Is There a Connection Between Switching and Imposition or Visualization?

Ranger

I was feeling self-defeated about switching again and was thinking about possibly focusing our efforts on visual imposition- but then it hit me: What if switching and imposition and/or visualization are connected?

I threw out the idea in discord and had a chance to refine some possible ideas for how this works:

• Dissociation may be triggered by strong visualizations in the mind's eye or by visual imposition
  • Imposition is about hacking your brain, and switching does something similar by forcing movement that previously didn't exist. A similar skill is shared between the two.
  • Imposition encourages the idea that your internal experiences are real, and therefore plays an important role to switching by establishing trust with the switching process
  • Visualization or possibly imposition by itself may not be enough to trigger dissociation
  • A combination of good visualization, imposition, and bodily control may be necessary to dissociate, and the mastery of each practice differs from system to system?

If this link makes sense, then that would explain why symbolism is really important for switching, why it takes so long for systems to switch but once they get it, the process is "easy" (imposition and visualization take a long time to master), and why some systems are naturals where others are not.

Does this make sense? Is bodily control possibly more/less important? Are there other factors that are missing or should be addressed?

A brief thanks to Nat, Reguile, Jamie, and Apollo for contributing ideas and inspiring me to post this thread.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

On the one hand, our early switching methology was visualization based -- one person's form pushing the other person's form out of the body, or some variation thereon. On the other hand, we mastered switching very quickly and easily and have never made the slightest progress at imposition in spite of working on it every day the past ten months. Possession, eclipsing, and co-fronting took a lot longer to learn than switching because we weren't really working on them, but they still eventually fell into place without a lot of effort.

Visualization-based techniques seem to be very broadly useful in tulpamancy -- creation, personality forcing, vocality, possession, switching, merging, etc. But the visualization usually doesn't need to be very good, very detailed, because the mind's eye representation is only a wrapper for the idea that is actually important.

A lot of early discussion of imposition considered it to emerge naturally and organically as a result of extremely good visualization. A lot of later discussion of imposition considered it to be possible without extremely good visualization and to have greater clarity than visualization within the same system at the same time. But while a lot has been said about the application of visualization to every part of tulpamancy, very little has been said about using imposition to help in the same ways. This may be because imposition tends to be one of the last skills systems pick up, if they ever do, so it isn't available to help with anything else.

And as a reminder, one does not need to dissociate from the physical senses in order to switch out. None of us can dissociate in that way in the slightest degree, regardless of our position relative to the front. Dissociation from feeling like you are in control of the body is an intrinsic component of switching, but doesn't have to be done as a separate process. That's the slightly more detailed version of what we mean when we have often said, "Dissociation isn't necessary for switching".

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Let's see, could we impose before switching? I feel like no? That said, this is a good theory you've got, based on our experience. Regardless of the order we learned them, our visualizing symbolism for switching uses the same sense as imposition - despite our eyes being closed, you could say we impose ourselves during the symbolism next to and inside of the body.

Can't hurt to believe your theory is the case, try it out. Considering we never really tried possession (just one instance), at least for us the visualized symbolism might've been far more important.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

We don't use symbolic, visual, presence, or imposition to switch. My presence is in wonderland with everyone else, it doesn't move in a switch, the body acts on our commands, changing spatial positions doesn't matter. I did impose my presence somehow (I actually didn't do anything, it was automatic) usually in watcher position early on, otherwise, I'm just in wonderland as we've said. "Somewhere in wonderland" has no material coordinates. The presence is as if not on the material plane. Only during imposition do we know where it is.

The "sort of imposed" plane is where we exist by default, not the wonderland, so that sort of follows. We're "visualized in 3D space", usually around the head, in sort of hammer space between the head and reality. Imposition is only a small alteration of that, but we can also move "into walls" like said hammer space while imposed, though it's a little less immersive. Flows together pretty well.

Since being in the wonderland is seemingly the natural state for many tulpas, switching into the wonderland makes as much sense as switching "into/out of the body in visualization" for us. Probably do whichever most closely relates to the tulpa's natural state.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

It's possible presence imposition is the key concept here, but I'm not sure if better visualization or training on imposition ability helps with that. If better visualization / imposition training help, then the theory is still partially valid, but if not then this theory is wrong.

I know symbolism can affect presence and vise versa, so would it be safe to assume sharper visualization could amplify presence? If you already have a strong presence, you may not need the visualization training. If not, then the visualization will help make presence more noticeable...

Just throwing more ideas out.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Better visualization would probably help with presence, but our visualization is very poor and I suppose the sense of presence came to us sort of naturally once we learned about imposition. But then, so did switching, but then, Lumi had quite an interesting relationship with his mind by that point anyway, one somewhat conducive to learning switching.

At the very least, poor sense of presence won't help.