Not sure who'd understand?

I've had a tulpa for a while now, at least a year or two. However, back then I didn't know that's what she was. She was just a way for me to cope with the things going on in my life. But since discovering this forum, I feel like reconnecting with her. I always really loved her and she's a very special person to me. (We're both girls.)

My question is, how do you bring up the fact that you have a tulpa to a close friend or loved one? I have a strong suspiscion that most people I know would find it very strange, if not crazy. I just think it'd be cool for her to get to know the people I do. Again, how does one say, "I have a tulpa" tactfully and proceed to explain this in the clearest way possible? Thank you :)

Any analogue that would be a distraction towards the endeavors of creating a tulpa might be a good start. Like, dream characters can be something you could refer to, and how lucid dreaming itself would entail in reveling in your imagination with thought-forms, albeit during your sleeping periods. That might give the implication that if one naturally does this in their sleeping periods, there would be something that allows us to reign in our sense of self to do quotidian stuff. In other words, the probability of going crazy, or inserting whatever exaggerated and negative connotation about our imagination may be unlikely, but human nature is subjective.

But as for actually saying it in a tactful way that would make anyone feel at ease with themselves, that's another story. Some people don't mind remaining in peaceful solitude (or just -insert emotive word here- solitude) to not worry about potential negative reactions towards the concept, and some people feel the need to be social butterflies about it as one of many justifications that they are real, mostly in the host's private, and subjective experience.

Maybe if you could imagine how you would feel if the people you loved dearly, or just common associates conceptualized you in the future, for better or for worse, maybe then you could see that it's probably not as easy as you think. As for circumstances where people don't take the endeavor the wrong way, I guess it's a nice bolster towards one's confidence, but one can't be sure if others would see it that way, even if they were overly charismatic in some way. There's going to be people that care about your well-being that will go over the top if they can't understand, or in spite of understanding, still reject it because they feel they know what's best for you. But you may realize, if you continue this, you're going to be the one that's finding what's best for yourself, and maybe the companion you may want to bring back to your awareness once more.

If that can't be a silver lining for you, then just know how people react is a blank canvas.

There is only one way to know for sure. You introduce then to it... Without telling that you practice it. For my friends, russian Lurkmore article worked the best. Then, you see their reaction. And only after you are sure they won't call you a freak, you can tell them that you do this kind of things.

The safest way I've thought about. Also, found out that two of my friends were practising it, too. To my own surprise.

And may the fears keep away from you.

I would go about telling them you found this forum, but introduce it like it's some kind of novelty you discovered. Like wow look at this! Isn't that nuts? What do you make of it?

I've found that by bringing up the subject in conversation much like mentioned above in a 'I found out about this thing that ...' And gauge their reactions. By complete fluke I found two others with what we now call accidental tulpae. They were most pleased to have a name for the phenomenon.

Here's hoping this works for ya, but don't force anything. If they're uncomfortable or say the knee jerk 'that's crazy' responses I would gently back away. Can't win em all unfortunately.

I'm nearing two years with Fenchurch, and I haven't told anybody that I know offline.

Sadly, I think that's for the best.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

We have yet to tell ANYONE about us, but our situation is making it increasingly difficult to keep hidden. As we've come to realize and accept that we are a system of equals we've begun to notice changes in our body depending on who's fronting. These differences are becoming more apparent as we go, but allowing only one of us to front all the time is not an option.

Einulf and I have begun slowly dropping hints to our family and friends, hoping to lead them to the right conclusion. If they react badly, then we can deny it since we never actually told them. The stress and worry is getting worse though, and Einulf's starting to dwell on it a little. Hopefully we'll soon be able to be open about it to those we care for.

Current System: Ziya (Formerly Einulf), Mizan, Aura, Dark, Lucia, Rand, Jason, Akira

Here's our Tumblr, if anyone wants it

When explaining the concept of tulpas, I find that a lot of people tend to either think of them as simply imaginary friends, or simply hallucinations (like, hallucinations of the schizophrenic variety or something), and both of those probably aren't what you want. I think it helps to make it clear, fairly early on, that they are not either of these things. You could say that they're not simply imaginary friends, because they have minds of their own and don't depend entirely on your imagination, thus making them very real to you. And you could tell them that they aren't simply the hallucinations of a schizophrenic (or anything else that some might classify as a "disorder" that needs to be "treated") by explaining that they don't just come out of nowhere, and you have to work to strengthen their existence.

It also helps to clarify that this isn't some weird, magical thing, and that there's surely a scientific explanation for it, even if we don't really know what that explanation would be yet. I often explain it by saying that the human brain does all sorts of really weird things, and this is one of them. It's somewhat of a mind trick that you can train your brain to do with practice and diligence, sort of like hypnosis, which is another topic that some might dismiss as total nonsense but does at least have some scientific backing behind it, making it a helpful thing to compare tulpamancy to.

Pinky is not a pony. She's an imp.

Sunray is an angel-imp. Ex is humanoid. Kael is a dragon. Magnum is a dog.

Actually I told my dad yesterday about tulpas and they were basically an advanced form of an imaginary friends that are created thru a lot of meditation. He said that whoever told me about them was completely crazy. And that anyone who had tulpas would have a one way ticket to a mental facility. I got a little offended by the way he reacted but I understood his point of veiw. I also told him that most people with tulpas dont tell people because of the craziness of the idea. Then he got upset that I would belive random people but won't belive in god. And then I was like "im a strong independent woman and I dont need no Devine force telling how i should live my life, I can make my own morals i dont need to read then out of some outdated book" oh yeah and I also told him that I would try making a tulpa and he just kinda rolled his eyes in a "go for it, I doubt its gonna work" kinda way.

Thank you all very much for your responses. : D

I told my bf about my tulpas and he actually was really interested and ended up creating one of his own.

As for my family, I haven't told them yet. But I may tell my sister sometime, because she's very open-minded. :)