About mental illness

I sincerely apologize if this has been brought up before. I tried searching for 'limits' and 'disorder' but I couldn't find the right topic, so I'm asking directly.

Anyway, long story short, I thought I had made a tulpa, but it turns out I sort of just gave a form to something that was already there. While I can't currently see a therapist (due to money and time constraints), I know for certain that I have some kind of dissociative disorder. Looking at my specific symptoms, it can't really be anything else. But now I've been looking into making a tulpa again. The idea still fascinates me, and caring for a tulpa seems to be very much what it's like with my current situation, so it's not like I wouldn't know how to.

Would it be okay to make a tulpa, even with a dissociative disorder? New alters pop up here and there, but I don't really see why making a tulpa would hurt. Although people may think I'm too mentally unstable to have one.

Well there should be some similiar posts in the Q&A section. Honestly i wouldn't recommend it, because you can't tell how things are going to develop. If it affects your tulpa you could suddenly end up with a very aggressive or unpredictable tulpa for no certain reason at all or something like that. Or the mental illness could go worse, On the other hand it may even could turn out helpful, on matter of that mental illness. It is a risk atleast, so reflect about it before you do something you would regret.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Guest Anonymous

I would see the therapist first and actually talk with him/her about whether it would be a good idea or not. If you are having identity disorder issues, my gut is telling me you should wait.

Well there should be some similiar posts in the Q&A section. Honestly i wouldn't recommend it, because you can't tell how things are going to develop. If it affects your tulpa you could suddenly end up with a very aggressive or unpredictable tulpa for no certain reason at all or something like that. Or the mental illness could go worse, On the other hand it may even could turn out helpful, on matter of that mental illness. It is a risk atleast, so reflect about it before you do something you would regret.

I wouldn't really expect it to become aggressive, seeing as the only aggressive person around here seems to be me, lol. But I would definitely think it through this time around; last time I started after two days of research (luckily I didn't end up with an actual tulpa; I have no idea how that would have turned out). Thanks for the advice though, I'll be sure to consider my options carefully.

I would see the therapist first and actually talk with him/her about whether it would be a good idea or not. If you are having identity disorder issues, my gut is telling me you should wait.

I'm a little iffy on even telling the therapist about tulpae. They could take it as just some sort of silly game or whatever that people with mental disorders shouldn't be playing; or that "oh yeah sure they aren't real anyway, what's the harm in that?" I don't think a tulpa would be treated as seriously as it should, really. But I'll wait to start anything until a therapist helps me understand some issues that I have, so thank you for the advice.

Could you describe how your disorder might negatively effect a tulpa? As in, worst case scenarios and little things that might hinder progress because of your illness. Also, how long have you thought about creating a tulpa, are you familiar with guides and other general knowledge on tulpas?

Could you describe how your disorder might negatively effect a tulpa? As in, worst case scenarios and little things that might hinder progress because of your illness. Also, how long have you thought about creating a tulpa, are you familiar with guides and other general knowledge on tulpas?

Many people think that having a dissociative disorder, then attempting to create a tulpa could possibly make it "worse" (although more alters doesn't equal worse, actually). I honestly can't see how it would affect the tulpa itself, but maybe others can? And I guess having people with mental illnesses like this could discredit the community, and other people don't want that.

I started an attempt to create a tulpa on 11/20/14. It turns out I only gave a form to an alter that was already there, and I've become aware of other alters since June of this year. I've read a lot of the threads on here, and I've read many of the guides as well. I just feel like this isn't really a place that would tolerate people with disorders like mine to be making tulpae.

Sorry for bothering everyone.

[Hail] From my anecdotal observations and experience, making a tulpa is not only possible for you but would probably not have a negative effect on your current situation.

I myself am multiple and definitely have had (and possibly still do) a dissociative disorder of some sort, though which one is a hard thing to say. There were four alters here, including myselves (subsystem), before any tulpas were made. Was an integrated multiple, in fact, when the original, S, and I made five tulpas (Tri, A., and E.). After S and I separated, I ended up making another tulpa on accident (long story). So far, making tulpas hasn't negatively affected the existing situation, though it certainly might look like it. The appearance is mainly due to my own misunderstanding of what was going on. Tulpamancy and the tulpas have helped me figure out the existing multiplicity here. And frankly, if it wasn't for Tri, our group would not have had spare people to control the body when I completely broke down while S was trapped inside (long story). The multiplicity hasn't really negatively affected the tulpas other than if S and I were not dissociative, they would not have had to step up to the plate so to speak in the first place. To be fair in all of this, our system, even at its most disordered, wasn't as disordered as some systems out there, so take our experiences with a bit of salt. You can read more about us in our PR: The Tulpas of the Fall Family.

Now, as for others' experiences. We have known a number of people who were multiple and made tulpas. Some were even DID systems. Most seemed to have had OK experiences. Can think of one who had a rough experience, but that was more of a "they thought they were a single person and making a tulpa put in the wedge to make things visible but also fall apart in the shock of it".

Essentially, going in blind can give some more mixed results. You sound like you are going in knowing your situation, which makes it easier to avoid pitfalls. Still, there are some difficulties. You should think about it carefully. If you choose to make a tulpa, do be careful.

You can find some other multiple systems who have made tulpas at

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

[Hail] From my anecdotal observations and experience, making a tulpa is not only possible for you but would probably not have a negative effect on your current situation.

I myself am multiple and definitely have had (and possibly still do) a dissociative disorder of some sort, though which one is a hard thing to say. There were four alters here, including myselves (subsystem), before any tulpas were made. Was an integrated multiple, in fact, when the original, S, and I made five tulpas (Tri, A., and E.). After S and I separated, I ended up making another tulpa on accident (long story). So far, making tulpas hasn't negatively affected the existing situation, though it certainly might look like it. The appearance is mainly due to my own misunderstanding of what was going on. Tulpamancy and the tulpas have helped me figure out the existing multiplicity here. And frankly, if it wasn't for Tri, our group would not have had spare people to control the body when I completely broke down while S was trapped inside (long story). The multiplicity hasn't really negatively affected the tulpas other than if S and I were not dissociative, they would not have had to step up to the plate so to speak in the first place. To be fair in all of this, our system, even at its most disordered, wasn't as disordered as some systems out there, so take our experiences with a bit of salt. You can read more about us in our PR: The Tulpas of the Fall Family.

Now, as for others' experiences. We have known a number of people who were multiple and made tulpas. Some were even DID systems. Most seemed to have had OK experiences. Can think of one who had a rough experience, but that was more of a "they thought they were a single person and making a tulpa put in the wedge to make things visible but also fall apart in the shock of it".

Essentially, going in blind can give some more mixed results. You sound like you are going in knowing your situation, which makes it easier to avoid pitfalls. Still, there are some difficulties. You should think about it carefully. If you choose to make a tulpa, do be careful.

You can find some other multiple systems who have made tulpas at

Thanks so much for the detailed response, it's actually very reassuring. I was honestly very afraid that I would get a lot of pushback from the community if they knew about my current system and the fact that I'd like to make a tulpa (in fact, some alters want to help, so that's pretty nice too).

I thought that my first alter was a tulpa for many months, mostly due to how quiet he was and the fact that I was under the assumption that I made him. The realization was really slow, but I think it was a good thing that I found out. Making a real tulpa should be possible now.

Sorry for the mini backstory, but again, thanks for your advice and background knowledge. It's very helpful :)