Ringgggg's somewhat-comprehensive foxgirl imposition log

ringgggg

(edited)

To those of you out there that may not know me, I've been practicing tulpamancy for around two years now. This PR summarizes of all the imposition-related experimentation I'm subjecting A3, my good friend and resident tulpa, to in an attempt to advance our knowledge about it (as well as have a record of all the potential accomplishments we'll land in the process). 

The thread is basically me just dipping my toes in the water and seeing what I can gather from all the guides users before me have published. Don't be afraid to drop by with some advice of your own whenever a new post on this thread comes around, or maybe you can gather a bit from it yourself, who knows?

Happy reading.

Hit the "Next Page" button to access additional resources.

Jargon Glossary:

• Box Imposition: A nickname that I use for imposing using the sense of limb proximity and movement, proprioception. This form of imposition also comes into play in the lesser version of it, which most know as presence imposition, and when trying to impose "phantom limbs" onto the body. To practice Box Imposition, you'd want to start imposing an object with your eyes closed. Treat it as 'real' while running your hands through it.
  • Mindsculpting: The action of physically sculpting a tulpa's form in reality using your hands, as if you were sculpting something from clay. This is the main technique for visual imposition as described in Q2's imposition guide.
  • Boundaries: The term for identifying the sense of where the imposed form starts and stops. The face of an imposed cube or the mental outline of an imposed arm fall under this classification.
  • Visual Noise: A naturally occurring, static-like overlay on top of one's visual perception that is most noticeable in darker environments. 
Spoiler

image.gif.abbf47c1931eee49c23baa7415b36eca.gif

A representation of what visual noise looks like.

• Mental Weight: A metaphorical term used to describe the energy that is needed to impose. Over time, it becomes easier and easier to impose under increasingly higher degrees. Regular, consistent practice can yield gradually better imposition quality, because the brain naturally becomes attuned to the skill. It's almost like learning a new language or instrument.
  • Normal Force: Based off the physics concept of the same name, it represents an equal and opposite "pushing back" of an imposed object's presence after you "push down" on its form through administered concentration (so to speak). This strategy is great for helping with having projections feel fuller and accepting them into objective reality easier.
  • Noisewrapping: The act of trying to fill in, or "wrap" the boundaries of an imposed object with visual noise. Since visual noise helps the most with opacity, it's a great technique to use for that. It's not really shaping the noise as much as it is trying to find shapes in the noise, which boundaries help to facilitate.

Guides I Use (can also be found on the master list):

More Threads to Lead You Deeper Into The Rabbit Hole:

Smart Person Research:

Edited by ringgggg

D-prime is shrinking as we speak.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I've always kept a good chunk of my time practicing presence imposition passively. My initiative right now is to polish up what I'm already used to doing.

A3 is in what I'd call my field of focus, but the presence I impose has always been this unfocused blob of nothingness from which I can only gather what she's doing from context clues. I've nailed down the usual poses everyone's used to thinking of when it comes to poses: sitting, lying down, walking, the like. 

I can infer where her limbs are going to be, basic movements, and have a rough perception of where she is in my vicinity. The problem begins when I fail to impose her form accurately. Yeah, there's an arm here, seems easy enough to understand. Yeah, I can see the legs are down lower. Wait, how long should her torso be? Where's the elbow again? Oops, I forgot to impose this one specific trait! Stuff like that.

My current goal is to get a sense of where these different parts of her form are in relativity to one another. You could almost compare it to having a sense of what your hand looks like when you close your eyes, and where it is currently. Picture where the joints are in your finger. Easy, right? Thanks to the wonders of neural plasticity, I can re-purpose it to better understand the anatomical proportions of A3, as well as have a more well-tuned understanding of how said proportions are coupled with my surroundings. Now I can finally force A3 to be the 4'6 midget she truly is.

Edited by ringgggg

Just realized that I totally forgot about how visualization affects the process. That's probably the main culprit as to why I can't understand where everything goes. Making an adjustment to my current routine as needed

• ringgggg changed the title to Ringgggg and A3 see the unseeable
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Trying to get back into the habit of doing imposition daily after falling off the wagon a month ago.

I’ve definitely regressed quite a bit in progress during that time. I can remember A3’s body feeling somewhat like how having someone next to you while closing your eyes feels like, kind of what I described previously. I need to get that feeling up so that it feels as vivid as it was a month ago

Audio imposition is also a big focus

There’s a locker room at the gym I go to that’s usually empty so I play a song on my phone at a specific location, leave it there, and then position myself in another spot to test what the song sounds like from different angles

One thing that I instantly started to notice when trying to aural-impose the sound was that it had a clear distinction from something like having a song stuck in your head

Right now I’m having some luck. I can barely hear the music in the most distant, resonant manner with some notes sticking out more than others (concert A for example).

I hope I can work on this more in the coming weekend

P.S. kinda spotty info because I was typing in between sets

Edited by ringgggg

(edited)

Quick little midnight update to our progress

I've been using basic 3D geometry shapes to figure out the boundaries and orientation of all of A3's appendages, and so far it's worked pretty well. They're really good for defining where everything's supposed to be, as if they were an armature to a figure or something. I've realized that part of figuring out where every aspect in her form goes involves deconstructing how I go about the fundamentals of anatomy and dumping it down into its most understandable representation to really comprehend where I'm putting things.

The best part about using simple shapes to define anatomical proportions is that if I mess up the orientation, say for instance, A3's pelvis is way too low to the ground (consequently making her torso a little too long), all I have to do is "move" the shape that represents that appendage (i.e. an upside-down triangular prism) into the proper position with my real hands.

Also been looking into QB2's imposition guide a bit more and doing what I like to call 'miming'. It basically consists of pushing/squeezing your hands on the boundaries of the tulpa's imposed form and acting as if there was resistance at that spot. It's kind of like how a mime presses up against an imaginary wall as if to push into it, hence the term 'miming'. Combine that with some texture studies and you're golden.

A3 enjoys the process. For her it's practically a really long massage.

Edited by ringgggg

• ringgggg changed the title to Ringgggg's somewhat-comprehensive fox girl imposition log
(edited)

I spoke with @Breloomancer a couple hours ago to clarify some things and she recommended I get the scoop on other's experiences much more. Since there are only a handful of recorded topics depicting imposition and even fewer people who have experienced it and took it seriously (probably guessing it to be less than 1% of the community), it's created something of a distinction between the different imposition techniques and made them unique to every user who tried their hand at it.

My aim is for my imposition sessions to be daily. Each session is around 1.5 to 2 hours long, with me rotating between sculpting different regions of A3's form every ~20 minutes. So far I'm doing okay with sustaining the habit, but those sessions are the only time I put any effort to impose A3 onto my vision.

Bre recommended me to go over a few more guides I missed, like the ones from Purlox and Linkzelda. The realization set in that I needed to balance the process out by imposing A3 passively, outside every imposition session. I had made the mistake of forgetting to passively impose the form as I go about the day, which is (duh) the entire premise of imposition as I now know it. How else am I going to get used to having A3 around me? It explains why A3 can only stay presence-imposed for just a couple hours when I'm out and about; I'm not used to having her around for so long.

Lesson learned. Active imposition practice is supposed to improve the quality of passive imposition practice, like seeing A3 more vividly when walking alongside her and exerting less effort to keep her imposed. I had been doing exclusively active practice while only contributing to passive practice when I wanted her around (which is admittedly a small portion of my day).

QB2's guide said something about having a tulpa's form constantly be in your field of vision, so I'm thinking I get in the habit of imposing a mini static mannequin of A3's form and keep it around for as long as I can, if that doesn't sound too weird. Just being able to get a grasp of what she looks like for longer periods of time is gonna do us a lot of justice.

Bre also told me to start simple. Focusing on imposing multiple senses at once is a pretty strenuous task, especially if you're just getting started like I am. Brute-forcing things is a step backwards and could cause some super unsustainable, short-lived results. Her progress report is mostly possession and switching stuff, but I do remember her describing how she burnt out and took a hiatus from visual imposition for a month just because she was putting too much of her energy into imposing Miela every waking moment of the day. I just hope my patience can last another couple months like it's doing with weightlifting.

A3 wanted her hair properly styled right after I went bald by pure coincidence, which has been a joke for us the past couple days. We settled on a ponytail because I always pictured her to have one for funsies.

Spoiler

IMG_4141.thumb.jpeg.d355b765aed7a85a183644f610e6e104.jpeg

I’m no Picasso, but here’s a quick sketch of how that looks

Edited by ringgggg

(edited)

@Luminesce, Bre told me you're approachable to this kind of stuff. Can you provide a little bit more on what you've done to further the imposition process?

I know you've told me a little about how you passively imposed around places, as well as how you were able to figure stuff out as you went along (I'm guessing it's how you coined the term "presence imposition"). What was it like to you, and what was your stance on it further into the process? Did it get boring or repetitive, or was it enticing enough to do on a daily basis without having to force yourself?

Edited by ringgggg

(edited)

The only reason I don't "teach imposition" more is there was really not a lot to it for us lol. I started out just trying to focus on seeing my tulpas (one at a time) in my room, shaping out their form in the air with my hands and walking around them. Our visualization is naturally wonderland-less (we created a wonderland 4 years after their creation when we found Tulpa.info, which we use for fully-immersed visualization, but), visualizing my tulpas normally is done in a kind of around-the-head mental space, and yet imposition is still very different feeling even from that. Imposing takes some mental effort and is the lowest visual quality with our poor visualization, but their whole bodies are mapped to real space. Casual visualization is easiest for us and they have a presence "around the head" but do not actually match up to real space at all, and visual clarity is better but (with our poor visualization) not their whole bodies, mostly just face and upper torso. And wonderland visualization is a tiny bit of effort, much higher immersion and the best visual quality by far.

After (well, in conjunction with as well) the basic practice in my room and a bit of walking around the house with them, we got our main practice walking around our college campus together between classes every day. I actually imposed all (at the time) three of them, and we just walked from place to place, I dunno. They'd also sit in empty chairs and such if available.

We never bothered to practice auditory or tactile imposition much, as we just didn't feel the need to. Auditorily, my tulpas speak in-mind "from the direction where they're currently imposed", but the sound is of the same nature as our talking normally is. Though there's a definite sense of them being "Back to my head" when we switch back from imposing to normal around-the-head visualization/presence. Tactile-ly, I dunno, we hug often but I haven't put special effort into hallucinating actual touch. It doesn't feel any harder to do than sight was though, just focus on trying to feel it, and practice that a lot.

Imposition remains our almost-main form of interaction all these (9) years later, beaten a bit by just around-the-head visualization/chatting, though we usually make an effort to impose them whenever we do that if we can. Just because it feels nicer to have them actually "be there" in physical presence, but it being easier to have them just in-mind means we switch back and forth a lot. Keep in mind we're lazy and barely ever practice anything, though. All this stuff gets much clearer and easier with consistent practice (and results go up-and-down a lot based on recent activity or lack thereof)

I don't know how imposition could be "boring or repetitive" exactly. The skill itself, not at all?? But if you mean in the same sense that simply talking to your tulpas normally could get boring, sure I guess. But one of the reasons we impose so often is it's innately slightly more satisfying than just talking in-mind. At our level it's not exactly "wild and exciting" lol, but it's a useful skill we've never considered dropping even in our laziness.

For what it's actually like, the ~analogy/model I usually use is it's like

Physical world -> Physical senses perceived by your eyes -> Signal goes to your brain -> (Imposed visuals/etc. are added here) -> You consciously react to the senses

So, the end result is that you "know" what's behind your imposed tulpa and "can see it", but it's not where your conscious thought/focus is. I mean it could be at a moment's notice if you try to focus through them, but when just imposing, I can easily focus on the air where my tulpa is and am not focusing at all on what's behind them. But if something moved suddenly I would for sure notice it and focus on it, so I'm always 50/50 on truly calling it "hallucinating". It's two layers closer to reality than wonderland visualization, but (at least for us) it's not quite tricking the physical senses themselves (which in my opinion would be very unhealthy), it's tricking your conscious processing of the senses, at will.

Sorry I can't give more guidance on how to improve/"pursue imposition further", it's just never struck me as a skill that requires special instruction or methods. There are tricks that can help, eg. I didn't realize for a long while, but walking around my tulpa while trying to impose them really makes their form pop into view better, I guess by engaging an extra mental muscle or something. But the method for us was literally always "Just try to do it", and to improve quality it's been "Just practice doing it consistently, every day". And I'm fairly sure sound and touch imposition are the same process, though very slight touch imposition is the only other one we've done (I really have no interest in muddying their voice clarity by trying to impose-hallucinate sound, I'm perfectly happy with the clear mental voice that just "feels like it's coming from over there" instead).

I can't say nearly as much about switching, but for the record, we learned switching the same way lol. "People can do that, huh? Well let's try it", and then we just did it how made sense to us, mentally switching places (my sense of self -> to a tulpa state, and Reisen's sense of self -> to the conscious part of the brain's "driver's seat")

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

(edited)

I wonder if all this is just fueled by some initial excitement. I've been acting like a total crackhead these past few days and not taking into account how deep a rabbit hole this has the potential to be.

I don't have any way of finding that out, but I also don't want to look down on it with a ton of pessimism.

I really need to pop open the forum search bar and see what comes up. I'm sure people have had the exact same questions I'm asking and I'm probably just wasting people's time by asking for an answer that's most likely already out there

Or maybe this is just all me second guessing things. Who knows

Edited by ringgggg

• ringgggg changed the title to Ringgggg's somewhat-comprehensive foxgirl imposition log