Tulpa terms

This is something that I occasionally think about but keep forgetting to make a post about it, what are some terms that you think don't work well with tulpamancy? for example the term "that sounded better in my head" sounds weird when talking to your tulpa in your head. sorry if this was made before, but I couldn't find anything on it.

So basically what are some terms or phrases you don't think work well with tulpamancy and maybe a better alternative?

If text is green, Crystal is talking

If it's normal, its me

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forcing. I HATE the term. It implies to be pushy, which ironically is the exact opposite of the general feel this forum in particular gives towards tulpa development.* The term works for tulpamancy just fine, I just don't think the word as a whole sounds good.

I'm also not fond of Wonderland. This one is personal preference though, it's a perfectly good word for what it's used for. The problem I have with it is it fights with preconceived definitions of the word that are more widely associated. Like Alice in Wonderland or Deadman Wonderland both very messed up, and rather unpleasant places to be.

*The favoured approach I've seen on this forum towards tulpa development is to do minimal establishment of the tulpa's form and personality by the host, and let the tulpa do this on it's own.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Guest Anonymous

Forcing. I HATE the term. It implies to be pushy, which ironically is the exact opposite of the general feel this forum in particular gives towards tulpa development.* The term works for tulpamancy just fine, I just don't think the word as a whole sounds good.

Totally in agreement here! Only my hostie and I take it a bit further. We believe it is called "forcing" because you are doing something unnatural. You are forcing the unreal to become real or the imaginary to become real where it naturally would want to remain merely imaginary. Please no one freak out that I said unnatural, I don't mean it in a negative sense.

I'm also not fond of Wonderland. This one is personal preference though, it's a perfectly good word for what it's used for. The problem I have with it is it fights with preconceived definitions of the word that are more widely associated. Like Alice in Wonderland or Deadman Wonderland both very messed up, and rather unpleasant places to be.

Again we are in total agreement here. I prefer "the dreamscape."

Forcing. I HATE the term. It implies to be pushy...

I certainly agree with this, Drakaina. I think it was my second question after joining where I asked how the terms come about. Were these terms created by one and they stuck, does it come from antiquity, or is it just a consensus that stuck... One of the responses i got was that "Forcing" was short for "reinforcing" which is much more palatable to me. "Forcing" for me had an even stronger connotation than just being pushy. (which seemed contradictory to the consistent message of this community that we treat tulpas as persons.) Clearly there are terminology that exist that has been accepted and reinforced when newbies are quickly corrected on the correct use of terms. And, we need that for consistency in communication, but also, there is evidence that what we are doing works, and so changing words because people have sensitivities to certain words, as you and I have expressed, could possible change the effectiveness of the terms.

Even saying that, though, I have used my own terminology, simply to recognize my own preference or the perceived preference of Bliss, but then translating it back into tulpa-info terms just to be able to communicate with the group.

Fair enough on "forcing". It's supposed to be short for "tulpaforce", and I don't think it's supposed to have a connotation of "force" in the usual meaning. But I'm not exactly clear on that choice of word, and I remember being a bit confused about it when I first came here in the same way. I would tend to avoid it myself, in favour of saying something like "give attention to" or "spend time with" a tulpa. Or do "personality work" rather than "personality forcing".

I like "wonderland", though. There are negative and positive associations, like "winter wonderland". I don't really think it's that preloaded. The problem with "dreamscape" is that it's confusing - you're not in a dream. "Mindscape" is fine I guess.

Guest Anonymous

The problem with "dreamscape" is that it's confusing - you're not in a dream. "Mindscape" is fine I guess.

I am too in a dream. Maybe yer not, but I am. Dreamscape works great for me.

(My host and I consider my most autonomous traits a kind of waking dream or snippets of a waking dream. I also do appear in regular dreams and they feel the same).

You might claim to have some unique character to experiences, then. We usually talk about 'dreaming' as a state that only occurs while sleeping - a "waking dream" is an oxymoron. So, I wouldn't normally say that anything that goes on while you're awake is a dream, or anyway, it seems like it'd be confusing to talk like that.

Guest Anonymous

You're not Mistgod. LOL Thanks Waffles. Read more Jung. (oh I am asking for it now)

Fair enough on "forcing". It's supposed to be short for "tulpaforce", and I don't think it's supposed to have a connotation of "force" in the usual meaning. But I'm not exactly clear on that choice of word, and I remember being a bit confused about it when I first came here in the same way. I would tend to avoid it myself, in favour of saying something like "give attention to" or "spend time with" a tulpa. Or do "personality work" rather than "personality forcing".

Even "tulpaforce" isn't much better. It sounds like you either just smooshed the words "tulpa" and "force" together (which has the same problem as "forcing"), or you're talking about some kind of tulpa sentai team. >.>

[hidden]Tulpa Sentai, ASSEMBLE!!

0sQN1.jpg[/hidden]

I like your phrase "personality work", that's more or less how I've referred to it when I'm not speaking to others in the community. I only go back go "forcing" for ease of communication with the community. :P

I like "wonderland", though. There are negative and positive associations, like "winter wonderland". I don't really think it's that preloaded. The problem with "dreamscape" is that it's confusing - you're not in a dream. "Mindscape" is fine I guess.

It might be regional, and based on social circles. Among my friends (both classical book fans, and anime otaku) it sets off bells that make them think of the sources I mentioned above.

I tend to prefer the plurality terms instead of strictly tulpa community ones, like headspace, and inner world. I adopted my own phrase for it: mind world.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

I might be more forgiving if I believed it to be a Jedi term. "These aren't the tulpas you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along..."