Tips for Hearing Your Tulpa

fennecgirl

Question

(copied from my reddit post)

I have some tips for those who have trouble hearing their tulpa (besides “force more”):

• Get into a good state of mind for it. You can meditate if you want, or you can just sit or lie somewhere comfortable, close your eyes, and make sure you’re in a quiet place (if this isn’t an option, then put on headphones and listen to colored noise or instrumental music; both of these things will help block out the noise and shouldn’t be too distracting to most people). I’ve had some of my best, most vivid forcing sessions in this state because it makes it easier to focus and makes me more perceptive to my imagination. Ideally, you should do this when you aren’t tired to avoid the risk of falling asleep. This post may also be helpful.
  • Thought ping-pong.
  • Just listen and let them talk. Prompt them with a topic to talk about, and just let them talk. You might be surprised how much they have to say when given the opportunity.
  • Proxy. I’ve been surprised more than once by how clearly I can hear a tulpa I can’t normally hear well when I proxy for them. If you’re proxying to encourage them to speak and to learn to hear them better, don’t say anything, just let them do all the talking. I don’t know why it is that sometimes I’ve been able to hear my tulpae more clearly while proxying, but it does work. If your tulpa is shy about speaking to others, then tie this suggestion in with the last one - ask them to talk about something and transcribe it.
  • Make up a story together, taking turns saying one sentence at a time. If neither of you can think of a way to start it off, search online for story starters.
  • Play word games. I’m not going to explain any here because this post is basically a wall of text, but I’ll explain how to play a few word games in a reply to this (here) in case anyone here doesn’t know any.
  • Sing together! (credit to ThatFellowWithTheScarf for suggesting this)

I also have some advice for related problems people may have.

"Sometimes, I think I hear my tulpa talk, but then I think it’s just me!"

• First of all, are you worried that you’re parroting or that the tulpa’s words in question are just intrusive thoughts? If you think you might be parroting, read this. If you’re afraid what you’re hearing is just intrusive thoughts, then ask your tulpa if it was something they said or not. If they tell you that, yes, they said that, then trust them.
  • Alternatively, read this.

"My tulpa isn’t vocal yet; everything they say is just me parroting!"

• Are you consciously parroting, or is it unintentional? If you think you’re parroting unintentionally, you aren’t, since parroting is something that is only done intentionally. You can't "unintentionally parrot"; any "unintentionally parroted" responses are either intrusive thoughts or legitimate responses that you mistake for parroting. See the previous piece of advice.

"I get too many intrusive thoughts, and it makes it hard to hear my tulpa!"/"It often sounds like my tulpa is saying multiple things at once, and I don’t know which responses are really theirs!"

• Just relax. Don’t stress out over it. If intrusive thoughts are interfering too much with communication that hearing your tulpa is difficult, then just take a moment to clear your mind and relax. I sometimes get so many intrusive thoughts that holding a conversation with my tulpae becomes nearly impossible, and, nearly every time that happens, taking a moment to clear my mind significantly reduces the amount of intrusive thoughts I’m getting, making conversation much easier or at least manageable.

"I never know what to talk about with my tulpa!"

• Talk about things that happened throughout the day.
  • Ask your tulpa if they have any ideas of what to talk about. They might have something they’d like to talk about.
  • Choose an activity to do together - playing a game, watching TV, doing crafts, surfing the internet, anything - and talk about what you’re doing as you’re doing it.
  • Look online for conversation starters or interview questions and ask these to your tulpa (they can ask you some as well and comment on your answers).
  • The story-writing game and word games I mentioned earlier are also helpful here.
  • Proxying is also useful advice for this. If you’re having trouble finding things to say while talking to your tulpa, then let them talk with someone who does have more to say.
  • Singing together is helpful here, as well, since you just need to follow along with the lyrics rather than thinking of things to talk about.

(As this is a collection of various tips rather than a proper guide, I'd like to submit this to Tips & Tricks.)

Changelog:

10/1/14 - Realized I accidentally linked to the list of word games again where I should've linked to Tips for those who are getting "parrotnoid" - whoops! Fixed it.

10/5/14 - Fixed broken url tag in the changelog. Added extra sentence to response to "parroting" problem for more clarification. Added link to Sands' post on absence of disbelief in response to first problem. Added link to SimplyNoise for example of colored noise. In first tip, changed "state" to "state of mind" for clarity and added link to this post. Added suggestion to sing together.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You know, I was thinking of some things to suggest as I was reading this, but by the time you got to the end, you'd covered every single thing I was going to suggest. I think this is great for Tips & Tricks as is. The only flaw I can see is the broken link in the changelog, and that doesn't affect the actual guide.

just so ya know your profile pic means water

I know. :)

The name of my first account on this site meant water, so the two went together. I stopped using that account because it was connected to my email, and I didn't want people to google my email and find this, but I kept the same pic so that everyone here would know I was the same person under a different name.

Though now that you point it out, I've had this account for over a year now, and everybody who would remember my old account knows who I am by now. I'm probably due for a change.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson