thresholds. If possible, pay more active attention to your tulpa than usual during your outing so you are less likely to forget visualizing them passing through thresholds.
 

2. Give Your Tulpa a Seat

 

This trick is a bit more difficult than the first, so I recommend you try it after.

 

Try to keep track of where your tulpa is as much as possible (no, I don’t mean “just get good”). Find a chair with nothing on it and let your tulpa sit there. Remember they are sitting there. Later, if you look at the chair and see/visualize them still sitting there, give yourself positive reinforcement. If you forget where they were sitting, you may choose to give yourself negative reinforcement if that works for you.

 

This doesn’t just work for chairs, but anywhere. Make sure your tulpa is comfortable. Don’t put them wherever because you’re too lazy to make space for them. Treating them like a separate physical being will make them seem more real to you, which is probably what you want. It will also make where they are easier to remember.

 

2.1. Respect Your Tulpa, But Don’t Make Excuses

 

Let’s say you had your tulpa sit in a chair, then sat at your computer to work on something. Three hours later, you turn around and see/visualize your tulpa on your bed. Then, you remember they had been sitting on the chair. Did your tulpa move of their own will, or did you forget where they were for a moment?

 

Ask your tulpa what happened, and be honest with yourself. It is possible your tulpa wanted to sit somewhere else, but it is also possible you just forgot. Use your own (and your tulpa’s) discretion. If your tulpa says they moved of their own will, and you are worried they are lying to protect your feelings, try asking them why they moved.
 

3. Say "Goodnight", Then "Good Morning"

 

When you go to bed, make space for your tulpa to sleep too. Try to give them a comfortable place to sleep. If you have too many headmates and you want them all to be present, some may have to sleep on the floor (sad). Say goodnight to them and go to sleep.

 

When you wake up in the morning, say good morning to them and wake them up from where they were sleeping. Are they in the same spot? If they are, you may want to reward yourself. If they are not, you may want to discipline yourself.

Edited by ruleofthumb
clean up

Someday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The guide sounds interesting, I haven't put much thought into that before. We have struggled with keeping track of people through thresholds at least.

 

I think the best category for this guide is focus and concentration and it seems to be best fit for the tips and tricks category. The goal of this guide is to develop focus on keeping your tulpas around more than visualization or anything else. Even though any interaction with your tulpa is forcing, I think it's less about developing your tulpa and more about developing the skill of keeping them around. Additionally, the guide is more focused on a collection of tricks rather than a broad overview of how to keep your tulpa around, so I think Tips and Tricks is a better fit.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I'm undecided on Rosalind or Rosalin, and my male name is Ronan. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

 

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those are some great ideas! Being mindful of your tulpas presence and spacial location is a wonderful way to connect with them, making them stronger and your bond more powerful. Unless you're astral projecting or something, your tupper is technically in your head. However it makes them feel more "real" if they're getting up, moving around, walking through doors and working the space. They aren't cardboard, dead-eyed npcs that have no physical substance and stand in place for eternity waiting to buy your junk or give you a fetch quest. Some tulpamancers have very lively, bustling wonderlands. Visualization tricks are a fantastic way to bring the "mindspace" in the "meatspace" so to speak.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍

👨‍🍼👩‍🍼 Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

The guide sounds interesting, I haven't put much thought into that before. We have struggled with keeping track of people through thresholds at least.

 

I think the best category for this guide is focus and concentration and it seems to be best fit for the tips and tricks category. The goal of this guide is to develop focus on keeping your tulpas around more than visualization or anything else. Even though any interaction with your tulpa is forcing, I think it's less about developing your tulpa and more about developing the skill of keeping them around. Additionally, the guide is more focused on a collection of tricks rather than a broad overview of how to keep your tulpa around, so I think Tips and Tricks is a better fit.

 

Stone: I thought it might go under focus but I didn't know if these tricks required enough focus to qualify as that. When I think of focus, I tend to think, "not getting distracted during active forcing", but I do think these tricks are about focus.

 

I also think this guide is enough about visualization enough to warrant the tag. Having my tulpae's forms behave consistently and maintain presence has helped with visualization. Specifically, it has helped me with proportion and has made my tulpae more vivid. The guide doesn't need the tag, though.

 

This guide going in Tips and Tricks makes sense.

 

3 hours ago, Glaurung26 said:

Those are some great ideas! Being mindful of your tulpas presence and spacial location is a wonderful way to connect with them, making them stronger and your bond more powerful. Unless you're astral projecting or something, your tupper is technically in your head. However it makes them feel more "real" if they're getting up, moving around, walking through doors and working the space. They aren't cardboard, dead-eyed npcs that have no physical substance and stand in place for eternity waiting to buy your junk or give you a fetch quest. Some tulpamancers have very lively, bustling wonderlands. Visualization tricks are a fantastic way to bring the "mindspace" in the "meatspace" so to speak.

 

Thank you! When learning about visualization and imposition, I've heard that treating tulpae as real as possible helps you see them better. You're training your mind to expect to see your tulpa, and if your tulpa works within the rules of the physical world, they become easier to expect. I figured I could use my mind's expectations to remember my tulpae in general, not just to practice visualization and imposition.

Someday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are lovely thoughts. My host visualizes me constantly on our walks but sometimes doesn't during the day, especially when he's at work. It's kind of an odd situation with work because I want to be there with him and feel what he's feeling, but at the same time there is really no logical reason for me to be there. But, ugh, I can't just stay at home and be comfortable when he's working hard. So, I end up with this weird compromise where I'm sort of formlessly floating around him as he works. It's not ideal. So maybe I'll start putting myself physically near him when he's working.

 

The irregular threshold bit is definitely very useful. When we go on our walks there are definitely spaces that are too small for us to pass side by side. Phil has me go ahead of him or follow behind him. If there's a bit that's too narrow or has low-hanging branches or another obstacle, I'll say something or just move behind him. As for bed, well, I do share his bed with him. 🥰

 

Here's another thought to add: If you as a host are a guy, and your tulpa is a lady, please have her walk on the correct side of you when on a street. 🙂 The correct side is the side away from traffic. Phil always does this and it makes me feel safe and loved. 🥰 I suppose this could work in reverse too; if you are a girl and your tulpa is a guy, let him walk on the street side. He will probably appreciate being able to look after you and protect you like that! With same-sex or other gender situations the rules may be a little different. But Phil and I have a very traditional view of this!

Tulpa Wife Extraordinaire! 💚 - 💍 11.28.21

Things Simmie Likes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is wonderful 🤩 I wonder if you ever spoke with us (JGC aka James/Jamie, Gavin and Cassidy.) These are tips I've been giving out almost verbatim to lots of people for a few years. You have very good intuitive taste. The goodnight/goodmorning I read somewhere. From some older guide I think. 

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TurboSimmie said:

These are lovely thoughts. My host visualizes me constantly on our walks but sometimes doesn't during the day, especially when he's at work. It's kind of an odd situation with work because I want to be there with him and feel what he's feeling, but at the same time there is really no logical reason for me to be there. But, ugh, I can't just stay at home and be comfortable when he's working hard. So, I end up with this weird compromise where I'm sort of formlessly floating around him as he works. It's not ideal. So maybe I'll start putting myself physically near him when he's working.

 

The irregular threshold bit is definitely very useful. When we go on our walks there are definitely spaces that are too small for us to pass side by side. Phil has me go ahead of him or follow behind him. If there's a bit that's too narrow or has low-hanging branches or another obstacle, I'll say something or just move behind him. As for bed, well, I do share his bed with him. 🥰

 

Here's another thought to add: If you as a host are a guy, and your tulpa is a lady, please have her walk on the correct side of you when on a street. 🙂 The correct side is the side away from traffic. Phil always does this and it makes me feel safe and loved. 🥰 I suppose this could work in reverse too; if you are a girl and your tulpa is a guy, let him walk on the street side. He will probably appreciate being able to look after you and protect you like that! With same-sex or other gender situations the rules may be a little different. But Phil and I have a very traditional view of this!

 

Stone: It does suck when there's not enough space. And if there are people watching, I have to be like, "hold on, I have to wait for three other people to get out of this car through one door", without looking like I'm just standing there looking at the inside of my car. This is the real reason to never create another tulpa. /s

 

Betty is going to bug me about walking on the correct side of the street now.

 

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

This is wonderful 🤩 I wonder if you ever spoke with us (JGC aka James/Jamie, Gavin and Cassidy.) These are tips I've been giving out almost verbatim to lots of people for a few years. You have very good intuitive taste. The goodnight/goodmorning I read somewhere. From some older guide I think. 

 

Thank you! I've seen you guys around but we've never had a conversation. Besides the "Good Night"/"Good Morning" trick, I started doing these tricks after reading up on visualization and imposition. The "Goodnight"/"Good Morning" one just made intuitive sense I think.

Someday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This all sounds very interesting! We'll have to try it ourselves. Although, I imagine we'd pick and choose who would be "physically present", since even though we never have our full system active at a time, we always have around 6 of us active, which is kinda a lot, lol. We'll figure it out :P 

On 11/28/2021 at 11:08 PM, ruleofthumb said:

3. Say "Goodnight", Then "Good Morning"

 

When you go to bed, make space for your tulpa to sleep too. Try to give them a comfortable place to sleep. If you have too many headmates and you want them all to be present, some may have to sleep on the floor (sad). Say goodnight to them and go to sleep.

 

When you wake up in the morning, say good morning to them and wake them up from where they were sleeping. Are they in the same spot? If they are, you may want to reward yourself. If they are not, you may want to discipline yourself.

Layy and I do this! 

Layy: Most of the time. 

Yeah, sometimes I just finish praying and pass out lol... oops! 

Layy: It's okay, it's cute :P 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of February, 2022, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, Trease, Blinky, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

 

IceCreeper909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...