Trippy questions about switching (sorry if I am supposed to know already)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

oh gods. Joshua you rock and roll. I am confused even worse now thanks. I will not be doing switching ever. Something would definitely go horribly wrong. Like Melian would possess my body, dress it in a mini-skirt and go out to a club or something horrible. Meanwhile, I would get eaten by a dragon in her dreamscape.

Either tulpas are really sentient and full switching of this type is possible or tulpas are not real sentience and it is not possible. They would have to be sentient for it to really work, as far as I can see. I will leave it alone at this point because it is totally beyond my capacity to grasp. I just don't want to go there anymore. LOL

Today is the last time I discuss it EVER as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or upset anyone. I am just flat confused by it. I tell you what though, tulpamancy is definitely not what I originally thought it was. It just isn't.

There is another possible explanation for my confusion and failure to understand or accept switching. It could very well be that what I am doing with Melian is fundamentally different than what others are doing. If that is true, it would explain why the idea of switching feels wrong to me but right to others. I have to consider that possibility. Melian may not be independently sentient, but that doesn't mean that other tulpas aren't either. I have to just accept what people are telling me without applying it to myself necessarily. What is going on in another's person's mind is impossible for me to assess.

[Hail] There actually is another possibility, if we want to get philosophical. What if, when the host is in full control, they are sentient and a tulpa inside is not sentient (either semi-sentient or pseudo-sentient). Then, with a switch, the tulpa becomes sentient (since they are attached to the body's senses and in full control) and the host becomes non-sentient inside (either semi-sentient or pseudo-sentient). Then switching, in addition to swapping control, swaps which one is fully sentient and who is simulated. Possession would be some other state in between.

I've seen people switch in person, so I believe it is possible beyond just my own experience with it (admittedly, my own history is a bit fuzzy so my system may not be a good example). Now, how it works, who knows. But I have seen tulpas and non-tulpa headmates switch.

As far as evidence that switching for any subset of plurals is something that happens, switching shows up on MRI's among other things for DID and OSDD/DDNOS multiples. Now, that is a subset of plurals, and the mechanisms of plurality could very well be different for other types of plurality, so it may not extend. Should be studied actually.

oh gods. Joshua you rock and roll. I am confused even worse now thanks. I will not be doing switching ever. Something would definitely go horribly wrong. Like Melian would possess my body, dress it in a mini-skirt and go out to a club or something horrible. Meanwhile, I would get eaten by a dragon in her dreamscape.

It is definitely OK to never want to switch and to never do so. For those who do, ground rules are very important. Same goes for possession. There definitely were some rules laid down together before Tri ever possessed the body in our system. Funny thing, mentioning the mini-skirts and clubs, I am a pants girl while Tri are skirt and dress girls, and they definitely are way more likely to want to go to a club than I ever would (they have worn skirts and dresses now, but not gone to a club).

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

What if, when the host is in full control, they are sentient and a tulpa inside is not sentient (either semi-sentient or pseudo-sentient). Then, with a switch, the tulpa becomes sentient (since they are attached to the body's senses and in full control) and the host becomes non-sentient inside (either semi-sentient or pseudo-sentient). Then switching, in addition to swapping control, swaps which one is fully sentient and who is simulated. Possession would be some other state in between.

If I had to convince an absolute skeptic of my tulpas' and my ability to switch, this is probably what I would tell them. It really is what our experience would imply. But the terms are iffy by what this community uses, and I don't like to think of my tulpas as not-sentient despite not possibly having the same mental faculties I do. Interesting that you bring this idea up, though, because from what I hear it only fits me. Everyone else says they're fully aware and sentient on both sides, and we're special for requiring the current host's attention to act in any depth. But, that isn't a trait of our switching, it's a trait of my tulpas themselves. I have no idea what it's like to have fully independent tulpas who could basically have their own consistent mental lives without acknowledging my existence. I suppose if I did, then our experience with switching would be different too.

And then I probably wouldn't have agreed with what you just said.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.