Can I trade photo-realism for consistency?

neo

The references are optional, this is all just to train your skill at imposing and visualizing. Learning to see details will help your brain see details with the skill in general, memorizing references' details would just be a temporary bonus help

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

14 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

The references are optional, this is all just to train your skill at imposing and visualizing. Learning to see details will help your brain see details with the skill in general, memorizing references' details would just be a temporary bonus help

So is it supposed to become a completely automatic and independent task at some point that won't involve me having to memorize the details of the references? Maybe I should focus on getting to that instead.

I mean, is visualization a "completely automatic and independent task"? I think there's always a "minimum/default" and "maximum/applied" difference of quality, but they should both go up together with practice.

I, personally, have terrible visualization quality, because I can't make myself practice consistently. Our visual imposition quality is literally only a little behind our visualization quality (though visualization improves much quicker with practice), which is to say our imposition is "I can kind of maybe see some detail to that silhouette there" and our visualization is "Hey, there's enough detail that I don't lose focus trying to look at them!"

Though to be fair, we don't find most things we can do in the wonderland/visualizing very entertaining, so we never do it. We do imposition, but just passively and lazily, we only spend a few minutes actually focusing on improving detail like once a week, irregularly.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Luminesce said:

I mean, is visualization a "completely automatic and independent task"? I think there's always a "minimum/default" and "maximum/applied" difference of quality, but they should both go up together with practice.

I have found this to be the case as well, but my quality is all over the place and it depends very heavily on what I did that day.

1 hour ago, Luminesce said:

I, personally, have terrible visualization quality, because I can't make myself practice consistently. Our visual imposition quality is literally only a little behind our visualization quality (though visualization improves much quicker with practice), which is to say our imposition is "I can kind of maybe see some detail to that silhouette there" and our visualization is "Hey, there's enough detail that I don't lose focus trying to look at them!"

I've found this old visual guide to the imposition stages and the picture at stage 4 describes well my baseline. But it doesn't just stay there is very chaotic and it goes from 4 it oscillates to 5 then 3.
https://web.archive.org/web/20181113092107/https://chaoticstulpablog.tumblr.com/post/109120970031/chaotics-visual-guide-to-imposition-stages

I wish there was a timeline to see how long it took from 4 to 5 to become the baseline.

Edited by neo