Telling when you have a tulpa

reguile

Question

If you are resorting to a guide with a title such as this than you are probably pretty familiar with the entire process of creating a tulpa. You know about how to make a personality, you know what forcing is, you know how to put yourself in a wonderland with relative ease. You have found that despite all this knowledge, despite hours of forcing, despite reading every scrap of information you can find, you really honestly aren't sure what to expect from a tulpa.

Alien feelings? A person whispering into your ear while you cross the street? The feeling of a walkie talkie? Some threads speak of tulpa as if they are simply other people, yet other threads speak of them as if there is hardly a distinguishing factor between the tulpa and the host. So what gives? When is it that you really do have something that you can confidently state is a tulpa? When are you or aren't you parroting?

Some who have tried to create a tulpa seem to do incredibly well with it. They are out talking about how talkative their tulpa is in the first week! Some take less than a few hours! It's obvious that you, the troubled reader of this guide, must be doing something horribly wrong, right? No.

Like all human efforts and questions, some things will just "click" for some people. Be it from prior experience, natural disposition, or just plain old peer pressure, some people hit the track running. You probably hit the track going about twenty miles an hour and with a broken leg. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, you can end up doing much better in the long run because of the foundation you are forced to build.

Not all tulpa through the community have voices that are even close to consistently alien/foreign feeling. Even some of the people who have been at this for quite a while have been known to have moments of doubt. The process of creating a tulpa is not something that is just accomplished through an hour of forcing. Outside of certain “breakthrough” moments that drive you to new prospects, progress in the field of tulpa is incredibly gradual. Even If you may not be noticing any improvement, it is almost definitely there in some form. What you will get out of tulpa will be exactly what you put in combined with your own natural affinity, nothing more, nothing less.

___

The only thing you really can do at a stage like this is to just keep at the process that got you here. Do not shut down or shut out that little voice in your head. Cater to that voice. Humor it. Clearly, as you are wondering if some of your thoughts are those of your tulpa, something is going right. Continue to force, continue to develop the personality of your tulpa, continue to work on trying to think of your tulpa throughout the day. All of these things build and reinforce the idea in your head that a thought no longer is a simple, one dimensional thought. Instead, you create the idea that there is some identity, some personality, some tulpa, that can be doing the “thinking”. The stronger that identity, the easier and more often thoughts will be assigned to it.

What you are experiencing is the beginning of your ability to recognize and order a thought as being the thoughts of your tulpa rather than yourself. More often than not that thought will feel like its origin lies with you rather than a tulpa. That is absolutely normal and expected. For now, you are very likely bad at the process of ordering thoughts, and you are are almost definitely going to continue to screw up along the way.

You may find it helpful to spend some time just trying to recognize your own thought processes as you go throughout the day. It is amazing sometimes how quickly the mind can work, and if you pay a little more attention you may start to notice that you tend to think about two to five sentences worth of thoughts across the course of one normal language-based thought.

Learning to pay attention to this level of thinking is very helpful when dealing with doubt issues such as this. I wouldn’t so much recommend to attempt to endlessly be in control of every thought you make. However, being able to pay attention to that level of thought is often very good for assessing and realizing what trains of thought or mindsets lead to you feeling like your tulpa isn’t exactly not-you. Those trains of thought can be avoided while forcing for the sake of fostering progress, and then examined later on when you are not trying to actually communicate.

Overall you should expect that as you force the voice will become stronger. Along the line, there will be doubts. It is likely that you will never find a point at which you never have doubts of if what you heard was you or your tulpa. That is normal, that is expected. However, as time slowly passes, the doubts become less. You probably won't notice it at all after any single day, but you may just find that one day things “click” and it really feels like you are talking to a voice in your head.

You may even go so far as to call it a tulpa.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, there are some grammatical errors, but that's not the important thing.

I'm pretty conflicted about this one. I read it and I think "No, that's not at all how it was for me." But on the other hand I've spoken to people who've had that experience, who no guide seemed to work for.

I do prefer your original guide in some ways, but this one is also good in some ways.

I agree with CyberD that it is nice to see a rationalist perspective. As Sands said, there are two ways of looking at it, and you can't say for sure that your way is the right way -- but I do feel like other people say that their way is the right way every single day, and nobody questions it.

I do feel like we need a rationalist guide. But I don't feel like this is it. Let me read over both guides again and I'll give you a more in-depth critique.

Edit: Ok, I think I've got it. You say in the original guide that it is fine to have faith in your tulpa, and it will be faster and give better results than what you're saying. But you also feel that your guide is useful to people who the conventional way of thing won't work for -- and I agree.

So how about this? Right now you're saying "Most people experience X, Y, and Z." which isn't true, at least of my experience, and it is negative frontloading. Instead of that, say "Are you experiencing X, Y, or Z? Then this guide might be for you."

I really like how you go more in-depth in the original guide, but you're trying to hard to make it a full creation guide -- which it doesn't need to be. You're right to throw out the definitions and the step-by-step process, the way you did in this new guide. Because you don't need them. You were pretty much just saying "The other guides are right about most of this."

I'm definitely overstepping my bounds as a GAT member, but this is a sort of a first draft on how I'd like to see it. I've used your own words as much as possible (maintaining your preferred plural instead of my own), but rearranged some things and fixed the grammar. I'm not trying to take this away from you, or to present this as a finished work. It's just that you have a lot of material here that I believe could be very useful to some people, and I'd like to collect that material together in one cohesive lump with some grammar corrections.

Have you gone weeks without alien feelings, or voices, or progress whatsoever? Are you afraid you're parrotting or puppetting? Are you fed up with being told "If you feel like it was your tulpa, it probably was."? Is your tulpa out of control or malicious? If any of these are true, this guide might be for you.

Most guides take the perspective that the host should embrace that their tulpa as a separate human being from the get-go, that you should "have faith" in your tulpa. Honestly, I don't like that much at all.

I'll admit that it is absolutely fine to have such a perspective. Heck, it can give you much faster progress and much better results than what I'll say in this guide. However, although it's not everybody's experience, I do think that things like parroting fears and tulpa going "out of control" are more likely to stem from this sort of thought process than my own. Even if it's slower, less efficient, and even if it turns people away from tulpa because "it's not real", I do think that it's very preferable to take an outtake on tulpa that focuses less on having that sort of faith or "trust".

In the case of things such as the tulpa "going out of control" or "being mean or rude" and a huge set of other issues are simply avoided because it can be recognized by the host as something they are doing themselves. It allows a sort of ability to "override" the issues that will inevitably occur due to things like intrusive thoughts.

Why make a tulpa?

You do not force or create a tulpa to reach a goal. The process of creating a tulpa has no end, it is only an activity.

I think of forcing like I think of sports. It's not a game you play to win. You can try as hard as you can to collect your goals if that's your thing, but you will likely end up having a much better time if you just play the game to have fun just playing the game.

Secondly, if you are trying to get a tulpa for the sake of meeting a goal, I can tell you now that there is a way to accomplish most goals without a tulpa, and typically that way is more efficient than creating a tulpa.

Want better memory? Study!

Want more ability to recognize multiple viewpoints? Go and learn multiple viewpoints and get in the habit of doing that. You don't need a tulpa to consider something from another's shoes. Just spend time considering how others would think, and actively try to put yourself in their shoes more often.

Need a friend to talk to? Need to feel accepted? Honestly, this is what friends are for. Go out and make some.

Tulpa should never be used as replacement for real life human beings.

Again, tulpa are a thing which really shouldn't be defined as a goal. Although I won't stop you from trying, I can assure you that, in most cases, you can get much more benefit elsewhere.

Ok, still here?

I've told you my warnings and my thoughts, and for some strange reason you are still here.

Good.

Because I still have one last trick up my sleeve to try and make you leave:

This guide will view tulpa as nothing but a phenomena of the mind, and a trick that is maintained and created entirely by the host.

I am not here typing this to help you create a new person, or to help your brain develop a cordoned off area of axons and neurons that can create thoughts entirely separately from yourself. This is a guide on the art of self delusion, and I'm sorry if you do not like that fact, or if I kill off a cool fantasy by saying this, but honestly I think this is better said than not.

Tulpa seem extraordinary at first glance because they ARE extraordinary at a glance, but once you get into the details it's all a delusion.

I know you are probably thinking "Why should I even do this if tulpa are fake?".

Which is where the real wonderful part about tulpa, and the human mind, comes into play: You can still have a tulpa while fully accepting and embracing the idea that your tulpa is less a sentient creature and more a delusion. When you can hold this in your mind, you gain all the benefits of having a tulpa with none of the drawbacks of losing touch with reality.

So, that's all I got, with that last "doozy" out of the way I can actually feel confident that you are the sort of person who might want to make a tulpa. I've said every fact I know of that might make you want to stop or turn away to things more suited for yourself.

However I have one last recommendation: If you are new to this community, wait a few weeks.

The concept of tulpas can be mind-blowing, and a blown mind is not good at making decisions. Do not make decisions with a blown mind. Come back in a week after lurking on reddit and the IRC and getting a good idea of what the community/concept of tulpa is really like.

(You might not agree with this guide after that, but that's fine too.)

And with that I'm done. I hope this guide will help you with any difficulties you might run into while trying to get a vocal tulpa, and I hope it's not too weird sounding or "cultish".

But seriously, make your own conclusions on everything. Forcing is something you do for fun, and for fun only. It's a hobby, an activity, etc. Tulpa aren't objects to help you through your life or magical beings of any sort. And the logic I use here is MY OWN logic. Do not just take my word for it, think it through for yourself.

Again, I'd like to emphasize that this is your guide, and you should have the last say on how it's presented. I wouldn't present my version as a final draft even if it were my own guide. It's just that I feel like you're selling yourself short by cutting out a lot of good material that you had in your original guide, and I hate to see that happen. You have some good stuff here. Work with it.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Well, there are some grammatical errors, but that's not the important thing.

I'm pretty conflicted about this one. I read it and I think "No, that's not at all ho..

[massive snip]

..t even if it were my own guide. It's just that I feel like you're selling yourself short by cutting out a lot of good material that you had in your original guide, and I hate to see that happen. You have some good stuff here. Work with it.

I am not too big a fan of what you wrote here, mainly because it uses a lot of stuff from the old guide that fall under the areas that are pointless/shouldn't be mentioned. However, there are a few areas I see that I could use:

So I:

Removed first person I statements. You can tell I didn't really re-read or reconsider this thing once after writing it at 1 AM.

Added a few parts that introduce the guide a bit more and introduce/discuss the topic of this being for people who have had more difficulty through the process.

A guide to understanding the concepts and ideas behind tulpa.

Tulpa without the buzzwords

If you are resorting to a guide with a title such as this, I am assuming you have already read the normally recommended guides. You have learned all the steps to making your own personal tulpa. You know about how to make a personality, you know what forcing is, you know how to put yourself in a wonderland with relative ease. However, you have found that despite all this knowledge, despite these attempts, you really honestly aren't sure what to expect from tulpa.

Alien feelings? A person whispering into your ear while you cross the street? The feeling of a walkie talkie? Threads speaks of tulpa sometimes as if they are simply other people, but in others speaks of them as if there is hardly a distinguishing factor between them and the host. It has taken some many months to even consider the idea that they even have a tulpa at all. So what gives? When is it that you really do have this real tulpa?

Some who have tried to create a tulpa seem to do incredibly well with it. They are out talking about how talkative their tulpa is in the first week, even hour! It's obvious that you, the troubled reader of this guide, must be doing something horribly wrong, right? The answer to that question is no. Like all human efforts and questions, some things will just "click" for some people. Be it from prior expierence, natural disposition, or just plain old peer pressure, some people hit the track running. You probably hit the track going about twenty miles an hour and with a broken leg. There is nothing wrong with that, and you may will end up doing better in the long run due to it.

If you are the average person, your tulpa is not actually going to feel “sentient from the start”. No, your tulpa isn't going to make it's form, develop a personality, and start throwing off alien and indistinguishable thoughts at day one-one hundred. The process of creating a tulpa takes time, effort, and quite a bit of introspection.

The process of creating a tulpa is that things will not go smoothly. You will not force for X hours and hear a happy alien voice greeting you inside your head. You will not find yourself with a well-defined and internally consistent tulpa after spending two hours creating a personality and leaving it at that. What you get out of tulpa will be exactly what you put in combined with your own natural affinity, nothing more, nothing less.

The average person, after reading the guides and starting down the path of tulpa, tends to end up asking a question along the lines of “I feel like I heard my tulpa, but I am not sure if it was me saying anything or not”. This question is usually met with an answer along the lines of “If you feel like it was your tulpa, it probably was”. That answer, in my opinion, is somewhere between useless and enraging. It's a non-answer that doesn't address the core concerns of the person asking the question.

Whenever someone asks this, they are not asking “what should I think to best get a tulpa later”. They are questioning the fact of if what they heard was a legitimate tulpa. A legitimate, autonomous voice. The answer to that is most probably no.

However, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. When you get to this point you should not shut down or shut out that little voice. Instead you should cater to that voice. Humor it. That voice isn't yet the voice of your tulpa, but it is the beginnings of you learning the ropes of creating one. Step one of the endless road to having a “real” tulpa. You should expect that, with time, that voice will become stronger. Along the line, there will be doubts, there will always be doubts. At no point will there be zero doubts that you said or thought a certain phrase. That is normal, that is expected. However, as time slowly passes, the doubts become less. You probably won't notice it at all after any single day, but you may just find that one day things “click” and it really feels like you are talking to a voice in your head.

I'm glad that you didn't take most of Sushi's suggestions as they were the same things we talked for multiple pages that were our reasons why we couldn't approve of this in the first place. I think that you definitely are on the right track now and I'm glad that you decided to give this another go.

The first three paragraphs I quite like in this newest submission of yours. Those are some common problems and you tell the reader that there's nothing wrong with them, so that is a rather good start.

But I wish the meat of this was as enjoyable. I feel like your biggest issue is seeing everything so black and white when we honestly know nothing for certain here. Your strong words can easily influence people the wrong way as creating tuppers is a mental process and we know how easily you can be manipulated because that that stuff can be pretty stupid at times. PS. How do we know what an "average" person is like when forcing tuppers? What or who is the average? What you think is the average? What you have seen to be the average? Because I don't know about you, but it seems like for every person who might agree with what you said, you will find another who says "no, that's not it". In fact, right now we probably have more "instatuppers" than those that took a longer time to create... Of course, whether or not those all are legit is up for debate, but if they are the "average forcer" in our community then how could your average person be slow, then?

But right, back to the issue of your strong words. You say things like is not going to, will not happen, etc. Your very words might actually stop them from happening and give people the wrong idea. Honestly, no one can say how long this will take, just like you said, when something clicks then it clicks. It might take any time for it to click, but your way of going on about it seems to be put in a rather negative light which could influence people in the opposite direction. I suggest you think of your word choices and try to make them less damning. Speak of "can" or "maybe" or "for some people" rather than trying to tell your reader that they will go through these issues. Otherwise it might be you causing the issues, and I think you don't want that?

I like the way you address not knowing if it was the tupper speaking and doubts in general. We actually have some rather similar ideas and I guess you can read about my absence of disbelief if you want, wow look at me always linking this these days when doubts become the topic. The way people usually treat them is "it probably was", you're saying "it probably wasn't", and I say "it could have been, but it doesn't matter yet when you don't know the whole story". Telling not to ignore it outright and to humor it is a great idea, though I'm not sure if I would go around treating this voice like it was the tupper if I'm not sure and hope for the best. Sure, it probably would end up being a tupper eventually if it isn't yet, but I wouldn't go around doing what doesn't feel right to me. I'm just taking the stance that if it is the tupper, I won't make it difficult for myself and possibly them for saying it isn't the tupper by ignoring it, but I also won't force myself to think that it is the tupper or will be the tupper.

But that could be a part of your method, sure. Find a voice to listen to, if puppeting can end up in a tulpa then I'm sure this would work, too. But that's kind of another issue with your "guide"... You don't really have a guide! It's not a creation guide as you're not telling us how to create a tupper, though you do kind of say that this comes after people have read other guides and tried them. Still, doesn't make it a creation guide. It doesn't really tell me all that much what to do to get my tupper to be vocal either, so I guess if I really stretch this, it could go in Tips and Tricks... But the way you write it more article material, but that's kind of outside GAT and I have no idea what to do with that.

You could write a creation/vocality guide based on your paragraph about finding a voice and then making a tupper out of it. I don't think you exactly have it in a guide-like manner yet. Even those creation guides like Kiahdaj's that are heavily based on mindset and opinions have some actual methods in them rather than just explaining an idea.

Also, we can use this thread to iron out the issues in your guide, but I suggest that you will post it in another one once finished. Right now if people went on to read the comments, they might think something is wrong with your guide and wouldn't follow it because of that, even though it has been changed. We'll help with the typos later too, if that's alright with you. No need to do it yet when this might change a lot.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Your latest revision is definitely better. Removing the first person made a big difference, as did the introduction.

The first three paragraphs I quite like in this newest submission of yours. Those are some common problems and you tell the reader that there's nothing wrong with them, so that is a rather good start.

Definitely agreed.

But I wish the meat of this was as enjoyable. I feel like your biggest issue is seeing everything so black and white when we honestly know nothing for certain here.

This is where I disagree. I think self-fulfilling prophesy has been so encouraged on these forums that we start to believe it. I feel like there are black and white guides out there, that say essentially "You need to believe that a separate consciousness magically formed in your brain the instant you decided to make a tulpa." But nobody accuses them of being black and white because that's the accepted viewpoint around here.

Your strong words can easily influence people the wrong way as creating tuppers is a mental process and we know how easily you can be manipulated because that that stuff can be pretty stupid at times. PS. How do we know what an "average" person is like when forcing tuppers? What or who is the average? What you think is the average? What you have seen to be the average? Because I don't know about you, but it seems like for every person who might agree with what you said, you will find another who says "no, that's not it". In fact, right now we probably have more "instatuppers" than those that took a longer time to create... Of course, whether or not those all are legit is up for debate, but if they are the "average forcer" in our community then how could your average person be slow, then?

But right, back to the issue of your strong words. You say things like is not going to, will not happen, etc. Your very words might actually stop them from happening and give people the wrong idea. Honestly, no one can say how long this will take, just like you said, when something clicks then it clicks. It might take any time for it to click, but your way of going on about it seems to be put in a rather negative light which could influence people in the opposite direction. I suggest you think of your word choices and try to make them less damning. Speak of "can" or "maybe" or "for some people" rather than trying to tell your reader that they will go through these issues. Otherwise it might be you causing the issues, and I think you don't want that?

This is true, and I agree with Sands completely here. Just replace "will not" with "may not" and I think you're good.

I like the way you address not knowing if it was the tupper speaking and doubts in general. We actually have some rather similar ideas and I guess you can read about my absence of disbelief if you want, wow look at me always linking this these days when doubts become the topic. The way people usually treat them is "it probably was", you're saying "it probably wasn't", and I say "it could have been, but it doesn't matter yet when you don't know the whole story". Telling not to ignore it outright and to humor it is a great idea, though I'm not sure if I would go around treating this voice like it was the tupper if I'm not sure and hope for the best. Sure, it probably would end up being a tupper eventually if it isn't yet, but I wouldn't go around doing what doesn't feel right to me. I'm just taking the stance that if it is the tupper, I won't make it difficult for myself and possibly them for saying it isn't the tupper by ignoring it, but I also won't force myself to think that it is the tupper or will be the tupper.

I feel like most of the community is looking at a caterpillar and saying it's a butterfly. Sands is saying that it may be a butterfly, so it's better to treat it like one than not. reguile is saying it's not a butterfly, and that's ok, because it has the potential to become a butterfly.

To use another metaphor, most of the community is typical deists, trusting in blind faith that there is a higher power; Sands is proposing Pascal's Wager; and reguile is saying that it doesn't matter if there is a higher power, because if we pretend like there is, we can live happy, moral, and fulfilling lives without worrying too much about our mortality.

I think reguile has a point here. I'm not saying that reguile is absolutely right and everyone else is wrong -- for all we know, there could be a higher power, or that caterpillar could have invisible wings (ok, that metaphor doesn't work as well, but you see what I'm saying). The point is that reguile's perspective is just as valid as anyone else's, and that makes it that much more important that it be expressed, because nobody else is out there expressing it.

But that's kind of another issue with your "guide"... You don't really have a guide! It's not a creation guide as you're not telling us how to create a tupper, though you do kind of say that this comes after people have read other guides and tried them. Still, doesn't make it a creation guide. It doesn't really tell me all that much what to do to get my tupper to be vocal either, so I guess if I really stretch this, it could go in Tips and Tricks... But the way you write it more article material, but that's kind of outside GAT and I have no idea what to do with that.

You could write a creation/vocality guide based on your paragraph about finding a voice and then making a tupper out of it. I don't think you exactly have it in a guide-like manner yet. Even those creation guides like Kiahdaj's that are heavily based on mindset and opinions have some actual methods in them rather than just explaining an idea.

I don't think this should be a guide. reguile has pretty much sad that the methods in other guides are valid. Why waste the writer and the reader's time by repeating them all? The important thing is this alternate perspective. I think this should definitely go into Tips and Tricks or Resources.

Also, we can use this thread to iron out the issues in your guide, but I suggest that you will post it in another one once finished. Right now if people went on to read the comments, they might think something is wrong with your guide and wouldn't follow it because of that, even though it has been changed. We'll help with the typos later too, if that's alright with you. No need to do it yet when this might change a lot.

I think it would be kinda neat if we could do this with all guides. It used to be when you read a guide that you'd see in the comments other people's perspectives and experiences on the guides. Now you just see GAT discussion. I think it would be good to get rid of or at least relocate that GAT discussion in all cases.

This is where I disagree. I think self-fulfilling prophesy has been so encouraged on these forums that we start to believe it. I feel like there are black and white guides out there, that say essentially "You need to believe that a separate consciousness magically formed in your brain the instant you decided to make a tulpa." But nobody accuses them of being black and white because that's the accepted viewpoint around here.

Well, if you go around claiming that tuppers are these magical separate beings, I would say "you don't know for sure". We shouldn't be so certain when we don't know, all we really know is that a tulpa should seem like it is a separate person. Whether or not it is, I don't know, you don't know, and we have no way of finding that out.

I feel like most of the community is looking at a caterpillar and saying it's a butterfly. Sands is saying that it may be a butterfly, so it's better to treat it like one than not. reguile is saying it's not a butterfly, and that's ok, because it has the potential to become a butterfly.

I'm afraid that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it could be one or it could not be one, but as we have no way of saying which one it is, we postpone our decision while we continue doing what we have done until we can finally say whether or not it's a butterfly. I feel like everyone goes through that eventually, as long as you don't go through the blind belief phase. That one seems like it makes you lose hope pretty fast, considering all these people I have seen adopting that mindset from the start. It's important to give hosts time to figure out what feels "legit" to them - but at the same time, we don't ever want to outright ignore possible responses as if you start doing that, you could decide that legit responses are fake when you don't have enough information to actually make a proper decision yet. We just don't say if it's fake or legit until we are more certain about it. And hey, we never can be 100% sure, but at some point we just give up and say "alright, you've given me enough proof already", yeah?

I don't think this should be a guide. reguile has pretty much sad that the methods in other guides are valid. Why waste the writer and the reader's time by repeating them all? The important thing is this alternate perspective. I think this should definitely go into Tips and Tricks or Resources.

This depends on whether or not he wants to write a guide or not. He calls it a guide so I assume he wants it to be a guide, but it isn't. It doesn't have to be, but if he wants it to be, it has to become a guide first.

I think it would be kinda neat if we could do this with all guides. It used to be when you read a guide that you'd see in the comments other people's perspectives and experiences on the guides. Now you just see GAT discussion. I think it would be good to get rid of or at least relocate that GAT discussion in all cases.

Not too many comment on guides anymore these days, so GAT commentary might even be the best kind of comments you get these days as you can immediately see what others have liked or disliked about a guide. They are a bit more in-depth than your normal "wow cool guide", but we unfortunately can't really test the guides and report progress. It would be cool to see more of that, but it doesn't look like we're getting it.

In these cases where something ends up being very different from the first draft, I do suggest posting it in another thread. We will still vote in the new thread, after all...

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

So, I have (for the most part) attempted to remove a lot of the stronger language through the guide, although I take shisomething's side for the most part. It should at least be improved.

I also re-did a lot of the last part, you should find it is a bit more guide-like, and has at least one concept I haven't honestly seen in many guides, but do feel is somewhat important.

Also a new sort of title has been added, because it fits better-ish now.

I am leaving the old one up, because this does more than add to the previous one.

Breaking the parroting barrier.

If you are resorting to a guide with a title such as this, I am assuming you have already read the normally recommended guides. You have learned all the steps to making your own personal tulpa. You know about how to make a personality, you know what forcing is, you know how to put yourself in a wonderland with relative ease. However, you have found that despite all this knowledge, despite these attempts, you really honestly aren't sure what to expect from tulpa.

Alien feelings? A person whispering into your ear while you cross the street? The feeling of a walkie talkie? Threads speaks of tulpa sometimes as if they are simply other people, but in others speaks of them as if there is hardly a distinguishing factor between them and the host. It has taken some many months to even consider the idea that they even have a tulpa at all. So what gives? When is it that you really do have this real tulpa?

Some who have tried to create a tulpa seem to do incredibly well with it. They are out talking about how talkative their tulpa is in the first week, even hour! It's obvious that you, the troubled reader of this guide, must be doing something horribly wrong, right? The answer to that question is no. Like all human efforts and questions, some things will just "click" for some people. Be it from prior experience, natural disposition, or just plain old peer pressure, some people hit the track running. You probably hit the track going about twenty miles an hour and with a broken leg. There is nothing wrong with that, and you may will end up doing better in the long run due to it.

If you are the average person reading this guide, your tulpa is not actually going to feel sentient from the start”. It honestly isn’t universal that tulpa through the community have voices that are honestly and consistently alien/foreign feeling 100 percent of the time. Even some of the people who have been at this for quite a while have been known to have moments of doubt. The process of creating a tulpa takes time, effort, and quite a bit of introspection.

The process of creating a tulpa is that things will not always go smoothly. You will not force for X hours and be guaranteed to hear a happy alien voice greeting you inside your head. You will almost never find yourself with a well-defined and internally consistent tulpa after spending two hours creating a personality and leaving it at that. What you get out of tulpa will be exactly what you put in combined with your own natural affinity, nothing more, nothing less.

A good number of people, after reading the guides and starting down the path of tulpa, tends to end up asking a question along the lines of “I feel like I heard my tulpa, but I am not sure if it was me saying anything or not”. This question is usually met with an answer along the lines of “If you feel like it was your tulpa, it probably was”. That answer, in my opinion, is somewhere between useless and enraging. It's a non-answer that doesn't address the core concerns of the person asking the question.

Whenever someone asks this, they are not asking “what should I think to best get a tulpa later”. They are questioning the fact of if what they heard was a legitimate tulpa. A legitimate, autonomous voice. The answer to that may very well be no.

So what is it you should do, when you reach this point where you aren’t quite sure where you are or where you are going? The answer to that question is nowhere. This stage, this place where you think you can hear things but aren’t sure of their place, is exactly that, a stage. When you get to this point you should not shut down or shut out that little voice. Instead you should cater to that voice. Humor it.

The idea is that you are at the first steps of having a tulpa. What you are hearing is the beginning of your ability to recognize and order a thought as being the thoughts of your tulpa. However, right now, you are very likely bad at doing so. More often than not that thought will feel like its origin lies with you rather than a tulpa. That is absolutely normal and expected.

The only thing you really can do at a stage like this is to just keep at the process that got you here. Clearly, something is going right. Continue to force, continue to develop the personality of your tulpa, continue to work on trying to think of your tulpa throughout the day. All of these things build and reinforce the idea in your head that a thought no longer is a simple, one dimensional thought. Instead, you create the idea that there is some identity, some personality, some tulpa, that can be doing the “thinking”. The stronger that identity, the easier and more often thoughts will be assigned to it.

You may find it helpful to spend some time just trying to recognize your own thought processes as you go throughout the day. It is honestly amazing sometimes how quickly the mind can work, and if you pay a little more attention you can sometimes notice that you tend to think about 5 or ten sentences worth of thoughts across the course of one normal language-based thought. Learning to pay attention to this level of thinking is often very helpful when dealing with doubt issues such as this. I wouldn’t so much recommend to attempt to endlessly be in control of every thought you make. However, being able to pay attention to that level of thought is often very good for assessing and realizing what trains of thought or mindsets lead to you feeling like your tulpa isn’t exactly not-you. Those trains of thoughts can be avoided while forcing for the sake of fostering progress, and then examined later on when you are not trying to actually communicate.

Overall you should expect that as you force the voice will become stronger. Along the line, there will be doubts. It is likely that you will never find a point at which you never have doubts of if what you heard was you or your tulpa. That is normal, that is expected. However, as time slowly passes, the doubts become less. You probably won't notice it at all after any single day, but you may just find that one day things “click” and it really feels like you are talking to a voice in your head.

Well, I do think it's better now than it was. Might as well point out a couple of things you might wanna fix as they caught my eye as I read through this.

If you are the average person reading this guide, your tulpa is not actually going to feel sentient from the start”.

Got some leftover quotation marks here.

There is nothing wrong with that, and you may will end up doing better in the long run due to it.

Might want to change that "may will". May well, might, could, whatever.

There's one sentence I feel that might be seen as a bad one by some, and while I know what you're talking about and even agree, it can be one of those things that actually ends up hindering people. You do say how this is supposed to be read after other guides, but it still won't stop people from reading this first.

The process of creating a tulpa takes time, effort, and quite a bit of introspection.

I won't disagree, though I guess the word "creating" can be argued about. If people read this first, they might assume that everything is more difficult than it really is and it can be bad for their progress. Besides, it's not like we really know when a tupper really is "created", either. What if they are "created" the first time you start forcing them? Hardly takes time - but what takes time is developing them, I feel. Even if you did have legit responses on day 1, I am going to bet that this tulpa will be very different in a couple of months and even more so in a year. Tuppers do kind of "grow up" as they live and experience things, and then as you look back, how they were back then just isn't as developed as they are now.

It's kind of funny because I feel like your guide is a non-symbolic variation of the "essence" guide(s?). They find something that feels like the tupper and treat it as the tupper until it talks back, you tell people to listen to the voice they heard until it feels like an actual tulpa.

I think what you might want to do to make this a bit easier to read is to split it into parts. Instead of this one solid article, I'd suggest putting headers where the actual guide starts and where it's still just the introduction. I think that would help with the presentation.

Well, I do think it's better now than it was. Might as well point out a couple of things you might wanna fix as they caught my eye ...s a bit easier to read is to split it into parts. Instead of this one solid article, I'd suggest putting headers where the actual guide starts and where it's still just the introduction. I think that would help with the presentation.

More changes:

Fixed mentioned typos, changed wording of pointed out sentence. Other "readability' and flow issues worked on.

I am hesitant to really add headers or anything to the guide. It honestly just is too short to justify it. If I did they would be there for just about every paragraph.

I did add a bit of a break though, between the two introduction-guide sections.

A title is that which does not come to mind often.

If you are resorting to a guide with a title such as this than you probably have seen a large number of other, commonly recommended, guides. You have learned all the steps to making your own personal tulpa. You know about how to make a personality, you know what forcing is, you know how to put yourself in a wonderland with relative ease. However, you have found that despite all this knowledge, despite these attempts, you really honestly aren't sure what to expect from tulpa.

Alien feelings? A person whispering into your ear while you cross the street? The feeling of a walkie talkie? Some threads speaks of tulpa sometimes as if they are simply other people, but in others speak of them as if there is hardly a distinguishing factor between the tulpa and the host. So what gives? When is it that you really do have something that you can confidently state is a tulpa? When are you no longer parroting?

Some who have tried to create a tulpa seem to do incredibly well with it. They are out talking about how talkative their tulpa is in the first week. Some take less than a few hours! It's obvious that you, the troubled reader of this guide, must be doing something horribly wrong, right? No.

Like all human efforts and questions, some things will just "click" for some people. Be it from prior experience, natural disposition, or just plain old peer pressure, some people hit the track running. You probably hit the track going about twenty miles an hour and with a broken leg. There is nothing wrong with that, and you may well end up doing better in the long run due to it.

If you are the average person reading this guide, your tulpa is not actually going to feel sentient from the start. It honestly isn’t universal that tulpa through the community have voices that are consistently alien/foreign feeling. Even some of the people who have been at this for quite a while have been known to have moments of doubt. The process of creating a tulpa is not something that is just accomplished through an hour of forcing, even if you can do quite a lot in a short amount of time. Progress is often gradual rather than not, and even If you may not be seeing any improvement, it is almost definitely there in some form.

You will almost never find yourself with a well-defined and internally consistent tulpa after spending two hours creating a personality and leaving it at that. What you get out of tulpa will be exactly what you put in combined with your own natural affinity, nothing more, nothing less.

A good number of people, after reading the guides and starting down the path of tulpa, tends to end up asking a question along the lines of “I feel like I heard my tulpa, but I am not sure if it was me saying anything or not”. This question is usually met with an answer along the lines of “If you feel like it was your tulpa, it probably was”. That answer, in my opinion, is somewhere between useless and enraging. It's a non-answer that doesn't address the core concerns of the person asking the question.

Whenever someone asks this, they are not asking “what should I think to best get a tulpa later”. They are questioning the fact of if what they heard was a legitimate tulpa. A legitimate, autonomous voice. The answer to that may very well be no.

___

So what is it you should do, when you reach this point where you aren’t quite sure where you are or where you are going? The answer to that question is nowhere. This stage, this place where you think you can hear things but aren’t sure of their place, is exactly that, a stage. When you get to this point you should not shut down or shut out that little voice. Instead you should cater to that voice. Humor it.

The idea is that you are at the first steps of having a tulpa. What you are hearing is the beginning of your ability to recognize and order a thought as being the thoughts of your tulpa. However, right now, you are very likely bad at doing so. More often than not that thought will feel like its origin lies with you rather than a tulpa. That is absolutely normal and expected.

The only thing you really can do at a stage like this is to just keep at the process that got you here. Clearly, as you are wondering if some of your thoughts are those of your tulpa, something is going right. Continue to force, continue to develop the personality of your tulpa, continue to work on trying to think of your tulpa throughout the day. All of these things build and reinforce the idea in your head that a thought no longer is a simple, one dimensional thought. Instead, you create the idea that there is some identity, some personality, some tulpa, that can be doing the “thinking”. The stronger that identity, the easier and more often thoughts will be assigned to it.

You may find it helpful to spend some time just trying to recognize your own thought processes as you go throughout the day. It is honestly amazing sometimes how quickly the mind can work, and if you pay a little more attention you can sometimes notice that you tend to think about two to five sentences worth of thoughts across the course of one normal language-based thought.

Learning to pay attention to this level of thinking is often very helpful when dealing with doubt issues such as this. I wouldn’t so much recommend to attempt to endlessly be in control of every thought you make. However, being able to pay attention to that level of thought is often very good for assessing and realizing what trains of thought or mindsets lead to you feeling like your tulpa isn’t exactly not-you. Those trains of thought can be avoided while forcing for the sake of fostering progress, and then examined later on when you are not trying to actually communicate.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely getting better with each revision. Most of my quibbles at this point are minor writing style things. I do still feel like some of it was lost since the original version, but it seems I'm in the minority as far as that is concerned.

I wonder if the rest of the GAT has any thoughts.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely getting better with each revision. Most of my quibbles at this point are minor writing style things. I do still feel like some of it was lost since the original version, but it seems I'm in the minority as far as that is concerned.

I wonder if the rest of the GAT has any thoughts.

I agree with you that some of it was lost, but that can wait for another time/guide.

I can look over it again for anything obvious about my writing, but is there anything specific you dislike?