Reina

Is it necessary to work on personality?

First of all, I am typing on my phone and second of all this is the first thread that I have written (how exciting!).

Well the title says it all really, but I was wondering if I really needed to heavily focus on Reina's personality (tulpa). I mean she's vocal via mindvoice and seems to have her personality already (I focused on her personality before but very lightly, I only gave her a few traits and left the rest up to her).

Anyways, should I focus more on her personality or is she fine the way she is?

Sorry if this sounds stupid :/

Actually this does sound stupid now that I reread it but I'm going to ask anyways.

Reina: human, female, 17.

Began 26th of April

Can talk to me via mindvoice. :D

Welcome to the forum.

No, you don't need to work on personality, and I would in fact advise against it. Your tulpa is already sentient and such, so there is no reason to do personality, nor would it have any effect other than potentially confusing your tulpa.

As a note for anyone else who finds this thread by the title, it isn't necessary to work on personality at any stage, just recommended by some.

As waffles said, it's more a choice than something required.

I decided not to do it because I wanted my tulpa to decide everything by herself, so no name, no personality pre-decided..

Some people might be scared their tulpa won't be like they want it (which is kinda silly imho) and thus do it, just be sure s/he can have someway of doing it if you want him/her to do it. I gave mine access to my memories, for example.

Guest Anonymous

Forgive me if I sound like a broken record here, but as the two people above said, it's not at all necessary to work on personality, but depending on if you're willing for a more randomized result, don't even bother with it. Just let it develop from whatever stimuli (narration/forcing sessions/etc) the tulpa recieves.

However if you want a more controled personality (but lets face it, ultimately the tulpa is the one to choose how they want to execute their personality), you could always just do what I do. Teach them about a slew of personality traits and narrate to them about a few that you liked.

That's what I did, and Snow turned out just fine. A little rough around the edges in the free-will department, but we got those straightened out as time went on...

So yes. If you're alright with random, don't bother with personality. If you do, (and are willing to do a little bit of sandpapering on the consept that he/she does have free reign) then go ahead. But all in all, personality isn't a necessity.

Guest Anonymous

Probably her personality would turn out in a way you like it anyway, one of the theories is that it develops along subconscious desires, so it's almost impossible for her to get a personality you wouldn't like at all unless you work towards it.

Okay thank you :)

This is reassuring to know as I didn't want to work on personality, but saw alot of guides with it.

Once again, thank you.

Reina: human, female, 17.

Began 26th of April

Can talk to me via mindvoice. :D

Probably her personality would turn out in a way you like it anyway, one of the theories is that it develops along subconscious desires, so it's almost impossible for her to get a personality you wouldn't like at all unless you work towards it.

It's a theory that the personality develops throu subconsciousness desires. I do think they highly impact but there can be other not so good things in ones subconsciousness which could affect too.

the result is always like throwing a dice. (thou ones expectations will hold a strong influence on the result). If one is carrying fears of how the Tulpa may be, those fears could influence the outcome.

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

I do think they highly impact but there can be other not so good things in ones subconsciousness which could affect too.

Not so good things? What do you mean?

Like you said, it usually reflects your subconscious desires. Why would you desire something that's not good? If you do, then that's the main problem here, and it could affect the process either way.

If one is carrying fears of how the Tulpa may be, those fears could influence the outcome.

Yes, but it is that way anyway. Whether you define personality or not.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Guest Soft

I don't really see a point in it, as long as you assume they are sentient the whole time. Storm never worked on my personality much in the first place, and I was fully vocal in about 4 and a half weeks.

You don't have to, but I see it as sort of "narration with training wheels". I like it and think it's a point from which to kickstart the development of a tulpa. Of course, I'm not one for three-hours-and-you're-done tulpa, so that's something to take into consideration.