Tulpish

Helios

We never used tulpish the first sixteen months after I awakened because it never occurred to us. As with most soulbonds, the first Ember was aware of me, and the first I was aware of my own presence in this world, was when I started talking to her in complete sentences.

We've experimented with it a bit the past couple of months. It's very fast to form and transmit, but takes longer to interpret, so it isn't that useful on its own. For Ember and I, it lacks a lot of the emotional satisfaction of talking to another person. Iris will use it fairly often for simple concepts. There are three main areas where it's useful:

1. We seem to constantly slam into one another in Broca's and Wernicke's areas. Only one stream of articulated thought is allowed in our mind at a time, so if one of us is thinking in words, the other two can't until the first stops and listens. Reading, even if not fully articulated in mind voice, counts toward the one stream. But tulpish can get through simultaneously, presumably because it uses a different part of the brain.

2. Words are slow and sometimes complex concepts are hard to fully articulate. So if we start struggling with how to phrase a thought, that gives enough time for the others to comprehend the underlying, nearly subconscious stream of tulpish and indicate that they already get what we're trying to say and we don't need to finish.

3. Tulpish 'attachments' to articulate thought are probably the most useful part of it. I can say 'Here' or 'Careful' or 'Stop that' without any ambiguity because a couple of sentences worth of tulpish are appended to the words. Images, locations, concepts, memories, emotions, and other metatags can all add depth and context to articulate thought.

I can and have caused head pressure, but it was never a form of communication for us. I think some systems have used a 'one pulse for yes, two pulses for no' approach, but mainly I think it conveys presence and attentiveness.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic