Common pitfalls and traps while making a tulpa.

reguile

Question

This should be in the tips and tricks board:

When making a tulpa, it's easy to do things that are actually mistakes, and I think it's important to highlight some of the big ones that I have noticed and/or made while observing the tulpa community.

"Magic" Tulpa

The first, and largest, mistake I am aware of is the assumption that tulpa are "magical". Too often people will come into the tulpa community and see all these people talking to tulpa that they have been developing for years, and expect to reach the sort of levels of conversation they are seeing as soon as "first contact" is made with their tulpa. This expectation is unrealistic, and leads to a large number of people questioning the identity of thoughts that they shouldn't. Tulpa are often things which develop slowly, and may not feel sentient at the beginning.

There are some that make a tulpa and are instantly having full conversations, but I want to warn anyone new of a few important things.

• Your tulpa is likely to sound like you at first.
  • Tulpa often do not to seem to be independent at first.
  • You may have to have your tulpa in mind in order to speak to it, at first.
  • Your tulpa may not be making large, complex, advanced sentences, or forming long-form opinions at first.
  • You may not notice the progress in definite "steps", all things relating to tulpa tend to be gradual, and all processes tend to slowly get better over time. Even some of the the most experienced tulpamancers have issues with the above things in the list.

Falling into a rut

This is something I did for ages, before I realized what was going on.

After you get to the point where you are first getting responses from your tulpa, it's easy to be overly concerned with getting responses at all, and it's easy to stop challenging yourself. One thing I have noticed is that it is easy to fall into a pattern with your tulpa.

A person who does this is going to start asking or speaking with their tulpa about the same thing every day. You ask your tulpa "how was today", it responds with "good", and that's about it, you repeat this process every day, and you have spent months doing nothing of worth to develop or inspire progress with your tulpa.

The fix to this is to watch for instances like I mention above and try to mix things up a bit. If you have heard or discussed something with your tulpa, try to move onto a new topic. Ask more complex questions, even they aren't answered at first, you are never going to get a tulpa capable of doing so without actually trying to encourage such activities. Don't let the lack of response shake your faith in your tulpas existing.

Stereotype Threat

This is something that is less a common issue for the person making a tulpa, and more one for everyone who views their tulpa.

A lot of times I see people with tulpa who act really oddly, strangely, or stupidly. I call these tulpa "stereotype tulpa" because it seems like they act entirely within a very simple set of personality traits.

It's hard to define where this is a problem, because it's kind of in the nature of tulpa to have a more simple, and easy to identify, personality, than a person does. However, one of the biggest tip-offs are odd ways of speaking, and the second-biggest tip offs are the tulpa always taking a extreme or severe position.

I've seen tulpa that always speak with certain dialects, or tulpa that always are mean, or tulpas that are super cheerful. While these things don't hold back forcing, necessarily, they are a sign that the host hasn't actually been considering the personality of their tulpa on a deeper level, and/or are taking shortcuts to make their tulpa appear more distinct in their head.

The only real way to combat this is more focus on nuance in personality, and development so that such stereotypes aren't necessary for the host to pick out the tulpa's thoughts.

Separation of theory from practice, or treating your tulpa not as a person

This issue isn't necessarily a common one, but I think it's fairly important.

Often, people discussing the theory of tulpa will allow it to effect the way they force or the way they treat their tulpa. For example, it is possible to use "selection of thoughts" to change a tulpas personality, essentially picking and choosing what thoughts were your tulpa, and which weren't, even if all of the thoughts felt as if they were coming from a tulpa. This practice is fine, in small part, but using techniques like this a lot distracts from the core purpose of making a tulpa, and that is treating them as if they are a separate human being within your head.

There is a fine line between doing the things above, and forcing correctly at the same time. The absolute most important thing for progress with tulpa is to treat and regard your tulpa as a person while forcing.

Another example: I abandoned a form, abandoned focus on personality, abandoned the wonderland. In theory, these things are not necessary, but allow a person to focus purely on vocalization. While it is absolutely possible to make a tulpa without a form, and I did make progress while not personalizing my tulpa very much, I have noticed recently that forgetting to treat your tulpa as a separate human being can be very detrimental to progress. Do not allow theory to distract from that core point.

Lazy forcing

It is easy to hear "you don't have to active force" or "tulpa can develop slowly over time" or believe that a tulpa can develop itself. These are bad habits to follow. Another issue that has effected me, rather than being observed, is the effect of thinking that you can ignore your tulpa for long periods of time while still making some sort of progress.

Making a tulpa is a difficult thing, not an easy one. You can't fool around for a year and expect things to be done. Forcing, in some form, is required to develop your mind and become better with tulpa. You don't get your tulpa to seem as if it is thinking alongside you every day without practicing thinking of your tulpa every day. It's hard to do, but you have to do it.

That doesn't mean you have to active force every day for an hour, either. It just means you have to put work in, to get productivity out. If you have a tulpa now, and you notice that your sum interactions with the tulpa are not challenging, new, or substantial, on a regular basis, then you should attempt to change this if you want to progress.

Accepting every little thing as reality

This serves direct contrast to the separation of theory from forcing.

Often you see people who have issues with their tulpa acting in strange ways. Their tulpa develops a personality trait they didn't want, or does something they feared.

This is a common thing with tulpa, especially early on, because many people aren't accustomed to determining what thoughts are and aren't their tulpa, and early on it is very easy to both misinterpret a thought as coming from their tulpa, and allow that thought to become part of that tulpa's new personality.

For example, a person who fears rejection above all else makes a tulpa. The one thing this person fears hearing from this tulpa is "I hate you", so whenever that person forces that phrase is on their mind. So, eventually, the thought will run through their mind in the moment the host is looking to hear from the tulpa, and as such, hears the tulpa saying "I hate you", exactly as feared. Hearing this, the person is devastated, and thinks their tulpa actually does hate them, makes up a reason for it, and now it's a part of the tulpa forever.

It's important to always assume that negative or unwanted comments are not the tulpa. Later on, it's much safer, but even then you should try to get your tulpa to give a very good explanation of their feelings, and I would still dismiss thoughts that are extreme for little good reason as intrusive.

Which part is the challenging part?

In the Falling into a Rut part

After you get to the point where you are first getting responses from your tulpa, it's easy to be overly concerned with getting responses at all, and it's easy to stop challenging yourself. One thing I have noticed is that it is easy to fall into a pattern with your tulpa.

If the reader reads the next two short paragraphs, in principle they can piece it all out. You do go on to describe it, but it doesn't sound or feel connected to someone knew to this. That is why I think something short right there where you say "challenge" would help. That way, it doesn't look like a list of items in that section, but an elaboration of one thing.

Though, I will say that upon rereading, the issue is not as bad as I originally thought.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

I'd say this is pretty solid for Tips and Tricks now, so I approve.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)