Possession by Yuki

Shouldn't a guide be backed up by experience rather than bold claims?

No.

A guide should be judged on how well presented it is, and whether it works. "Consider the source" is a logical fallacy.

Before I ever came here, I knew all about tulpas. I first heard about them on a forum where people talked about mind control rays, and how the president was a reptilian shapeshifter. I read about them in books by people who believed that pyramid power could keep razors sharp, and that thoughts influence reality. If you don't believe me, you can check my sources. The truth is, everybody -- regardless of their reputation -- will get some things right and some things wrong. We must judge what they say on what they say, not who they are.

For all I know, the OP had a dream about possession and was inspired to register here and post this without even knowing what tulpas were. Stranger things have happened. And it wouldn't matter, so long as the guide is clear, and the method works.

You did bring up one interesting issue though:

I don't think this guide does much more than restate minor details of what better possession and switching guides state.

In 1889, Lewis Carroll suggested (rather fancifully) erasing every recorded thought except in the sentence where it is best expressed.

Most libraries would be terribly diminished in bulk. But just think what they would gain in quality!

In the end, he concluded that there was no chance of it happening anytime soon. It would be an incredible undertaking, especially as people would continue to write more as you were doing it. And of course it's a matter of opinion what's better.

Someday, perhaps, the GAT might remove guides that have been eclipsed by newer and better guides, or become redundant, or been shown to be less effective than other guides in a scientific study. But that's outside our scope at the moment.

As it stands, I believe that some people will prefer this guide to the others out there. And that's reason enough to keep it.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't approve of guides if there already is an almost identical copy in message approved already. We will compare the two guides to see if they can compliment each other (both can be approved) or if one is superior (the better one will stay approved). We're supposed to decide which it is - and if you do think that some guides are redundant, you're free to let us know so we can take another look. Sometimes we will forget about the old ones, so if you remember or just recently read it and think it's similar to another approved one, please let us know.

It's kind of less of an issue now when we get so few guides, but we definitely did do our best when we had to sort the huge backlog. You can always tell us if you think there has been a mistake so we can re-open it and possibly change the verdict.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

As for what Linkzelda said about possession and switching... I'm afraid I really have no idea what you're talking about. They definitely are connected in a way and I even made a picture talking about it, but it's still easy to say when switching starts and when it's still "just" possession. Is host so disconnected from senses that they can ignore it and decide to see and feel what they want? If yes, congratulations, you're switching! If not... Well, you're still possessing, but you might be on your way to a switch. My number 1 tip for learning to switch is to get good at possession.

The link you’ve shown that I’ve seen other people use as an example is just more of a testament of the gray areas, i.e., the point between possession and switching in the scale shown in your link. Maybe when I talked about shifting awareness completely (switching) vs. still retaining some awareness (e.g. passive awareness; possession), it was a bit confusing, I guess. But my statements were to show that the reader can easily see this as a precursor to learn switching, but it’s still a possession guide of course.

I think this is good, because newcomers, and anyone trying to attempt this can see them as interconnected rather than absolutely dichotomous from each other, but still distinguishable based on the definitions...weird duality, I know. Same as your notion of practicing possession first to learn how to switch, just interpreted differently.

A solid introduction and followed up with good details.

Approved.

"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard

Anything I would have to say about this guide has already been said, aside from that I really don't see a problem with the sentence structure like sushi pointed out. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me, but whatever ends up being higher quality I'd be having to go with. It's a pretty good guide overall.

Approved for Guides.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

All these things, too long to quote, wow

Well, if people are trying to claim that the gray area where the host isn't disconnected enough is switching then I guess people are just using my words in a way I never meant for them to use. But they definitely are connected and hey, if we agree on that then I guess we agree on the basic idea.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Well, if people are trying to claim that the gray area where the host isn't disconnected enough is switching then I guess people are just using my words in a way I never meant for them to use.

Other way around, possession; potentially on their way to switching if one goes further.

--

Approved for Guides.

That works, that's definitely how I see it based on my experiences at least. Seems like I'm not the only one either, so I doubt I'm a special case.

Yeah, I agree with most of what's been said above. It's a good guide, and certainly welcome given that there are now no other possession guides here. For that reason there's obviously no concern about duplication. So I approve.

>>and to respect each other's wishes and limits.

Wow, great advice.

>>Worrying and doubting is cancerous to the learning process, so try to stay observant and optimistic.

Could be frontloading and is a bit hostile considering the connotations of the word cancerous. Encouraging belief is fine but persecuting (for lack of a better word) nonbelief isn't

>>If you're bothered by doubts or worry during the process, belief implanting might be helpful. It can help you get rid of the doubts that are limiting you, and make the process easier through positive reaffirmation. It can also be helpful with learning other tulpa related skills, or improving yourself in any area of your life. Belief implanting is detailed in Fede's guide.

Feel free to reference another guide in passing, but this part seem unnecessary here to me. (Move it to the end?)

All in all it seems like a mature and well-written guide even if I got the impression that the author's personality bled through a bit too much (Not necessarily a bad thing, personal taste etc.)

Do try to write the guide so that someone who is frustrated and doubting won't feel put off by it, that's one reason guides exist.

I have nothing but minor complaints along with deserved praise, Approved for guides.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HumbleGlow
      If you don't know yet, possession means that a tulpa controls the host's physical body.

Why/When should we start to work on possession?

If you've decided already that you want to do possession, you can skip over this section.

In early 2012, possession was a hypothesis. Some crazy people thought that it might be possible for a tulpa to control their host's physical body. Now, about a year later, I find myself recommending training possession to vocal tulpa who can converse with their host (at least in mindvoice). Some people even do possession before vocality, but I recommend that you have a stable mode of communication with your tulpa before you start on possession.

But why should one do possession?

If there's still any doubt in you whether your tulpa is real, get him/her/it to move your finger, and feel the doubt being wiped away in an instant.
      Possession training is a great bonding opportunity for both the host and the tulpa. And it's very rewarding especially for those hosts with weak visualization, who have trouble working on their tulpa in the wonderland (like me in the beginning).
      Possession is one of two ways for a tulpa to interact with the physical world (the other being imposition), and in fact the only way for a tulpa to truly interact with other people in the physical world.
      Especially when compared to imposition, possession can be achieved ridiculously fast. For us, it was five days from zero to full-body possession.
      The tulpa grows on the experience, both in mental strength (e.g. thought autonomy and parallel processing) and terms of maturity (because with great power comes great responsibility).
      Possession is safer than most people think. Of course, it requires some trust in the tulpa, but especially in the beginning, the host can break the possession easily if he's not comfortable with what the tulpa does. Also, the subconscious has separate protection so the tulpa cannot hurt the body purposefully.

The guide

This guide is based on the guide by Oguigi and Koomer. It's what I currently consider to be the standard method for possession. Go read that if you haven't yet. I'm waiting here.

Now there is one thing that keeps confusing people, and I hope to clear this up and show you how to incorporate this knowledge into the method. It's already hinted at in Oguigi/Koomer's guide, but now, I'm gonna spoon-feed it to you because it's really a key aspect of possession.

When a host and tulpa start working on possession, sooner rather than later, they'll get to the point where the tulpa is able to take control of some bodypart (a hand, or an arm, or a leg) and move it. But the movement is very slow: Lifting the arm from a table will take minutes, up to even half an hour. And the movement is twitchy: Instead of gaining a steady momentum, the arm stops after a few millimeters, then, after some time, twitches to the next intermediate position a few millimeters farther, and so forth. The tulpa will furthermore find that this type of movement is very mentally exhausting for them.

So these people ask for advice from senior hosts, and hear that after some time, all of a sudden, the movements will become fluid.

Magic? Science!

What happens here? The slow, twitchy, uncoordinated movements are your tulpa playing QWOP with your body. (If you don't know that game, go play it now. I'll wait here.)

Not knowing any better, the tulpa tries to control every muscle individually. But that's not how one controls a human body (or any body, for that matter). When you walk around, you don't think about how to bend each joint at which time. You just set the direction, and find yourself walking shortly thereafter.

The mapping of intent to actual muscle movement is stored in your body's muscle memory. You might think that your tulpa might need to work on his/her own muscle memory to use your body effortlessly. But take another look at the first sentence in this paragraph. I did not say "your muscle memory". I said "the body's muscle memory".

The muscle memory is something that is separate from your own memory. It is not required to have granted the tulpa access to your memory for them to use your body's muscle memory. Or vice versa; in fact, I found that you will not need to give permission to use the body's muscle memory, since it's not distinctly your muscle memory, but the body's.

So how does the tulpa gain access to the body's muscle memory? This part is something that the tulpa really needs to figure out for himself/herself. A pretty reliable method is to have the tulpa observe the host throughout the day while he moves the body without paying any special attention to it (that is: through use of muscle memory). This probably requires sensory sharing (which means that the tulpa is use the host's physical senses), but then again, possession without sensory sharing is pretty pointless anyway.

Through this method, Philomena figured out my muscle memory within two days of observing me and reflecting on it. Overall, it took us five days to get from the decision to start with possession training to the first stable full-body possession.

Another thing worth noting is that the tulpa's body has its own sort of muscle memory. Especially for non-humanoid tulpas, it can be helpful to explicitly leave this muscle memory behind you when you possess your host's human body. (Fun fact: In a certain way, this also works the other way around. In my wonderland, I sometimes transform into a pony form, similar to my tulpas' forms. When I do so, I'm immediately able to move naturally because I can use the muscle memory built by my tulpas for their forms.)

Safety notices (please read completely)

Once the tulpa has the host body's muscle memory, and the host has trained to let go of his body, you can achieve very much possession very fast. I don't want to diminish your enthuiasm in any way. But please be cautious at first. Even with the muscle memory, the tulpa has to get used to controlling a physical body, doing things that it did not ever think about before, like blinking the eyes. Or breathing.

No, not being able to breathe is not what I'm warning you about. At this point, the possession will be so weak that the host will be able to break it effortlessly. So tulpas, don't be scared that you'll suffocate: Your host can free you any time, and restart breathing. Also, the muscle memory is especially strong in the lungs, so it will be easy for the tulpa to get the breathing going.

What I'm warning about: When possessing the full body for the first time, the tulpa will be so occupied with controlling every aspect of the it that she might honestly forget about anything else, like traffic on the street. This has actually happened to us. Luckily, I was watching out, and could stop Phi before she stepped on the street without looking. This is the host's duty during possession (until the tulpa grows comfortable with it).

With that in mind, happy possessing everyone!

Q&A

Send in your questions for this section!

Why is it difficult (as in: exhausting) for the tulpa to move muscles without using the muscle memory?

When you use the muscle memory, you're ordering the subconscious to move the muscles and joints into certain positions. For example, when you rest your hand on the desk, you tell your subconscious that, it uses the muscle memory to calculate which muscles need to be contracted how far, and then applies these positions and keeps them stable.

Now, your tulpa wants to move a finger without using the muscle memory. They will eventually find out which muscle to contract or relax, and the finger will start to move. But now, you have two opposing forces: the tulpa moving the muscle in one direction, and the subconscious trying to keep the muscle in the once-assigned position. One host reported that, at this point, it felt like his finger was manipulated by a puppet string. That's just how the tulpa's effort feels to the subconscious.

So the idea of the guide is essentially to set up the tulpa as an additional source of commands to the part of the subconscious that controls the muscle memory.

After my tulpa moved some bodypart without me looking at it, it felt like it was in a different position than it actually was. WTF?

This is just what I described in the previous answer: The tulpa works against the subconscious rather than with it, so the movement breaks the subconscious' sense of limb position. (Yes, that's a sense, too. The widely-quoted "five senses" are quite an understatement.)
    • By WastedMeerkat
      Ok, so I know this is my first post on this forum, but I've just created a resource that may prove useful to some. Pasted from my blog:

Original Blog Post

It's intended largely for use with tulpae who have not become fully vocal, but are at least somewhat effective when it comes to possession. I hope someone finds this useful!
    • By Abvieon
      Abvieon's Guide to Fast and Effective Tulpa Creation
      Backup link

Creating a tulpa doesn’t have to take a long time, and it doesn’t have to be filled with obstacles.

This guide’s main purpose is to help you create a tulpa relatively quickly while avoiding issues and roadblocks along the way. I have noticed many people giving up or progressing slowly with their tulpa’s development for reasons that can be remedied with just a bit of extra knowledge. My hope is that this guide will help that happen a little less often. 

A large part of what tends to cause slow progress in tulpa creation is incomplete knowledge of what you’re getting yourself into, or not enough preparation. Many people get preoccupied and distracted with things that could have been practiced before starting to create their tulpa, instead of afterwards. You will be encouraged to get some of the hardest parts out of the way before and soon after you start creating your tulpa, rather than stumbling through certain unnecessary aspects of trial and error later on in the process. You will preemptively build a strong mindset and foundation for your tulpa to grow from instead of piecing it together after you’ve already begun trying to get your tulpa to “come to life.” This guide is based on what I’ve learned from my own experiences and about 7 years of observations of what does and doesn’t work well for others.

A few things to keep in mind while reading this guide:

As you could probably tell due to its length, this guide is not for those who are looking for a quick and simple explanation of tulpa creation. It is meant for those who want to learn everything they can and don’t mind a lot of details. But don’t feel like you need to read it all in one go! You might ask “If this is a guide for fast creation, why is it so long? Seems ironic.” The answer is that fast tulpa creation comes with the tradeoff of plenty of preparation and learning beforehand. If you were looking for an easy shortcut, sorry, but this isn’t it.

Make sure you recognize the fact that there is no one universal set of steps required to create a tulpa. It is possible to successfully create a tulpa in several different ways. This guide does not focus on the very broad idea of simply creating a tulpa, but rather creating a tulpa in a way specifically for helping the process to go quickly and avoiding certain things that trip people up. Some of the instructions here are not required in general, instead only important to this particular method. Also, many of the things said here are based on personal opinions, experiences, and theories, so don’t come into this expecting pure objectivity, and recognize that things may work a little differently for you.

Most of this guide will be fairly structured and specific. There are a lot of people who feel lost without a specific framework to follow and this was written with those people in mind. If you are not one of these people and this level of structure is unnecessary for you, don’t feel compelled to follow these steps closely. Just take the bits and pieces that you feel are useful to you and mash them together in any way and any order you’d like.

This guide is newcomer friendly, and will cover information that those new to the concept of tulpas may not yet know. Whether you first learned about tulpas a day ago or a decade ago, you can make use of this guide.

---

This guide includes information on all of the following topics, and more:

What to consider before creating a tulpa
      Common concerns and fears about tulpas
      How to prepare your mind and life for a tulpa
      Visualisation
      Personality
      Mindscapes/wonderlands
      Narration
      Hypnosis
      Signs of sentience
      Vocality
      What to do if you seem stuck
      Parallel processing
      Possession
      Switching
      Imposition
      Tips for living life as a system
      Abvieon's Guide to Fast and Effective Tulpa Creation (1).docx
    • By Apollo Fire
      Possession Explained

“Possession” refers to a tulpa’s ability to control the physical body. To newer systems, it may seem like a daunting and difficult task to achieve. However, it is nowhere near as difficult or strenuous as some may make it out to be. Possession is actually one of the easiest things a tulpa can learn how to do. 

They key to possession lies not in the tulpa’s ability to grab control of the body, but in the tulpa’s ability to become the active thinker: controlling the stream of thought allows them to move the body just as easily as the host can, given they learn how to connect to it. If a tulpa can think, they can front. If they can front, they can possess.

First, before worrying about possession, you should wait until your tulpa is decently-developed. There is no rush to master this skill; be patient and take your time until your tulpa is ready, otherwise you will risk causing frustration and doubt. Wait until your tulpa is relatively strong and well-established in your mind, just to ensure you are not attempting this too soon in their creation. Give them a month or two to simply have time to develop themselves from creation, allowing their mind to grow and their sense of self to become more cohesive. Ensuring one’s tulpa is ready is highly important before attempting new feats, so they will not feel too overwhelmed or frustrated. Of course, it is possible to possess without them being very well-developed, but I would recommend working on just general growth before doing so.

Before beginning possession, one should understand what it implies, and what they should expect. Possession does not involve the host feeling like they have lost control or are locked out of the body in some way. In fact, possession feels pretty much the same as normal movement does to the host. There may be some slight differences in sensations experienced, like head pressure or a tingling feeling, but these are minor and nowhere near as extreme as feeling as though your body is no longer yours, or any similar expectations. This can only be caused by practicing dissociation, which is not required for the tulpa to control the body. Possession involves the tulpa moving, and since they move using the same body and mental functions as the host, it feels the same as it normally does to the host. 

When a tulpa possesses, it’s not that the body suddenly feels different or foreign, it’s that the thoughts behind the movement have changed. Somebody else’s conscious mind has become the most active and focused on the body, rather than the host’s. The host is still there, but the tulpa’s thoughts are louder and stronger. The host has mentally taken a backseat without actually “leaving” the body, just in the sense that they are not actively participating in thought as much as the tulpa is.

As such, the first step to learning to possess is simply learning how to think. The tulpa does not have to be vocal, but they should be, simply to ensure they are not limited in what they can do (if they are not vocal, focus on that before possession). The tulpa should practice narrating or speaking as often as possible, exercising their skill to be the active thinker. Their host could proxy their words onto a document or text chat, all the while not letting their own thoughts take over. Simply allowing the tulpa to speak and think on their own is of course useful to learning possession. The goal of this step is getting to the point where being the active thinker is no longer a challenge to the tulpa. This step may be completed naturally without even realizing it, but it is still important to be aware of. 

The second step is learning how to connect to the body, or “front.” This may be challenging to them at first, but with enough practice it becomes second nature. To do this, the tulpa must focus on the body and its senses. They should think about and tune into the sensory information incoming: the sights, the smells, the sounds, the feeling of the air and clothing on the skin, and any tastes they might experience. They can attempt putting themselves where their host is located mentally. They may do this symbolically by imagining their form moving there, and looking out through the eyes. Focus, however, is usually more effective than symbolism, so they should not rely on that as their only leverage for fronting. Simultaneously, the tulpa should try being the one doing all the thinking, to strengthen their position. By doing all of this, the tulpa is now “fronting.” This usually involves feeling as though the tulpa is in the same spot the host is in the brain, in a sense: looking out from the same point and hearing their thoughts originate from the same location. 

If the tulpa is the active thinker and is connected the senses, then they can control the body. All they have to do is move, as the host allows them to do so. Focus is key, as well as avoiding doubt. They can focus on particular body parts, such as the arms, and simply practice getting a hold of moving it. They can focus on controlling the body’s breathing, as well. Movements will end up becoming natural to the tulpa once they properly break into it, with no actual struggle involved. Any little movements that go on during this will belong to the tulpa, unless the host knows they were the one who did it. The tulpa should just allow themselves to move in whichever way they so desire, thus gaining a good grip over the body, leading the way to full-body possession (which is actually very easy to reach, nowhere near as difficult as many others would make it out to be). 

I recommend attempting vocal possession as a starting point to lead to controlling full-body. If a tulpa can easily speak in mindvoice (which they most likely can by now), then speaking with the body would be easy once they get started and have a bit of practice - and the host remembers that it won’t feel any different to them, since it’s the same body they’ve always spoken with. They can start off by the host speaking and encouraging the tulpa to jump in. As speaking involves more active thought than simply moving an arm, and the thoughts that occur are associated with the tulpa, they will be allowed for more easily breaking into the rest of the body and controlling it. Voice calls with other tulpamancers may be a good place to start, or simply going to an isolated place and speaking.

However, of course, all movements are helpful. So long as the tulpa does not limit themself with the thought of “I can’t do this” or “this is too difficult” and just move as they see fit, they will get full-body possession down in no time. It may even occur incredibly quickly if they simply go for it. There is really nothing inherently limiting a developed tulpa from full, strong possession other than their own mindset.

Once a tulpa can move the body, they should focus on strengthening their level of control and influence. They should assert themselves by focusing on their own thoughts, while overriding the host’s thoughts. They may find it helpful to focus on imaginary body parts their form has, such as wings or ears, or focusing on any sort of strange sensation that may come when they front, such as tingling. They should find things they associate with themselves, such as music they like, the way they move, or practically anything else. Simultaneously, they should avoid things that are associated with the host - this means not doing something that the host enjoys a lot, like watching a particular show.

It is highly likely that the host may unintentionally take the body back. They are used to it, after all. If something captures their attention, they will easily react to it instead of the tulpa. This may seem discouraging, but with enough practice and self-asserting the tulpa may eventually be able to respond to everything on their own and remain in control for as long as they like. Doing so takes practice and belief. They are sure to become better over time, perhaps without even noticing. If a tulpa is used to being the active thinker, then they might even accidentally take the front without anyone noticing until something gives them a reason to notice.

It is important to know that possession is a mutual agreement involving whose thoughts are the strongest and most active in your mind. It does not involve forcefully taking the body and rendering the host helpless to stop it. The only thing the host would have to do to stop it would be becoming the one doing the most thinking, which would not be very difficult. A tulpa is not going to be able to do anything the host does not want or allow them to do. Possession is highly beneficial to a tulpa as it allows them the ability to explore the world and themselves, find their own interests and passions, and grow as a person. It is not in any way a dangerous or risky experience unless the host allows it to be. The only way it could really be harmful is that the tulpa might become tired to some degree, or their thoughts might become blended with the host’s. If that’s the case, then taking a break for a while would do them good.

One final thing to note is that a lack of results can be highly frustrating and discouraging, and impair progress. To prevent this, a system can try clearing their head or meditating a bit before attempting possession. If they get too frustrated, they can take a break and try again later. Taking one’s time is important, to avoid getting bogged down by negativity. Overall, focus, practice, and patience are the three key elements to improving one’s possession skill.

Once a tulpa has learned to possess, the world is theirs. They have the potential to follow their dreams, explore their own interests, and experience life just like anyone else.

Step-by-Step Instructions

Hopefully by now you have a good grasp on the concepts of possession. Using this, you can begin to practice it with your tulpa. These instructions will be useful for perhaps the first few times you attempt it, and can be changed and expanded upon to fit your own individual needs as you progress and experiment.

1. Get into a relaxed state in a comfortable, distraction-free environment. This is optional, as you can entirely learn possession while doing basically anything else, but may be useful for the first few attempts so there is minimal stress.

2. Have the tulpa start talking. They can think about anything they want for as long as they want, without the host interrupting. They can just ramble aimlessly about whatever they wish. This is good for them becoming the active thinker in the mind, while the host passively listens and does not interfere.

3. The tulpa focuses on the body. They zero in on the five senses as well as they can, pay attention to the positioning of the body, and so on. Once they are adequately "looking out" in this way, they are fronting.

4. The tulpa applies their own thoughts to the body and begins to move. They can start small and build their way up to the full body. Nothing is holding them back from doing so, it may just take a bit of practice. The host remembers that movement is going to feel the same to them and they should not stress how it feels nor see it as a scary event, and the tulpa remembers that possession is easy. Once they have a good grasp on the body, they can use it however they wish (as long as the host allows them to) until they are tired or want to stop, as nothing is stopping them other than their own mindset - which, is hopefully one of self-assurance and knowing that possession is not at all a difficult feat.

The tulpa can apply these steps to future possession attempts, tweaking them as they see fit, and eventually fronting/possessing will become second-nature and not take any time at all to begin. You can attempt possession absolutely anywhere you are regardless of what you are doing - in class, at work, doing chores, playing games, studying, etc. Possession is as simple as thinking -> moving, which is something that doesn't require a full meditative trance, and is an easy yet rewarding concept for a developed-enough tulpa to learn.
    • By MiraMAX_Eto
      Hello, everyone (sorry for my english in advance). Me and Eto usually communicating through a hand possession. She can type or write 1-2 words in answer to a question, but not complete sentences or her thoughts. So i wanted to ask, if the reason for this is that she is not fully developed consciousnes, or there might be other reasons?