Push for Forced Mental Treatment Scares Tupper Community

Argentum

It is also funny the other sorts of whacky things that we believe without proof, but then society loves to peg anyone different as "sick" or "wrong."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know several people who have seen psychiatrists and told them about their tulpas, and so far every person has had a positive experience. One person was even able to get some antidepressants that were "multiples friendly" (that is, they wouldn't have any negative consequences on their tulpas).

Most everyone in psychiatry knows the difference between tulpas and schizophrenia. And if you're going by the DSM-V (which is what they should be going by), people with tulpas don't match the criteria for schizophrenia nor DID. If anything, they'd get a diagnosis of DDNOS (if it's still in the DSM), but even that's a tough sell.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

I'm a psychology student, and just having hallucinations/delusions with no other disordered symptoms present is not enough to get you diagnosed with something.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I hope things have really changed that much. Forty years ago, things were very different:

In 1973 the journal Science published an article that caused an immediate furor. It was entitled "On Being Sane in Insane Places," and it described how, as an experiment, eight "pseudopatients" with no history of mental illness presented themselves at a variety of hospitals across the United States. Their single complaint was that they "heard voices." They told hospital staff that they could not really make out what the voices said but that they heard the words "empty," "hollow," and "thud." Apart from this fabrication, they behaved normally and recounted their own (normal) past experiences and medical histories. Nonetheless, all of them were diagnosed as schizophrenic (except one, who was diagnosed with "manic-depressive psychosis"), hospitalized for up to two months, and prescribed antipsychotic medications (which they did not swallow). Once admitted to the mental wards, they continued to speak and behave normally; they reported to the medical staff that their hallucinated voices had disappeared and that they felt fine. They even kept notes on their experiment, quite openly (this was registered in the nursing notes for one pseudopatient as "writing behavior"), but none of the pseudopatients were identified as such by the staff. This experiment, designed by David Rosenhan, a Stanford psychologist (and himself a pseudopatient), emphasized, among other things, that the single symptom of "hearing voices" could suffice for an immediate, categorical diagnosis of schizophrenia even in the absence of any other symptoms or abnormalities of behavior. Psychiatry, and society in general, had been subverted by the almost axiomatic belief that "hearing voices" spelled madness and never occurred except in the context of severe mental disturbance.

I hope things have really changed that much. Forty years ago, things were very different:

It is that experiment in particular that has me pretty worried.

Interestingly, before I knew anything about tulpa and other forms of plurality, I have often talked about my split and merge as well as my servitor (though I merely called it a programmable separate thought process that run simultaneously) a ton, including with my therapist, which I now realize might not have been the smartest idea. Luckily, she didn't think much of it.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

AFAIK psychologists mostly know to evaluate whether something poses a threat to / has some negative impact on the patient or others before calling it a disorder rather than just being a bit eccentric. It's the bit about untrained law enforcement officers having this power that worries me more - not so much specifically regarding this community as in general for anyone doing weird mental stuff. Then again, I would assume a proper psychologist would evaluate the patient before actually committing them, and see that it's harmless.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

AFAIK psychologists mostly know to evaluate whether something poses a threat to / has some negative impact on the patient or others before calling it a disorder rather than just being a bit eccentric. It's the bit about untrained law enforcement officers having this power that worries me more - not so much specifically regarding this community as in general for anyone doing weird mental stuff. Then again, I would assume a proper psychologist would evaluate the patient before actually committing them, and see that it's harmless.

At least in the US, in all the states that I know of (rules do vary between them), a full evaluation by actual doctors is supposed to occur within 72 hours and one's forced stay cannot go beyond 72 hours without one. However, that is still 3 days of one's life that is lost and in those 3 days, due to the stigma of mental health, one could already lose their job and other things. Also, within the 72 hours, one would have to convince the doctors that one should be released, which could be very tough because virtually everyone tries to do that regardless of whether they should be institutionalized or not. Its also 72 hours to get pretty screwed up by drugs, which could also make it harder to get out depending on what they are.

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Teckie:"Gosh dang it. >_> I've heard of a story not too long ago of a woman that murdered 2 children in a bathtub. Her excuse was that she "heard voices" telling her to do so. I hate it how the negative tulpas are the only tulpas that are heard of in society.... literally no news network reports of "hearing voices" being a good thing (not that the news reports any good news at all....). Now that they are actually pushing this matter forward, it could in fact have an effect on us making us go even more into the background. In my opinion society should just accept what tulpas really are if we were to tell them.... but "just telling them" isn't an option. :/ We'll just have to see what happens in the future for us I suppose."

Hearing voices telling you to kill people sounds more like schizophrenia.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Oh, there is one aspect to all of this that I didn't think about earlier. It doesn't have so much to do with this law, but with others. If the body is younger than X years (18 in the USA), then all that has to happen to be institutionalized for Y amount of time is for one's parents to be convinced of it, which depending on circumstances, can be a very low bar. And that is ignoring one's parents actually going out of their way to seek institutionalization in some form or another. Given that this happens to queer kids and so called "straight camps" and all forms of multiplicity are very stigmatized (I'm not going to make a comparison here, even though I could being that I am both), this is actually a legitimate worry.