Eros The Overthinker

Critique on the decline of a community

I cannot read through all this right now, I read the first post of this thread and am commenting so I can come back later easily.

I agree with the points of the first post, my first visit here was in 2013 and it was a thriving community full of helpful people and guides.

I came back two years later and it looks like theres <30 posts a day, the IRC isn't very active without prodding, and the guides are such a fustercluck I gave up trying to look through them.

“Eragon looked back at him, confused. "I don't understand."

"Of course you don't," said Brom impatiently. "That's why I'm teaching you and not the other way around.”

I can agree with this conflict ever since I began to rummage through the site and happen to stumble upon issues that is happening here. I do hope that these problems will stop soon but now since there's awareness, there's a good chance that hopefully most people will understand.

Kiahdaj made a really good point about this problem but I can't bear the fact of risking of banning someone who is truly trying their best, only to be removed from the community from sounding disbelievable. I'll note that I have notice that some PR's and other threads that people made were either irrelevant to its purpose or had failed to recognise the necessities of the rules that had been placed for the specific board. yet, I still can not effectively understand why would anyone would attempt to roleplay when there is little to no reason why they would do it; possibly to disrupt the community but I remain certain that some people could've misconceived the information that was created for all of us, even though it was pressured to take things into consideration(I had misunderstood of what some information that I was reading and became clear once I found similar sources that I could better understand). Overall for what I had read of this addressed the issue was firmly true in all other standpoints from what I have experienced.

Forgive me for being fairly new with forums and anything that I said made you question me but I do not wish for this forum or community to be barren ever since I have found the idea tulpas. Tulpas are the most fascinating discoveries that I had ever conceive and mainly wish to learn more.

Yes, mistakenly banning a user who is not lying knowingly has always been our concern on the matter. If we could know for sure who was lying, there wouldn't be a problem.

However, I do think there is a rather simple solution. The problem here is not just new users joining and making outrageous claims, but that they are making outrageous claims, and refuse to believe any other possibilities, or explanations as to what they are experiencing. For example, when it comes to instant tulpas, or 50+ tulpas, or almost any other of those outlandish claims, I could offer an explanation as to why you are experiencing what you are experiencing. The problem is that a lot of them will not listen. If they would even accept the possibility that there might be another explanation for what they are experiencing, then things would be a lot better.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Since this has been posted I have yet to see a good resolution, and a few more of the people holding the community together have left. Perhaps I have been guilty of blogging a little bit on my progress report, I will take note of that and stop myself.

The issue is no one is coming in and stepping into the shoes of the the members holding it down. Truthfully I know of only a dozen or so members who hold things down. When I look at old threads I see that there were scores of people like that, I was browsing Here awhile back in 2012. All I see is kids and insane people these days. New people are coming in, popping open the threads at the top of the list and seeing that. Reasonable people see that and leave, and people of the same ilk come and stay.

I feel like there should be a subsection that is invite only and based on behavior. So that the people on it are screened. Maybe it could be the only section non-registered members see, and it would have stickies of guides and such. Realistically a mass banning would be the only other fix for this mess. The community is getting pretty far gone.

I feel like there should be a subsection that is invite only and based on behavior. So that the people on it are screened. Maybe it could be the only section non-registered members see, and it would have stickies of guides and such.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I believe that would solve the animosity between these two schools of thought.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I've come to the conclusion that the Metaphysics board was a mistake, it did nothing but to invite the kind of special snowflakes we were trying to avoid back when .info got started and "For Science!" was our motto, not just a tagline.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I don't exactly understand that subsection suggestion. What IS it, what would we do in it? Would it be like my idea for a "strict science board", where the more serious members had more serious discussion? That comes with issues of its own, such as segregating certain members from the rest of the forum. And can members still see it once they register? If not, that causes a lot of problems, and if so, it's a pretty big turnoff to be disallowed to participate. See this: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-strict-science-board

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

I don't like any of the "new, serious board" ideas. As I've said before, we don't want to funnel all of our good members and content into another section. I would like the the entire site to become respectable and reasonable. The community underestimates the power it has to foster the kind of users that it wants. Not all such things can or should be done by the staff. We certainly could help out—and I'm always open to ideas—but a lot of it has to do with people being more vocal, and setting examples for other users.

The staff is working on some things that will hopefully make the community more presentable, in the long term. But a lot of the power still rests with all of you.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

The subsection would just cause more of a rift between the good and bad, and that would probably leave us with a shittier board outside of it, scaring away any people that are interested in tulpas. And even then, what kind of behavior would be good for that kind of invite-only forum?