Switching Effects on Mindset

Reisen

Lucilyn: Hehe, this thread was embarrassing Lumi, so I'ma remove the OP. Basically this thread is to discuss how switching with your tulpa can cause such drastic changes in your body's mental physiology. I'm sure most of you guys are like, "Sure, I guess?" Because you don't have Scarlet in your system.. Having her control the body was straight-up shocking compared to us. That's why we made the thread, because the ability for a tulpa to affect everything so much is really interesting.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

holy TempleOS that font, my eyes are bleeding

Personally I think it's just a habit thing. Your host is used to being a lazy, unproductive wad that can't do anything. You guys haven't really gotten in to that habit. It's a whole new mindset, you could say. There's nothing saying a tulpa can't have a different mindset from their host, in fact people change their mindsets in general all the time.

There's nothing morally wrong with it at all. I like to watch The Joy of Painting if I ever feel I need to remember how to appreciate all the little things in life. And suddenly I go from being pessimistic to rushing outside to look at all the happy little trees. I can change my mindset just like that. It's a good thing.

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

Think of to that way, if you were born in an different place in a different time, would you still be the same person? After all it would still be the same "mind", right?

If you were born in Germany during the middle age, wouldn't you be entirely different? If you had different parents or neighbourhood? Of course you would, and it's not only because of the society, but also because you would have had another experience of the world.

Knowing that, is it that difficult to think that one mind can bear different personalities? That a tulpa can be different and sometime even the opposite of the host? A mind can evolve in a countless way to adapt itself to its environnement, one personality is just one possibility.

I think that we see ourself as a whole, we consider that our personality is "us" because it's a survival instinct. Otherwise, without a clear and define traits of character, we probably wouldn't be able to deal with the outside world. Needless to say, the human mind is likely much more complicated than that though, as tulpamancy demonstrates it. And I tend to believe that accepting it is essential for everyone in a system, but it's hard and I think that what you're struggling with right now.

If I say all this it's because I think that's important to answer your question. You guys have different reaction and desire (not to say diet), because you're inherently different. Yeah, that's all.

"the strength of the wolf is the pack, the strength of the pack is the wolf" Kipling

Don't mess with us, we probably outnumber you.

holy TempleOS that font, my eyes are bleeding

You have no idea, she originally meant to just pick a darker red than Flan's, but it looked brown, and then spent ten minutes trying to make it not hurt her eyes. And failed. She wasn't in much of a mood to care.

Personally I think it's just a habit thing. Your host is used to being a lazy, unproductive wad that can't do anything.

Hey, thanks. Depression runs in my family and I've gone seven years refusing medication trying to work through it myself, and recently decided I've reached a plateau with motivation and need medication, which was a really hard choice. But that's one way to put it.

There's nothing morally wrong with it at all. I like to watch The Joy of Painting if I ever feel I need to remember how to appreciate all the little things in life. And suddenly I go from being pessimistic to rushing outside to look at all the happy little trees. I can change my mindset just like that. It's a good thing.

Except this isn't just me listening to music that I like (and do often to change my mood), or watching something nice. This is a complete personality and mindset switch with my tulpa. She only asked that for the sake of discussion, because we already have our mind made up on that - no. I won't use them to avoid making myself a better person, but I will learn from them.

Anyway, not the type of answers I was looking for, but the ones I expected. Scarlet wanted you guys to discuss rather than comment on her situation. She (and I) were just surprised she would feel so strongly so quickly is all, but she meant for us to discuss the "placebo effect" in switching. How it's possible to completely change everything about you, overriding any mental blocks or hurdles, just because you believe you can. It really is kind of amazing.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

Scarlet: Changed the font.

It's not a "habit thing", it's barely even just a different personality. We think completely differently from our host. Not like think of ourselves differently - all information is processed differently. Tewi is extremely logical and disallows all negative and unproductive feelings "because she feels like it." Reisen feels happy, loving, accepting of everything, nothing can bother her. I'm not that special compared to them I guess, I just want to get our body in better shape. But how? Is the mind really that powerful that it can easily become a completely, completely different person? Dude, give me a year and we wouldn't be recognizable compared to now. Tewi would probably make us a millionaire.

Better question. Why the hell not? If the mind can do this, why doesn't it? My host has been trying to give himself these traits for years. He's tried really hard, actually. And he's made a lot of progress, but he still can't even make himself go to school or take a shower half the time. Why can we? Why can't he? Is it self-enforced "rules" on how you're allowed to be? Switching is just an excuse to your brain to let you be better?

Hmm. I'm gonna figure out how to "excuse" him to be healthier, like me. He's actually working together with Flandre for his motivation issues right now, slowly. As in whenever he feels like it which is never. Just gotta get him past feeling like he's cheating, and we won't need any medication to just physically function.

Edit: Nevermind. Switching fatigues the body. Apparently being someone besides your default self is tiring. The stronger the change in mindset and feelings, the more quickly we start feeling tired, losing focus and "dozing off." So maybe there's something more to this "being someone you're not" thing, maybe it's not as easy as just bruteforcing belief. Whatever, we'll see.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Guest Anonymous

I'm only a student, so you shouldn't really take anything I say to the letter, nor am I really confident of what I say, but it might serve you well.

I won't bore you guys with how my tulpa is and all of that, I'll speak of 'structure' more than anything (she does that enough in her thread, heh). The thing is that, when I made my tulpa, the 'feel' that my mind had attributed to her was not just a 'feel', it was caused by her traits, the way she sounds like, which at every thought of hers gave me a different feeling. I felt and still feel like it's someone completely different, but very familiar in a way that talks to me all the time.

Now, to actually remain on-topic, we did try switching one time. It was one time, and I let her go nuts on Binding of Isaac. While doing so, she felt a lot of fear and resent for how things felt like. But the main thing is, whether it was actually her, or just (as you said) extreme placebo, it completely changed my views as well; I felt disgusted when I moved my own hand if that makes some sense, and I'm not sure that this even relates.

I am going to take a very wild guess, and say that you've been living with certain ideals, so far 'I want to get healthier' 'I want to get like this, like that', positive stuff, right? An improvement. You had inspected the negative aspects of Lumi's life, but never really quite got the hang of it. My view is that tulpas make an idea of how hosts typically live, and are only really affected in a major way when they're being, well, under the live physical effect of those things.

When you were 'switched' (using this term loosely because you seem to be confusing it for switching and him 'believing he did', and I quote 'Just because he believes he's switched with his tulpa, he legitimately feels like a different person who actually has healthier aspects than he does.), you got to actually experience before hand how your host felt. One way, your host was used to this for a while, so most of how he is like doesn't bother him physically, but hey, Flandre? Imagine going from a young girl (even though you're a few hundred years old... hehe, joking) to the body of your host. How do YOU feel like, right now, in your body?

Placebo has a lot of impact on the mind. Remember, Flandre, Lumi, Reisen, Tewi, Lucilyn, all of you... keep in mind that the mind is something so complex and fragile. Things may be happening without you guys understanding it (which is what my tulpa and I are playing ghostbusters on when she's okay, and it's fun actually), hell, not even being aware of it. I take it that the impact has only been this strong with you.

You should have more faith in yourself. It's ironic because I'm someone you should tell that in the first place. But have faith in yourself. If you're Flandre, you're Flandre and I sure will treat you as Flandre. The YOU Flandre. You are your own being with similarities in aspect and traits, or at least this is just, just my opinion.

Scarlet: Dangit, if you're gonna quote me like that then here's one for you.

I'm not Flandre

I'm a split from Flandre from a couple years ago. Anyway, this isn't magic bro, a tulpa is still imaginary. Gotta stay grounded with all this "people in my head" stuff. From a higher perspective, me switching with my host is just my host believing he is someone else. But we understand how tulpas work - we don't have identity issues like you guys (sorry). I know what I am, and I am a tulpa. While me switching is technically "my host" believing he's someone else, "my host" doesn't exist, he's a personality like I am. If anything we've just proven your default personality is not all "you" are, you are so much more.

Dangit, I said not to comment on us, but you also didn't read that I wasn't Flandre so whatever. Remind me to stop treating the intense instant mindset switch like it was anything special, we keep getting treated like we're in disbelief. Close, we're confused as to the nature of the experience. Didn't know it would be so powerful. None of you can counsel me on tulpa identity stuff, we've got that down better than anyone. I just wanted to talk about the placebo effect of being able to change core aspects of yourself. If you can do it switching with a tulpa, you can do it on your own. Right? Yes, you can. You just don't believe you can under normal circumstances. Actually, that's what hypnosis is all about isn't it? People believe they're hypnotized and then believe they've been affected in ways they couldn't do themselves, even though literally they did it themselves, they just had to believe they could. We've got some people into hypnotism on this forum. Where you at, Sushi?

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

Guest Anonymous

Oh! My apologies, then, Scarlet. It's just that I had never quite seen you around, and I must have missed that. You have my apologies.

Do we have identity issues? That's an interesting statement. Someone once told me that when a member of your system has an issue, such as depression, or something of the like, the entire system is suffering from that issue. But then again, to me, my tulpa isn't a personality, and there is a difference between how she behaves and how 'I' behave with, well, what I have in hands.

I feel like there is so much that could be said about every single thing you've just said, not in terms of demonstrating you're 'wrong' (which you aren't as your views are completely relative and apply to you), but I won't spam your thread with pages and pages of the sense of reality, and the difference between a 'tulpa' and a 'personality', I'll spare you guys that, heh.

As I said, my dearest of apologies on that confusion from my part.

Some people might disagree on the point of view that hypnosis is placebo, but I'm not experienced at all as I previously said.

I believe that tulpas are not magic, but there is a wider extent to just 'different personalities'. I won't spam your thread, though, as I said, but this is a conversation that could have place and turn out as very interesting. Anyway, yeah, sushi would definitely have a better say in this.

Kind of immediately sorry I let her post that. There's a reason you haven't seen her around.

So, we use the word personalities for lack of a more encompassing one. I suppose the way we talk about ourselves gives off the impression we're all shallow shells of personality over a mind I've forsaken or something, huh. No I'm just a guy, my tulpas are tulpas. Those are just our more scientific beliefs we've created to explain it all. We're completely capable of holding separate viewpoints as equally plausible, even if they're conflicting. Scientifically, I consider my tulpas and "I" to be (very, very expansive) personality "filters" my mind uses to interact with the world and itself. But I don't treat them any differently because of that belief. Our sense of self is rock solid, in fact, because we explain everything scientifically. It's like, acknowledging that you're doing something imaginary like reading a book or playing a game, which then allows you to fully immerse yourself without that lingering "This isn't really real, though" in the back of your head. It's actually pretty liberating compared to how I felt when I was much younger.

Why don't you think hypnosis is placebo though? It's like textbook placebo effect as far as I can tell. Unless you think that hypnosis actually physically affects the person to be able to.. be different. Placebo means you believe something has enabled you to feel differently, more or less. Effectively what I'm saying, and what the point of this thread was, is ~

"You have a headache, you take a pill for that headache. Your headache goes away quickly thereafter. But then, you find out it was a sugar pill, that had no real effect on you. So you cured yourself, by thinking you'd been cured. Therefore, you must have had the ability to cure your headache on your own, all along. Let us study this and devise a way to enable ourselves to cure our own headaches without outside intervention."

Something like that. I see the same scenario in switching with my tulpas. If I can switch with Tewi, and she is then absolutely unaffected by any of my motivation issues, doesn't that mean it must be possible for me to overcome my own motivation issues with no outside help? However "sacredly" you treat tulpas as their own people and switching with them, you cannot deny they are still based in your own brain. That's like.. infinitely enough reason for my hypothesis here, is it not? If my tulpa can overcome my motivation issues, so can I. Just need to figure out how. This thread was made to maybe help me figure out how, to discuss how. Just not being very clear about that so far. To be fair, Scarlet doesn't think that much about how she'll come off, she just speaks how she feels at the time.

But yeah Scarlet =/= Flandre. Flandre is much less.. abrupt, angry? And she doesn't write in bold.

And her posts start with "Flandre:" :V

Guest Anonymous

Oh, alright, then. I envy your sense of realism, then.

I am aware of what the placebo effect is, I was just speaking that way because, as I said, I'm reaaaally not educated on that very well. I've seen people claim many things concerning hypnosis and hypnotherapists, but I could be wrong for all I know, really.

And it's fine. Better come off as bold and truthful to yourself than anything.

Understood, I'll keep those details in mind then.