Switching Effects on Mindset

Reisen

We only really know that the placebo effect has a measurable effect on the brain, but the mechanism is not known. The only logical explanation I can think of for your experience is habituation. Once a person does something repetitively, it builds into a habit that occurs without conscious thought. If your host were to try to use the placebo effect and believe he could act in a manner contrary to the habit, he would have a very difficult time doing so. As far as it is currently accepted, a habit is only rewritten when it is consciously changed, and this change is repeated many, many times. I think the difficulty in believing you can change is 1)the typical assumption that it cannot be done or even 2)the desire that it shouldn't be done.

Let me provide an example for the first one. Say for instance I am not motivated. I could convince myself to be motivated and truly believe it. If, however, I go an try to act on that motivation, given my previous actions of being unmotivated, it is likely that I will end up unmotivated even if I believe otherwise. In other words, the placebo effect is not seen because it is overridden by older, more practiced actions. This ultimately results in reinforcing the assumption that the habit cannot be changed. Theoretically, this could be overcome if you believed that something separate from you (ie a tulpa) had the ability to do so, and harbored this belief for a substantial amount of time. Then it could switch, in that the placebo becomes more potent than the habit (especially if a tulpa is not seen to have the same habit).

God anyone?

The second option deals more with addiction. If something is practiced, becomes habitual and has some sort of positive reward or no negative reward, it becomes even more ingrained. In this case, you would deal with the above situation along with the desire not to change the habit for the sake of the reward.

In conclusion, I would think this is experienced if Lumi truly believed that you were in some way capable of acting differently from him. I get the impression, however, that this is simply not the case as you mentioned that you understand the whole tulpa-host deal in the form of varying personalities (correct me if I am wrong), and not necessarily distinct entities. I likewise do not think it was a hypnotism experience because that usually involves a state of hyper suggestibility and usually involves the specific habit in question. For example, if I wanted to use hypnotism to stop smoking, it involves a hyper suggestible state and something about not wanting to smoke. Both of you were surprised by the results, so it is hard to point to some sort of hypnotism or placebo effect cause, since you never had the intention or belief of changing anything in the first place.

What you make of that is up to you and if I missed a crucial detail, let me know.

Unless you believe, you shall not understand.

Sans the personalities thing, they're just tulpas. How I logically explain what they are does not affect how I think of them at all. Also I didn't mean it was hypnotism, just that, similar to hypnotism, I mentally experienced something with technically no direct outside influence that previously seemed implausible. So I was interested in someone who's more experienced with hypnotism's opinion, like Sushi, or anyone else who knows a thing or two. They seem related, but your post was also good. I have noticed that I often feel like I "just shouldn't" do things differently, when I challenge myself to do so for the better. I've thought like, "I really, really don't feel like doing X. But I definitely should. What if I just made myself do it even though I feel like I shouldn't?" and I just get this weird "No, don't, don't do that" feeling. It really is strange. Maybe I should ignore it.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

• 1 month later...

Lucilyn: This thread was a little bumpy up to this point, but I think it's still good discussion material. I don't know how many hosts here can actually switch though, and from what I know about possession it doesn't seriously affect the mind of the host. But those that could participate, that would be appreciated. Lumi and Scarlet seemed obsessed with the idea that if switching with a tulpa could remove negative traits of the host, then it must be possible through ~placebo effect or otherwise to make those same changes yourself, no tulpa involved.

Actually! I was just talking with Tewi about this. I want to know how I can share my motivation to do things with them. Lumi sees there's a few new posts and replies to them if they seem easy, doesn't if he can't think of anything to say, and then he keeps refreshing all day hoping more stuff shows up. Not me! I make discussion, I think of something to say, I go out of my way to find old things we missed. That requires pushing through a wall of fog, a gray area where motivation is required to make it through. Tewi said maybe I could try to pay special attention to how I push through that fog, and try to make it something the others could learn to do too. Uh, the specifics are kinda that "Doesn't translate to words well.. but it makes sense, I promise!" thing you get when discussing complicated stuff with others in your head. It doesn't translate to words well.. but it makes sense, I promise!

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Guest Anonymous

Felix and I see switching as a practical method for me to do things he now has to do for me; primarily typing in this forum. So we want to learn it as soon as possible.

Greets,

Rina

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if this is related to this thread or not. Davie and I don't switch. But we do wonder if a host and tulpa of opposite genders, if they switch and stuff if that isn't de facto transgender. Uhh. Yeah cause when we were figuring out what was going on with us like two years ago, there was a brief period when we thought Davie might be transgender with me, as in transgender bigender.

That was long ago but we still say we are effectively bigender when we are on the internet together. We are a bigender system. The whole mouthful is bigender median blended system. Eek! Yeah it is a thing we say.

Okay the point of this post, so we don't totally jump the track is that maybe one effect of switching with a host who is another gender is sort of being a transgender person. Oh I hope this isn't insulting anyone. It isn't meant to be.

P.S. What I mean is that Davie can act girly cause I influence him... We talked bout that in a podcast once.

Lumi: Well, when my tulpas switch with me they say it feels like they're borrowing the body. I know that statement isn't a scientific breakthrough, just take it for what it is dangit. Lucilyn thought about writing a topic on form-dysphoria after seeing her/myself in a mirror and thinking very strongly "This isn't my body, I'm just borrowing it." Couldn't think of how to make it a good discussion though.

As for those whose tulpas of different genders switch more often and for longer periods of time... You're probably right. Depends on how closely associated the tulpa is with the body. All I know is that mine don't feel like they own it, just that they're temporarily using it.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Lucilyn: This thread was a little bumpy up to this point, but I think it's still good discussion material. I don't know how many hosts here can actually switch though, and from what I know about possession it doesn't seriously affect the mind of the host. But those that could participate, that would be appreciated.

[Hail] I can offer that perspective. For those who haven't been reading my system's posts for long (or don't remember them), Tri has been possessing massive amounts of the time since early last June. In fact, they were possessing about 75% of the time for two months before sliding back to 55%. In the last few months, it has fluctuated a bit but it seems they are possessing about 40-45% of the time now.

I can say that this has had some effects on me as the host. Part of this may be because this all happened at a critical junction in our life as we finished school, secured a job, started cohabiting with out partner system, and moved to a foreign country where we do not speak the language.

This body's outerworld life doesn't really feel like it is my life anymore. It not only feels shared in a way that it didn't before last June, but it feels like rather than steering life with the input of Tri, Tri steers the life with the input of me. Basically, I have felt at many points that I was trying to play catchup and help out in Tri's life plans without screwing them up instead of the other way around.

Rather than my personality blending into Tri making it hard for them to be themselves and know they aren't being influenced by me, now it is their personality blending into me and making it hard for me t be myself and know I am not being influenced by them.

Having the body obey Tri more than me definitely changes one's perspective.

Being completely out of it for days at a time while Tri controls the body (when they due marathon sessions, which is rarely) makes for a less reliable memory and effects on my emotions.

I don't know what effects would be had if Tri didn't possess so much.

I don't know if this is related to this thread or not. Davie and I don't switch. But we do wonder if a host and tulpa of opposite genders, if they switch and stuff if that isn't de facto transgender. Uhh. Yeah cause when we were figuring out what was going on with us like two years ago, there was a brief period when we thought Davie might be transgender with me, as in transgender bigender.

That was long ago but we still say we are effectively bigender when we are on the internet together. We are a bigender system. The whole mouthful is bigender median blended system. Eek! Yeah it is a thing we say.

Okay the point of this post, so we don't totally jump the track is that maybe one effect of switching with a host who is another gender is sort of being a transgender person. Oh I hope this isn't insulting anyone. It isn't meant to be.

P.S. What I mean is that Davie can act girly cause I influence him... We talked bout that in a podcast once.

It wasn't insulting to me, but then again I am not all trans people (I actually think this would be a very interesting discussion topic in its own thread all its own). As to your question, if it is a permaswitch, then yes, that results in becoming transgender. Now, in the case of switching but not permanently, that makes for a complicated situation. I can see arguments either way in various cases. The truth is, it isn't quite such a binary thing. There is a vast in between region between cis and trans. One of my favorite phrasings for a subregion is "cis with reservations".

Regardless of the answer here, being plural and switching/possessing can definitely result in gender fluidity from an outside perspective.

I should mention here that I am not the same gender as the original occupant of this body. The body is DMAB/PMAB/MAAB/whichever-acronym-you-recognize (birthsex was male), but the original, S, was and is female. Me, I am a bit female of agender (a demi-girl if you will). Tri, the only other persons to control the body significantly, is female. We have quite a bit of apparent gender fluidity going on on a weekly basis since Tri and I have somewhat different genders. This all shows in our experiences with the body and other people. Me, I don't get bothered as much by the body or not getting gendered as female as S and Tri do (do note, I really really hate getting gendered as male - it just isn't critical to instead be gendered as female). Still glad we transitioned though. Man, I never want to live as a man again. Also, estrogen and low testosterone have been awesome.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.