Telling when you have a tulpa

reguile

Yeah, I think it's fine. Approved for Tips. I went ahead and split the thread off. The OP is yours so you can edit it as you want, same with the thread title - recommend you edit the final guide into the OP. Also added a [sentience] tag, tell me if you want it changed or whatever.

Also, not sure if you missed what I said or disregarded it, but here it is again:

Some threads speaks of tulpa sometimes as if they are simply other people, but in others speak of them as if there is hardly a distinguishing factor between the tulpa and the host.

This wording was confusing at first for me. Maybe it's just me but that second part almost reads like "as if there's no difference between a tulpa and another person" rather than "as if the tulpa sounds pretty much like the host".

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In time, the more you practice engaging with that character, the easier it becomes to think like them, to know exactly what they would say, how they would react. That is ideally a tulpa, right?

Well, no. What ideally is a tulpa is one that surprises you, one that you can't get down perfectly because the moment you think you really know what they will say next, they actually throw you out of the loop and say something completely different because they act like a real person. Now that is a tulpa. One that can surprise you like any other person, instead of just a character you understand completely because you created them and you know exactly what is going on in their heads because you are them, in the end.

Also I feel like you either meant to comment on the old one, because this guide has nothing to do with him claiming that they aren't sapient...? It just feels kind of off-topic. This is something else the thread split kind of confuses, I have no idea which one you are commenting on.

Anyways, I don't think your idea to split the topic was a good idea, waffles. Not only did the guide writer know for sure what they wanted to do, two others thought it would be better as a new thread. Right now the first post doesn't actually have the thing they wrote and the votes will be on third page after two pages of stuff that is completely useless to this guide as they were comments on a WIP project.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I don't really know where I'd put this... It originally seemed like something that could be at home in resources, but upon inspection it wouldn't really fit in.

I'll go with the majority so far here and relegate it to tips and tricks for lack of a more specific area that it would fit better into.

Also, not sure if you missed what I said or disregarded it, but here it is again:

I didn't do either, I did try to make changes to that part, although maybe I undid them somehow or didn't change it enough?

Anyways, I don't think your idea to split the topic was a good idea, waffles. Not only did the guide writer know for sure what they wanted to do, two others thought it would be better as a new thread. Right now the first post doesn't actually have the thing they wrote and the votes will be on third page after two pages of stuff that is completely useless to this guide as they were comments on a WIP project.

I edited my post to have the full guide as it stands now, at least.

Well, no. What ideally is a tulpa is one that surprises you, one that you can't get down perfectly because the moment you think you really know what they will say next, they actually throw you out of the loop and say something completely different because they act like a real person. Now that is a tulpa. One that can surprise you like any other person, instead of just a character you understand completely because you created them and you know exactly what is going on in their heads because you are them, in the end.

I've been thinking about what you've said. A tulpa that speaks and acts spontaneously, in other words? If you know a tulpa inside out (this includes how great their potential to change eg. overcome fears, become wiser) and you practice achieving that flowing, painless conversation, then you won't have to think too hard about how they would behave. Their behaviour becomes like second nature, and that is what adds to their realism.

Perhaps I look at it differently, and my methods might not be the same either. My 'best' tulpa, if you like, is one whose personality and potential I've thought through. Even then, he's always coming up with things I've not seen in him before, so I guess my way of thinking works best for me.

Well, whatever you think hardly matters if the end result is the same and the tupper isn't predictable. At that point you hardly know them inside out in my eyes, as there are things you have missed and things they come up with that you have no way of knowing before you witness it. So hey, say whatever you want. Either you don't know them as well as you think or they're a pretty immature tupper that hasn't had the chance to really become themselves yet.

As for the guide, I guess there's nothing I really object to and we have talked about it in such detail previously that I don't really have to bother to repeat myself, I'm sure. No reason for me to disapprove, though having your guide in a quote block is a bit strange and I don't exactly understand this stylistic choice. Whatever though, right? No reason for me to disapprove and most seem to be fine with it going to tips and tricks, so I have nothing against that either.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

• 2 months later...