Lord Tourettes

REM while tulpaforcing?

Last night was one of the single most strange nights I've had in my life. For the first time ever, I decided to tulpaforce while laying down, eyes closed, in the dark, and while I was very tired as well. Knowing myself, I knew I probably wouldn't fall asleep since I have to be in complete peace and relaxedness to do so. But I did not expect THIS to happen.

All of a sudden, even though it was already dark in my room, it seemed as if everything got darker. My body felt heavy, and my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest from anxiety (since I had never felt that kind of sudden feeling before). It wasn't sleep paralysis, for I could move any part of my body and make it stop at any time.

But here's where it gets freaky. I decided to continue tulpaforcing with my eyes closed anyway. I kind of wanted that to happen again, only with the mentality that everything will be okay so I don't have an anxiety attack. The same exact thing happened, but out of the blue, involuntarily, my eyes rolled to the very back of my head and began to flicker rapidly. My heart started to beat extremely fast once more, but this time from excitement. I could make the eye movement stop at any time, I could move my body if I wanted to, and I could think rational thoughts. But I just lay there, letting my eyes do their thing, and talking to Lord Tourettes about it. I eventually made myself stop since it was going on for a while. And my eyes hurt too from rolling to the back of my head, I thought they were going to get damaged or something. When I opened my eyes, everything was flickering and hazy from where my eyes were doing that for a significant amount of time.

I believe this was caused by engaging in brain activity (tulpaforcing) while tired and in a sleeping position. It would usually happen after 5-10 minutes of tulpaforcing like that. Thing is, I really want to tulpaforce like that again. I'm thinking that maybe if I would have stayed like that for longer, I could have gone into deeper levels of sleep, and possibly even lucid dream. My question is, should I keep experimenting with it and see where it takes me? Or is it unhealthy?

Definitely starts like the beginning of a lucid dream to me. I say stick with it. I don't believe it could hurt you.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Uh, sounds like nothing I've heard before to be honest. That doesn't sound like what REM is, to me. REM has your eyes flicking around rapidly and randomly, not rolling back, and it wouldn't affect your vision to be woken up out of it, nor should it cause strain. Props to you realizing it wasn't sleep paralysis though, that was my first impression. Sounds sort of like narcolepsy, but you'd know if you had that. I know that people can train their minds to stay conscious while their body falls asleep, and Wikipedia says people with narcolepsy often experience REM sleep within 5 minutes of falling asleep, while normal people must go through deep sleep first. Besides the eyes moving back it sounds kind of like you entered REM sleep while awake, which I don't think is normally possible (you'd be in a dreamscape). Otherwise I'd think it was just psychological since you had control over things, but that doesn't entirely explain why your body felt heavy. All I can think is there's some neuro-physical issue, to whatever extent.

So I dunno, if it isn't a problem and doesn't harm you, then I guess it's fine. The eyes rolling back part worries me, but everything else sounds like your body was going to sleep while you were mentally awake. I'm gonna say, don't let your eyes move to a position that stresses them, but otherwise try to stick it out until you enter a dream. That's essentially the WILD lucid dreaming technique, but the eye movement is abnormal. Maybe experiment and do your own research, I guess. If you can reach that state relatively easily on purpose and it enables you to have WILDs, then it's a blessing. If you have a stroke then it's probably not a blessing.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

Yeah, I honestly think the eyes rolling back was my fault. Since I knew I could stop the flickering at any time, I kinda let them do that and was afraid that if I tried to put them in a normal position, it would stop altogether. I just tried rolling my eyes back, and turns out it's super easy to do that for me. The rapid flickering however, no. That was definitely involuntary. And the vision I had wasn't exactly that bad, it just looked like what you would see if you got a little dizzy. Could have been adrenaline (I was pretty excited).

There's nothing really wrong with rapid eye movements, and somehow I learned to do it manually too. But your eyes shouldn't go so far in any direction that it stresses them. Your eyes don't naturally do that while in REM sleep, they just dart around a lot. And if I push my eyes in a direction fairly hard for like ten seconds and look forward, things are kinda distorted, too. Normal REM shouldn't come with any more than readjusting to light and scope when brought out of it.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

Thank you everyone for your answers, I'll be sure to not go so far back with my eyes again the next time I try it out. And about the WILD lucid dreaming, that's exactly what I was thinking while it was happening! I'm definitely trying it out again, but going with it longer. Glad I got clarification on that, because I wasn't sure if I could lucid dream that way or not.

i lucid often and from what i can tell is your starting to learn unconsciously how to lucid.. it took me a while but i guess my little red just took my hand with his soft furry paws in one c dream and made me lucid.. from there on out, red and blue and i just enjoy the experience.

Tulpa:Snow

Mindscape:

Artopia