On switching, and defining terms in this community.

Yuki

I've never liked that wonderland part. I can completely dissociate myself to the point where I feel effectively like one of my tulpas would, ie aware of what's going on if I want to be but not connected regardless (like how your tulpas can know you're in pain but not react themselves). But I can't "simultaneously imagine myself in the wonderland", unless my tulpa was doing the equivalent of wonderlanding like I would, which we have done before. But I don't like that definition at all, because we can't parallel process - my tulpas themselves can't imagine themselves in the wonderland while I'm thinking of other things. And there's no reason that should shunt what we do out of the qualifications for "switching". We're literally switching places as host and tulpa, so what are we if not switching? Possessing, full-body possessing? But they aren't taking control of the body while I remain the center focus for the mind. They are literally who "me" is while switched, aside from any lingering attachments they have to things I've set up (like our appearance, relationships or environment).

I don't care to really argue though. I don't understand why anyone wants that definition in the first place, so I can't formulate a fair counterargument. I saw a lot of discrimination from #tuppers because of it, though. I still hold that switching places with your tulpa has nothing to do with parallel processing ability, or lack thereof.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

I just define switching as something that is impossible for me to achieve.

Maybe one day we'll be able to contribute to such a daunting challenge like you.

But for now I cannot, so I must grieve.

Have you yet noticed the rhyme or two?

I wish I could be a part of the group

But for now my switching skills seem to be poop.

In other words "I can't switch"

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

We're literally switching places as host and tulpa, so what are we if not switching? Possessing, full-body possessing? But they aren't taking control of the body while I remain the center focus for the mind. They are literally who "me" is while switched, aside from any lingering attachments they have to things I've set up (like our appearance, relationships or environment).

I think the definition put forth that includes the wonderland may not be accurately titled. Yeah, you can switch without a wonderland. No, I don't think it's the same level of immersion, for lack of a better word, as the switching where completely going to the wonderland without awareness of the outside world. While I agree with you that what you're doing is accurate in that it's "switching places," I'd still state that it's not the level of switching being discussed in the last few replies, if that makes sense.

I don't care to really argue though. I don't understand why anyone wants that definition in the first place, so I can't formulate a fair counterargument. I saw a lot of discrimination from #tuppers because of it, though. I still hold that switching places with your tulpa has nothing to do with parallel processing ability, or lack thereof.

No, switching places with your tulpa does not require parallel processing. However, "switching" when used to describe deeply dissociated (end of the proposed spectrum) immersion does to some degree.

Possession has tiers, imposition has tiers, even things like vocality have tiers. No reason you can't separate depth of switching in the same way. Otherwise you're just excluding an entire part of the phenomenon.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

Possession has tiers, imposition has tiers, even things like vocality have tiers. No reason you can't separate depth of switching in the same way. Otherwise you're just excluding an entire part of the phenomenon.

Pretty sure that I'm down with the spectrum idea regarding possession/switching. I was replying with the thought that you were against dissociation playing a role on that spectrum. If I was incorrect about that, I apologize.

I agree that switching and other skills exist in tiers. Both definitions of switching describe two separate experiences, yet switching is an appropriate word for both. I think there is value in regarding switching as the traditional definition of separation from the physical senses. There are different tiers or types. For example, something like the following, in my experience.

Switching Tier 1 (I've heard eclipsing used for this distinction)

The host, upon entering the switched state or sometime after may enter a dormant state while not completely dissociating from their physical senses. The host can remain in this limited state which can gradually progress to almost completely losing all awareness of the body. While in this state, the host may experience a variety of cognitive suppressions including ego loss, rendering them mostly inactive. One may be unable to communicate without the attention of the tulpa, or may resort to non-linguistic conceptual thinking to communicate. One may experience hypnogogia in this state, flashes of disorganized and weak internal hallucinations or thoughts separate from physical awareness. If this state is maintained for some period of time, reverting the switch may need to be initiated or helped by the tulpa.

Switching Tier 2

Following from the previous tier, this is achieved when the host is dissociated from the physical body. If there is any awareness of the body, it is comparable to the perception of ones physical body when dreaming. The host may lose awareness in this state, resulting in a black out until something triggers them back into consciousness. This may initially be disconcerting for the host, as one may not realize a black out occurred until emerging from one. Memory of the time the tulpa was in control may be blurry or non-existent. Entering this level happens seemingly instantaneously, accompanied by a sudden disconnection from the physical senses. Internal hallucinations at this level are all-encompassing, detailed and dream-like. The disconnection from physical stimuli greatly increases immersion in wonderland. One may experience lucidity or dream-like plot acceptance, and may get distracted by the content of the hallucinations. These hallucinations may be well-defined, yet lack the vividness of reality or lucid dreaming. Sense of time in this state is distorted, as one may drift out of lucidity or remain disconnected for several hours. The altered state experienced by the host while switching is experienced as comforting and serene. The duration and stability of this state is dependent on practice or natural affinity.

I'd also differentiate switching and full body imposition by the mental effects of switching. In my experience switching is accompanied by the sensation that her thoughtstream is replacing and overwhelming mine, before I dissociate. Full body possession feels like you're still in the drivers seat mentally.

KayAshley

I'd also differentiate switching and full body imposition by the mental effects of switching. In my experience switching is accompanied by the sensation that her thoughtstream is replacing and overwhelming mine, before I dissociate. Full body possession feels like you're still in the drivers seat mentally.

What is full body imposition? Unless you mean full body possession, in which case I agree with you. I think full body possession is often used interchangeably with the term switching when one person means the heavily dissociated form and the other means full body possession. It's certainly fun to talk about the semantics of this sort of thing, even if at the end of the day there will still be confusion among experienced people and new ones.

What is full body imposition? Unless you mean full body possession, in which case I agree with you. I think full body possession is often used interchangeably with the term switching when one person means the heavily dissociated form and the other means full body possession. It's certainly fun to talk about the semantics of this sort of thing, even if at the end of the day there will still be confusion among experienced people and new ones.

Oops, that's what I meant.

KayAshley

[Tri] Kaytwo, we really like your system of two tiers of switching. The first, is not necessarily eclipsing, though the path of eclipsing is one way to get to that stage.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.